Hi Riot, I'd like to have an honest, earnest, and open conversation about gay characters.

Hey! I saw the post about the rainbow poro icon and I wanted to thank you and say how much I(and i'm sure many others) appreciate the gesture. As a lesbian it means a lot to see a game developer that's been part of my life for 8 years now doing things like this! ...In the end, though, the rainbow poro icon is just a small gesture. It's not an empty gesture by any means, and I'm not here to accuse you of homophobia or anything like that. It's pretty clear that Riot tries hard to be an inclusive company. You just donated a whole bunch of money to lgbt charities. I'm dating a Rioter so I know how great you guys are about having a safe and inclusive workplace. Your values come through loud and clear. My question to you is: **how is this philosophy reflected in the work that you produce?** So far we have Varus, who is two half-dead boyfriends trapped in a body controlled by a demon, and some extremely, extremely minor characters in stories that don’t have any impact on the game itself. Better than nothing, I guess? But is “better than nothing” the best we can do? There’s a few other scraps here and there, like Star Guardian Jinx’s obvious jealousy about Lux giving Ezreal any attention in the SG story. There’s also some stuff about Leona and Diana, [like the tweet when gay marriage was finally legalized in the United States](https://twitter.com/leagueoflegends/status/614549024700538881?lang=en), and [the pool party post with Leona swooning over a woman](https://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/news/champions-skins/skin-release/and-pool-party-pentathlon-winners-are). Are they just going to be bread crumbs, none of which are presumably “canon”, with no satisfying payoff? There’s an opportunity here, especially with the way Leona and Diana’s story was never resolved after the Mt. Targon update, and left hanging with Leona urgently needing to tell Diana some big discovery. I want to know what your plans for the future are when it comes to gay characters. I’m not asking you to tell me the details of what you’re working on, if anything. I simply want to know that you have plans beyond the occasional joke or plausibly-deniable fragment. I want to be able to see the values that you clearly believe in reflected in the game you make. I want to believe that you are capable of writing gay characters without killing them or making them jokes or background characters, characters whose stories pay off in some way. I don’t feel like this is out of reach for you, and if it is, I would like to understand why. What place do gay characters have in the story of League? Do you feel like you need a "special reason" to make a character gay? Writing romance in general doesn't seem to be a problem, with Valmar and Kai, or Xayah and Rakan, or that Darius comic where he's drawn fully nude and having sex with a woman. I would love to know more about the process that goes into creating a character’s story, and how that would look when writing a gay character. Thank you for taking the time to read this! This is something that’s been on my mind for a long time now, and I saw this as a good opportunity to ask about it and maybe get a response. If you're in this thread to complain about how you're totally not a homophobe but you don't want to see gay characters or whatever please find something better to do with your time. Obviously Varus didn't stop you from playing League. There's plenty of space for a discussion like this as well.
Report as:
Offensive Spam Harassment Incorrect Board
Cancel