Jinx and Vi's Family Ties: "Facts, Myths and Theories"

**For more discussions like this, check out the ["Facts, Myths and Theories" main post!](http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/story-art/mbW28tHJ-facts-myths-and-theories-main-post)** **You can also follow me on Twitter: [@dialMARK4acti0n](https://twitter.com/dialMARK4acti0n)** Welcome summoners to yet another lore discussion, brought to you by me and... well I don't have any sponsors... YET!! You'll see... I'll be on posters all over Super Bowl and US Open in 10 years. Now, let's get serious for a second. Last week's poll had a few issues and bugs and that is why it had so little options last week, so I'm sorry about that. This week the poll will be back in action... I hope... I'll only know when I post this of course. x) I have a bad taste in my mouth after last week's discussion not coming out that great (I'll talk about Jax again someday I promise!), so what are we waiting for?!! There's lore to be discussed here! But before we start, let's just explain what "Facts, Myths and Theories" is to anyone that just now discovered this series exists. **This is a series where I talk about a Lore-related topic every week. I grab what we know, what we don't know and mesh these together to form - you guessed it - theories, to try and crack the lore wide open.** So, let's get going with this week's topic already! That's what we're all here for! --- # **This Week's Topic:** Jinx and Vi's Family Ties http://i.imgur.com/0Eh9Lo3.jpg And before you ask... Yeah, the rhyme was on purpose. It's what I do... Now, **Jinx and Vi are two crazy ladies!** Seriously... One's a cop who just wants to punch stuff and the others a criminal who just wants to blow up stuff. They do make quite the pair, don't they? Yes, they do. That is just one of the reasons that makes people believe they might be sisters. Of course, this isn't a very good reason to think that. But, don't worry... this is called "**Facts**, Myths and Theories" for a reason. The fact is, that ever since the Howling Abyss was released, people started to patiently wait for Vi's sister being released. "Why?", I hear you ask. Well. It's pretty simple actually. Do you guys know **Lyte**? You know. Lyte, the Hermit...! Ezreal's uncle!! **The elderly inventor, that has a pet robot named Geeves, who travelled to the Freljord to investigate about the Watchers and the Iceborn?!** Anyone? ...the purple side shopkeeper from Howling Abyss... Man, please tell me somebody knew who he was! Anyway, Lyte's from Piltover and, naturally, he has quite a few special lines for most of the Piltover champions that visit his store, during a heated match of ARAM. Vi, of course, also has special interactions made for her. And one of them is what sparkled the community's uproar that Vi's sister would soon be joining the League of Legends. I quote (boy, I love these): # *"You look like your sister! Er, wait, I'm not supposed to talk about that..."* So yeah! If you didn't squeal like a 9 year-old girl when you heard this my friend, you have a heart of ice. Get it? 'Cause the Howling Aby... yeah, not funny... Couldn't resist. Clearly, Riot put that in there to tease us... and it worked. But, **when Jinx was being teased by Riot, A LOT of us (by which I mean everyone) just assumed she'd be Vi's sister.** It had been a few months after we were teased by Lyte, everyone's favorite hermit, so it fit. But... the question still remains to this day. **Are they sisters or what?** I have some theories... but first, buckle up my friend, because we're about to go over some facts! --- # **The Facts** http://i.imgur.com/S6x0lJl.png So, we already know for sure that Vi has a sister and that she may be older, due to Lyte saying Vi looked like her, which is something you usually say to the youngest siblings (trust me, I'm the youngest in my family). However, **we also know that Lyte says that he isn't 'supposed to talk about that'...** what could that mean? Did Vi's sister pass away? Does Vi not know she has a sister? Maybe Vi dislikes her sister and doesn't like to talk about her? Lyte knows more than he seems to share with us... But what about Jinx? What proof is there that she even has a sister? Well, it's actually something she says herself in-game: # *"You think I'm crazy? You should see my sister!"* So, that's a wrap folks! Both of them have a sister. That's a fact! But, surely, we can cement this statement by showing some other conclusive proof that helps us make sure that they both have a sister. Well, Jinx at least... You see, back when Jinx was teased with the graffiti on Vi's page a while back, **Vi wasn't the only one to have her profile page vandalized.** In fact, in the Brazilian servers, Lucian's page was the one that was vandalized. Not much was said here, but she did sign the graffiti with "X esteve aqui" which means "X was here" in Portuguese, just like in Vi's page. But, her teaser in the LA server had much more dialogue from her than Vi's vandalized lore even. In it, she interrupts a story Gentleman Cho'Gath was telling about tea and boring stuff like that and starts saying random stuff. Roughly translating it from Spanish, one of the thing she says is this: # *"YoU Take ouT youR MiSSiLe L4uNcheR and BOOM! YoU hAve the Best "LauNch" partY Ever xD. NoT liKe my SisteR's LaUncH PartY wHich... By tHe wAy... HavE You SeeN Her h4iR? As BoRinG as thE fAce of the HaTlaDy."* Well, now we know a little more about Jinx's sister now don't we? From the first quote, we can deduce that **Jinx thinks her sister's crazier than herself, or looks crazier, in the very least.** And from the second quote, we know that **her sister had a 'LauNch' party, as she puts it, and that she thinks her 'h4iR' is 'BoRinG'.** Interesting stuff... **In the case of Vi's sister, we're not entirely sure she even knows she has one.** She never mentions a sister in the lore or her VO and Lyte is the one that mentions her in the first place, following with a remark of how he 'isn't supposed to talk about that...'. Well, from this we could already jump into the Myths... But, before we get to the Myths and the Theories, there's something we need to talk about first. **Vi and Jinx's stories.** --- **"I let my hands do the talking."** http://i.imgur.com/WprVYSr.jpg Whooaah Vi. Let's write this discussion with our fingers and my **brand new** keyboard, ok? Yikes... First, let's go over Vi's lore. Vi was a street orphan in her youth. She had to survive with what she had and she had to learn how to find her way on the outskirts of Piltover. To do this, she learned how to rob and cheat, something that was a must in the lawless streets of Piltover. **She taught herself self-reliance during her time in the streets and stealing and tearing apart hextech hardware made her a skillful mechanic.** Then, when she was only six years old, this happened: # *"A ragtag group of criminals took a shine to the young delinquent and brought her into their fold. By the time Vi was eleven, she had become a seasoned accomplice, and she relished the thrill of every heist."* So, **Vi joined this criminal organization at a very young age** and she started to 'relish the thrill of every heist'. But then, Vi had a change of heart one day. On a raid to a mining facility, the mission went south and some innocent mine workers were trapped in a collapsed tunnel. Opting to 'play the hero', Vi decided to stay and help the mine workers, while her crew ran away. Improvising, **she grabbed a robotic mining rig, tore apart its arms and made a pair of makeshift hextech gauntlets.** Using the gauntlets, she blasted away the rock that had the workers trapped and when they were freed, she fled the scene. Her lore proceeds to tell us that: # *"After that job gone wrong, Vi severed her connection to the crew. She returned to a life of solitary crime, but stole only from other criminals."* So, at the age of eleven, Vi started working alone again and, as the years went by, continued to use her gauntlets in her crimes and upgrade them. When Caitlyn got her hands on Vi's case, instead of seeking Vi's arrest, she offered her a job as a cop, in order for her to redeem herself from her life of crime. Vi naturally accepted, since she finally had an excuse to punch people without the cops bugging her. Together, they are now known as **Piltover's finest and the greatest at what they do.** So, before joining up with "CupCait" as a law enforcer, she was a criminal from a very young age and joined a gang for five years, in her youth. She was, supposedly, an orphan, but she is of Piltovian origin. **There is no mention of her parents or a sister.** Now, let's take a look at Jinx's story. --- **"You're starting to bore me."** http://i.imgur.com/sRumWJH.jpg Don't worry Jinx, 'cause we're gonna talk about you now, and there's nothing boring about you! **Everybody** knows that! Now, **Jinx's lore doesn't give us much about her backstory**, unlike Vi's. The lore does tell us that before Jinx came to Piltover, Piltover was pretty peaceful. But that all changed when Jinx came to Piltover. In Vi's own words: # *"They call this place the City of Progress - or they did until she showed up."* This quote was taken from Jinx's teaser. And in Jinx's teaser, Vi goes onto mention that **no one knows who Jinx is or where she comes from. Jinx isn't even her real name apparently.** This is backed up by this section of Jinx's lore: # *"Though the young woman's origins were a mystery, some saw traces of Piltover hextech in her firearms, while others described the street fashions of Zaun in her dress. Because her arrival always brought trouble with it, those who crossed her path soon gave her a name: Jinx.*" This also mentions that she had traces of both Piltovian and Zaun culture. Looking at her profile page, we can see that **Jinx apparently originates from Zaun, or in the very least, is affiliated with Zaun.** According to the lore, she came to Piltover, because it was the place she found 'the dullest', thusly, a perfect place for her to wreak havoc. Her motivations are also unclear. Nobody knows why she does the things she does. Vi acknowledges this: # *"The worst part is: none of it makes any sense. Ask her why she's doing it, and she'll give you a million different reasons. But the only one that matters is: She's having fun."* Another interesting thing about Jinx is that **she takes a very special interest in Vi.** Sure, she likes to mess with both "fat hands", as well as "hat lady", but she has a very nemesis-type relationship with Vi. Sure, ever since Jinx challenged Vi and told her that 'she would never catch her', Vi has considered Jinx her nemesis as well. But, even before they met each other face-to-face for the first time, Jinx called Vi out to try and catch her, specifically. Very interesting... But, what can we learn about their potential family ties from this? Well... --- # **The Myths** http://i.imgur.com/FJ4sX35.jpg Now, let's go over the most popular myths revolving around Jinx and Vi. If you're new, the Myths section is meant to explore **things that have been hinted at and aren't totally out here, although not official.** Now, let's go over some of the myths. --- **"Let's get to the fun part!"** http://i.imgur.com/Z8YdTtz.jpg Indeed, Vi! The myths and theories are the fun part of these discussions! The first of the myths is, of course, the myth that **Jinx and Vi are sisters.** Heck! Most people that don't pay that much attention to lore think that **they are** sisters. Are they totally wrong? Well... actually, not exactly. We have proven that both Jinx and Vi have sisters. Vi, apparently, doesn't even know her sister exists, or doesn't acknowledge it, according to what Lyte says when Vi visits his store. While Jinx is very well aware of the existence of her sister, going as far as saying that she is crazier than herself and that her hair is boring. Does this description of Jinx's sister fit with Vi? Well, yes! Vi is kind of crazy, due to her unhealthy love of punching people right in the pie hole. And her hair can be boring from Jinx's perspective I guess... (personally I think it's super cool). But, the description fits her very vaguely, although, if you remember the "LauNch partY" bit, in Jinx's LA site teaser, she does say her sister's launch party was boring, unlike her own. If you remember, Vi wasn't teased at all and was released to the PBE the second she was revealed... yeah, it was kind of boring. Jinx however had a lot of different teasers and her own music freakin' video!! Yeah, I guess that bit fits Jinx and Vi perfectly! But, the physical descriptions are **vaguely** accurate to Vi. Another thing is that Lyte says that Vi looks like her sister... and Vi looks **nothing** like Jinx! Jinx has different eye and hair colors, has pale skin and has no shared distinctive features with Vi. But, the question still remains... **are they sisters or not?** Let's go over this one other myth and then we'll try to answer that question. --- **"Vi... stands for violence!"** http://i.imgur.com/2bo9ods.jpg Humm... You're joking. ...right? 'Cause... Violence. That's a weird name. Just sayin'! The other myth that has been floating around is that Vi isn't Vi's name, but it's actually a codename attributed to her. **"VI" being the roman numeral for "6".** This is a very natural assumption 'cause seriously... who names their kid "Vi". Even in a world with a guy whose first name is Warwick! Also, Vi has stated that her name stands for violence, vice and vicious. Obviously, she is joking slash taunting. But, these shows she has thought about what the name actually stands for, so **it's likely she got the name from someone else, besides her parents.** This makes sense, since she was a street urchin. Word is that she got the codename "VI" from her gang, that uses a roman numerical system to assign codenames to its members. However, Jinx may also have a similar codename assigned to her. Remember, "Jinx" is a name assigned to her and is not her real name (although she uses it as if it were her real name). But, remember how she signed her graffiti on Vi's vandalized profile page, as well as Lucian's vandalized BR server profile page. **"X wuz here". So, she also goes by "X"**, which also happens to be the roman numeral for "10". Interesting... The myth is that Vi and Jinx, or in this case, VI and X, were part of the same gang when they were younger. This makes sense. But, does it go deeper than that...? --- # **The Theories** http://i.imgur.com/kG2CLz0.jpg Oh boy! This is the part you love the most... AND I'M NERVOUS!! But don't worry... I feel like this week will be better than last week's Jax discussion. This week we have some pretty neat theories... and others that you may have never even thought about! So, let's get to it. So, up until this point we have some really cool theories that are already mostly in the Myths section, this time around. Vi and Jinx being sisters is a no-brainer. I don't think it can even be called a theory at this point. Nah... OF COURSE IT CAN! That's why we're going to talk a little more about it. So, we already discussed the fact that both Jinx and Vi have sisters. Positively, absolutely confirmed(tm). Now, what links them together? Well, their being both from Piltover, or around, and Vi's mysterious past. **We don't know much about Vi's early life before joining that gang. We don't know about her parents or her sister.** I think it's safe to assume that she never met them, since she never mentions them. Maybe, she did get to meet her sister though. It's possible though, she did something to upset Vi, possibly abandon her, which made Vi hate her, most likely, older sister, due to her leaving her alone. Also, adding to this, is this Riot statement from [**Jinx's Q&A**](http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/1no2gi/we_are_the_jinx_team_ama/): # *"Jinx is approximately - to use a reference you guys all know - Vi’s age. Maybe a little bit older.*" Of course this is up to interpretation. But, maybe that's why Lyte says 'he isn't supposed to talk about' Vi's sister. **Vi just doesn't want to hear it! Or maybe Lyte doesn't want to tell her she does have a sister.** Anyway, having abandoned Vi, either if Vi met her or not, her sister went to Zaun... and something happened to her. Maybe, she was experimented on, causing her to become insane. She would then return to Piltover, maybe due to a fragment of her life before going crazy making her come back. So, **it's possible that Jinx is Vi's sister and she doesn't know it... Maybe, both don't know it. Zaun is a place that would mess anyone up!** --- **"Wait, I'm thinking! Urgh... how do people do this?"** http://i.imgur.com/txNitB9.jpg Don't worry Jinx... I'll think **FOR YOU!** Another theory actually makes a lot of sense. So, remember the myth that "VI" and "X", stand for 6 and 10, respectively? That this would make Jinx and Vi having been a part of the same gang at some point? Yeah, well, you know who else goes by a roman numeral? **"C".** We know that Vi and Jinx are recent nemesis, but Caitlyn and C have history man... She has been on C's tail for years and all over Valoran. # *"The bandit, who always left a card with an ornate 'C' at the scene of the crime, became Caitlyn's arch-nemesis."* "C" is the roman numeral for "100", of course. Is it possible C is the head, or at least, part of the gang that Vi and Jinx were a part of? It's very possible that at some point she was part of the gang, since we don't know where C hails from. He, or she, may be Piltovian. **It's likely C isn't a part of said gang anymore due to the way she commits crimes.** In Caitlyn's lore, C is described as a cat burglar that commits high-profile heists and leaves a calling card on every crime scene. This is an MO for a criminal that goes solo, rather than a gang member. But, **C could be the codename that she operated as, during her time in the gang.** Cool. But what does that have to do with Vi and Jinx? Well, **maybe the gang is a sort of sisterhood.** We know VI and X are both girls, maybe C is a girl as well. They may act like sisters as part of the gang's code of conduct. They may have all operated in the gang at very different times, but they'd still be morally obliged to call each other "sisters". They have kept their alias in some way or another. VI is Vi's name and she has tattooed the number "VI" on her cheek. Jinx signs her graffiti as "X". And C leaves the calling card with "C" in every of her crime scenes. Maybe, the sister Lyte refers is a gang member that looks like Vi... her mentor perhaps? Maybe, the sister Jinx talks about is C or some other? In [**Vi's Q&A**](http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=35366916), **gipsylord** (Vi's lead designer) does mention this: # *"She had that 6 on her cheek from day 1. Was up to creative to find a meaning for it. It's got a story, I just can't tell you ;3"* This confirms that the "VI" tatoo on her cheek does indeed stand for "6" and not for Vi's name. And it also confirms it has a story. It probably isn't "she thought the tattoo would look cool." So, this does back up this "gang member codename" theory. So, basically, **this theory suggests Jinx and Vi are not actually sisters, but that they are part of a sisterhood, their gang.** Of course, the fact that Lyte refers to Vi's sister as an actual sister in the first place, and that both he and Jinx refer to a specific sister, are valid reasons to debunk this theory. But, the next theory is more plausible and has no contradictory factors... --- **"Here comes the punchline!"** http://i.imgur.com/N6J17nI.jpg Indeed Vi, 'cause this theory is the theory that has my thumbs up... **and my thumbs down...?** Hold on to your hats, 'cause I'm just going to come out and say it... My theory is that **NO! They are not sisters!** Now, surely you're shocked, because like you, I love the idea of Vi and Jinx being sisters, all the while not knowing they are sisters, or at least one of them not knowing. I like this theory a lot. But, **every bit of evidence kind of points in the opposite direction.** Sure, they were released in a context that makes their sisterhood plausible. Yes, they both have sisters. But, it seems weird to me that Vi wouldn't know her sister, even if she had not met her in a age where she would remember her. Maybe, Jinx abandoned or got separated from Vi at a very, very, very early age and Zaun's experiments on Jinx changed her appearance to a place where she does not resemble Vi and that would make her irrecognizable. But, Jinx does mention her own sister a lot. And Lyte does say that they look a lot alike, which Jinx and Vi don't. **I think, Jinx and Vi are indeed related in some way, just not as sisters, in any shape or form.** Maybe, they met each other the way described in Jinx's lore... or maybe they met when they were younger. Maybe, they were street urchins together. Maybe, they met as gang members. **Maybe, they met under circumstances that would make them not remember each other when each of them grew up.** But, that's the only way I see each of them being related before they met, due to their childhoods having very different contexts, although Jinx's is still shrouded in mystery. Now, Jinx does take a special interest in Vi, perhaps because she relates to her? They are both crazy to varying extents. Sure, this takes away some of the mysteries about Jinx and Vi's relationship... But, honestly, I think that Riot don't seem to be heading the sister way with the lore. **That being said, the other two theories are very cool and I love them equally. I kind of hate this last theory, but, to me, it's the one that sounds like the real deal...** But, you know what...? I may actually think that this theory is the coolest! You want to know why? 'Cause it leaves a very cool mystery to be solved... **If Vi and Jinx are not sisters, then who the hell are Vi and Jinx's sisters?** I have a few theories... But, hey! That's a discussion for another day! #**It's all just a theory though... Thanks for reading!** --- **"Any last words? Ha! No, just die."** Well, that's rude, since I do have some last words! This week's discussion was a lot of fun to make! I love Vi a whole bunch. I also love Jinx a whole bunch. It's fun discussing the mystery revolving around the nature of their relationship. The last theory was the one I leaned for of course, but reading it again I realized I like the other ones most... except the part where the last theory is the one that gives an even more interesting discussion... Anyway, please let me know what you thought of this week's discussion, share some of your own theories and vote in the poll below for the topic you want me to talk about next week! Thanks for reading!! Hope you enjoyed. ;) By the way, just one more thing, I'm thinking of changing the schedule of "Facts, Myths and Theories" from every Wednesday, to every Monday. Do you agree? Please let me know what you think! # **Last Week's Topic:** [*Who is Jax?*](http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/story-art/LfpdHeYY-who-is-jax-facts-myths-and-theories) # **Next Week's Topic:** [*League of Romances*](http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/story-art/EKrkKdMg-league-of-romances-facts-myths-and-theories) --- Voting for next week's topic is now closed! Next week's topic will be "League of Romances". But, by all means keep voting in the poll if you so desire. Thank you for voting!
Report as:
Offensive Spam Harassment Incorrect Board
Cancel