Want a filling, budget friendly, healthy meal? Make a simple Taco Bowl!

I love the summer! The high air conditioning bills, the lakes and oceans above freezing temperatures, but I especially love the boom in availability of fresh produce from local vendors and definitely lots from foreign vendors. Mexican food really shines in the summer because a lot of the recipes use summer produce. Here's a not too complicated taco bowl recipe that you can all easily make without breaking your bank! You can skip some of the ingredients without any worries if you want to keep your costs down even lower. This should be a very filling, nutritious, and healthy meal :) Hello my little poppets, here is a quick and easy meal you can make on those days when making something extravagant or paying $15 for a mediocre fast food meal is out of the question: Boil a cup of rice Take a can of beans (I prefer spicy beans) and add some chili powder, garlic powder, and cumin. You can heat this up in a pot to serve warm. Take one bell pepper and half a red onion. Slice both of them thinly and sautee them on the skillet. If you want some meat, you can add ground beef/chicken/lamb/whatever you want to the pan and cook until brown. Bonus points if you grind your own meat as it's much tastier! Meat isn't necessary in this meal because it's already pretty filling, so you don't need to add it if you plan on saving money, but the choice is yours. You can use store bought guacamole and salsa, or you make your own (it's much tastier if you make your own!): Corn Salsa: Mix together the following: 1 cup of corn Juice of half a lime 1/2 a roma tomato, seeded and diced 1 Jalepeno, seeded and diced 1/4 red onion diced Fresh cilantro, chopped Guacamole: 2 avocados, pitted and mashed Juice of one lime 1/2 a roma tomato, seeded and diced Fresh cilantro, chopped salt and whatever seasonings strikes your fancy. I used garlic powder and smoked paprika. 1/4 red onion diced (can scale it down to 1/8th if you don't want so much onion) Put everything together and enjoy! This serves four people, or two very hungry people. If you don't eat it all and are cooking for just yourself, keep everything you make in separate containers and heat up the peppers/onions, rice, and beans together and add the salsa and guacamole at the end. Also, put plastic wrap on top of your guacamole or else it will oxidize really quickly. Still got room for more food? Finish off the meal with a couple slices (or a quarter...or more) of watermelon! It pairs quite nicely with everything, and will leave your sugar cravings satisfied with natural, unprocessed, delicious sugar, along with hydrating water that most of you probably do not get enough and vitamins/minerals. Due to the delicate nature of this recipe, especially guacamole, plan on eating this within a day or two as it will not be fresh and tasty after that. Also, if you want to save containers, combine the peppers, beans, and rice on top into one! Don't put the rice on the bottom or it will get mushy and soak up any liquids from the other food. Enjoy!
Best New

We're testing a new feature that gives the option to view discussion comments in chronological order. Some testers have pointed out situations in which they feel a linear view could be helpful, so we'd like see how you guys make use of it.

Report as:
Offensive Spam Harassment Incorrect Board
Cancel