Garen’s Justice – Legal and Illegal Third Party Applications

http://i.imgur.com/OHFBCig.png **Legal and Illegal Third Party Applications** --- The purpose of this overview is to inform players of what is safe in the jungle that is the third party applications. If you have an application you know of and you wonder about said applications legality, please read through this post first. If you are not enlightened after you have read it, feel free to post your questions. I will personally evaluate the legality of the application to ensure that justice prevails! **Important notice:** even though the overview is supposed to help ensure that applications are legal and safe, I cannot {{champion:86}} -tee that they really are, as there might be changes that are not listed in the patch notes. I am also only a human being, so my reviews of the features of applications, although they are in light of the Riot TOUs, might be erroneous. I can therefore not be held resposible for any errors you encounter, nor can I be held responsible for punishment you receive for installing an application that is listed as legal here, but has become illegal. http://i.imgur.com/LBAafhF.png --- **Third Party Applications** The general rule of thumb is that third-party applications that give you an advantage or tamper with the game files are not allowed – one should strive for balanced and fair matches! **_Do note that features of applications are often changed with updates and new iterations, so one that is in full compliance with Riot’s Terms of Use (TOU) today might be illegal tomorrow!_** If you swear to legal third-party applications, you should definitely read the patch notes of the respective software whenever there is a change. **Here is Riot Cluvie’s post about third party applications (only changed the layout and grammar):** --- Hey there, Riot Cluvie here for the Risk team. We’d like to provide some insight into how we work with the Dev Relations team to determine which apps are and aren’t allowed. **Quick preface:** third party applications are sometimes difficult to classify, and we know that can make it hard at times to find consistency in what we do and don’t allow. We’ve tried to stay flexible in our decision making to keep up with the community’s innovation, but the lack of clear policy surrounding the use of unapproved apps just generates confusion. So with that in mind, we’d like to set fair expectations by calling out some features that definitely aren’t okay. To reiterate our stance on 3rd party applications from about a year ago: “No software should interfere directly with the in-game player experience between when you press ‘Play’ and the end of game screen.” It’s been said before, but we absolutely don’t like applications that provide measurable player advantage. If there were ever any modification that were to become so standard as to be required for competitive play, the integrity of our environment just wouldn’t be viable. You shouldn’t ever have to go digging for add-ons just to stay competitive. Some examples of measurable player advantage include: • Exposing information that’s intentionally obfuscated (cooldowns or timers) • Taking actions on your behalf (botting or scripting) • Drawing conclusions for you (predicting enemy positions) • Otherwise altering your field of intelligence (zoomhacks or global ult alerts) For now, custom models and artwork sit firmly in a “use-at-your-own-risk” category, but we’re keeping an eye on them. We can’t optimize for assets we don’t develop, and if they do become a concern in the future (ie. they provide measurable player advantage), we’ll take action based on the stance we just discussed. Grey areas aside, there are definitely applications which are blatantly not okay, and while the number of players in this space are very low (think a fraction of a percentage), we remain vigilant and have been handing out punishments to those who show patterns of consistent abuse. Suspensions will ramp up in duration across multiple offenses and will be accompanied by ranked reward removal where applicable. Hopefully this post hasn’t come across as too doom-and-gloom! The third party ecosystem is full of devs making awesome applications that don’t run afoul of any restrictions. Our goal today is just to ensure we’re being clear on our end to provide them with peace of mind as they continue to innovate. **Original post can be found** [[HERE]](http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/miscellaneous/5kx4F7VE-reminder-third-party-applications) --- **Clarification for _“interfere directly with the in-game player experience”_** An application that gives you additional information not visible in the game, that directly affects decision making and the way you play, is illegal. The usual suspects are timers, enemy movement, incoming abilities etc. Information that could otherwise be found on sites like LoL King or LoL Nexus does not count, like _Masteries_, _Runes_, and equipped _Summoner Spells_. Where this might be unclear for some players is when information is given through an overlay. Overlays that do not give you game information are fine, like voice chat and message overlays. --- **Legal Third Party Applications** **Reminder:** this is for the _current versions_, and could change, like stated earlier. --- **Curse Voice** Curse Voice is a voice chat application that lets you talk and chat with other players. It also offers a handy quick-link to LoLNexus for valuable information like Ranks, Masteries, Runes, Summoner Spells and match stats. The first iteration was illegal as it had jungle-, dragon-, and Baron timers, but has since followed the TOU closely and become legal: **_”It's perfectly acceptable to use curse voice. Our only concern was with the application reading certain information directly form the game client, and more importantly from how it was automatically placing strangers into a voice chat together during champion select. Both of those concerns were corrected when we discussed it with Curse last summer, and since that time players have been free to use the application.”_** – Riot Sargonas **Original post can be found** [[HERE]](http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/GD/ao7rYcrT-riot-i-hope-youre-not-okay-with-this?show=flat&comment=0012) --- **LoLwiz** LoLwiz offers a unique overlay that does not take you out of the game and into a web browser, but instead offers everything in one organized place. It follows the TOU and has been officially deemed legal by Riot: **_“TL;DR - It's not directly affecting the client, as it is a component of Overwolf and not a game-mod, so you won't be banned.”_** – Riot Sargonas **Original post can be found** [[HERE]](http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/GD/ao7rYcrT-riot-i-hope-youre-not-okay-with-this?show=flat&comment=0012) --- **LSI - League Summoner Information** A really meaty third party application with a lot of features, such as: summoner stats, death recaps, replays and game database, champion filters, auot-crated item sets, client modifications and even a stream manager. **It is currently legal (but _not recommended_, as it causes a lot of problems):** **_"We understand this kind of modification exists. If it doesn't provide any competitive advantage, it's something we will not discipline over."_** -- Demorphic **Original post can be found** [[HERE]](http://forums.euw.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1457543) **From a support mail:** **_I have heard that LSI causes a lot of problems with the client, so I would try to steer away from it."_** - The Unicorn (Riot Player Support). As this is from Riot support, "I have heard" most likely refers to information from real data at Riot. --- **Razer Comms** It basically offers most of the chat features of Curse, while at the same time offering some of the features of LoLwiz, but has some unique features. Razer Comms does not directly affect the client, and should therefore also be legal. There are currently no official Riot statements about this specific software, but as it follows the guidelines, it should be safe. --- **Wooxy** Wooxy lets you install and use custom skins for champions and for maps. It is currently legal to use, which has been verified by MirageofPenguins: **_[...]"I appreciate the thoroughly documented screencaps, but we don't currently suspend for the use of Wooxy or other skin installers (if that's their only functionality)"[...]_** **Original post can be found** [[HERE]](http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/player-behavior-moderation/7JBfAA5o-perma-suspended-for-use-of-custom-skins?show=flat&page=2) --- **Illegal Third Party Applications** **MK Jogo** This application lets you use custom skins and has jungle timers etc. It also tampers with files. It has already led to several bans, even permanent ones, if the forum posts are true. {{summoner:4}} **AVOID IT AS THOUGH IT WERE A TEEMO MUSHROOM!** {{summoner:4}} Riot has also warned players about this application: **_“The application in question is not yet in compliance with Riot Games' Terms of Use, and using that application may result in a warning or suspension. An announcement will likely be made if/when that application comes into compliance, but for the meantime, I would avoid using it.”_** - Wuks **Original post can be found** [[HERE]](http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/help-support/WNycEdlf-mk-jogo) --- **I have been punished/ banned for use of an illegal application! What do I do?!?** {{sticker:zombie-brand-mindblown}} **Submit a request to Riot Support** [[HERE]](https://support.riotgames.com/hc/en-us) * Be as detailed as possible in your request about which third party applications you have installed * Include print screens of your game folder to display it * If you have modified certain files, which can be a bannable offense, include pictures of what you have modified * Wait for a reply * If the reply is not satisfactory, reply to the message and continue the discussion with Riot Support - Hope for a satisfying conclusion - Do not spam support with messages, and **_do not make a post on the boards_** unless you are 100% certain that you are not to blame, and you have not come to a satisfying conclusion by submitting a request
Report as:
Offensive Spam Harassment Incorrect Board
Cancel