New tank design philosophy creates a massive rift between pro and soloQ

e.g "give them absurd amounts of utility." i guess this applies to solo lane/jungle tanks more than support ones, because TK has his own host of issues not related to the topic at hand, but new tanks like {{champion:3}} {{champion:516}} {{champion:113}} / {{champion:57}} {{champion:31}} {{champion:78}} {{champion:98}} and other reworks or new releases have become something of a weird gap between pro play and soloQ. a lot of power has been shuffled away from more individual strength like what you could say someone like {{champion:54}} has (very front-loaded damage, not many conditions and does not require anyone else to cover his ass) and towards giving them lots of CC but less individual threat. in fact, it seems like the only time a tank becomes 'popular' in solo play is when they're overtuned. {{champion:14}} it's been pointed out to me that there are still multi-tank team comps in pro play even if it's unlikely you'll see a tank not named Sion in soloQ right now; in fact, a lot of tanks are statistically garbage at the moment despite their immense innate value to a team that needs one. I would like to suggest the culprit for this is the way riot has changed their views on how tanks should be designed. tank power has shifted from _having some CC but primarily being a meat shield_ to being intermittently tanky (e.g shields, steroids and sustain -- all temporary) but having a lot more CC. semi-related, a lot of that CC is very generalized; knock ups, stuns, and snares, with a few taunts. on top of the added crowd control they've been receiving, they're still expected to have what they need to exist in a solo lane or in the jungle; good base damages, and usually some form of wave control, because if they didn't have that they'd just migrate to bottom lane. So the end result is just about any of these champions are capable of stunlocking at least one person for an extended period of time, often with just their normal spells, while continuing to have respectable base damages, _and_ having some % damage to be a legitimate damage threat to fighters or other tanks in addition to their threat of crowd control. i don't think it's an issue that they have some CC and some damage, but i'm beginning to think a lot of these new tanks are becoming very one-dimensional in how they work with the rest of the game and how they're balanced. maybe we should set a baseline for how much crowd control is too much, and whether or not it's a problem that most or all of their CC is universally valuable? or even if them having as much CC as they do is taking up room in their budgets that could be allocated to more creative or engaging roles for those champions to exist in? this post is kind of a sloppy stream of consciousness but i think i'm correct in my assertion that tanks are very heavily affected by this design to be overwhelmingly good in pro play by their sheer utility with a coordinated team, even if they underperform greatly in soloQ. tanks are very rare for me to see right now besides Sion or one of the simpler tanks that just works better in soloQ (Rammus, Malph, Amumu) who, coincidentally, do not seem to be making appearances in pro play. a lot of people have strong opinions about tanks, and i think they've only gotten more polarized about their like or dislike for them with the shift in how tanks function. as a former tank player, I would like to see tanks returning to the more autonomous, almost fighter-like playstyles the older designs had that let them brawl and feel more 'in' a fight, rather than just playing to CC as much as they can before they get dropped.
Report as:
Offensive Spam Harassment Incorrect Board
Cancel