Hashinshin made a pretty good point

Before people hit the downvote button because I got Hashinshin in the title, I encourage you to at least read the TL;DR section before making an opinion. I've also tried to take off the nostalgia googles as much as possible in my post. TL;DR: Items synergizing with each other is what ruins build diversity. Getting one item often forces you to get another specific item to make use of their effects. Because of this you'll never see "off-meta" builds that actually work, like how building {{item:3031}} forces you to build a critical strike item and trying something like {{item:3153}} on a champion on {{champion:51}} will put you too far behind in damage compared to IE+crit to be relevant. - https://youtu.be/XRsugp_4RDA?t=9m26s I think Hashinshin made a pretty good argument on one of League of Legends' major problems. Items all synergize with each other, which results in every role having 1 item build in general, not counting the outliners. I've been playing this game since 2010, and although there has always been a meta (besides season 1), adaption was still a thing and you couldn't always rely on the meta to carry you. The difference is that items back then had no synergy with each other, and though that's a personal preferance whether you like that or not, I'll at least explain why I think it was better back then. A classic mage back in the day didn't have unlimited mana, infact nobody had, and some regular abilities costed 130 mana ({{champion:99}} E, {{champion:267}} W etc.). So to cover this weakness you obviously had to build at least 1 mana item. These items could be {{item:3003}} {{item:3174}} {{item:3165}} {{item:3027}} or even {{item:3102}}. I am of course talking about previous versions of these items. Because these items didn't synergy, there was no connection between anything and you could build whatever you felt like suited the situation best. The enemy has late game champions and you need to compete with them? Go {{item:3027}} {{item:3003}} {{item:3089}} and scale slowly. Getting pushed back in lane and still need mana to linger longer? Go {{item:3102}} {{item:3027}} for some defensive capability and top off your mana. This applied to every role except ADC. They were the only ones who actually needed some more items, as only {{item:3031}} {{item:3046}} {{item:3072}} {{item:3035}} existed back then. - Looking at today's build paths almost all of them are identical. I don't think there's a single AD assassin out there that doesn't go {{item:3147}} {{item:3142}} {{item:3036}} ({{item:3095}}) {{item:3071}}/{{item:3814}} as their rush in whatever order they prefer {{champion:107}} {{champion:35}} {{champion:121}} {{champion:141}} {{champion:91}} {{champion:62}} {{champion:238}}. It's pretty clear what items they're supposed to build. Got high AD damage through abilities? Stack lethality and armor penetration to achieve success, and if you don't you'll do too little damage to be relevant. - Back in season 2 I got obliterated by a pre-rework {{champion:83}} that built {{item:3078}} {{item:3128}} {{item:3065}} {{item:3111}} {{item:3022}} {{item:4401}} against me as {{champion:8}}. Despite that build being a literal joke in the eyes of meta players, this build was too good for me to handle because it had burst, DPS, slow, movement speed and defensive capability. If he had gone standard build, he would have lost to me back then, but his ability to adapt through items beat me. - You're not going to see stuff like that anymore, you can see it in the recent ADC changes that Riot wants us to build a specific path. If you get {{item:3031}} you might as well get {{item:3094}}/{{item:3046}}/{{item:3087}} as well to make use of its passive, and if you get those items you might as well go full AD to maximize their effects.
Best New

We're testing a new feature that gives the option to view discussion comments in chronological order. Some testers have pointed out situations in which they feel a linear view could be helpful, so we'd like see how you guys make use of it.

Report as:
Offensive Spam Harassment Incorrect Board
Cancel