: the **freedom** of speech is an illusion of safety. You're only as free as your power makes you. please stop posting politics on a gaming forum. by choosing a side you're encouraging others to as well. with opposing beliefs you have 2 options live and let live or survival of the fittest. there is no "human right" other than to die. you don't even have the right to be born so how can someone have the right to speak?
> [{quoted}](name=BLACK REALM GOD,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=qNBvbIHA,comment-id=0003,timestamp=2019-10-09T20:09:39.350+0000) > > the **freedom** of speech is an illusion of safety. You're only as free as your power makes you. please stop posting politics on a gaming forum. by choosing a side you're encouraging others to as well. with opposing beliefs you have 2 options live and let live or survival of the fittest. > > there is no "human right" other than to die. you don't even have the right to be born so how can someone have the right to speak? If might makes right and there is strength in numbers then if we all protect each others freedoms then we have those freedoms. Standing alone leaves you out in the cold. If we stand up for each other we are the powerful. If we believe things like you then they are.
: > [{quoted}](name=gizmo666,realm=EUW,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=qNBvbIHA,comment-id=00020000,timestamp=2019-10-09T19:45:41.821+0000) They aren't going to """"censor"""" you because of Tencent. We haven't been allowed to talk about politics for years, and the China situation is no exception to that. You can think its Tencent all you want, and I know I won't be able to convince you otherwise, but its not because of Tencent. No one wants to lose their accounts over this crap, and I'm pretty sure everyone is sick and tired of all the anti-China shit and would rather stay as far away from it as possible. It was all fine and good at the beginning until magically everyone cared just because Blizzard did a "bad," and now everyone won't shut the fuck up. I'd really like to not see anything having to do with China for at least 5 fucking minutes, but literally everywhere I go is flooded with it. We get it. China is bad, Hong Kong is good. You spamming every site in existence with memes to show your "support" is just pissing people off and stressing people out.
> [{quoted}](name=4 Step Cadence,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=qNBvbIHA,comment-id=000200000000,timestamp=2019-10-09T19:53:35.926+0000) > > They aren't going to """"censor"""" you because of Tencent. We haven't been allowed to talk about politics for years, and the China situation is no exception to that. You can think its Tencent all you want, and I know I won't be able to convince you otherwise, but its not because of Tencent. > > No one wants to lose their accounts over this crap, and I'm pretty sure everyone is sick and tired of all the anti-China shit and would rather stay as far away from it as possible. It was all fine and good at the beginning until magically everyone cared just because Blizzard did a "bad," and now everyone won't shut the fuck up. I'd really like to not see anything having to do with China for at least 5 fucking minutes, but literally everywhere I go is flooded with it. > > We get it. China is bad, Hong Kong is good. You spamming every site in existence with memes to show your "support" is just pissing people off and stressing people out. I don't think you understand how imporant this matter is.
: Political discussions were disallowed before this latest Chinese government situation. So it's not like political topics are disallowed because of the latest news. Political topics are disallowed because it almost assuredly turns into insulting bickering (and often worse than just bickering) with absolutely no constructive purpose.
> [{quoted}](name=AeroWaffle,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=qNBvbIHA,comment-id=0001,timestamp=2019-10-09T19:39:00.124+0000) > > Political discussions were disallowed before this latest Chinese government situation. So it's not like political topics are disallowed because of the latest news. > > Political topics are disallowed because it almost assuredly turns into insulting bickering (and often worse than just bickering) with absolutely no constructive purpose. I see your point and respect it. I still think it would be good for the community to speak up about this issue. This issue is relevant to a current situation in which the Chinese government is trying to silence people. Discussion about whether trump is a dingus or not are pointless and futile. This feels different to me.
Infernape (EUW)
: >Riot should not kowtow to the Chinese government in their goals of limiting free speech whether within their borders or not. This is true but they have to because their parent company is Tencent, who own 100% of Riot's equity.
> [{quoted}](name=Infernape,realm=EUW,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=qNBvbIHA,comment-id=0000,timestamp=2019-10-09T19:36:48.652+0000) > > This is true but they have to because their parent company is Tencent, who own 100% of Riot's equity. Yeah I know they will do it. I still think they shouldn't. I still believe we should speak up about it.
: Free speech doesn't exist here. It only protects you from the **government** censoring you, not a private company like Riot censoring you. Riot has every right to censor you if they believe it is within their best interest to do so. And this community isn't mature enough for political discussion anyway, which is why we're already not allowed to talk about it. If anything, they'll likely be doubling down on political posts just to keep the boards as civil as they can possibly be.
Legally they have a right to. But we as a community who they depend on also have a right to speak out and demand they don't censor their players. I know they will, becuase they are owned by tencent. But the community can and should still resist, in my opinion.
Rioter Comments

gizmo666

Level 83 (EUW)
Lifetime Upvotes
Create a Discussion