eCommerce Q&A

Udyr (NA)
submitted in [ARCHIVED] Miscellaneous
Welcome to the Riot eCommerce Q&A, hosted by Hippalus, Udyr, WizardCrab, BuboBubo, newscott, Wingfield, SaberPrivateer, and DontHassleThaHoff We are the team at Riot responsible for: • The store • Pricing • Weekly sales • Free to Play rotation • Gifting • Mystery skins • Flexible bundles • Summoner icon rewards • Double IP weekends We can also weigh in on other topics such as world playoffs, who’s the best jungler, or why crabs are cooler than mechs, but those are personal opinions only! {{item:3301}} {{item:3093}}
Now Viewing: Rioter Rundown
Zeitboy (EUW)
new
why i dont get SGU from Mistery Gifts?
Udyr (NA)
new
Every skin gets an equal chance so it depends on how many skins you don't own. Hope that helps.
Nsane (NA)
new
A giant enemy crab has appeared. What do you do?
new
I'm not sure but you definitely don't attack its weak point for massive damage. Stay away from the weak point.
AnonTwo (NA)
new
Oh hey, a Q&A on GD. Nice. umm...let's see. * What was the thought process behind charging RP only for some of the avatars awhile back? * Has there been any thought of putting in more IP purchases? * Any defined plan for championship Riven? * Are there any plans to revisit refunds on VU/reworked champions, provided the difference is considered enough to define it as a different champion entirely? For example, if someone played AP Sion and the playstyle is being removed completely from the game
Hippalus (NA)
new
> * What was the thought process behind charging RP only for some of the avatars awhile back? Assuming you mean summoner icons, we plan to continue to make some available for RP, some able to be earned, and various hybrids. > * Has there been any thought of putting in more IP purchases? Yes we frequently talk about ways to give more value to players that havelots of IP. We'll get there someday... > * Any defined plan for championship Riven? Most limited edition skins came back into the store 4 years after release and therefore one possible scenario is to bring her back during the 2016 playoffs as part of a 5 skin Championship bundle with Thresh, Shyvana, etc. > * Are there any plans to revisit refunds on VU/reworked champions, provided the difference is considered enough to define it as a different champion entirely? For example, if someone played AP Sion and the playstyle is being removed completely from the game No, we considered refunds and we also considered repricing Sion to reflect that he is effectively a new champion. We decided that neither made sense. Thanks for the questions!
BuboBubo (NA)
new
> * Has there been any thought of putting in more IP purchases? It's definitely something we want to do but its been challenging to find ideas that don't create risks at the same time. For cosmetic content, the general plan is to have them be purchasable with RP and use that to fund development of features, upgrades and content that make the game better for all players (both spenders and non-spenders). This lets us have gameplay content available without having to spend and lets us stand by the core principle of not being able to spend money to get an advantage over other players (excluding skin-timidation). That's not to say we can't/won't do it (eg: summoner icons, name change) but that we tend to be cautious. Another idea could be to have more gameplay content available for IP, but then players who are newer or aren't able to play as often wouldn't be able to access this content readily and that would make them less happy. Yet another idea was to allow gifting of content that is already available for IP. While we really really like gifting, this would increase the incentive to bot and hack accounts, which would likely do more harm than good. But as the number of players who have excess IP continues to grow, it is something we would love to solve. If you have any ideas or cool things you have seen in other games, please shoot them our way!
new
How about HUD skins? with IP. It would encourage players to play more to get a different HUD :D In game and Out of Game
BuboBubo (NA)
new
HUD skins does come up often as a suggestion for a new content type. Maybe I am misunderstanding but I think it would fall generally fall into the cosmetic category.
new
What is your opinions on Double IP weekends? And how do you go about how often they occur? Will, in the future, give schedules so we know when ahead when they are going to happen? Thank you guys :)
Udyr (NA)
new
Double IP weekends are great when used every so often. Generally we need to make sure that they don't conflict with server capacity or other events, which can be challenging given how much is going on in LoL. We plan on giving a week or two of notice before the next one and we plan to have a couple in the next year.
new
I had heard that there might be a rune page sale before the end of the year, and I was wondering if there might be another rune sale in the near future as well. Thanks!
Udyr (NA)
new
There will be one before the end of the year
Yare Jyji (EUW)
new
Hey guys, so are you also in charge of the limited / legacy skins repartition ? If so, after all that happened recently ( CS thresh back again, petition for CS Riven release etc..) can you tell us the real reason why CS Riven isn't changed into legacy ? So much fog around this mistery. Thanks :)
new
Hippalus touched on it here: http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/miscellaneous/H004gAPw-ecommerce-qa?comment=00090000
As someone that's spent a metric assload of money on skins and always looked forward to the idea of lifetime rewards, why are people who don't buy anything's opinion taken into consideration when they don't buy anything.
Hippalus (NA)
new
<<why are people who don't buy anything's opinion taken into consideration>> Because Riot's mission, which is the reason most Rioters are excited to work here, is to be the most player focused game company in the world. That philosophy means that we value all players equally, even if they don't spend money. Our content development team puts a ton of effort into making sure players get great value when they support us by buying RP. The lifetime rewards idea was supposed to be a small additional token of our appreciation, but unfortunately, it has performed poorly in surveys and is currently in the icebox.
new
> Because Riot's mission, which is the reason most Rioters are excited to work here, is to be the most player focused game company in the world. That philosophy means that we value all players equally, even if they don't spend money. Our content development team puts a ton of effort into making sure players get great value when they support us by buying RP. The lifetime rewards idea was supposed to be a small additional token of our appreciation, but unfortunately, it has performed poorly in surveys and is currently in the icebox. Well, Riot will give skins, etc. to people that support them by coming to PAX and other events (hard since their is nothing close to me ever) but won't give free things (not even skins just small tokens) to people that support the game through actual cash given to the company? This doesn't make any sense to me. I want Triumphant Ryze should you just give it to me so I am treated equally even though I haven't earned it? I am not trying to be a smart ass here but really this doesn't at all seem consistent with the way Riot acts. You reward people for doing things in the game or supporting the game except for the people that actually keep the doors open. Anyway, I do know that you all work hard, and I love this game, I just think that you are wrong in how you were handling this especially after it was promised for so long. edit: to be clear I haven't spent a ton of money on this game and am not looking for something for me, I just think this logic makes no sense.
Hippalus (NA)
new
To be clear, the question I was answering there was "why are people who don't buy anything's opinion taken into consideration?". If you're asking why we are not giving a small token of appreciation to big spenders, it's because when we surveyed big spenders, they scored the idea very poorly, in part because many thought a summoner icon was too small of a reward. We've switched our effort to rewards that all players can earn such as the Shurima Ascension rewards.
new
> To be clear, the question I was answering there was "why are people who don't buy anything's opinion taken into consideration?". > > If you're asking why we are not giving a small token of appreciation to big spenders, it's because when we surveyed big spenders, they scored the idea very poorly, in part because many thought a summoner icon was too small of a reward. I won't push this any further after this but I'd be willing to bet if you surveyed the people that don't attend PAX and the like they would be heavily against you giving out skins, etc. only to the people that do. Not attending those is in most cases a monetary problem the same as not buying RP is. Will you do that and stop giving stuff out at those events if the surveys comes back like that? I bet not and I don't necessarily think that's the right thing to do but I do think you should be consistent. Thanks for your time.
Hippalus (NA)
new
Yeah that's a good point. The unfortunate but honest reality is that we have a higher bar for new programs than we do for ones that have been in place forever (like PAX skins). Since it was my idea in the first place, I am more bummed than anyone that we have failed to make this program a reality.
Jolyne (EUW)
new
> Because Riot's mission, which is the reason most Rioters are excited to work here, is to be the most player focused game company in the world. That philosophy means that we value all players equally, even if they don't spend money. Our content development team puts a ton of effort into making sure players get great value when they support us by buying RP. The lifetime rewards idea was supposed to be a small additional token of our appreciation, but unfortunately, it has performed poorly in surveys and is currently in the icebox. How about you send that Survey only to people who actually spend money on League of Legends..?
Hippalus (NA)
new
We surveyed both groups 1) random players, and 2) spenders. The lifetime reward plans we came up with didn't score very well with either group. I can assure you that the people that put a ton of effort into coming up with the plans (mainly me and Don'tHassleDaHoff) were more disappointed than anyone.
Kakashi Hatake - we surveyed many types of players and looked at the data for each section. We didn't make the decision blindly. As Hippalus mentioned, everything performed relatively poorly. As players that were surveyed had unrealistic expectations or weren't happy with what we were offering. The initial goal here was to make something that players that spent money felt good about receiving, and since none of the options that we presented (and we presented many different options) made the players feel good, we made the call to refocus our efforts onto things that delighted our players. Hippalus talked about this previously on reddit : http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/2ggk83/riot_promised_rewards_for_active_rp_buyers_as/ckj1e2l
Tact (NA)
new
Is there any news about being able to gift Ward Skins to people? Is that still in the works, or did you determine that not enough people would use the feature? I had to gift RP to a friend of mine and tell him to use it on a Ward Skin when I wanted to give him one. If you're still working on it, what's the main challenge with it? Is it mostly a technical issue?
Udyr (NA)
new
There are some other problems related to Ward Skins that we would rather solve first before spending the time to make them giftable, i.e. being able to select them in a better way. It's definitely on our long term radar though.
Zetryo (NA)
new
Can you sell more merch? I keep hearing about new stuff coming but where is it? I'd love to buy the stuff they give out at events.. I wanna swag out in Lulu gear..
Hippalus (NA)
new
Patience young Lulu Waena, your time is almost at hand...
SnowFall (NA)
new
Are there any upcoming IP price reductions?
Udyr (NA)
new
We do IP price reductions every Champion release, here is some info: https://support.leagueoflegends.com/entries/37603494-Permanent-Champion-Price-Reduction
What does it take to work for the eCommerce department? What kind of experience is "good" on a resume? What kinda degrees are relevant? Basically, what makes a potential applicant more desirable then another?
Udyr (NA)
new
The only common theme between the team members is that we are all stuck in Gold except for WizardCrab. That probably isn't very helpful though :p Experience varies greatly but a focus on data analysis and business fundamentals combined with love of LoL and making players happy is a good start.
Faemn (NA)
new
So what you are saying is that my future degree in Business Intelligence would be perfect for this?
BuboBubo (NA)
new
It would also be a great starting point for our analytics team!
new
This isn't an Analytics Q&A! ;)
Haha awesome. Thanks. I'm an econ major with focus on businesses, so thats a start right?
Udyr (NA)
new
Definitely a good start.
I'm holding down Silver!
SnowFall (NA)
new
Some champions cost 450 IP because they are easier to play for newer players. Does that mean there will be no new champions that are easy to play for newer players because they cost 7800-6300?
new
The IP price of new champions will be 7800 IP for the first week and then 6300 IP after that for the foreseeable future, regardless of difficulty of the champion. I don't think it means that all new champions will be somehow more difficult.
new
- Can we get a Ratio of how Mystery skins are going out? For exemple, a Legendary skin is 500/1 and a ultimate 5000/1 - Are you planning on working out how IP gaining works and/or do a Rune bundle for begginer players?
Udyr (NA)
new
It's an equal chance for each skin depending on the skins you haven't purchased. I.e. if you have 9 regular skins and one Legendary that you haven't purchased, then the chance of getting the Legendary is 1 in 10
BuboBubo (NA)
new
> - Are you planning on working out how IP gaining works and/or do a Rune bundle for begginer players? We are looking into improving the new player experience around runes, specifically making T1 and T2 more accessible and less of a purchase you look back on with regret. The target sentiment would be something like T1 runes, which are generally considered a good value for the cost. Can't promise a timeline though.
new
One more thing: there will be a championship Vi for season VI, right? That's a no-brainer IMO.
Udyr (NA)
new
It definitely has some numeric appeal I will give you that {{champion:254}}
new
What happened to the very attractive month theme bundles, I remember that we had in April and in May a very attractive bundle with champions and skins, what happened to those?
Udyr (NA)
new
We vary the bundle themes and have recently put out several bundles related to eSports and Sugar Rush. You'll see some more of the previous bundles themes throughout the end of the year.
Moobeat (NA)
new
Few follow up questions from stuff mentioned in the last AMA: - Any progress with being able to make a wishlist for content? - Any headway on making a shop available outside of the client (for purchasing sale / limited time content if one can't access the client)? - In the past you guys mentioned wanting players to be able to create their own bundles - is that still on the table?
new
Wishlist - tl;dr we haven't made any development progress towards a wishlist. However, we are starting to reserve space for it in new store designs. There is a lot of clean-up that needs to happen in the store first before we'll get to a wishlist. It is on our radar though! Shopping outside the client - We HAVE made progress on this front. In fact, redeeming Shurima icons in the promotion website was a good test of the infrastructure necessary for external purchases. Purchasing anywhere requires many components to come together: a secure account log-in, service availability, a robust catalog service, and more. We are moving in that direction and you'll start to see more applications of it in the future. {{summoner:12}}
new
Are you going to be coming out with a new ultimate skin anytime soon?
Udyr (NA)
new
There is a new Ultimate skin in the works, but I don't want to give any hints about the release date or who it is going to be so that people don't get disappointed if it gets pushed back.
Portick (NA)
new
I really liked the themed free-to-play rotation during the Shurima event. Will we see more of those? Also, the weekly world's MVP comp bundles were really cool, any idea if those will continue past worlds? (I.E LCS playoffs, relegation tournament, etc.)
UnicyclingBear - ferocious name! I'm glad you liked the Themed Free2Play rotation - we were a pretty big fan of it as well. We're constantly looking for ways to make the events more aligned - I hope you noticed the Themed Bundles for Shurima and Sugar Rush too! We'll continue to explore ways to make the sales and and bundles connected if it makes sense and I'm glad you enjoyed it!
new
Where's my sweet sweet Order of the Lotus Karma skin?! You can just...you know...unlock it. Rito please. And on a serious note, have you considered selling a bundle with all champions in it at a discount so that completionists like me can buy all the champions with RP without having to pay for each one individually?
BuboBubo (NA)
new
> Where's my sweet sweet Order of the Lotus Karma skin?! You can just...you know...unlock it. Rito please. My Karma play may be bad enough to lose to bots but that is a risk I am willing to take just to play that skin. > And on a serious note, have you considered selling a bundle with all champions in it at a discount so that completionists like me can buy all the champions with RP without having to pay for each one individually? Nice idea! This could definitely be done. The sticker shock on this worries me though - something like the first N champions for Y dollars might be more viable.
new
Your Double IP weekends are something that most games tend to do to help along grinding, but I feel like you don't do them very often compared to others. Do you plan out your frequency and longevity for each Double IP weekend? And if so, how? Also, why is it only weekends? I feel like Double IP shouldn't have to be confined to only Saturdays and Sundays. Not saying they should be 24/7 since I know people still need to work to unlock things. Thank you for taking the time to answer!
Udyr (NA)
new
We usually do Friday, Saturday, Sunday because that is the time that people are able to play the most and take advantage of the promotion.
Puddy (EUW)
new
What are the plans for double ip weekends right now? How do you decide what champion will be free, or on sale? Last answer on this topic i saw was in 2010. Are there any plans on summoner icons for good behaviour, or summoner icons for playing X amount of games or playing for x amount of time? Pudding or cake?
new
> What are the plans for double ip weekends right now? Udyr touched on this here: http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/miscellaneous/H004gAPw-ecommerce-qa?sort_type=best&comment=00030000 > How do you decide what champion will be free, or on sale? Last answer on this topic i saw was in 2010. For free champions, we like to have a mix of roles, difficulties, and prices in each rotation. Sometimes I also like to put in champions with interesting interactions, whether that means there's a 'hook' rotation with Thresh, Nautilus, and Blitz or some lore interaction like Diana and Leona. I also really like to put Rengar and Kha'Zix free together :D For sales, the biggest factor for determining what goes on sale has been how long it has been since it was last on sale, although we're now evaluating this to see if there are other methods that can bring more value for both us and players. There is also a rotation of the price tiers of content on sale that can be seen here: http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=39670814 > Are there any plans on summoner icons for good behaviour, or summoner icons for playing X amount of games or playing for x amount of time? We've been thinking about which behaviors we want to reward and how that affects the game. If we decide we wand to go down that road, it could include some of the ideas you mentioned here. No promises here though. We really don't have anything to get excited about yet. We do often have things like you mentioned though for events :) > Pudding or cake? 100% pudding. No contest.
BuboBubo (NA)
new
I'm gonna just go ahead and say that cake is way better. Pudding texture is just...{{champion:96}}
new
There are some trust issues associated with it but I'd still have to go with cake. {{item:2052}}
Derpyyy (NA)
new
Will you be releasing holiday themed skins? Would love to have some of those in my skin collection :D
Udyr (NA)
new
Yes, the previous Harrowing and Snowdown skins will come back. We will have new skins related to whatever events we happen to run ;)
Rhoogar (EUW)
new
Why can't we have Black Alistar for a day in the shop? It's a non reward skin that was never in the store. Why should such a beautiful skin be kept away from the thousands of people that play Ali?
new
So Black Alistar is in a group of skins that has never been sold in the store at any point, and it's a really difficult thing to go back and add now. We have absolutely no plans to do this at the moment. I know that kind of sucks since very few people own it, but that's our policy right now. If you're interested in types of skins, you can find them categorized here: https://support.leagueoflegends.com/entries/22578914-Guide-to-Champion-Skin-Types
new
1) When is Popstar Ahri going on sale? 2) What about Scarlet Hammer Poppy going on sale? What are your guys thoughts on Poppy as a champ? 3) Why are runes so expensive? [As I've said](http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/GD/yf5K55E3-rune-costs-need-to-change) the fun of buying 3 runes does not compare to the fun of buying a new character. The pricing is off and I wish that rune pages were the sink, not runes. 4) Why doesn't the store have a wishlist feature? This would both clue you in on what people want to buy, what would be good for a sale, as well as let people filter out skins they don't give a crap about? 5) Why can't we have icons for skins/champs we own? 6) Who do you predict will win the esports finals? 7) Godzilla vs Gamera: who wins?
new
2) I'm a big fan of Poppy. I use her a lot in Dominion b/c bashing champs into walls is fun. One of the Unlock team members plays her a lot and enjoys the fact he can get in the middle of things and cause a ruckus! {{champion:78}} 4) I agree Linna Excel, wishlists would have lots of benefits. We're focusing on fixing up some of the foundational problems in the store right now but we've been exploring the concept in some new layouts. FYI, when you go to gift the options will be filtered just to what your friend doesn't own. We added this late last year. More work to do though! 6) My guess is the team that uses Poppy. =p 7) We all love you Gamera! {{champion:31}}
new
So, you guys are in charge of the Free-To-Play rotation, so... 1. Why is Quinn{{champion:133}} on the rotation all the time? 2. Why is Yorick{{champion:83}} never on the rotation?
Udyr (NA)
new
Quinn is on regularly because she is an AD carry and those get a lot of coverage on the rotation. Yorick doesnt show up because frankly it's not very fun to play against him right now and he has some inherent problems in his design.
new
Hi there!, first of all, thank you for your hard work. Here comes my question: Any news on that system that would let players buy skins in different colors? (I saw it not so long ago you had an example with lucian)
Udyr (NA)
new
We are still investigating. Blucian is OP though.
new
Is there a possibility for a Elsa Themed Janna skin for Christmas, Because if that's the case, I'll build a snow man out of a wad of cash and mail it to you!
Udyr (NA)
new
I'm not sure Disney would be too pleased, so I guess we'll just have to Let It Go
new
There's Glacial Olaf. That's kind of like Frozen Olaf. Which is just like that snowman, right? Right?
LY0NEX (EUW)
new
Could you guys possibly make Sale Schedules for every month? Or did it reflect negatively on sales? Cause, for me personally, it takes me 2 or 3 days to buy RP which brings me to my next idea. Are there any plans to allow people from North Africa (Tunisia in my case) to buy RP officially? Like cards or mobile purchases because, I have to get someone to buy RP FOR me, it would usually cost me DOUBLE the usual cost cause of currency difference AND the buyer's interest (30 % ) and it's just not something I'm happy about to be honest, I WANT to support you guys and spend some money on the game if I'm buying something I like but spending DOUBLE every single time I wanna get something is pretty inconvenient don't you think?
Hippalus (NA)
new
Yeah I agree that sucks. Our Payments guy is in Germany right now enjoying Oktoberfest but I know he is very interested in bringing easier payment methods to the Middle East and North Africa. There's nothing imminent but I predict it will happen sometime in 2015. As for the sale schedules, some players missed the surprise of finding out the sales twice a week, so we're still evaluating whether to bring back the schedules.
new
When do you think the next double IP weekend is going to be?
Udyr (NA)
new
There will be another one before the end of the year
Can I have a {{champion:119}}
Udyr (NA)
new
{{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:48}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}} {{champion:119}}
new
Hey there, there was a bit of a buzz in the Azir launch where he was almost insta-disabled when he came out and people spent 7800IP but the thing is, when he came back Enabled, he was 6300IP, so people spent 1500IP for nothing. I can speak for myself because I spent 7800IP and didn't even had the chance to play him before he was Disabled. My question is, do you take that in count? That people bought him using diferent IP values and still we didn't hear anything from Riot's part? Thanks :)
new
He was disabled for less than 24 hours and when he came back he was still at 7800 IP for the remainder of his launch week. It sucks that those players that played the premium lost a day of their extra time but after discussing it we felt that the bug shouldn't mean that all of the players waiting for the price drop should also wait an extra day. I know it wasn't a perfect decision but we felt it was best for the player base as a whole.
new
i know that you're not responsible for the skins themselves, but do you think championship riven will ever come back? i made a petition about 10 days ago that has 12k signatures and rising of people who want it to come back if thats any help.
TL;DR: **Yes** Hippalus answered this [earlier in the thread](http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/miscellaneous/H004gAPw-ecommerce-qa?comment=00090000) *Most limited edition skins came back into the store 4 years after release and therefore one possible scenario is to bring her back during the 2016 playoffs as part of a 5 skin Championship bundle with Thresh, Shyvana, etc.*
Hippalus (NA)
new
Yes I think Championship Riven will come back someday. Most limited edition skins took four years to come back after release, and it's been two years for Riven so far.
Will we ever see a Riot based shop where we can buy merch? Such as Blitz hoodies, Worlds/Allstars hoodies, cool hats, etc?
new
We will. No timeline we can tell you though unfortunately. And I can't guarantee those specific items.
kdawg113 (EUW)
new
Quick Question about the store , How often do you release the ability to self purchase mystery skins or is it only available during events {{item:3270}}
new
No specific schedule and it doesn't have to align with events. Expect it a few times per year.
new
Can you guys make a summoner icon for Being a Bear like me? >.<{{champion:106}}
new
There's that Teddy Bear icon!
Mansana (NA)
new
A few questions: 1. A few months ago a survey of recolored skins was sent. Was it received well? Are you looking forward to provide this new skin tier list? If so would some past skins be re-priced accordingly? And will compensation be given to those who already have current recolored skins such as Deadly Kennen? 2. Any chance of an RP sale coming soon during Halloween week and/or during the holidays?
new
We're still investigating the concept of recolors. If you could recolor any champ/skin...which would it be and which color?
Zetryo (NA)
new
Has riot ever considered selling level 30 accounts? Why have the bundles slowed down? Why has it taken so long for World's summoner icons to come out? Half the teams are out of the competition and we still can't buy them. Finally, with the Shurima event, we had alot more free champions to play with than usual, feedback was really positive, can you guys expand the amount of champions for free weeks? Thanks
new
We have talked about the idea of level 30 accounts. There are significant gameplay implications in addition to other design considerations. I'm curious what the community thinks about the idea. {{summoner:4}}
ripjaw52 (NA)
new
So I'm curious, why don't we ever see Yorick on the free rotation? I was doing some looking over the champions, and he is just about the only one I have never seen on free rotation, also maybe Sion. More generally, why are some champions more common than others, instead of just running through them in groups until they've all been free, then starting back at the top?
new
So Yorick isn't ever free because frankly we don't like him, and neither do players. When was the last time you heard someone say, "I played against a Yorick. It was super fun!"? He kind of ruins everyone's good time. Some champions are more common because of roles. Every week is going to have 2 Marksmen (usually) and 2 Mids (usually). There are like 10 champs that can be Marksmen and like 50 champs that can play mid, so you'll see those Marksmen much more often.
new
Who's next on the Rework 'Chopping Block'?
new
Here's your best source: https://support.leagueoflegends.com/entries/40116190-Champion-Update-Schedule
midjenko (EUW)
new
Any details available on the next Ultimate Skin? Like what champion it will be for and when it will be released, even just saying if it will come out before the end of the year would be nice. Thanks
new
No updates. But it IS for a champion and it WILL be released.
Are there any plans for another 30% off runes sale like the one in April?
new
There are not. That sale was part of the rune rebalancing that was done. We don't plan to have another sale with or without future rune rebalancing.
new
I was curious I noticed you can only change ward skins in the store. Which means when doing champ select you can not. I have several ward skins and champs, and I like them to match up in game if possible. Are you doing anything in the future to make ward skin changing as easy as champ skin changes in champ select?
Udyr (NA)
new
We definitely want to solve this problem. No timeline but solutions are actively being discussed.
YetiGT (NA)
new
Is there any reasoning you can talk about as to why champions are only playable during the free to play and there is no test arena style mode to test champions before you purchase them is it a eCommerce decision or a design one?
new
Providing more information about items before purchase is something we need to improve. Consider Ward Skins: All we have are static images in the store which doesn't convey some of the cool placement, idle, and destruction animations. We made a cool mecha ward skin but you can't see any information about that in the store! We're working on that problem right now. To be direct to your question, I don't know when/if we'll include a test arena mode. We'll need to put some thought into how best to scratch that itch. {{champion:29}}
new
A silly question. Why are there so few summoner icons in the store? I know that some of them are seasonal, but I think that there could be a greater variety of icons always present in the store.
new
We're slowly building out the catalog.
new
Random question from a curious guy: What is the most popular lane in your department?
Udyr (NA)
new
We all Jungle Amumu which makes our 5 man Ranked Team really bad
new
Just like to say, the weekly sales you guys do are fantastic. I love that to play this game, all items bought with real life money don't affect game play and is purely cosmetic. Personally I've spent over £400 on league ( I think) and i'm sure i'll still be investing more. If there's anything i could suggest it would be to keep releasing the schedule for the skin sales cause it gives time for pre planning, thanks a lot :)
new
Thanks!
new
Hi, I'm really confused that all teams who attend world champions 2014 have summoner icons sale in the game except the Chinese teams(OMG, EDG, ROYAL) Could you put these summoner icons in the store pls?{{champion:32}}
BuboBubo (NA)
new
I am not a 100% sure on this but last I heard there were some challenges around licensing/contracting that made this hard to do.
Laureneil (EUW)
new
Hey don't know if this was asked but was wondering was there any chance you might implement the ability to gift bundles, such as the starter bundle to new friends who start up and the special say fnatic bundles, mvp bundles, etc...
new
Howdy, the short story is: yes. The longer story is: we need to rework the underlying tech behind bundles to make them easier to manage so we can do other interesting and fun things with bundles for you guys. It is something we are going to start working on in the near future; and that work might result in being able to gift your friends awesome bundles.
new
Wizard Crab, is it true Crab Battle is a historic event? You wouldn't happen to know the crab in question would you? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mHKHKR8x6A
new
Don't mess with us ;)
When I used mystery gifting, I think i spent about 100+ dollars of RP in it. I ended up getting 2 or 3 + skins on the same champions many times while half my champs don't have skins. Therefore I have a lot of mystery gift skins that I will never use; will we ever be able to roll them like with the rune combiner? Will you please change mystery gifting so that if i've bought or have gotten a skin on a certain champ it is less likely i'll get another for that champ?
new
Sorry about your experience with Mystery Gifting. :/ We designed Mystery Gifting to be completely random. As a result, we've seen some interesting results from players in terms of the pattern of champs/skins awarded. The team has talked about ways we could alter mystery gifting for a short period of time...your reroll idea might be a good one! For now, we're not planning on any significant changes to Mystery Gifting beyond things like the double legendary chance.
BetaRho (NA)
new
Hey team! I'm actually sitting in an Electronic Commerce class as we speak, in a law school that will remain nameless. I only mention that to point out that my questions may be a little bit more big picture than some (and to remind myself not to get too long-winded as I should probably pay attention!) Going forward, how is your team's goals going to change, as the player base is slower to grow with new players? My reasoning behind this question is that, as more and more players hit level 30, unlock all champions, and unlock a good amount of runes, your possible commercial engagement with them has shrunk, as they are no longer able, let alone willing, to spend RP on champions or XP boosts, and may be less inclined to buy IP boosts. Of course this question is based on an assumption, so it's TOTALLY FINE for your answer to be "your assumption is wrong!" But going forward, what's your engagement for "capped out" players? What's your thought on other models in the field that seem to be more geared towards going after whales, while still offering more traditional microtransactions? For instance, when SMITE was in its infancy, they offered all at the time current and future champions for a one-time price of $30. At the time, SMITE's legitimacy was unknown so it was a bit of a gamble, but now that the game is on fairly steady footing, it turned out to be a fantastic value. You've sort of moved into this with things like skin bundles, but I guess the difference there is that the bundles are a known quantity, whereas SMITE's deal was very much unknown. Have you ever thought about doing something like, for instance, a $50 "2015 subscription", which would unlock every champion, champion release skin, and maybe additional released skins, sight unseen? (EDIT: Realized I didn't explicitly point out that I meant every champion, champion release skin, and additional skins released in the 2015 calendar year, though maybe "Season 5" subscription would be more thematic.) I may have more questions later, but for now, back to class. Thanks again for taking the time! EDIT2: If it's not too forward to ask, I'm actually writing an essay for this class, and the answer to these questions would be tangentially related to my subject, so if you don't want to answer here, or would be willing for a longer form answer via email on your team's bigger picture things in general, feel free to reach out to me on Twitter @TBH_Beta.
Hippalus (NA)
new
Great question about the changing player base. You'll likely see us invest more time into new types of content and features that will appeal to veteran players. Ideally there will be options for both RP and IP. We've considered subscriptions but things change so quickly in LoL that we'd want something that we're sure would be good for both players and Riot over time. Good luck with your essay!
Hey guys! Long time player here, you all have aided in getting me to invest just a few too many dollars since that start of 2011 A few questions, comments and suggestions on my experience over the years regarding things that fall under your department: * **The mystery skins program is brilliant.** The gamble is thrilling and draws people in, promotes gifting, sells merchandise to otherwise uninterested parties who would never purchase the skin, and still feels rewarding, even when you get skins for champions you don't play. * **I think it would be beneficial to update champion tags.** When I say tags, I mean how champions are tagged as "Support" and such. This does extend to searching in champion select as well; but as far as marketing goes, when somebody is looking for a new champion to buy, pointing them toward champions for the role they are looking for is useful. *(Personally, I think the system as a whole should be updated. If I were to create a new system right now, I would use a 2 tag system: Primary roles/lanes would be the first, and would label someone as a Jungler/Top, or as Mid/Support, or as Bottom Lane Marksman, ect. The second would list strengths of the champion; for example. Ziggs can be tagged as having/being Safe. Pusher, and Harass. I would like to consider letting players vote on tags, as well, to keep up with the meta, but that has its own issues* * **Whats the possibility/likelyhood of seeing more types of goods to purchase? Or something else to dump IP on?** As you can probably tell by my account name, I have much IP to spare; and I'll always find an excuse to purchase more RP. * **So if you handle icon rewards, what kind of decision power do you have on rewarded events?** I'd really like to see more LoL events like the Ionia, Frejlord, and recent Shurima events, of course; but I'd like to see more cool stuff for both lore and Riot interaction in general. Everything from Riot vs Community games/Arams/tourneys for glory or icons, to permanently instated events/icon rewards **(Basically achievements of a sort)** for things like gifting, level milestones, owning every champion, X number of normal wins in a game mode, playing every mode X times, owning all the skins for a champion or a skin set (Commandos, for example), and so on. I just feel there is more that can be done with this without ruining the experience for people * **This suggestion is a stretch; but I think it may be needed. Is there a possibility of awarding a free runepage and X amount of IP for reaching level 30?** This is mostly for ranked play; I don't feel like 2 rune pages and a tiny champion pool are often enough to jump right into ranked play; and this can benefit people who will play with both newly 30 players and smurfs alike; it may help reduce the number of people who run into ranked at level 30, and can only play 1 role and 2 champions reliably * **Runes suck.** I have 3-4 digits spent on this game, and thousands of games over 3-4 years; I still don't have a 'complete' (IE, Useful) set of runes with runepages. On top of that, there are plenty of runes that are noobait (Gold quints...), runes that are basically still mandatory (HP instead of armor, now), runes that are either broken/mandatory or useless (% HP runes on heavy HP tank jungles), and general inconsistency in pricing while still managing to cost a small fortune. **Runes are probably my last major gripe with the design of this game, outside of the gameplay.** I like the general business model, I'm happy with progress made in graphics, Im happy with the direct of the client changes and upgrades, I like the store, I like the skins and release schedules; but I hate runes. It has so much potential as a way to "Customize" your gameplay, but ends up being ruined from imbalances and cost of the systme as a whole **Are you guys looking into this at all?** > * **New Irelia and Thresh skins pls kthx** That's it; apologies for the word wall and thanks for doing this AMA!
Hippalus (NA)
new
A lot of great comments/questions here - your thinking is pretty aligned with ours and I think you'll be happy about changes you see in the next year.
new
I'm not sure if this is still running but if so, have any of you guys ever seen the "Power to the Players" system that Jagex uses on their game Runescape? It's a really good system that really does make you feel like your part of the community, along with knowing that your vote does actually count, it might be worth taking a look into as a system like that would work wonders on League, thanks for taking the time to read!{{summoner:10}} p.s. Sorry if i'm not allowed to mention other games :c
BuboBubo (NA)
new
I had not heard of this and will check it out now - thanks for the pointer! No harm in mentioning other games and companies - we want to hear the best ideas out there.
new
Let me know what you think of it, I'd love to know what you guys think of a system like this :D
BuboBubo (NA)
new
The community already heavily influences a lot of our decisions via forums, surveys and other feedback. A direct vote would dial up the agency even more which is cool. Have there been any particularly glaring instances where people were unhappy with the majority choices? Would love to learn more to understand the implications better.
Yuchino (NA)
new
I really like the idea of earning summoner icons through new game modes, like what was done with Ascension, especially the icon for Perfect Ascension. It really brings out a great and fun challenge. Can this be done for all future game mode releases? (Such as the Hexakill game that may be coming out soon) Maybe in the future, is it possible to get a special champion skin through doing challenges/game modes? Basically, a way to get special skins instead of playing ranked games. (Do not have to be Victorious skins, basically, another set of skins... like Event skins) Also, I like the release of skin/champion sale dates monthly. Is it possible to bring that back? Or, what is the thought process of not bringing that back? Thanks!
new
> I really like the idea of earning summoner icons through new game modes, like what was done with Ascension, especially the icon for Perfect Ascension. It really brings out a great and fun challenge. Can this be done for all future game mode releases? (Such as the Hexakill game that may be coming out soon) > > Maybe in the future, is it possible to get a special champion skin through doing challenges/game modes? Basically, a way to get special skins instead of playing ranked games. (Do not have to be Victorious skins, basically, another set of skins... like Event skins) > Howdy, There are a bunch of technical details that I will not outline here but at the end of the day we have been doing a TON of work to enable other teams to reward players items whatever the team deems an appropriate and fun reward for the event very easily. Shurima was a result of a lot of work that will come back again and again in different forms as the events teams here at Riot think of awesome engaging ways to thank our players for playing. So short answer is, yeah! we will be bring it back. Shurima was just the start. As for content, that is all dependent on the event. This time it was Icons, there is nothing on the tech side that prevents an event team for planning an event that rewards in something else, it just depends on the event.
new
Do you have any input on the Store UI? For example, when purchasing runes I have to swap from profile to store and back because I cannot see what I already own and I'd like to be able to resume where I was in the store's rune page rather than restarting from the store homepage each time. Another example of poor UI is when browsing the store during que I often find that if a que pops, and not everyone accepts, I'm kicked out of the store and have to take extra time to navigate back to where I already was rather than resuming. Does your team have say in how the UI functions or are you purely in charge of, 'this week x is on sale'?
new
This is a pretty big problem and probably the most frequent feedback for the store. The communication between the client and the store (they aren't quite the same thing!) is something the Unlock team has been working on to improve. In fact, we're hoping to roll out some features that use this tech in the near future. From a design perspective, we'd like to push as many purchases as possible to be "in context". An example of this is the ability to purchase a champ from your profile. While we <3 the store on the Unlock team we want to make it so you can spend more time to focus on the game. {{item:3157}}
Laureneil (EUW)
new
I would think ip for borders or things is ok but I would think skins should prob stay money only in my opinion
new
Custom borders around your champ in the loading screen, right? Interesting idea. I'm stuck in bronze IV so don't know that sweet sweet feeling of having a swanky border. If you have a ranked border...would you ever use something else? What kind of borders would you want to see? {{item:3207}} {{item:3208}}
new
If you're stuck in Bronze IV spend less time working and more time playing LoL ;)
new
Playing mostly ARAMs doesn't help either. =p
new
I was wondering if you guys have considered or researched merchandise in the form of figures/figurines. There are quite a few champs that would lend themselves well to figure format; the full size statues of Ryze/Annie/Trondmore/Katarina were amazing, but what about smaller scales for domestic collectors?
new
I can't speak to future plans for that, but I was at worlds last two years and everyone got a figurine at the exit. I know that is not the answer to your question, I don't know most of that answer; but I suppose you could think of those as research?
new
Hey there, not quite eCommerce related, but I was wondering how you guys take into account things like ideas people post on Reddit or the forums. I am very intrigued by how open to community ideas you are, so I was wondering how you guys do it. As a side note, would who would win in a fight between a giant crab and a giant mecha crab?
new
If it is a good idea it doesn't matter where it comes from! We take the community perspective very seriously to inform our designs and priorities. How else could we be player focused? There are many different methods teams use to seek out that information. There are the forums and social media but we also send out surveys and bring in players for play tests. It is always insightful and fun to read through the comments players provide with our surveys! That being said, we aren't driven completely by the feedback since it represents only a small segment of the player base. We also use data collection and leverage the expertise on our teams to make decisions. I'm partial to mechs so I'd go with the Giant Mecha Crab! "lasers" {{champion:112}} + {{champion:6}}
Jonat (NA)
new
How much does the eConmerce department work with other departments within Riot? I remember reading that, for the most part, you operate pretty separately, but it also seems like the Shurima event took a lot of collaboration with the Lore department and there's clearly a lot of content related to eSports. What's the organization like? And do you like the way it's set up, or do you wish something was different?
new
Riot is very flat, but there is an order. We are broken into several organizational groupings. Meaning we have many many teams working independently on projects that are important to our over all Riot goals, but also for your organizational goal as well. Events tend to be a time when many teams will rally together to create a much larger experience and any one team can provide. I have been here for >2.5 years now and this style of self originating and bottom up designs mean that the people that are passionate about making awesome happen are the ones doing the work and talking to the other Rioters that they need help to finish. So this means plans and ideas are more socialized rather than dictated to other teams that have required involvement. This makes me feel more involved in the random other projects I get asked to work on because I am invested in them and their project rather than it just being a checkbox list of items to do before the day is over like I have had in the past.
Why are there only NA eCommerce employees right now? Do you guys review the data from all regions and do adjustments based on the info ( i mean if there is something)? Bad question to ask... So maybe someone for a game on euw? :p
BuboBubo (NA)
new
There are regional eCommerce teams as well which own things like local payment methods, promotions, local policies and much more. Since we are all on different time zones and somewhat spread out, this turned out to be a central Q&A. We do look at data from each of the regions. There are many local differences that we wouldn't find or understand if we didn't look at regional data and get context from the teams who relate to these players at a more personal level.
**Mystery Skins**, Y U NO have timer showing next availability, and/or reset at a specific time of the day rather than 24 hours after last skin purchase? I've been around for 3 Mystery Skin sales, and each time I bought all I could each day but because I didn't write down the time and log in for the reset you guys definitely lost at least 50$ from me (and I'm sure many others didn't get the max amount even though they tried).
new
that is not a bad idea... I am literally writing this on a sticky note and putting it on my wall.
Create a Discussion

Guidelines
**Culture** There are an awful lot of other boards. Are you sure your post doesn’t go in one of them? Be sure to double check!. This board is for content that doesn’t have a home or that doesn’t fit on one of the other boards. However, be sure to follow the Universal Guidelines when posting here! > ***{{champion:161}} : What secrets are you hiding?***