So I run into threads on the boards quite frequently about how people have never gotten one, a lot of the comments are people who also haven't, so I've started wondering how many people have gotten a penta before and how many still haven't. If you have gotten one and you have a story to go with it please post it in the comments.
Raith alghul
My favorite penta was with Sona in a normal. :3 I think my first penta was with Graves?
I was looking around at names I wanted to change my name to, and I found a few I would've liked to change my name to. but it turns out they're like level 20's that haven't played since 2013, Cmonnn I want a different name. pls Rito.
Hasagi Mazaki
Hiya! Account names have a bit of immunity when it comes to being snatched up for being inactive! You can out how long an account can be inactive before the name becomes available [here](https://support.riotgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/201751914-Summoner-Name-Clean-Up-).
> [{quoted}](name=Riot KateyKhaos,realm=NA,application-id=mNBeEEkI,discussion-id=9a26KOde,comment-id=0003,timestamp=2015-05-22T20:21:23.837+0000) > > Unfortunately, we don't announce if a skin for a champion is in the works or not. D: Is this a new policy? Because we've always heard stuff like "yeah we're working on a new .... skin" if asked. No details given, but a yes or no was usually said. That's how we knew Lux had a skin in the works and, ironically, Diana a few months before her last skin came out.
Jikker
> [{quoted}](name=Jikker,realm=NA,application-id=mNBeEEkI,discussion-id=9a26KOde,comment-id=00030002,timestamp=2015-05-22T20:43:53.181+0000) > > Is this a new policy? Because we've always heard stuff like "yeah we're working on a new .... skin" if asked. No details given, but a yes or no was usually said. That's how we knew Lux had a skin in the works and, ironically, Diana a few months before her last skin came out. I wouldn't say it's new. We've moved away from saying something is in the works because not every skin concept we come up with ends up making it to live. Several concepts have been shelved to potentially come back later, or scrapped entirely. It'd be a pretty crappy situation for us to say, we're making a skin for x champion, and either not deliver, or substantially postpone it.
A little disappointed to not see [this link](http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/story-art/0lfN1fln-the-separate-disscussion) mentioned, although I definitely appreciate this as a good way for me to catch up on other threads I've missed this week. Thanks! EDIT - or I just assumed that the link i posted wasn't there because I presumed the related link was to a different thread. Remember kids. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REeEbSb9gio
rinsujo
https://i.imgflip.com/lvk81.jpg
> [{quoted}](name=ADillonMostDirty,realm=NA,application-id=cIfEodbz,discussion-id=u6UAnTMy,comment-id=00020000,timestamp=2015-05-22T01:49:31.478+0000) > > Hey Terra, > > Can you elaborate on how you felt that particular thread was glossed over? We aim for the summaries to be both compelling and as accurate / comprehensive as possible, but given space limitations meeting those criteria (and any other specific requirements) can certainly be a challenge. Thanks for the feedback! Gladly, The reason behind the thread you linked by [Mirage Night](http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/story-art/0lfN1fln-the-separate-disscussion) is that it stemmed from a discussion in this thread, started by[ Lao Fu the Tiger ](http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/story-art/Ql5gi7Ah-okay-im-not-huge-into-the-lore-but-even-i-think-ekkos-lore-is-disappointing). In Lao's thread, which was about the lack of lore coming about Ekko (the PBE client lore was just leaked) ShadowStorm came and said, in essence,_ "Geez, guys wait until the full lore is released before you draw your pitchforks."_ A reasonable suggestion to any other group of League fans. However, League's lore fans have been the most mistreated and ignored members of the community by Riot over the past four years, so to say this was particularly arrogant and ill-advised. In essence, ShadowStorm created another kinds of storm (no pun intended) that went on until the conversation moved to Mirage's thread. That extra context puts the thread you linked into a better perspective. Therefore, I would have written your summary as: >After starting a storm of a different kind in another thread, Riot Shadowstorm joined in this discussion started by Mirage Night about the latest champion story pieces and to discuss specific questions and offer his personal perspective on League lore’s direction. Or something to that effect.
TerraRising
Hey Terra, Appreciate you taking the time to clarify. Given the rather charged (INTENDED) conversation in those two threads, we definitely made an extra effort to keep the summary objective - we want these blurbs to provide the wide variety of players who may read them with context but hopefully not bias. Regardless, your feedback is useful, and your more fundamental point about the preceding thread containing valuable context is of course well taken. Thanks!
There has been a lot of random discussion with people wondering how the new "machine learning" system is actually smart? Would be great if you could get Lyte or someone on that team to elaborate. Could be a thread for next week's summary.
Phero
Thanks for the thought, we'll definitely keep an eye out.
My name is Dillon xD
ExecutorDill
Do you too conduct war eternal with the Dylan's of this world?
All i know is it happend to me 3 times, this post was all about bringing attention to it. Nothing more, so i hope it gets fixed for some reason it doesn't happen every time so idont know if its a glitch in the system or what. But i know my rp was 95 less after the people bailed from champion select. And for people that think its a waste well to me it isn't, because it really makes the group happier the only waste is when it does not return the rp if someone bails.
smeagledorf
Hey Smeagledorf, We haven't found an incident where this has happened yet. However, if you have a specific example, or even a day you know it happened on, please let me know! I want to investigate it to make sure it doesn't happen again. If you don't actually play the ARAM, you should not lose RP. Period.
why are the rp boards hidden but GD isn't? riot is obviously ashamed of GD so why dont they just hide it?
F03
To my knowledge, this was something they voted on. Recently, there's been discussion of making the board [public](http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/roleplaying/Et4ds3zt-regarding-your-public-private-poll).
If so, roughly how far along in development is it? I don't need details or spoilers, just curious. My crazy moon lady needs a lil more shine.
Cosmosaurus
Unfortunately, we don't announce if a skin for a champion is in the works or not. D:
git gud rito and release fab gemswag. U got 14 days or a poro will die http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/282/0/5/ravenous_poro_by_axlrosie-d7206pc.png
Maegges
Your demand is truly, truly outrageous!
Hey summoners, It has been a few days that the [High Stakes theme](http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/news/champions-skins/skin-release/make-your-own-luck-high-stakes-skins) has come out and having bought the Morde skin I was just a little bit dissapointed by the fact that it doesn't have the same appeal that [the splash art/loading image](http://www.newsoflegends.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/MordekaiserLoadScreen_5.png) shows. It really has a shiny light green that I really like but as you can see in the [3D model](http://media-titanium.cursecdn.com/attachments/65/975/mordekaiserkingofclubsmv.jpg), it's pretty plain and [blends a bit too much](http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-7ODkUQ2MIP8/VUGX3DaRhLI/AAAAAAAApHw/NUB9xiZght0/s1600/MORDEKAISERTURN.jpg) with summoner's rift. My suggestion is to [light up the model ](http://i.imgur.com/D4VeVpH.jpg)and meets what the splash art really shows. (or alternatively darken the splash if it's too much to ask) Thanks :) {{summoner:31}}
Legendarmy
Lighting in splash is a bit different than in game. The promo itself has [in game](http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/news/champions-skins/skin-release/make-your-own-luck-high-stakes-skins) shots, so you can see what it will look like when you load in. :]
That's awesome. I want to get two cats and name them Ratchet and Daxter.
GiantRobotCamels
Ratchet and Clank was one of my favorite games growing up! :D
> [{quoted}](name=Riot KateyKhaos,realm=NA,application-id=mNBeEEkI,discussion-id=esLAo4E8,comment-id=0000,timestamp=2015-05-21T23:45:18.458+0000) > > :3! > > These are one of my favorite animals! They're also endangered and being illegally captured and traded, tend not to live long in captivity because they're afraid of they're surroundings and don't eat very much
MrBuffington
> [{quoted}](name=MrBuffington,realm=NA,application-id=mNBeEEkI,discussion-id=esLAo4E8,comment-id=00000001,timestamp=2015-05-22T01:40:13.004+0000) > > They're also endangered and being illegally captured and traded, tend not to live long in captivity because they're afraid of they're surroundings and don't eat very much Yeah. D: It's super sad.
The Story: So Riot recently just finished that API challenge. As it happens, my roommates entered (and got runner-up, you can check it out here: http://red3141.github.io/UrfChallenge2015/ ) Anyway, you'll notice it doesn't have any music. While I'm not sure what the original plan was there, one morning I woke up and thought - I can do that. So I dusted off my old milkytracker (which I never really learned to use in the first place) and got to work. Since the game is all about URF, I found a recording of the URF login-screen music and decided to re-create it, chip-tune style. About half-way through the process, I discovered they couldn't use it since that'd be three people. Too bad, I finished it anyway. Some notes: I never actually learned milkytracker before so this was my first project and a huge learning experience. If there are things you think suck - they probably do. I _probably_ am already aware of them, but please let me know your suggestions or criticisms. You'll notice the lack of manatee sounds - I was too lazy to make an extra 6 sequences to add random things to it. Erm, yeah. Have fun and stuff!
ConcernedSheep
Niiiice! This is cool!!!
Dear rito what dose Ekko think about Ao Shin ,has he met him acros time? And isn't Ekko supose to age outside of his time travel? Cuz for him the time passez in a linear way right?
Ciro8
Ekko ages in or out of time-travel. In fact, you might see him beat the tar out of someone and make it look like he saw everything coming, and made every move perfectly the first time. However, in that 30 seconds, Ekko actually experienced that same span of linear reality over 200 times until he got it right. In other words, in that 30 seconds, Ekko aged 1 hour and 40 minutes. Some things he can never get back...
> [{quoted}](name=Jaredan,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=tOAW1X15,comment-id=000b0000,timestamp=2015-05-22T09:58:52.106+0000) > > You would be amazed at how many times I speak about money when it comes to the deciding factor in making creative decisions. By that I mean I can't remember ever doing that. > > My role is one that supports Narrative in particular, and then the teams that we work within. I have never been in a room talking about whether to make something from a story standpoint, including format or cadence, based on how much money it will make Riot. > > Ever. > > It's one of the many things I love about my extremely privileged position in working at Riot. You might not believe me, as if you would have told me that before I joined I might not have believed it either. Right or wrong, we make what we think players will love. Not what will sell the most. > > It's who we are. Seriously. Champion descriptions with more than just 2 paragraphs would be nice tho :b
Solaxo
Yes they would. I'm looking forward to being able to show them to you.
> [{quoted}](name=Jaredan,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=kGhinZuR,comment-id=00000000000000000000,timestamp=2015-05-22T09:17:41.614+0000) > > Though he does long for the past as being the Glorious Ruler of Shurima, what Azir is unaware of, and what puts him into a vulnerable position, is that he doesn't understand how much Runeterra has changed since the empire fell. > > Azir lost his family (or so it appears...), and grasps at the power and importance that he thinks still exists in order to make himself whole again, through his people. He believes himself benevolent (something Xerath may have been very wrong about), and that Shurima can only fully return through his guidance and will. > > There's a good chance he's got more to be sad about than he currently has any idea of. And if Xerath has anything to do with it, he will learn an extremely painful lesson. THIS IS WHAT PEOPLE WANT! You just revealed more of Azir's character and current inner struggle than anyone could have surmised from the information freely available about him. I think as someone who is on the lore team, knows the events that are coming, and basically knows the soul of the characters inside and out, it must difficult to see where all this harsh criticism is coming from. But I believe the lore team really needs to try to see from the community's perspective. We have so little information that we don't have a reason to be excited about the future of a characters story because we don't have even a slightest hint of what's could even _potentially_ happen. This information that you've just nonchalantly commented on about Azir, while to you may seem to be common knowledge because you know who Azir is, is to us a never before seen glimpse into the the mind of a character we know so little about. This is why the lore fans have been so upset over the lack of interaction with the lore team. Because even information like this which may seem so small to you, can have a huge affect on how the fans view a champion. We want more of that, but for so long you couldn't even provide that. Throw us a bone, man!
DynamiteGazelle
Happy to. Honestly, there are few things in life I like more than just talking character motivation. I'll answer these types of questions until the cows come home (that's one messy carpet), and it makes me kind of bounce around in my chair while I do. It's honestly just very difficult at the moment to be here as much as I want to, but I will definitely be here more than I have been.
Well, kinda hard to engage with you when it´s mostly guesswork what you are working on and what can be influenced right now. For me the most important topic right there would be how to avoid the next trundle/xerath, where you completly alter the Character/Motivations of an already existing Champion - sth. that has been addressed by the Community quite frequently but never got a real response/discussion. Aswell as the more foundamental discussion why anyone would want to seperate gameplay and story in the first place - it´s the unique advantage of this medium and I´d rather see you guys try to work with your medium instead of resignating and changing the medium altogether...there´s nothing wrong with having comics, written tales and vids - but by no means that should lead to completely seperating gameplay and storytelling. Preretcon the lore did a decent job of connecting story&gameplay, i really still don´t understand why you just crashed it instead of working with it and enhance it.
Don Eulrich
Let's start with Singed and Warwick.
I thought they made it quite clear last time (after the initial misunderstanding, that is). Don't suggest story, discuss characters. What motivates Singed and Warwick? I think that Warwick's interaction with Soraka is important to both of them. Warwick losing control is a necessary part of his character, but seeing some human traits might work, so long as they aren't sentimental. Things like that are fine. Suggesting storyline - I want Singed and Warwick to travel to Bilgewater together blah blah blah? Not fine. The discussion of Xerath's change is the right type of discussion - What made Xerath Xerath-y - It just needs to happen before the lore change this time around.
qetzel
This is precisely it. And expressed much better than I did, thanks (I really should try to get a few hours sleep).
> [{quoted}](name=Jaredan,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=617LLUV8,comment-id=00040000000100000000000000000000000000000001,timestamp=2015-05-22T09:35:47.125+0000) > > To be honest, it's because of not wanting to set expectations on timeline and so on. Also, just to be open with you, we may still decide that changes are necessary. However, I will say that we've been looking at Singed and Warwick due to the longstanding inconsistencies that exist in their story. I've been looking through various threads to get input on what the essences of those characters are and they've been included in our thinking. > > This is part of an on-going effort to address a large number of issues in the current bios. I didn't start up another thread since I've been back in the saddle mainly as there have been some really good ones already. If you fine folks want to talk specifically about them in the very immediate present (and nothing has been finalized on them yet, which is why I'm bringing them up), then that's certainly an opportunity to get your feedback that I'd be happy to engage with. If we do this, the absolute first thing you need to do is set up the rules of engagement. What you're looking for and how it should be formatted so you can comfortably read it without violating your "legal reasons." It has been a problem, Jaredan, ever since the last time you came in here, apologized for your silence, then ran off to parts unknown. You need to do that before anything else. Otherwise, we're going to waste time with long story idea posts and nothing happening because of it.
TerraRising
Rules of engagement: Tell us what the most important aspects are of those Champions that already exist and that you feel are vital. What aspects of their character, their personality, their motivations and the things they have done do you think make them wonderful to you. And this isn't a rule, but just to be clear, I didn't run off. The reason for my recent absence is just a private matter I'd prefer not to discuss. The timing was horrendous in light of my commitment to being here more regularly, but it was unavoidable and out of my hands. Still, my apologies, I detest not following through on promises.
A leeeeetle bit more transparency would be nice, though. Less "surprise!!", more teasers.
Siggó
Fair enough. We'll try to tease a bit more when we can.
Well honestly, If a rioter came her with "Narrative" under their name, do you seriously think people will listen to them as they are burned alive?
kitcat300
I hope they would listen when I scream, "HEY! YOU WITH THE FIRE HOSE! HELP!"
I'm beginning to suspect this may be true. We know for a fact there's no longer a Senior Narrative Designer (Job listing has been up for quite some time) - It looks like there aren't any other Narrative positions open (besides an Archivist) but... Without a Designer (director?) what use is a team?
rinsujo
We're just looking for more Senior Narrative Writers. We have some already.
Plot twist - there's no an exclusively dedicated narrative team.
Migrañaboy
Yes there is, though we're more of a discipline (we bring the Narrative craft to teams that make products).
> [{quoted}](name=Noctes setcoN,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=p70VEgLh,comment-id=0008,timestamp=2015-05-21T11:28:51.563+0000) > > At this point I doubt the narrative team will show up much if at all in these kinds of threads, not until they actually have something complete to present to us. > > And I don't blame them. Yes there are some people here who are willing to have civil discussions about the lore, but most of the time they're having to deal with an angry circlejerk mob. Better to just leave them to actually work on the lore as opposed to having to get stressed out over people yelling at them through their monitors and calling for their resignation. > > And before anyone says anything about them NOT working on the lore or not doing their job, you don't know that. You do NOT know what it is they have planned. You do NOT know what they're currently working on. Yes it would be nice to KNOW what it is they're working on, but the last time Riot gave us some early insight into things they planned before they were "past the point of no return" in terms of completion, we got Magma Chamber and Ao Shin (while they say he's still upcoming, we have no idea if he actually is or not, nor when). > > So, as I said, better to just have patience, play the game, and wait until they have something near complete to show us. That's all we can do, really. We already have this situation. "Lore is coming, just wait!" It wouldn't hurt them to tell us their strategy for doing it. They've already made the promise and broken it by waiting nearly a year.
Loken Stoneheart
Strategy: keep creating enthralling Champions and accompanying stories along with various other products. At the same time we are investing in various ways to make cool things in different media (wasn't Chronobreak spiffy?), while we level up the Narrative discipline to help make sure that happens. That leveling up includes partnerships with various other disciplines as well as a new organisational structure and hiring more talented people to learn from and grow with. For story, as well as continuing to develop products with Champion, Champion Update, Events, and beyond, we are reassessing every single champion bio for clarity, quality of expression, and direction. This takes time, but we think we have a format that players will like. The first examples of it will be seen alongside some other products that I can't quite give a timeline on yet. We want to do it as we want to deliver on our promises to players, because it enriches the LoL experience, and we love to do it. Sorry I can't be more specific, but I hope it gives you an idea of where we are at.
At this point I doubt the narrative team will show up much if at all in these kinds of threads, not until they actually have something complete to present to us. And I don't blame them. Yes there are some people here who are willing to have civil discussions about the lore, but most of the time they're having to deal with an angry circlejerk mob. Better to just leave them to actually work on the lore as opposed to having to get stressed out over people yelling at them through their monitors and calling for their resignation. And before anyone says anything about them NOT working on the lore or not doing their job, you don't know that. You do NOT know what it is they have planned. You do NOT know what they're currently working on. Yes it would be nice to KNOW what it is they're working on, but the last time Riot gave us some early insight into things they planned before they were "past the point of no return" in terms of completion, we got Magma Chamber and Ao Shin (while they say he's still upcoming, we have no idea if he actually is or not, nor when). So, as I said, better to just have patience, play the game, and wait until they have something near complete to show us. That's all we can do, really.
Noctes setcoN
What we're currently working on for League of Legends: five or six champions currently in various stages of production (no ship date promises), some champions up for a revisit, all voice over, a few fun promos, a story embedded event, and a bunch of other stuff that makes me tingly in my happy place (my happy place is in Liverpool, England). Each of those things is through a team of marvelous Rioters from various disciplines, and each product has a large variety of specific things that have to be created for it (we do a lot more than just the bio for a champ, for example). As you said, I'm not going into specifics in case things don't go to plan or, most often, because I don't want to spoil some severely awesome things for you, the players, and for the Rioters who are helping to create them.
Most people have spent years trying to have a civil discussion, at this point they are just begging for any scrap of information they can get. Also, "improve" the lore? Being rather generous there. We've seen no improvements, just their promise that tearing the lore apart is going to fix something. Imagine this scenario. You have a car you like, but its a bit of a junker. Your friend says he can fix it up, and takes it over a weekend. You come back and the tires have been taken off with no work done on it. Your friend then disappears for two years, before returning and showing you the car, stripped down to the chassis. He then says he is making it better and wonders why you are so upset. This is basically whats going on.
Bhargo
We've been focused on individual stories (that we want to increase the cadence of, when possible) that we want to become an ongoing, living world of dynamic characters so you live their history with them, not just have it summed up. I think the direct quality of the stories we have helped to create (plus the Champions we help to build from the heart out) has been improving. We may just disagree on that point. However, we do recognize the need for some more details that can both give some further context for players in regard to Champions (as well as provide springboards for further storytelling). Something that feels more like the lore that things such as the old bios provided. We're working on them and, I know, that's not what you need. You need to see them. I hope you like them when you do.
> [{quoted}](name=CupcakeTrap,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=p70VEgLh,comment-id=00010000,timestamp=2015-05-20T22:20:48.140+0000) > > We might annoy them, but I don't believe for a second that they "hate" us. This. They don't hate us, quite the contrary: They're scared that they'll upset us that they refrain from posting much at all, just making the situation worse. They just need to break the loop and risk it.
Atomiai
Consider me risking.
> [{quoted}](name=TerraRising,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=p70VEgLh,comment-id=0001,timestamp=2015-05-20T22:14:01.035+0000) > > Why bother. They hate us. Why should they spend five minutes telling us anything when they could be using that time furiously stroking each other's massive... egos? We might annoy them, but I don't believe for a second that they "hate" us. (Possible exception: they might indeed have hated some members of this community when a few psychos started posting nasty rants *calling for Narrative team members to be fired.* Like, holy hell, guys, get some perspective. You've seen me post completely over-the-top melodramatic rants about lore, but if you asked me, "would you be okay with firing staffers X Y Z to undo the Great Retcon and fix lore?" I wouldn't have to hesitate for an instant before saying "of course not, WTF, it's a pretendy funtime game, and these are real people we're talking about." Still, I hope it's understood that those psychos do not represent the lore community.)
CupcakeTrap
No hate, ever. Hey, CT, it's been a while. I'll tell you my frustration when it comes to the folks on this board: I can't show you what we want to do (and are doing) to answer many of your concerns. Yet. Even when players get royally pissed off, I know it's because you care. Sometimes, we human being type bods say something we shouldn't when we get annoyed, frustrated or downright angry. That never comes from a place of apathy. Of course, there are times when I get a bit sore when some folks go way over the top. Not usually about myself (I'm ugly enough to be comfortable in my skin), but I'm pretty protective of the Narrative discipline, so when some of the finest people I've ever known are accused of being various things, it does get to me a bit, I won't lie. However, I know where those mistakes come from: a love of LoL from you, and a lack of visibility from us. There is only so much visibility we can provide while still maintaining our ability to do what we do and, which is completely their choice, some people just prefer to be a bit more private. We can still do better though, and I know we, and I, have been trying to do so. In the spirit of visibility, I was having a chat with someone who frequents these boards via DMs a while back (before my recent absence from here), about a variety of things that he was most gracious in keeping private. One of those things was a fun creative exercise I wanted to do with everyone on the boards (but haven't been able to, I'll do so tomorrow. Oh bugger, I just saw the time. Ok, later today). Another topic that he called me on was the lack of understanding about leadership on Narrative, and I've seen some folks say there isn't any leadership, which is, of course, incorrect. The gentleman in question also said that there's a certain history (that I wasn't completely aware of, to be honest) on these and the previous boards of having a name to attach certain things to about how things are developing on Narrative and lore. As I've said before, Narrative doesn't do story alone, it helps make stories and characters for teams, so we don't ever decide things in a vacuum. However, the person in DMs, an absolutely passionate player, said I should clearly state that I'm the Narrative Lead on League of Legends, mainly because it would help with transparency for the long-attending members of the boards. So, I just did. With that out of the way (I didn't say it specifically before that conversation because I didn't really think it was important), and with clarity of where I'm coming from, let me state categorically that every single member of the Narrative discipline works tirelessly to create awesome things for the players. We succeed or fail together, but it is always because we want you to continue to love this game and this world in the way that we do. In the way that your appreciation, your passion, and yes, even your anger sometimes, drives us further onward to do better. That never comes from a place of hate. Ever.
I really liked the rek'sai teaser because of this: the writer is a Noxian, but he comes as a man on an important journey who writes letters to his loved one, not as a psycho murderer. It tells you _there are_ "normal", common people in Noxus, who love and suffer just like anyone
patmax17
Yeah, I feel really sorry for that fellow. Shurima can do things to a person's life. Like destroying all that one cared about. Or ending it. Indeed, there will be stories where it's everyday folks who are in the lens. There are far many more people in Runeterra than the 120+ Champions who we see in game.
Because making comics weekly wouldn't give them any money
FailFlood
You would be amazed at how many times I speak about money when it comes to the deciding factor in making creative decisions. By that I mean I can't remember ever doing that. My role is one that supports Narrative in particular, and then the teams that we work within. I have never been in a room talking about whether to make something from a story standpoint, including format or cadence, based on how much money it will make Riot. Ever. It's one of the many things I love about my extremely privileged position in working at Riot. You might not believe me, as if you would have told me that before I joined I might not have believed it either. Right or wrong, we make what we think players will love. Not what will sell the most. It's who we are. Seriously.
Lore fans would be so much happier seeing something like that every week or every other week.
Yousosmart
> [{quoted}](name=Yousosmart,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=tOAW1X15,comment-id=,timestamp=2015-05-21T23:04:28.966+0000) > > Lore fans would be so much happier seeing something like that every week or every other week. I would too. Though I'm also a lore fan. So, yeah! It's precisely because Riot is learning its way with producing certain types of media that we aren't rushing things out the door. We want to increase our ability to operate at a higher cadence while still maintaining quality. We're getting there.
I would guess that comic took more than two weeks to make, though, so a bi-weekly comic probably wouldn't be as large/detailed/thought through as Ekko's was.
CubedJustice
Indeed it did take longer, and we want every comic we consider making to be as high quality as Chronobreak.
whyyyyy aren't there conversations about these works in prooogreeess you know silence leads to baaad thiiings :C
Cuix
To be honest, it's because of not wanting to set expectations on timeline and so on. Also, just to be open with you, we may still decide that changes are necessary. However, I will say that we've been looking at Singed and Warwick due to the longstanding inconsistencies that exist in their story. I've been looking through various threads to get input on what the essences of those characters are and they've been included in our thinking. This is part of an on-going effort to address a large number of issues in the current bios. I didn't start up another thread since I've been back in the saddle mainly as there have been some really good ones already. If you fine folks want to talk specifically about them in the very immediate present (and nothing has been finalized on them yet, which is why I'm bringing them up), then that's certainly an opportunity to get your feedback that I'd be happy to engage with.
Where does it say Noxus is evil? They make morally ambiguous decisions in a time of war -- just about everyone is guilty of that.
NuSix3
Noxus is not inherently evil. There are members of its society that I wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley (or a well-lit room full of people, for that matter) but it also has its heroes, its own sense of morality and it's a place that's very attractive to those who see it as a true meritocracy. I wouldn't want to piss Darius off, but few Noxians would see him as cruel. In fact, there are enemies who wouldn't either.
I completely agree with your thoughts on Azir. I feel like Skarner did Azir's lore better. Skarner's an unearthed relic of the past, the leader of his kind, the last survivor, and yearns for the past to be the present. That's thematically almost identical to Azir, save the other survivors of Shurima. But Skarner's lore isn't so QQ-y. It focuses on his reemergence, while only touching on his sadness, yet I feel bad for Skarner because his QQ is meaningful. It's strongly worded, but sad, because you can tell he knows he's alone. Azir has multiple thematically similar champions, so his alone doesn't feel alone. His alone feels high and mighty. His alone feels fake. If you want to give somebody sadness, you need to make them sad, and Azir's lore is going in two different directions; it can't accomplish that. You can't make him the **Glorious Ruler of Shurima** and also make him long for the past.
CubedJustice
Though he does long for the past as being the Glorious Ruler of Shurima, what Azir is unaware of, and what puts him into a vulnerable position, is that he doesn't understand how much Runeterra has changed since the empire fell. Azir lost his family (or so it appears...), and grasps at the power and importance that he thinks still exists in order to make himself whole again, through his people. He believes himself benevolent (something Xerath may have been very wrong about), and that Shurima can only fully return through his guidance and will. There's a good chance he's got more to be sad about than he currently has any idea of. And if Xerath has anything to do with it, he will learn an extremely painful lesson.
This is fine for me, and I think I agree: In an introductory piece, such as this one, it is probably best to keep the focus on the one being introduced. However, at some point we're going to need follow up and interaction. That's a lot more interesting after the baseline is set.
Solidair3
I couldn't agree more.
As someone who liked the story, I'm tired of introductions. I want to see all these cool characters interact with each other; the only people Ekko interacts with are one-offs (unless random Piltovian jerk is the next champion). It feels like this story was in a vacuum; this would be just fine as the pilot story for a web comic completely unrelated to League, or bad OC fanfiction. I liked it, but I would have preferred some acknowledgment that Ekko's story happened in the scope of a wider universe. Yes, Ekko himself doesn't care about what's going on between Noxus and Demacia, but having absolutely no mention of people that Ekko would react to seems like you're shrinking the world. I don't want to seem too harsh, it's a really good story and I can understand the decisions you made about this particular story. But I'm getting tired of stories set in vacuums that no other champs exist in.
Hellioning
Here's the thing, we're actually very careful in how often we have characters interact with each other for the exact reason of not wanting to make the world small. A huge danger for world-building is making Champion interactions so common that you feel like they could all be bumping into each other at the line down the local Starbucks. Yes, they should interact, and when they do, it should be memorable both for its impact and the quality of story. We don't want to throw characters together without being very considered. Of course, there are exceptions. Garen and Lux might bump into each other in a much more casual way than Ekko and Zilean (though the story of Lux banging on the door because her brother is hogging the bathroom might not be one we focus on). The focus of Seconds and Chronobreak is to set the stage for Ekko, so it would be a little counterproductive to have another Champion in the limelight in this example. We do want to have individual stories and some epic encounters between Champions. These kind of stories aren't ideal for throwing other huge personalities in the mix. I agree that we need to give that opportunity more often in the process of creating more stories though.
> [{quoted}](name=FauxSchizzle,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=kGhinZuR,comment-id=000400000000,timestamp=2015-05-21T23:42:37.444+0000) > > Potentially, but Ekko's VO confirms more about his positioning in Zaun and friends and allies more than a scant line of dialogue. Each champ is different. What works for some will not work for others. This particular story did not call for interactions with other champs. No... That means you intentionally created a one-dimensional character. This is bad writing at its finest, sorry :/ Champions should not be in their own "Spheres" - they need to have conflict with one another, or they end up lacking character, motivation and personality. Look at Kalista, for example, she has the personality of a rock.
Sophitia
Kalista isn't the life and soul of the party, but there's a lot going on with her. We have to do a better job of showing it to you. I disagree that a character is one-dimensional because he or she isn't initially involved with a large variety of other Champions. Each character has to have a strong, cohesive thematic through-line and personality for them to make their interactions with other Champions exciting. If Champions were not interesting without others, none of them would be interesting. They need to have conflicts certainly, but they don't all have to be based off other Champions, they need to have their own inner conflicts that drive them. It makes those interactions more dramatic when they do happen. But they shouldn't be utterly dependent on other Champs because then they don't stand up on their own. I think Ekko does that. However, I still can't wait for him to cross paths with either Vi, Cait or both, considering his opinions on Piltover and how his attitude compares with both of them. Would Cait actually be more considerate of Ekko because she sees some of Vi in him? Or would she see his potential for danger? Would Vi see a kindred soul? Or bristle at the reminder of who she was? I think those stories will be great, but we can't tell them all as soon as Ekko arrives on the scene, or they actually distract from getting a feel for who he is initially. Setting out the heart of who Ekko is makes those interactions down the line stronger.
> [{quoted}](name=FauxSchizzle,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=kGhinZuR,comment-id=000400000000,timestamp=2015-05-21T23:42:37.444+0000) > > Potentially, but Ekko's VO confirms more about his positioning in Zaun and friends and allies more than a scant line of dialogue. Each champ is different. What works for some will not work for others. This particular story did not call for interactions with other champs. No... That means you intentionally created a one-dimensional character. This is bad writing at its finest, sorry :/ Champions should not be in their own "Spheres" - they need to have conflict with one another, or they end up lacking character, motivation and personality. Look at Kalista, for example, she has the personality of a rock.
Sophitia
Kalista isn't the life and soul of the party, but there's a lot going on with her. We have to do a better job of showing it to you. I disagree that a character is one-dimensional because he or she isn't initially involved with a large variety of other Champions. Each character has to have a strong, cohesive thematic through-line and personality for them to make their interactions with other Champions exciting. If Champions were not interesting without others, none of them would be interesting.
> [{quoted}](name=FauxSchizzle,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=kGhinZuR,comment-id=000400000000,timestamp=2015-05-21T23:42:37.444+0000) > > Potentially, but Ekko's VO confirms more about his positioning in Zaun and friends and allies more than a scant line of dialogue. Each champ is different. What works for some will not work for others. This particular story did not call for interactions with other champs. I get that, I do Faux. But (I responded to a post in that other thread, so I'm going to be "that GUy" sadly ;-;) my question doesn't really need his VO lines. My question is, how will you take him further? In reference to my other post, which I hope you see, you killed off pretty much the one link so far that could connect Ekko elsewhere, and easily formulate a storypath where he can leave Zaun. Again: This story's done. How will you further take Ekko (and many other champions) out of their places (Like Ahri, or Rengar) and bring them into the overarching scheme of things? With no IoW to link them and make all sorts of stories and shenanigans, I've curious to how your next story will further Ekko's, and bring him into contact with even more champions, making him part of the Runeterran community beyond the slums of Zaun.
Legacy of Xion
There are a huge amount of ways that we can have Ekko grow beyond his current isolation. His own desires and needs, or those of other Champions or non-game characters, will be the motivating factors for his story going forward. It's why we changed the world the way we did, we didn't want the IoW to be the answer. I don't want to spoil anything or pitch anything we don't end up doing, but consider where Ekko is, who else might be around, and what they might want that comes into conflict with Ekko (or even support of him) and you can probably think of half a dozen reasons at least. We want to explore those possibilities.
> [{quoted}](name=Jaredan,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=617LLUV8,comment-id=000400000001000000000000000000010000,timestamp=2015-05-22T07:30:44.686+0000) > > The call for more stories, and specifically more lore (yup two different things) has been heard, and we're working on them. Many people across Riot, certainly not just Narrative, have been figuring out about how to best respond to the need and how to set priorities and build teams to create more awesome stories. > > We've been working on a new format for bios (including a short intro, but also including more hooks that give a sense of history as jumping off points for stories and more flavor), and you'll be seeing some examples soon (sorry I can't be more specific, there are a few different teams involved and we're pinning down some timelines on releases). > > Some of the threads on the board have also informed our prioritization on certain projects (including bios), as well as helping us with keeping a focus on core aspects of characters that we've been looking at that we want to maintain as we do any rewrites. > > For me personally, it's an exhilarating time as I can see numerous things that are close to fruition and a general, concerted effort by Rioters of many disciplines to push for story. > > That's tempered by the responsibility we have to do much better than we have been doing, including showing you why we made the decisions we have through products that deliver great stories and character (such as, but not limited to, new Champions) that help build an enthralling world. > > It's not there yet, but talented Rioters like FauxSchizzle are working diligently to reach that goal. > > In the months ahead, I hope you get to know Faux, he's one of the newer members of Narrative discipline and Champion team, plus, he's just an awesome bloke. Jaredan.... Man I don't even know where to begin. Your department needs to start to [understand some things](http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/story-art/bvhOElyf-narrative-this-is-truly-disheartening). One of the biggest things, is you keep kicking us, over, and over, and over. You guys have practically nothing to put forward in terms of improved content, and the communication which you've promised, on numerous occasions, would be better, is worse. Honestly, Bioluminescence and ShadowStorm have done more communicating in a week, than all of Narrative has done (about substantial topics) since the retcon. That.... THAT is abhorrent. Honestly, you (Narrative) are in a position where nobody trusts you anymore, and for good reasons. The seemingly systematic disregard for your most devoted fans, simply for the sake of peddling product, is disheartening to say the least. But you know what the real kick to the groin is? You're still hiding behind Soon(TM). Was 9 months since the retcon not long enough? How about the almost 3 years prior to that where the IoW was subtly dismantled? You've promised lore to be not something only used to sell champions, and you've been the only outspoken person of the Narrative discipline, and you know when the last time was that you spoke to the community? Right around the time of the Bard Q&A. This is what we threw away our previous world of Runeterra for? A bunch of Chapter 1's, a Narrative team that has one person who is willing to communicate with us, and a continued disregard for their most dedicated fans? I've tried civility, kindness, understanding, and every other direction in the book to deliver informative posts about Narrative's direction but at this point my politeness is wasted. If the past few champions are how lore is going to be handled going forward, I'm done caring. I'm done putting emotion and effort into this game's story. When you rewrite Morgana/Kayle I don't care anymore. Make them cookie-cutter Demacian/Noxian sisters in strife. Retcon their other worldliness it _doesn't matter to me anymore_. Soon has been your shield for too long. It is the end of May, and you still have nothing worthwhile to show. **WHAT ARE NARRATIVE'S PRIORITIES, SELLING PRODUCT OR WRITING A WORLD WORTH GIVING A SHIT ABOUT?**
Starlighte
Sorry, I forgot to mention: Morgana and Kayle will absolutely be retaining their other worldliness.
Webcomics are awesome!
Synticket
Agreed!
> [{quoted}](name=Jaredan,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=617LLUV8,comment-id=000400000001000000000000000000010000,timestamp=2015-05-22T07:30:44.686+0000) > > The call for more stories, and specifically more lore (yup two different things) has been heard, and we're working on them. Many people across Riot, certainly not just Narrative, have been figuring out about how to best respond to the need and how to set priorities and build teams to create more awesome stories. > > We've been working on a new format for bios (including a short intro, but also including more hooks that give a sense of history as jumping off points for stories and more flavor), and you'll be seeing some examples soon (sorry I can't be more specific, there are a few different teams involved and we're pinning down some timelines on releases). > > Some of the threads on the board have also informed our prioritization on certain projects (including bios), as well as helping us with keeping a focus on core aspects of characters that we've been looking at that we want to maintain as we do any rewrites. > > For me personally, it's an exhilarating time as I can see numerous things that are close to fruition and a general, concerted effort by Rioters of many disciplines to push for story. > > That's tempered by the responsibility we have to do much better than we have been doing, including showing you why we made the decisions we have through products that deliver great stories and character (such as, but not limited to, new Champions) that help build an enthralling world. > > It's not there yet, but talented Rioters like FauxSchizzle are working diligently to reach that goal. > > In the months ahead, I hope you get to know Faux, he's one of the newer members of Narrative discipline and Champion team, plus, he's just an awesome bloke. Jaredan.... Man I don't even know where to begin. Your department needs to start to [understand some things](http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/story-art/bvhOElyf-narrative-this-is-truly-disheartening). One of the biggest things, is you keep kicking us, over, and over, and over. You guys have practically nothing to put forward in terms of improved content, and the communication which you've promised, on numerous occasions, would be better, is worse. Honestly, Bioluminescence and ShadowStorm have done more communicating in a week, than all of Narrative has done (about substantial topics) since the retcon. That.... THAT is abhorrent. Honestly, you (Narrative) are in a position where nobody trusts you anymore, and for good reasons. The seemingly systematic disregard for your most devoted fans, simply for the sake of peddling product, is disheartening to say the least. But you know what the real kick to the groin is? You're still hiding behind Soon(TM). Was 9 months since the retcon not long enough? How about the almost 3 years prior to that where the IoW was subtly dismantled? You've promised lore to be not something only used to sell champions, and you've been the only outspoken person of the Narrative discipline, and you know when the last time was that you spoke to the community? Right around the time of the Bard Q&A. This is what we threw away our previous world of Runeterra for? A bunch of Chapter 1's, a Narrative team that has one person who is willing to communicate with us, and a continued disregard for their most dedicated fans? I've tried civility, kindness, understanding, and every other direction in the book to deliver informative posts about Narrative's direction but at this point my politeness is wasted. If the past few champions are how lore is going to be handled going forward, I'm done caring. I'm done putting emotion and effort into this game's story. When you rewrite Morgana/Kayle I don't care anymore. Make them cookie-cutter Demacian/Noxian sisters in strife. Retcon their other worldliness it _doesn't matter to me anymore_. Soon has been your shield for too long. It is the end of May, and you still have nothing worthwhile to show. **WHAT ARE NARRATIVE'S PRIORITIES, SELLING PRODUCT OR WRITING A WORLD WORTH GIVING A SHIT ABOUT?**
Starlighte
> [{quoted}](name=Starlighte,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=617LLUV8,comment-id=0004000000010000000000000000000100000000,timestamp=2015-05-22T07:52:06.190+0000) > > Jaredan.... Man I don't even know where to begin. > > Your department needs to start to [understand some things](http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/story-art/bvhOElyf-narrative-this-is-truly-disheartening). One of the biggest things, is you keep kicking us, over, and over, and over. You guys have practically nothing to put forward in terms of improved content, and the communication which you've promised, on numerous occasions, would be better, is worse. Honestly, Bioluminescence and ShadowStorm have done more communicating in a week, than all of Narrative has done (about substantial topics) since the retcon. That.... THAT is abhorrent. You're right, in regard to the lack of communication. I hold myself personally responsible for that. Circumstances have kept me on the sidelines a bit when it comes to being player facing, but it's no excuse. My apologies. > Honestly, you (Narrative) are in a position where nobody trusts you anymore, and for good reasons. The seemingly systematic disregard for your most devoted fans, simply for the sake of peddling product, is disheartening to say the least. We see things differently on this point, though I understand your perspective. In no way do we see ourselves as "peddling product." The members of the Narrative discipline who work on the Champion Team (as well as Events, Champion Update and more) put their heart and soul into developing characters who are enthralling and are the starting point for many stories. The pieces such as Tales of the Black Mist, Mountain, Seconds, and Chronobreak, are our attempts (including many other wonderful folks such as Artists, Designers, Engineers, etc.) to tell as much story as we can. We don't always succeed, particularly when it is such a subjective enterprise, but we want to create great stories and characters and we are building a discipline and various teams to do so. The Champions themselves take a huge amount of effort from Narrative folks as well as the Rioters from many other disciplines who work on those teams. You can't see much of the work we're doing and I absolutely understand your anger at a lack of pure story separate from anything else right now. But our priorities are Riot's priorities through the various teams that we work on. Currently, our best opportunities to do stories coincide with products that are being made as there are teams making them. Narrative is not an independent team that sets its own goals separately. Those opportunities are changing, and we (by that I mean Riot as well as just Narrative) are building out our capabilities to tell story. Chronobreak is an example. > But you know what the real kick to the groin is? You're still hiding behind Soon(TM). Was 9 months since the retcon not long enough? How about the almost 3 years prior to that where the IoW was subtly dismantled? You've promised lore to be not something only used to sell champions, and you've been the only outspoken person of the Narrative discipline, and you know when the last time was that you spoke to the community? Right around the time of the Bard Q&A. This is what we threw away our previous world of Runeterra for? A bunch of Chapter 1's, a Narrative team that has one person who is willing to communicate with us, and a continued disregard for their most dedicated fans? There are a lot of things that have happened in the past 9 months. There isn't a person on Narrative who hasn't been working extremely hard, but I know that to you it doesn't look that way. We didn't have our ducks in a row, and we are a young company when it comes to storytelling in many ways. But we are aggressively rectifying that. My absence is something I'm very sorry for. I don't really want to go into the reason why, but it's just been a case of something making it pretty impossible for me to be here the last couple of months. We want to do Chapters 2-14 and beyond, but it takes time for a variety of reasons. I don't want to just make excuses or say "soon," but I believe we are leveling up towards something that I hope you like very much. Until you have more in your hands, I know what I say carries little weight for you, > I've tried civility, kindness, understanding, and every other direction in the book to deliver informative posts about Narrative's direction but at this point my politeness is wasted. If the past few champions are how lore is going to be handled going forward, I'm done caring. I'm done putting emotion and effort into this game's story. When you rewrite Morgana/Kayle I don't care anymore. Make them cookie-cutter Demacian/Noxian sisters in strife. Retcon their other worldliness it _doesn't matter to me anymore_. I very much appreciate your passion and your civility. Your frustration is palpable and is something that I have in my head every day. I do whatever I can to do better because of it. There's a long way to go. > Soon has been your shield for too long. It is the end of May, and you still have nothing worthwhile to show. **WHAT ARE NARRATIVE'S PRIORITIES, SELLING PRODUCT OR WRITING A WORLD WORTH GIVING A SHIT ABOUT?** The latter.
Question: If Ekko's time spinner got damaged during the fight with the whistling dude, is that why the spinner works how it works in the game?
Soleka
Ekko is a pretty impressive scientist/mechanic. He fixed his Z-Drive between Chronobreak and Seconds.
I love webcomics. In fact, they are sort of an addiction of mine... I would love Riot forevermore if they started making multiple of their own! (Well, even more than I do already.) __________ Some suggested reads for you all: - A Redtail's Dream (completed) - Digger (completed) - Gunnerkrigg Court - Stand Still. Stay Silent. - Girl Genius - Blindsprings - Slightly Damned - Trying Human - Unsounded - Harpy Gee *be warned, only a couple of those aren't ongoing
Zirzon
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll check them out!
> [{quoted}](name=FauxSchizzle,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=617LLUV8,comment-id=000000000000,timestamp=2015-05-21T22:25:50.636+0000) > > This makes me so happy. We've been working on these pieces for so long. Memory hurts, but sometimes it's the only thing we have that's worth fighting for. We wanted both of these pieces to be part of one story, one experience. Hey. Ah...I lost a longtime friend and League partner recently to sickle cell anemia. I'm...glad you guys tackled this subject. You guys didn't have to. But it...makes a good story. I liked the comic. Felt like it said what it needed to say. Heh...no idea if my friend woulda liked Ekko. He was more of a support player. But, yeah, thanks. I...hope you're right, man, I really do. Hey, would turning back time be a gameplay fantasy for real life...? Heh.
Gray Fanchon
My heartfelt condolences to you and your friend's family.
Just wondering, but who is the oldest writer in your company? In terms of seniority. Are there writers who wrote the judgments still working on the lore?
Chromatic Eagle
We have members of the Narrative discipline who have been with Riot for as long as five years, including those who worked on Judgments.
>No, thank YOU! You guys are the reasons we want to make things like comics and animations. that´s actually sad to hear(/read). Why can´t you guys just write a damn lore? fancy comics and animations are nice and everything, but they don´t contain much intrensic values for the most part, they are void and such is the state of your world.
Don Eulrich
Hi Don, We want to do a mixture of things, and building a wealth of stories that go to make up a rich world, that can be recorded and gathered to make lore, is one of them. I have to disagree with you on a fundamental level when you say that work such as Chronobreak contains no intrinsic value. It's a story that gets to the heart of the type of person that Ekko is, as well as showing what he can do. Your anger is something I do understand though. We haven't delivered anywhere near as much as we want to, that would be satisfying in the light of the changes we announced to the players. Riot, including Narrative has to own that, certainly, and do better by you. When it comes to writing lore, we do want to include more, while allowing it to have enough room to breathe and let us still tell stories that haven't been completely encompassed in a bullet point or wiki entry. Right now it's difficult to do that for a variety of technical and strategic reasons. We're working on solutions that will mean there will be more of the kind of lore you prefer and that it's more easily accessible than currently. In this regard, "we" includes not just Narrative, but many disciplines and teams at Riot.
Show more