Varus changes on the PBE - Blighted Quiver (W) update.

4/3 PBE Update
WIP !] [STATUS: PBE is currently offline.] The PBE has been updated! As we start the 8.8 PBE cycle, today's patch includes a new skin for Varus, new chromas for Dragon Master Swain and Badlands Baron Rumble, and more! Continue reading for more information!
As highlighted in the [Quick Gameplay Thoughts: March 30](https://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/developer-corner/na3Ko02t-quick-gameplay-thoughts-march-30), Varus' update to his W - Blighted Quiver has shown up on the PBE rotation for the 8.8 patch and is currently under-going testing. As it stands on the PBE, this is the new effect: >Blighted Quiver (W): Passive damage lowered from 10/14/18/22/26 to 4/8/12/16/20 New Active - Cooldown: 40 seconds at all ranks "Active: Varus' next Piercing Arrow deals bonus magic damage equal to 6/7/8/9/10% to 9/10.5/12/13.5/15% of the target's missing health (scales with Piercing Arrow charge). Blighted Quiver is capped at 360 damage against monsters." Let me put this across as cleanly as possible: **This is an insane damage boost for Varus as he currently stands**. Now don't get me wrong, I **LOVE** Varus, he's been my main for almost as long as I've been playing League. It always puts a smile on my face to see my man getting some buffs. However, this is a destructively strong buff. With his current meta hybrid setup of Guinsoo's Rageblade into Wit's end, followed by a mix of AP items, you have an already fairly strong build, as Rageblade has been considered his power-spike item for a long while. The extra 300 gold may hurt his power-spike a bit more due to the higher costs as of 8.7 though, so it will be slowed by quite a bit, or phased out for something else entirely. AP Varus and his Hybrid builds were always considered a niche build, as you relied on stacking up on AP to do insane damage and you swapped out traditional ADC itemization such as crit and auto-attacking power. However Varus has never been able to utilize traditional crit as well as other champions who are far more capable of utilizing those items. There was always the fact that it relied too heavily on stacking blight, relying on Chain of Corruption, or it's 'weak' early game. After the travesty that was Lethality Varus, Piercing Arrow (Q) got chunked with quite a damage reduction, as well as a huge cooldown (20 seconds at level 1), however Varus received compensation buffs for his passive in the form of scaling attack speed. The change to Blighted Quiver brings the power back into Varus' Piercing Arrow, now giving it AP ratios on top if it's raw AD damage. (I personally find this _hilarious_ because it's always been a joke to give AP ratios for Varus' Q) _**"Hey you're saying all this stuff about Varus but get to the point already!"**_ Right, the whole point is how am I going to explain this to you about why it's stupidly strong. Currently, a hybrid damage build for Varus is what his FoTM build is right now and looks roughly, or similar to the following: {{item:3124}} {{item:3091}} -> {{item:3111}} / {{item:3047}} ->{{item:3135}} {{item:3089}} {{item:3157}} / {{item:3139}} / {{item:3102}} A mix of early AD then switched up into AP. With these items, Varus can have an average AP output of 250-400 Obviously it sounds and looks stupid but the payoff is insane. Full AP Varus, or variations of the Hybrid AP build have always been disgustingly strong, but considered *too niche* or completely ill-suited for the position of AD Carry, and the meta that AD Carry fluctuates in. Everyone is aware of the current effect of Blighted Quiver on liver servers: 10/14/18/22/26 (+25%) AP damage in auto-attacks, as well as percentage max health damage per stack that's popped, scaling by an extra 2% for every 100 AP that Varus possesses. The build style has long been touted as a tank buster as well as a squishy nuke that even makes assassin players step back and say 'What the F-' as a reaction to the damage that can be pulled out. Now, with the changes to Blighted Quiver, that percent max HP damage stays the same, the 25% extra AP damage stays the same, but the base damage is lowered. However, every 40 seconds, Varus can also apply **percent missing HP damage** on top of the percentage max HP damage. It's not a soft chunk either. This shit will hit _hard_, scaling from a potential 6%-15% of missing health damage. This new change to Blighted Quiver has shifted the power drastically back into Piercing Arrow - to be fair, it is Varus' key ability and the one he's known most for. This will make Hybrid Varus builds one of the strongest he'll have yet, and potentially making Lethality Varus look like a splash in the water. **TL;DR: The changes to Blighted Quiver (W) will shift power back into Varus' Piercing Arrow (Q) for the first time since the lethality nerf in Season 7, giving it execute potential every 40 seconds due to it getting %missing HP damage. The meta hybrid Varus build (and potentially full AP Varus builds) benefit from this buff massively, as he'll be potentially capable of stacking BOTH %max HP damage as well as %missing HP damage in a single movement.**
Report as:
Offensive Spam Harassment Incorrect Board
Cancel