Could New Tank Items Ease The Damage Meta?

Just some thoughts: I've often thought in recent seasons that the game needs more effective tank items. {{item:3095}} {{item:3147}} {{item:3124}} {{item:3078}} all fundamentally altered the game and helped usher in the modern damage meta, but I can only think of one still-legal tank item - {{item:3075}} - that actually changed the meta itself since Atma's was removed. There's a lot of front loaded damage now, and the options to survive it don't often feel compelling. What about better options for tanks and stuff to survive upfront burst - just some ideas I've kicked around for a season or two: (EDIT: Thanks to the community for catching scaling/range errors and contributing ideas!) --------------- GRANITE GORGET {{item:3211}} + {{item:3082}} + 300 gold (2500 gold) +300 health +50 armor +35 MR UNIQUE: After taking damage from an enemy champion, gains 200% base health regeneration for 10 seconds. UNIQUE – COLD STEEL: When hit by basic attacks, cripples source's attack speed by 15% for 1 second. UNIQUE - MOUNTAIN TOUGH: After not dealing or receiving any damage for 7 seconds, gain Rock Hard. Rock Hard triggers on the first instance of any damage from an opposing champion, and reduces all incoming damage by 30% + (10% per nearby enemy champion) for 1 second. ------------------- LOST SHURIMAN ARMOR {{item:3101}} + {{item:1031}} + {{item:1011}} + 300 gold (3200 gold) +400 health +50 armor +10% cooldown reduction Unique passive - Gain 35% attack speed. Unique passive - ASCENDED SPIRIT: Stack 1 Armor and 1 MR for each time you damage a champion with an attack or an ability, decaying after 7 seconds, with a maximum of 20 stacks. -------------- RUNE-ENCRUSTED PLATE {{item:3070}} + {{item:1011}} + 1000 gold (2850 gold) +450 health +10% cooldown reduction +650 mana UNIQUE – HASTE: Grants an additional 10% cooldown reduction. UNIQUE – AWE: Grants bonus health equal to 12 + (0.5%/level) of maximum mana. Refunds 25% of mana spent. UNIQUE – MANA CHARGE: Grants a charge every 4 seconds, up to 3 charges. Each mana expenditure consumes a charge and grants +8 mana, up to a maximum of 750 mana. At 750 mana, transforms into: ARMOR OF THE ASCENSION +500 health +10% cooldown reduction +1400 mana UNIQUE – HASTE: Grants an additional 10% cooldown reduction. UNIQUE – AWE: Grants bonus health equal to 20% (+1%/level) maximum mana. Refunds 25% of mana spent. UNIQUE – MANA BEING: Any time you are hit with an enemy autoattack, spell or ability, gain a stack of Manasouled (1 second cooldown). Each stack of Manasouled provides +15 health/second health regeneration for 5 seconds at the cost of 1% of your maximum mana. (Maximum 5 stacks.) -------------- Each of these items would solve a damage-related need I see right now. Granite Gorget would provide some easy-to-build defense against the extreme front loaded damage of {{item:3095}} {{item:3147}} {{item:3124}} {{item:3078}}, Lost Shuriman Armor would allow an attackspeed/tankiness combo (there are none in the game at all at present except {{item:3091}} which has been purely situational for seasons) to certain mages and bruisers who are in a bad place lately, and Rune-Encrusted Plate/Armor of the Ascension would give a build path on {{item:3070}} for tanks. These kinds of items could break things too - I'd be worried about unkillable juggernauts on Lost Shuriman Armor, for instance - but maybe they could help people feel less ugly about all the front-loaded damage. I def think something like Granite Gorget in particular, that provides protection against early proc damage spikes, would do a lot to help people feel less rough about the game going into Season 9. Open to more ideas and suggestions below too, though please make sure all suggestions are properly and reasonably build-path and gold-effectiveness statted!
Report as:
Offensive Spam Harassment Incorrect Board
Cancel