[INTRO] Greg “Riot Ghostcrawler” Street - Game Design Director

**WHO AM I?** My name is Greg Street, Riot Ghostcrawler. Before working at Riot, I was a lead designer on World of Warcraft for 6 years. Before that I was a lead designer on Age of Empires for 10 years. Before that, I was an oceanographer, which is where the crustacean avatar came from. I was an army brat who lived lots of places, but I identify most as a Texan. My favorite game of all time is Dungeons and Dragons. I have played for 30 years, in all 5 editions. For video games, I’ll just list broad families of games that I love and that have influenced me: XCOM, Final Fantasy, World of Warcraft, Chrono Trigger, Diablo, Doom, Civilization, Legend of Zelda, Dark Souls, Baldur’s Gate, Planescape: Torment, Mass Effect, Metroid, Grand Theft Auto, and Okami. Outside of games, I enjoy travel, reading about history and science, and being outdoors. My last research project as a scientist involved collecting live, radioactive alligators. I have been attacked by animals as diverse as: Portuguese Man-o-war, Roseate Spoonbill, Southern Stingray, Rock Rattlesnake, Coatimundi. My favorite animal is the Mantis Shrimp. I currently own: 4 dogs and 2 cats. **WHAT AM I DOING AT RIOT? WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT NEXT YEAR?** I joined Riot in 2013 and I am now the game design director for League. I describe my job as a combination of three things: I'm ultimately accountable for the design quality of League, I work with the other leads to determine long-term strategy and our big bets for the next year, and I manage the design department. I work a lot on projects such as our Season 2016 plan. I help answer things such as what kinds of champions should we be making, what do we want the pace of the game to be, and what new features does League need. **WHAT AM I GOING TO TALK ABOUT?** The best kinds of questions to hit me with are about our design philosophy or [core design values](http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/news/game-updates/features/dev-blog-design-values-league-legends). The kinds of questions I can best answer are "Would Riot ever consider this Big New Feature?" “Where do you see League in 5 years?” "How does Riot balance for such a wide range of skills?" "How much counterplay is acceptable?" "What were Riot’s goals with preseason?" "Is League too snowbally?" "Does Riot make too much change to the game?" "How many champions can League support?" I don't directly balance champions or design new items. I'm fine if you blame me for bad balance, but if you want to know our thoughts on a particular change or the state of a champion, you're better off asking the Rioters who are working directly on them. **WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO HEAR FROM ME?** If you know anything about me, you hopefully know that I strive to be really transparent with players and that I have very thick skin. AMA.
Report as:
Offensive Spam Harassment Incorrect Board
Cancel