Rivens Lore

Hey guys, I have been rather outspoken recently about my dislike of the changes to riven. In all honesty some of what I said should not have been said so early and was spoken without proper thought and consideration. With that said I still have a few concerns. This will be a rather lengthy post so please be patient with me. I will include a tldr altho it will should not be taken at face value as the reasoning for all of my conclusions will be in the body of the post. I will attempt to structure and word it the best I know how to be clear, and concise with my feedback. I wont post the actual lore but a link is posted below. I don't want to waste space with anything I don't have to post. I will however quote things which I feel are important for my points which I will bring up later. 1. I wasnt sure where to start, so I figured every good complaint should start with the good feedback. (even though my earlier posts would likely suggest I have none, that is actually the farthest from the truth.) So we will start from the beginning. The lore https://universe.leagueoflegends.com/en_US/story/champion/riven This is objectively amazing in almost the entirety. I love it. It gives you a far better understanding of riven as a younger woman, as well and allowing you to connect with her more easily. This (for the most part) in a huge upgrade from the prior lore. And it conveys a lot of the same information in a much better manor. I would argue that objectively this is far far superior to Rivens old lore. Thank you for this. 2. https://universe.leagueoflegends.com/en_US/story/confessions-of-a-broken-blade-act-1-story/ https://universe.leagueoflegends.com/en_US/story/confessions-of-a-broken-blade-act-2-story/ https://universe.leagueoflegends.com/en_US/story/confessions-of-a-broken-blade-act-3-story/ This was also amazing. I again feel like I can use the word objectively here. It was extremely well written to the best of my understanding and .... the feels man. It hit me both times through. (I did reread it to ensure I wanted to make this post.) I loved how Riven was portrayed. (mostly) but the issues I had here were almost entirely null and void. 3. I want to reiterate that the writer here was amazing. And nearly nailed Riven to a tee. And for that I must give mad props. Now please understand that within this post I want to convey the deepest respect and also convey my opinion as best I can. But I want this to be as positive as I can make it, even tho I am going to be asking for some explanations where I feel like the lore/story fell short. Now to the more painful part. My issues that I have, To understand why I have an issue here I will post both the old lore and the old judgment. I will also go on a bit of a rant on Rivens current VO and why I feel that all of these are important for understanding my issues with the current lore/color story. so without further adieu lets get going. 1. the old lore. http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Riven/History this is the link to the prior lore for riven. I want to draw attention to only 1 paragraph, I will quote both it and the replacement from the new lore here. >Counted dead by Noxus, she saw an opportunity to start anew. She shattered her sword, severing ties with the past, and wandered in self-imposed exile - on a quest to seek atonement and a way to save the pure Noxian vision in which she believed. and the replacement. >Stripped of the faith and conviction that had bolstered her entire life, Riven now wanders Ionia’s battle scarred landscape in self-imposed exile, seeking atonement from those who cannot forgive: the land, the dead, and herself. Why I feel like this is important is purely because of how it effects Rivens character. This drastically changes the motivation and the viewpoint in which she faces the world. In the first its assumed that she was broken. Objectively she chose to allow herself to be 'dead' in the eyes of noxus because she realizes that she must start anew. Now a bit beyond is left up to the imagination. Riven, while broken, was as WAAAARGHbobo stated in another thread >Riven still represents the best of what Noxus is and could be. Currently she is being tempered and reforged by Ionia This was all in the original lore. And this statement and understanding is what sets the tone for everything we understand about Riven. Her judgment can be found on the same page as the old lore but here are a few quotes which I feel are important for who riven is. >Only the strong survive, she repeated... but that was meaningless here. Nobody would survive. By all rights, the Ionians should have won this fight, but they too would die. How did this follow the Noxian way? As she fled the cursed valley, explosions rocked the ground around her. Soldiers on both sides were subjected to horrific, unspeakable deaths. Something changed in her then. The conviction with which she charged boldly to war had evaporated, and without it she was... lost. >"I don't know!" Riven spat. She was stung by the invasion of her mind. She'd lived with this memory for years, but it was something she wouldn't, 'couldn't' share. She took a deep breath, "I fought for something once, but it was a lie." Spoken in her own voice, the words hurt to hear. "I still love Noxus, I never stopped. But now... I want to fight on my own terms." This is where we understood how she felt being betrayed by the country she loved. That she believed in. The lore didnt tell us the whole story but we understand here just how much the betrayal hurt her. But within the lore we also understand that she STILL believes in the pure noxus vision. She wants to save it. I believe that Rivens guilt comes from not understanding, not piecing together the evidence which was available to her. And helping to further what she would consider to be blasphemy. Cowardice under the guise of strength. To get to the point and avoid rambling, The changes from the original lore to the new lore have left out an important part of Rivens character. And that is her love of noxus. Or more aptly put, the love of what noxus stands for. This is for her the same as Christianity to a Christian, Islam to a Muslim, Judaism to a Jew. In fact, the old lore was the most beautiful in this aspect, as when betrayed by people who professed to believe what she did she accepted that it was a lie. She maintained her belief, and I would argue that the struggle to do so took a lot of strength. And in holding on to her Noxus values she, in a way, validated them. She embodies Noxus values in a way that no other champion in league of legends does. I, for one, feel like this is extremely important to her character as its one of the several 'redemption' story arcs in rivens old lore which made her story so impactful to me personally. She, by being true to Noxus, when everyone would argue she should not have been, in a way, redeemed Noxus values. It validated them and proved that she was right in some aspect. Her entire basis, from the ground up, is based on redemption arcs. Restoring what was lost. Fixing what is broken. It counts for her personally, We see part of it here, The last part of her judgment. >How does it feel, exposing your mind?" >Riven let the question turn in her mind. So many times she wanted to confide in someone, to let someone else shoulder the burden. But telling the story - even watching it through her own eyes - didn't ease the pain. It was hers alone, and some things could never be shared. >"Exposed or not, it changes nothing." >Then the girl was gone, and she was alone in the Institute. Her broken sword glowed dimly at her side. The illusion was invasive, but she'd almost forgotten the former heft of her sword. As if in response, a faint green outline played out from the shard, tracing the blade's former curve. She felt a sudden wash of reassurance. Perhaps she wasn't so lost after all. We see her as she enters the league of old finally start her own redemption. This is evidenced in her skin line. Crimson elite riven - when she was still a part of noxus Riven default - Her as an exile, Scarred and covered in bandages to heal from the battle. only remnents of noxus are left in her armor. Redeemed Riven - Here she has adopted a new symbol on her armor and in her splash she stands with confidence. Almost defiant. This is also evidenced in her VO. Her standard VO lines are full of hope. But also there is an eerie difference, and I believe very intentional, in the differences between her lines when she has the broken sword and when she ults and it becomes full. With no ult up >"So long I've wandered... " "How should I proceed?" "My spirit is not lost." "Burdens of the past." "What conflict awaits?" "Choose your own path." "My hands are stained." "Learn from your mistakes." "A sword mirrors its owner." With ult up > "I know my purpose." "A moment of clarity." "Leave doubt behind." "No more hesitation." "No looking back." There is pain and hope and grim determination with no ult. But when she ults, her lines change from pain, hope, determination, to Purpose, Drive, Ambition. This is her redemption which is played out in game. (I would like to take a moment and point out that the redemption arc is very well done in her color story.) This leads me really to the crux of my issues here. In the color story it was stated that Riven hates noxus. And I would like to contend that she simply cannot in order for her character to make sense. In her cover story, and new lore, Riven has no purpose. She has no conviction. She simply wants to die. In fact considering what we know, I would argue that if she really rejected Noxus and hated them as its explicitly stated she would simply kill herself. The guilt would have crushed her. But even if she did not. She would never have kept the sword. And this really is where my problems come to rest. Riven in the new lore never, under any reason, keeps the sword. >For Riven, memories of the time that followed come only in fragments, and nightmares. She bound her wounds. She mourned the dead. But, most of all, she came to hate the sword that saved her life. The words carved into its surface mocked her, reminding her of all she had lost. She would find a way to break it, severing her last tie to Noxus, before the dawn. But when the blade was finally shattered, still she found no peace. From her new lore She hates the sword. But she has no reason to keep it. This alone would suggest that she would get rid of it. (in fact it makes no sense that she would destroy it in the first place, outside of anger or defiance.) She hates noxus, who gave her the sword. She was betrayed, her family and ultimately her were all but killed by them. Trying to destroy the sword just killed more people, innocent people. The towns people hate the sword. They see it as evil and it brought so much pain to them. Why would Riven, having just met these new people who she would learn to love presumably, keeps such a source or pain to them? She doesn't even want it. There is no provision under the new lore where she keeps the sword which isnt a cheep cop out. A made up reason which would never hold weight in a actual persons decisions. Contrast that with her prior lore. She was forced to keep in then. This paragraph is IMHO the most important one in all of her lore. >Counted dead by Noxus, she saw an opportunity to start anew. She shattered her sword, severing ties with the past, and wandered in self-imposed exile - on a quest to seek atonement and a way to save the pure Noxian vision in which she believed. It tied everything together in a way that was both beautiful and compelling. See riven destroyed the sword to sever her ties with Noxus. She was angry, hurt, betrayed, and had nearly been killed due to selfish and warped understanding of her religion. What she believed her whole life. And through that struggle which followed she decided that the belief was not wrong. But the people who acted were wrong. And so the sword then represented the vision she had of Noxus. It was a reminder of what happened when you become selfish, arrogant and you slip away from your core beliefs. She needed that sword to remind her of the price that you pay. It was represented perfectly. It made sense. Now it simply doesnt. So I ask riot. please can we have this paragraph back in her lore? >Counted dead by Noxus, she saw an opportunity to start anew. She shattered her sword, severing ties with the past, and wandered in self-imposed exile - on a quest to seek atonement and a way to save the pure Noxian vision in which she believed. It makes sense that she hates noxus for a time. It makes sense that she struggles. I can accept the color story, But she has to still love Noxus and its purest values in order for her character to make sense. tldr, bring back the last paragraph of her lore as her motivations and choices don't make sense without it. I also hope I was fairly coherent. I kinda threw this together over the last few hours. I am gonna simply post it as is because I don't know if I can be any clearer or structure it in a more coherent manor.
Report as:
Offensive Spam Harassment Incorrect Board
Cancel