**TL;DR: Ranked changes start rolling out to PBE today, with further changes coming to PBE in 9.1 and 9.2. We’re not testing position ranks or rewards yet, so stay tuned for those in a future patch.**
Hey everyone, Ed “SapMagic” Altorfer here on behalf of the Ranked team. Today, we’re going to start rolling out our Ranked changes to PBE, so I want to give you a rundown on what you can expect to see and what’s still coming. We’ve been talking for literal months about this stuff, and now we’ll need your help finding bugs and continuing the conversation as we approach Season 2019.
#Wait, you’re making changes to Ranked?
Yes! Back in April, we laid out our plan to overhaul Ranked, which includes clear feedback during placements, better matchmaking, more accurate ranks, milestones and meaningful goals regardless of skill, and new rewards for deep and ongoing engagement.
If you want a quick (or...not so quick) refresher on our previous posts, check out the links below!
Post 1: [High-level goals and overview](https://nexus.leagueoflegends.com/en-us/2018/04/dev-updates-to-ranked-for-2019/)
Post 2: [Summarizing your initial feedback](https://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/developer-corner/QTXRJ9fj-what-we-heard-on-ranked-2019)
Post 3: [Addressing feedback and adjustments to position ranks](https://nexus.leagueoflegends.com/en-us/2018/06/dev-addressing-your-feedback-on-ranked-for-2019/)
Post 4: [Laying out our plan to do regional previews of position ranks](https://nexus.leagueoflegends.com/en-us/2018/08/dev-position-ranks-in-2019/)
Post 5: [Talking about new tiers and placements](https://nexus.leagueoflegends.com/en-us/2018/09/dev-diary-new-tiers-placements-in-ranked-2019/)
Post 6: [Discussing how the top of the ladder is affected](https://nexus.leagueoflegends.com/en-us/2018/09/dev-top-tier-changes-to-ranked-for-2019/)
Post 7: [Outlining the three-split season and new split rewards](https://nexus.leagueoflegends.com/en-us/2018/10/dev-diary-rewards-and-splits-in-ranked-2019/)
Post 8: [Answering more questions on rewards](https://nexus.leagueoflegends.com/en-us/2018/10/dev-more-on-2019-ranked-rewards/)
First, let’s talk about what’s coming later today. We’re making a lot of changes here, so I’m bound to miss a few things. Here are the details:
- You receive a provisional rank after one game (in future patches, only you will be able to see this)
- For your remaining placement games, you gain bonus LP on wins and can’t lose LP
- There are new celebrations for receiving a provisional rank and completing placements
- We added Iron tier and Grandmaster tier to Ranked
- New progression: Iron > Bronze > Silver > Gold > Platinum > Diamond > Master > Grandmaster > Challenger
- We removed All Division V ranks; there are now four divisions per tier
- You receive ranked armor when you complete placements
- You can equip your level border or Ranked armor in your profile—**_the option to do this will be enabled later this PBE cycle and you will see your level border until then_**
- You can select whether to display your past rank on the banner behind your armor
- If equipped, your ranked armor is visible on your profile, hovercard (in the friend list), party lobby, Ranked dashboard, and loading screen
- We updated the end-of-game screen to give better feedback on placements, LP gains and losses, and promotion
- We updated the ladder UI to display cutoffs for promotion and demotion between Master, Grandmaster, and Challenger
- Your loading screen border now reflects your current rank for the queue you’re playing, but you can click the card to see your ranked armor and banner
For anyone who’s keeping track, you probably noticed a few omissions: position ranks, split points, and rewards. The remaining Ranked changes will be hitting PBE in patches 9.1 and 9.2 before the season starts on January 23.
#Give us your feedback!
Because there are fewer players on PBE and most don’t play regularly, it’s tough to test legitimacy or matchmaking quality. As a result, you probably shouldn’t expect the high stakes climb you’re used to on live.
We still need your help testing everything going live today though, so jump in and play some games. Let us know what bugs you find and feel free to share your thoughts on any of the changes, whether it’s about system rules, UI, or art.
Thanks in advance for all the help making sure this is a stable and awesome experience, and hopefully we’ll see you on the Rift!