How to Deal with Trolls & "Idiot Players"

Trolls are people, human beans/beings just like the rest of us, and there is almost always a reason behind their behavior. I have frequently taken it upon myself to inquire as to 'why' they feel the need to sabotage my game, and most often the response is "because everyone does it to me". After a few moments of talking in champ select or in the early minutes of the game, I can often talk a player out of feeding just by being kind and *not immediately flaming the situation*. **Remember, always acknowledge their reason for being angry and never invalidate it. This means agreeing with them even if you are angry/upset. ** > Here is my guide to confronting and communicating with a troll. This is an actual (not quite word for word) log from a champion select chat in which I confronted a troll. > The first thing you should do when you confront a troll in game (this is if they blatantly say "I'm trolling"), is acknowledge what they said in a respectful manner. Then inquire as to why. {{champion:83}} : I'm trolling {{champion:15}} : Huh, alright. Is there a lane you would prefer? {{champion:83}} : Top I guess {{champion:15}} : Mmkay, why are you gonna feed? {{champion:83}} : Because I feel like it??? > The next thing to do is call them on it. Keep it polite, don't call them "immature" or "selfish", but get the message across. {{champion:15}} : Why do you feel like trying to ruin the experience for other people because you are having a bad day? {{champion:83}} : I'm just pissed because everyone trolls and feeds in this game and I can never win games. > Now that you have the reason as to why they are planning on feeding, simply state "welp, I have no control over your actions .-." or something along those lines. Remaining indifferent is KEY, as if you don't appear to care, they get NOTHING out of trolling. > Start being outwardly positive to those on the team who are, and are not, trolls. This is crucial, as it can create a sense of teamwork and is beneficial in ALL games, regardless if there is a troll. Make the environment DIFFERENT from a normal game where everyone is silent. Be proactive and let everyone know you still plan to win. {{champion:15}} : We can do this guys, our team comp is better than theirs. I'll drop a ward at blue for you. Anyone want to invade? Got Curse? Now keep in mind that this does not always work, but it does enough of the time and that's worth it. Always remaining positive is both good for your own morale as well as the entire team's. Set goals for yourself, even if it's not the win. For example, "I'll steal a drag this game" or "I want to catch the enemy ADC out of position at least # times.". Completing these goals, even if you lose the game, will remind you that every game is an experience that you can learn from. **Story about a troll:** > A few weeks ago I encountered an unusually harsh and vulgar troll. I couldn't dodge queue as I was in a promo series and I remained positive throughout the game. When our (troll) Lee Sin would die, I'd apologize for not getting there fast enough. When he got a kill, I'd say "nj" (nice job). Even when the entire rest of the team was verbally attacking the troll, I would remind everyone to focus on the game and remind them that our Lee Sin, despite being 2/9/3, had gotten us kills and an objective. At 35 minutes we lost the game but Lee had stopped trolling and gotten an enemy inhib. He ended up apologizing to me and the rest of the team for the loss and ten minutes later I saw he had gifted me the last Veigar skin I needed to complete the collection. http://i.imgur.com/G2DGf7f.png Trolls are people. Treat them the way you would want to be treated, even if they aren't doing the same to you. Over the internet it's really easy to become desensitized to the effects our words and actions have on others. And most importantly, *have fun!* {{champion:45}} EDIT: I wrote this below but it really summarizes what I was trying to say. TL;DR It can be incredibly difficult to get a heart-to-heart moment with a troll, elitist, or griefer in the middle of a game, but I try anyway. The thing that helps me the most is always reminding myself: I don't know what their living conditions are. I don't know if his/her partner just cheated on him/her or if they just lost a child to cancer. I don't know if their boss is sexually harassing them or if they were disowned at the age of 13 for expressing their sexuality in a way their parents didn't agree with. I don't know their story, so I cannot judge them based off how they act in an online game. I need to treat them just like I would treat anyone else regardless of the way they treat me, and be grateful for what I have. For the incredible ability to manipulate billions of electronic pulses within a computer to communicate with other beings on the other side of the planet in real time. Sometimes you can't step into someone else's shoes. Remember that.
Report as:
Offensive Spam Harassment Incorrect Board
Cancel