xyzoom (NA)
: send ticket (attach that summoner name) , get rid that kid from ranked games, let him play aram or agaist AI {{sticker:sg-ahri-1}}
> [{quoted}](name=xyzoom,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=0tjlxhE5,comment-id=0006,timestamp=2017-11-03T07:41:18.152+0000) > > send ticket (attach that summoner name) , get rid that kid from ranked games, let him play aram or agaist AI > {{sticker:sg-ahri-1}} Don't make him play ARAM. We don't want that kind of person ruining our games.
: (RANKED) "I'm getting payed $10 to afk. Pay me $10 and I won't"
Isn't that like... middle-school level extortion? If it isn't, the attitude of that toxic player sure makes it feel like it is.
: ARAM is a lot less toxic than Rift
People tend to play ARAM for fun, and to get away from the elitist attitudes of SR both normals and ranked. I personally love playing ARAM because it's enjoyable, and I do so because I hate the attitude around Summoner's Rift, even on Normals. ARAM is a great place to kick back and relax, while also talking to others in a casual environment. Unfortunately, even though ARAM is much more chill than SR, there are some toxic people in ARAM. Those people tend to get snuffed out really quick though because no one likes toxic people on their teams, especially on ARAM.
Greenguh (NA)
: Holding lobbies hostage for primary role
It doesn't just extend to Ranked games. That kind of toxic mentality is common even in Normals. Personally, I'd suggest a "voting system" in the pregame lobby. If someone is being a jackass and holding the game hostage, the others can vote to dodge the game with no penalty on them. The person can only vote "Yes" a limited amount of times before they have to wait, let's say 24 hours (using the time arbitrarily), before their votes are refreshed. Will it get rid of the problem? No. Toxic players can and will find a way around it, so there's nothing that Riot can do without making the entire community go up-in-arms about how they're being oppressed, or whatever. However, I can see it being another roadblock that toxic players have to take effort to going around. The toxic player must be dedicated to their craft to make others miserable and take pleasure in doing so if they are going to spend more time trying to get around that roadblock than actually playing the game. This is a rough idea, but it's a start for discussion. Personally, I hate that players who aren't toxic are punished in a lose-lose situation while the toxic player has no real repercussions for being a terrible person to 9 other people in pregame lobby. It's a lose-lose because if someone wants to avoid that toxic player, they'll have to dodge and get hit with a 15 minute wait time for "queue dodging", while if they decide to stay in, it's a loss because they'll have to deal with that toxic player for 15-40+ minutes.
: The game and the community itself
The community will remain toxic and will **never** improve unless the community actually becomes proactive and uses the tools that Riot has given to make the community a better place. Unfortunately, it seems almost taboo to use the report feature in the League community since it seems that people will mock someone who does so, which in effect, makes the community worse. Originally, Riot DID have a way to kind of police the community using community effort, with the Tribunal, but that's been buried and has been like that for a good 4+ years. They got rid of it to "improve" it, but there hasn't really been an update on it recently. Personally, I think they just scrapped the entire idea and don't want to be open about getting rid of it. The community itself is toxic. Back in 2011 to 2013, the amount of toxic players were the extreme minority, and a lot of the people in the community were great people. I learned a lot from them on how to play MOBAs. Though, skip forward to this year, I find it hard to say that the community has changed for the better, but I can say easily that the community has changed for the worse. On the climb to 30, I have had at most, 1 game where I legitimately enjoyed playing, mainly because one of the people on my team is a real-life friend that I was talking to and catching up with. The other person was also nice, explaining that they were just taking a break from life, much like my friend and I were. The rest of the games, I haven't enjoyed at all, mainly because if the people in the game aren't bots, they're toxic, or they're extremely passive aggressive by spamming pings and never talking in the ingame chat box. The climb to 30 scares away new potential players. I've already experienced it once, and my first climb to 30 wasn't bad. For this climb to 30? There's a reason for why I have always told others who are curious about League to find a different game to play. I don't want others to experience the miserable climb to 30, and I'd prefer others to play a game where they can legitimately enjoy it or interacting with the community. New players won't find that in League.
: Some League Players Are Unbelievable
It's much easier to be a jackass to someone you don't know or you'll never meet. League is the perfect vehicle for that since there are many people who play this game, and some people treat others in this game as subhuman just to justify themselves being a jackass. Though, it could also be that the person being a jackass towards others in this game having issues outside of the game, such as themselves getting bullied by others in real life, or physical abuse, or something that has damaged their psyche. Them being a jackass towards others they'll never know is their way to vent their stress out.
JagOff (EUW)
: Right, next time someone barks at me in chat all game, about how I should stop feeding after I had a bad laning phase, I'll make sure to get myself a psychologist on top of muting the guy, since my teammates cause me to experience anxiety attacks, and I simply can't face the pressure on my own. Come the hell on. This is so condescending to people with an actual history of trauma. What do you even build this stupid argument on? At least define what you mean by "mental abuse", because how you used it right now, makes it look like you're just messing with language in a way to exaggerate a lesser problem, making it seem a lot worse than it actually is. {{sticker:zombie-brand-facepalm}}
> [{quoted}](name=JagOff,realm=EUW,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=PEBBVTpE,comment-id=000100000002000100000000,timestamp=2017-10-19T23:38:57.780+0000) > > Right, next time someone barks at me in chat all game, about how I should stop feeding after I had a bad laning phase, I'll make sure to get myself a psychologist on top of muting the guy, since my teammates cause me to experience anxiety attacks, and I simply can't face the pressure on my own. > > Come the hell on. This is so condescending to people with an actual history of trauma. > > What do you even build this stupid argument on? At least define what you mean by "mental abuse", because how you used it right now, makes it look like you're just messing with language in a way to exaggerate a lesser problem, making it seem a lot worse than it actually is. > > {{sticker:zombie-brand-facepalm}} In a nutshell, check out this PDF, which outlines the whole thing. http://nic.unlv.edu/pcan/files/emotional_child_abuse.pdf?docID=122 If someone is abusing you through /all chat, there is an option to turn it off in the options section. Turn off /all if someone on the enemy team is making you feel like crap. Look, I know you're hardcore trolling and trying your hardest to get a reaction out of me, but hey, others should realize that mental abuse can psychologically affect an individual who is exposed to it.
: Unconventional way to stop flamers (as a bystander)
It's awesome to diffuse situations like that, but from my experience here, flamers in League want to burn down the entire team rather than just one person. I've tried it out and the flamer just went straight to me and started calling me names that they would never say to their mothers.
: Final Thought: The dumbest PSA ever.
@OP: At least outside of League, someone who lost a person's trust can still earn it back and be forgiven, if the person isn't vindictive or unreasonable. Basically, that old adage: "people never change" is complete and utter bullshit. Though, with League, people tend to heavily circumvent the bans and get around it, since it's easy to make an account and continue playing,
: > [{quoted}](name=A Sealed Box,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=41WZohPb,comment-id=0002,timestamp=2017-10-17T08:21:29.588+0000) > > Can we all just confirm that League of Legends is 100% the MOBA equivalent of Call of Duty at this point? Community-wise, at least. Someone has to say it. > No. I've seen worse. Try Counter-Strike. HotS isn't great, either. {{champion:51}}
> [{quoted}](name=Azure Hamster,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=41WZohPb,comment-id=00020000,timestamp=2017-10-17T14:08:28.894+0000) > > No. I've seen worse. Try Counter-Strike. HotS isn't great, either. > > {{champion:51}} I play both. CSGO is bad, but not as bad as League. At least in there, I've made a couple of friends who I've met outside of the game, and they're awesome people. I've only met people on League because I met them outside of the game prior to meeting them on League, but I've never really had a good time playing League. I also play HotS more often than League now because the community there is exponentially better than League's. I've had a majority of the time a good experience with HotS.
: It really is a shame when toxic people win a game.
> i asked him " damn do u kiss your mother with that mouth?" to which he replies " no i kiss yours" Can we all just confirm that League of Legends is 100% the MOBA equivalent of Call of Duty at this point? Community-wise, at least. Someone has to say it. Anyways, I would say just report them. Sure, it feels like nothing will happen, but I've had my fair share of people calling me retarded and telling me to go die in a fire, or whatever kids say nowadays. I've reported a good chunk of the people who are exactly like the player you mentioned, and so far, I've had at least 3 confirmed notifications of disciplinary action taken on them. You could also speed up the process if the player is excessively toxic by getting screenshots and sending in a support ticket. But yeah, toxic players ruin this game. It doesn't even matter if they're on my team or the enemy team, any time there is a toxic player in the game, my enjoyment and motivation for that match just goes down the toilet. Unfortunately, it seems that there are now more toxic players than there are nice players in this community now.
: Yeah meet friends and colleagues in League of Legends who will make sure to question your mental abilities, threaten to kill you, your parents and your dog, tell you to get some aids or cancer while laughing at you saying how bad you are. As an addon to the relationship you have the undeserved gift to be able to buy skins, emotes and whatever your heart desires for the gf's mom (Riot Company) and when gf's mom (Riot) decides that it's time to break up (ban), you will have to leave behind all the gifts you bought for her. Basically it's like in real life LMAO. From then it's making a fresh start (new acc, new relationship), getting disappointed over and over again. Rinse and repeat.
> [{quoted}](name=Anniehilat0r,realm=EUW,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=RYpAEyfL,comment-id=0000,timestamp=2017-10-16T22:19:38.731+0000) > > Yeah meet friends and colleagues in League of Legends who will make sure to question your mental abilities, threaten to kill you, your parents and your dog, tell you to get some aids or cancer while laughing at you saying how bad you are. As an addon to the relationship you have the undeserved gift to be able to buy skins, emotes and whatever your heart desires for the gf's mom (Riot Company) and when gf's mom (Riot) decides that it's time to break up (ban), you will have to leave behind all the gifts you bought for her. Basically it's like in real life LMAO. From then it's making a fresh start (new acc, new relationship), getting disappointed over and over again. Rinse and repeat. If others' relationships are like this, I'd say that they're going for the wrong kind of people. I'd see it more as you get back together, start from scratch, and then see where that pans off. Though, if the relationship is like that, I'd say to find a different person worth your time and a person that respects you (basically, finding a different gaming community and have a new relationship there).
JagOff (EUW)
: Equating negativity to mental abuse is a weeeee bit of a stretch, don't you think? Frankly, it's condescending. {{sticker:zombie-brand-clap}}
> [{quoted}](name=JagOff,realm=EUW,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=PEBBVTpE,comment-id=0001000000020001,timestamp=2017-10-16T02:32:14.167+0000) > > Equating negativity to mental abuse is a weeeee bit of a stretch, don't you think? > Frankly, it's condescending. > > {{sticker:zombie-brand-clap}} To summarize a complex point: No.
: Does riot even ban these toxic players ?
I've had to consistently report people in pretty much 85-90% of my games for cheating (botting), or essentially being toxic towards others (like literally telling someone to kill themselves), and so far, I've only had 3 confirmed notifications that my reporting is doing something. Most of my reports are of botting, but come on, Jagex was able to get rid of 90-95% of bots (though, at the cost of their community numbers. Though, it can be argued that their loyal playerbase stayed for the long haul), can't Riot do something similar? I'm pretty sure that they're super backed up in their reports because of the sheer volume of people reporting on what seems to be a near daily basis, which doesn't really look good for Riot and the League community.
: What Triggers You?
If someone has to resort to name-calling or calling others "retarded" rather than actually playing, that's when I start not having fun with this game. My climb to 30 has been overall miserable since level 1 as a result.
: it's a game yet you see the need for a system to police speech and "negativity"? (without any linkage to gameplay i might add)
> [{quoted}](name=sanshaoye,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=PEBBVTpE,comment-id=00010000,timestamp=2017-10-14T15:37:04.630+0000) > > it's a game yet you see the need for a system to police speech and "negativity"? (without any linkage to gameplay i might add) Mental abuse has an extremely positive correlation (I don't want to say it causes poor performance because there are other factors, but it's one of the strongest factors) to poor performance.
: This game has successfully made me attend Therapy against depression
Hey man, I know how you feel. I had a similar experience a while back, where I left League because the majority of the League community seems to be toxic. I didn't go to therapy, but I did end up considering offing myself given how common it was for people in this game telling me to kill myself and me dealing with a serious family issue at the time. I came back because I thought the community changed, but, nah, it has easily gotten worse (exponentially) since I left. I'm mainly playing just to get my account to 30 so I can do premades with friends in ARAM. But yeah, your health is more important than a game that caters to toxic people. Take a break from it, and hopefully you find a better community to be a part of; League isn't the best community to be associated with. I'd recommend smaller game communities, but there are toxic people in every community, so watch out for those kinds of people.
Die Alone (EUW)
: Is it punishable to use mom jokes?
That's just being a douche to an already frustrated player and fueling the fire. That's also something I expect to hear/see from a CoD player who is 10 years old or younger (I got these type of "mom insults" all the time in Call of Duty when I was still playing it back when I was in high school). I'd say it's report-worthy. Come on, be classy and don't insult other peoples' mothers. This community isn't Call of Duty, but it's starting to sound like a MOBA version of it.
: What's your differences between talking smack and just having an odd sense of humor?
Think of it this way: If someone says that it really offends them, you should probably stop. Example: I've lost count on how many times I've been called autistic on my climb to 30. I do have a young family member who is autistic and also gets picked on a bit because of that, so when someone uses autism as an insult, it's a very personal insult to me. I've told people to stop it multiple times, and they continue, except they're even worse because they know it incited a response from me. That's when it becomes verbal abuse and harassment. There's joking, and then there's being a jerk. I was once that kind of person, and after growing up and experiencing life a while, I learned that if I didn't have anything nice to say, I probably shouldn't say it. It's that old adage that kids were told in preschool-kindergarten. I personally didn't learn that words do influence others' decisions and was a complete jackass and a douchebag towards everyone until I went to college and learned that.
Gralat (NA)
: Can we make "ez" a reportable offense again?
I tend to report that as verbal abuse and negative attitude, because it's guaranteed that if someone says, "gg ez", they're a pretty negative person and generally toxic to either the enemy team or their own teammates, or they're extremely toxic in postgame chat.
: Thats a very typical chatbox in any online competitive game. I will never understand why people think this behavior is exclusive to League.
> [{quoted}](name=The Big Piece,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=aeHAHj7J,comment-id=0000,timestamp=2017-10-05T01:44:52.197+0000) > > Thats a very typical chatbox in any online competitive game. I will never understand why people think this behavior is exclusive to League. Yes, but on a level this common where it happens nearly every game? That seems very exclusive to League. Does it happen in Overwatch? Yes. but it's very rare, because there's a monetary incentive to not be a jerk to every single person in the community, namely, $40 for standard, or $60, and no one wants to waste $60 just to be a jerk to others. Does it happen in Dota? Yes, but from my experience, it's pretty rare, except for ranked, which, I never played ranked in there because I knew that it would be exactly like playing League in Normals or ARAM. Does it happen in Smite? I haven't seen it in Smite tbh, I only see bots pretty much. It has never happened in Heroes from my experience, and I know for sure that I've spent at minimum, at least 300 hours on there because my friend and I would play it every single day during the summer. So, yes, what you said was true: This kind of chatbox is common in pretty much any online competitive game, but it's not typical like on the level of League typical, where it's very common to see this kind of chatbox in the game.
Rioter Comments
: Why are players on the PBE generally a lot more hostile than people in the regular game?
I don't know, I've received a good amount of death threats and people calling me retarded in the public game. Like, this is... pretty common; if I'm not playing with bots in ARAM, I'm being called retarded in normals.
: Lets make being positive a trend !
I don't think the League community will get any better in terms of toxicity. The community itself is considered one of the most toxic, if not the most toxic gaming community compared to even communities like Call of Duty. I do understand that you're trying to make it so League won't have a toxic community, but that simply can't happen because of factors such as: 1: The game is competitive, and competition tends to bring out the worst in all of us, unless kept in check. Other than the reporting system, there really is no check. 2: The vast majority of the community is around the ages of 13-16 (I'm using 13, because that's the minimum age to play this game, but there could be younger players in the community). 3: Internet anonymity; this ensures that people can be the most reprehensible beings they can get, because there is no repercussions in the end other than a banned account, which is very easy to bypass that by simply making another account. Those are just some factors in why I don't think that the League community will get better in terms of attitude, but I do think that the community will get progressively worse, even cinching the "most toxic community" award from Call of Duty (though, we already do have some Top 10 channels saying that League is worse than Call of Duty now). Back in 2011, when I first played, I was 19, I still saw the toxicity in the community, akin to what I saw on Call of Duty, except people typed out what they were feeling, rather than saying it through the mic. Skip forward 6 years, and I can tell you right now that, at least from my perspective, the community has gotten a LOT worse compared to back in 2011. On this account (I'm rusty, because I left League 3 years ago due to real life issues and the community was too toxic), I'm not going to say it's an exaggeration, but I have reported at least 1 player in every single one of my games since making this account because of toxicity, or botting. The community isn't going to get better, it's only going to get worse. I like your idea of trying to make the community a better place, but given that the League community is so large already, and the recent debacle of a Riot "official" statement wishing death upon a community member, your idea will probably, at most, make a small niche sub-community where the nicer or more tolerable community members will flock to.
: I'm not here to advocate drinking since I don't do it. But when it comes to marijane I'm an advocate for it. So understand that not everyone views things the same way. You say "illegal drug" when referring to marijane and guys like me cringe at the thought of ever meeting you ingame. You say "look like a teenager that is trying their hardest to be cool, and failing at it" and you look like a judgemental pain in the ass. But I look at anything other than that and you seem like you're a decent person besides that. What if I told you people that smoke weed can be decent people too? What if I told you people aren't looking for attention, their looking for more likeminded individuals capable of understanding that it's OK to do whatever you feel like doing with your mind or body? How else are you supposed to do that besides typing it out in a match? Oh you could just invite any random guy to your discord and play a match, but who wants to be talked to like a child after you say plainly "ill be right back I gotta smoke some jane"? Ill tell you, not a damn person I know that smokes pot thinks "oh my god my life has been changed because some closed-minded asshole just judged me as a person because I smoked a natural plant that helps my anxiety, sleep, eating, and general wellbeing." News flash for ALL of you people, quit fucking judging people like me and many other players because we smoke pot. You DON'T control us, you DON'T live in OUR shoes day after day and I tell ya, if you did you'd smoke pot too. You're all so quick to point your rancid little pointer fingers at us and tell us what WE do wrong in life when you haven't put one foot in our shoes for just a moment to TRY to understand why we might do what we do. I'm done. I have given my point of view to those that 99.99999% of the time aren't going to listen to one word. It's nobodies fault other than your own if you continue to live a life of a judgmental asshole. But one last word of advice before youre so quick to judge pot smokers, we don't judge you for your gaming addictions, your food addictions, your sex addictions, your gambling addictions, your anger issues, your arrogance, your privileges that we never had, or your shitty attitude UNTIL YOU JUDGE US. Peace
> [{quoted}](name=SpiritOfOdysseus,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=EXjlrEWb,comment-id=000e0000,timestamp=2017-10-03T06:12:07.302+0000) > > I'm not here to advocate drinking since I don't do it. But when it comes to marijane I'm an advocate for it. So understand that not everyone views things the same way. > > You say "illegal drug" when referring to marijane and guys like me cringe at the thought of ever meeting you ingame. You say "look like a teenager that is trying their hardest to be cool, and failing at it" and you look like a judgemental pain in the ass. But I look at anything other than that and you seem like you're a decent person besides that. > > What if I told you people that smoke weed can be decent people too? What if I told you people aren't looking for attention, their looking for more likeminded individuals capable of understanding that it's OK to do whatever you feel like doing with your mind or body? How else are you supposed to do that besides typing it out in a match? Oh you could just invite any random guy to your discord and play a match, but who wants to be talked to like a child after you say plainly "ill be right back I gotta smoke some jane"? Ill tell you, not a damn person I know that smokes pot thinks "oh my god my life has been changed because some closed-minded asshole just judged me as a person because I smoked a natural plant that helps my anxiety, sleep, eating, and general wellbeing." > > News flash for ALL of you people, quit fucking judging people like me and many other players because we smoke pot. You DON'T control us, you DON'T live in OUR shoes day after day and I tell ya, if you did you'd smoke pot too. You're all so quick to point your rancid little pointer fingers at us and tell us what WE do wrong in life when you haven't put one foot in our shoes for just a moment to TRY to understand why we might do what we do. > I'm done. I have given my point of view to those that 99.99999% of the time aren't going to listen to one word. > It's nobodies fault other than your own if you continue to live a life of a judgmental asshole. But one last word of advice before youre so quick to judge pot smokers, we don't judge you for your gaming addictions, your food addictions, your sex addictions, your gambling addictions, your anger issues, your arrogance, your privileges that we never had, or your shitty attitude UNTIL YOU JUDGE US. > > Peace Uhh, in the US at the federal level, marijuana is still considered a Schedule I drug, and also still banned. It doesn't really matter if a state says, "oh yeah, it's cool", at the federal level in the US, marijuana is still considered an illegal drug. Link below to show you. https://www.dea.gov/druginfo/ds.shtml Again, drugs aren't cool (unless it's prescribed to you, then that's the exception). I've had friends who have OD'd on drugs, and I have had friends who have ruined their lives because of drugs. Is this me acting like an "uncool" person, or a pain in the ass? Sure, whatever, I don't care what you think of me. I'm all for legalization of cannabis because I've had to deal with glaucoma issues, and cannabis is being researched in my state on the effects of it on glaucoma patients. I also think that it should be down a few Schedules on the list, such as a Schedule II or Schedule III, but even Schedule III is pushing it. I have friends who smoke weed because it's legal here in California. Sure, it's legal in the state, but again: Marijuana/Cannabis/Weed is still ILLEGAL at the FEDERAL LEVEL. My friends also don't brag about it online, ever, or brag about it at all. There literally is nothing cool about "hey, i'm sooooo high rn". It just looks like a desperate ploy for attention. Someone can experience the effects of cannabis and not brag about it. No one will care (at least in California) if someone is high and is silent about it, unless it's in a workplace, then that's also a different story. Again, I don't care if you get high on your own time. Go for it, more power to you. But, if you're high in the middle of the match that I'm playing in? I don't care if you're on the enemy team or my own team, you're ruining the experience for 9 other people. I honestly don't care if you smoke on YOUR OWN TIME away from me. However, if you're high or smoking weed while ingame and the results are showing, then I'm going to call you out on it, because you're affecting ME and 9 other players' experiences in the game, or you and 5 other players in the game. I'll reiterate one more time in bold: **I don't care if you're high on YOUR OWN TIME. I only care if you being high affects your ability to play in a match that I'm in, because it's going to ruin 9 other players' experiences.**
: It's a Discord tag. Not a company granted account. He can change it to whatever the fuck he wants.
> [{quoted}](name=NineTailedMystic,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=jkdmELRL,comment-id=000d000000000000000100000000,timestamp=2017-10-02T06:08:58.828+0000) > > It's a Discord tag. Not a company granted account. He can change it to whatever the fuck he wants. On the Reddit Page, it was confirmed by the Riot tag, the reddit name, and the fact that another Riot employee confirmed that it happened.
: What do you guys think of the Riot Sanjuro situation?
To give it to one side, no one is perfect. I know for sure that I have said things that I would never say in a professional setting, but I tend to do that when I'm off the clock, my uniform is not on, and I am with a group of friends at the bar. Everyone will be bound to mess up in life. It happens. People HAVE done worse things, such as The Mittani on Eve Online, who heavily encouraged a room of over 1000+ people to tell a single person to kill themselves, on live television, which severely damaged the Eve Online community's reputation, as well as the company's reputation who runs Eve Online. It's human, but it's still crass to do something like that. On the other side, the whole thing was NOT acceptable, especially for someone who supposedly is in charge or plays a very influential role in how to regulate the toxicity within the community. Just by that, using the Riot _____ name, people like me who have been conditioned to think the uniform represents the company, I initially thought that it was perfectly fine for Riot employees to wish death upon others, and by that standard, it would be perfectly fine for others in the community to wish death upon others in the community. That's how I was trained in my job position, and that's what I originally thought, which is why I tend to have an unfavorable opinion about the community (as well as the company now). For me, if I said some extremely derogatory thing and peppered in, "But this is just my opinion", even if I wasn't in uniform, I would be handed the pink slip from my company so fast, I wouldn't even have to blink before I found myself fired. Wishing death upon others is never okay, and to have it using an official Riot Employee account at that too. While I don't think Sanjuro should be fired, I think that the Riot team needs to **heavily** take a look through their training, and ensure that something like this never happens again. It's bad enough that this is already becoming news outside of the League community. If people outside the League community didn't have an unfavorable opinion about the League community or Riot, they do now after this happened.
: The guy stated it was his own opinion and not Riot's. So I guess he thought it would be ok to speak his mind, although it still isn't ok to do that because you still somehow represent Riot Games. By the way, for clarity I am not speaking on whether this is correct or incorrect because I do not want to get involved in the politics of this. I am just mentioning this detail so that people do not point at Riot Games for being at fault. Because they are not.
> [{quoted}](name=Melledoneus,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=jkdmELRL,comment-id=000d0000000000000001,timestamp=2017-10-02T00:44:50.722+0000) > > The guy stated it was his own opinion and not Riot's. So I guess he thought it would be ok to speak his mind, although it still isn't ok to do that because you still somehow represent Riot Games. > > By the way, for clarity I am not speaking on whether this is correct or incorrect because I do not want to get involved in the politics of this. I am just mentioning this detail so that people do not point at Riot Games for being at fault. Because they are not. In a professional setting, the "This is my own opinion and doesn't represent my employer's opinion" never flies. An employee represents their employer, and just by using the account to post something as bad as that, they kind of made it seem like it's okay for the community to wish death upon others in the community. It definitely doesn't fly when they're using Riot ____ to post under it. I assume, when a Riot member posts on their employee account, they are speaking for the company, and not for themselves. I've been conditioned to thinking like that, which is why I have a personal email and facebook page for my friends and family, while I do my work-related business using my professional email. It would have been much better if they never used their Riot account to post something that goes against everything Riot supposedly goes against. Based off of what I saw in the Reddit page, it seems like the community thinks that if it's okay for a Riot employee to be a complete jerk to someone in the community, it's okay for themselves to be a complete jerk to anyone in the community.
: Guaranteed 90% of the people who say they are drunk or high playing league are under-aged edgy teens making excuses for them playing like shit.
> [{quoted}](name=Serial Tickler,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=EXjlrEWb,comment-id=000d,timestamp=2017-10-01T22:05:13.738+0000) > > Guaranteed 90% of the people who say they are drunk or high playing league are under-aged edgy teens making excuses for them playing like shit. When I was a teenager, I said stupid things like "I'm drunk rn LMAO" or "I'm soooooo high", because I wanted to sound cooler. Now, as a somewhat fully-functioning adult, I don't announce anything like that to anyone, because I know for sure that it won't make me look cooler.
: Dont play under the influence
People who say that ingame aren't making themselves any cooler, tbh. It just makes them look like they're desperate for attention. Take this from someone who had a drinking problem a while back and is now clean: Don't drink and do anything that requires complex movement/thinking. Drinking or smoking an illegal drug (at the federal level in America at least) isn't going to make you look cooler. It makes you look like a teenager that is trying their hardest to be cool, and failing at it.
: Also if somebody on my team decides to say GGEZ I certainly don't feel any better about it either so we're talking about basically nobody caring except the person doing it. Oh and I haven't seen any DSP related stuff for years now but is he really a poor sport at tournaments? Does he even still do tournaments? Actually don't answer that, the less I know about DSP the better.
> [{quoted}](name=Mama Soraka,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=gOL35JAY,comment-id=00020002,timestamp=2017-10-01T03:52:29.508+0000) > > Also if somebody on my team decides to say GGEZ I certainly don't feel any better about it either so we're talking about basically nobody caring except the person doing it. > > Oh and I haven't seen any DSP related stuff for years now but is he really a poor sport at tournaments? Does he even still do tournaments? Actually don't answer that, the less I know about DSP the better. I didn't see him at EVO when I went. I think the FGC scared him off from doing face-to-face venues, which it must have taken a LOT to do so. All the FGC guys I met and became friends with were some of the nicest and most accepting people I have met in my life; they gave me a rough crash course on how to play fighting games efficiently when I told them I'm not a big fighting game person and would like to learn. He spends most of his time just streaming, blaming people for cheating, and has gotten substantially worse in every aspect ever since he became single again.
Terozu (NA)
: I have NO idea who either of those two are.
> [{quoted}](name=darkcastkiller,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=gOL35JAY,comment-id=00020000,timestamp=2017-09-30T04:55:04.617+0000) > > I have NO idea who either of those two are. In the FGC, Darksydephil was the douchebag that would constantly berate other players for sucking, even though he's considered one of the worst FGC players in terms of mechanical skill. He's been documented getting beaten by a kid below the age of 15, and he called the kid a "cheater", a "scrub", and a "bitch". He bans anyone from his streams and Twitter who do not agree with his narrow viewpoint and anyone who criticizes him is automatically an idiot, even if the person is college educated (Darksydephil has at most, a high school education, and survives by streaming every day). Lowtiergod is essentially Darksydephil. except an African-American version of him.
: > [{quoted}](name=A Sealed Box,realm=NA,application-id=3ErqAdtq,discussion-id=hOEA8WQv,comment-id=00000000,timestamp=2017-09-30T00:24:12.683+0000) > > Thanks for the insight! > > I don't know if I can consider myself a smurf anymore, since the last time I played was 3 years ago, and I haven't really touched on the game other than making some statements and talking with friends here and there at the now-defunct League of Legends club here. I can tell how rusty I am now. It's definitely awesome that you brought me back up to speed on this game. > > Thank you again! If you started over on a new account it probably triggered smurf detection because you had some basic knowledge and habits that indicate you know how to play the game already. It could be that or maybe you just went on a big winning streak early on and it pushed your MMR very high.
> [{quoted}](name=Khristophoros,realm=NA,application-id=3ErqAdtq,discussion-id=hOEA8WQv,comment-id=000000000000,timestamp=2017-09-30T09:28:53.522+0000) > > If you started over on a new account it probably triggered smurf detection because you had some basic knowledge and habits that indicate you know how to play the game already. It could be that or maybe you just went on a big winning streak early on and it pushed your MMR very high. I'm doing well on ARAM, but I prefer playing ARAM over Summoner's Rift. So far for Summoner's Rift, I only have 2 wins, but I can see why it points out that I'm a smurf. Could it be based off of IP address? One of my roommates plays League, but the last time I played League was at another house before I moved around.
: There is a hidden MMR (match maker rating) for your account. When you win, it increases. When you lose, it decreases. New accounts gain/lose more MMR per match, and supposedly there are some algorithms to detect potential "smurfs", players who are on an alternate account trying to stomp noobs. If the system thinks that's the case, it will boost the MMR more on wins. Ranked also uses an internal MMR but it's separate from unranked games. So the rank is not taken into account in normal games. A lot of players don't even play ranked, but the system still needs to be able to place them with similarly skilled players. Also, summoner level is not taken into account for matchmaking. It's 100% based on the MMR rating. Another thing to note about MMR. The gains/losses are weighted based on the difference in MMR between the two teams. It sucks to play against people who have a stat advantage, and that's why they are replacing the current runes and masteries with a system that is fully unlocked for all summoner levels.
> [{quoted}](name=Khristophoros,realm=NA,application-id=3ErqAdtq,discussion-id=hOEA8WQv,comment-id=0000,timestamp=2017-09-29T22:30:43.657+0000) > > There is a hidden MMR (match maker rating) for your account. When you win, it increases. When you lose, it decreases. > > New accounts gain/lose more MMR per match, and supposedly there are some algorithms to detect potential "smurfs", players who are on an alternate account trying to stomp noobs. If the system thinks that's the case, it will boost the MMR more on wins. > > Ranked also uses an internal MMR but it's separate from unranked games. So the rank is not taken into account in normal games. A lot of players don't even play ranked, but the system still needs to be able to place them with similarly skilled players. > > Also, summoner level is not taken into account for matchmaking. It's 100% based on the MMR rating. > > Another thing to note about MMR. The gains/losses are weighted based on the difference in MMR between the two teams. > > It sucks to play against people who have a stat advantage, and that's why they are replacing the current runes and masteries with a system that is fully unlocked for all summoner levels. Thanks for the insight! I don't know if I can consider myself a smurf anymore, since the last time I played was 3 years ago, and I haven't really touched on the game other than making some statements and talking with friends here and there at the now-defunct League of Legends club here. I can tell how rusty I am now. It's definitely awesome that you brought me back up to speed on this game. Thank you again!
: Is this a bit too far..? "HITLER was right"
That's... going way beyond crossing the line. Come on, show some class, not crass.
Terozu (NA)
: Why do people get so mad at ggez?
The way I see "ggez" is akin to how I see "Stay free" in the FGC. Only complete douchebags say "Stay free" in the FGC: Think of Lowtiergod, or Darksydephil when I say that only douchebags say that phrase in the FGC. It's pretty much similar sentiments in MOBA games when someone says, "ggez", or any variant of that. It'll probably get the person who is saying it jolly off their knockers, but it makes everyone else not on that person's team feel like crap. Another way to think about it (personally one that made me laugh because my friend told me about it and he makes a lot of things funny) is: Let's say you're eating cereal at home, and your neighbor rudely barges into your home, then decides to pee in your cereal, and says, "Good morning neighbor!". I'm sure many people in here wouldn't like that.
Rioter Comments
: Thanks. Ill try out Overwatch.
> [{quoted}](name=AnAcidRapper,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=AufPJrfA,comment-id=00000000,timestamp=2017-09-29T20:18:03.543+0000) > > Thanks. Ill try out Overwatch. Have fun with it! If you need anyone to play with, I'm not a great player, but I'll do the best I can. It's $40 for the standard, and $60 Origins, iirc.
Cyrosi (NA)
: Meh. Overwatch is only Toxic 1/5 matches if you play ranked. In Quick play, Mystery heroes, etc. no one cares. Why would they? You only get XP for playing those matches, it's not like rank where you lose points.
> [{quoted}](name=Cyrosi,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=AufPJrfA,comment-id=0001,timestamp=2017-09-29T20:27:39.121+0000) > > Meh. Overwatch is only Toxic 1/5 matches if you play ranked. In Quick play, Mystery heroes, etc. no one cares. Why would they? You only get XP for playing those matches, it's not like rank where you lose points. I'll agree that there are toxic games in Overwatch, and have been in a handful of them. Compared to League though, it's not as bad. As for Competitive, the only areas that I know of for that mode is high silver and low Plat, which isn't overly toxic, but I've had a small share of toxic players, but none of it is usually directed towards me because I tend to play the support class and am really active in the voice chat, like calling out if an enemy has used up their ult, or if I have my own. I don't know about low silver to bronze, or high plat+, but I'd like to hear from someone who is in those areas of Overwatch. Definitely for QP and Arcade, I've only met toxic players on QP, but that's extremely rare, like 1 out of 100 matches or so.
: mobile legends has a chat system and the game is super toxic
> [{quoted}](name=Toshiai,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=AufPJrfA,comment-id=00000001,timestamp=2017-09-29T20:23:59.566+0000) > > mobile legends has a chat system and the game is super toxic I've never seen it since I installed it while I was abroad over summer. I didn't know this; from my personal experience, people just play the game and that's it and don't really communicate because the game is too fast paced (for me at least).
BigInJapan (EUNE)
: It's not just the climb to 30, Ive been lvl 30 a long time. a month or two ago i had a day where i had 2 games in a row. where my team had 2 bots and enemy was full human. It's kinda alright when both teams have 1 bot so it kinda evens out somewhat. But if other team has more than the other you are going to have a bad time! Usually it's just 1 bot per team. but somehow most of the time it ends up on my team.
> [{quoted}](name=BigInJapan,realm=EUNE,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=sW68PJ5I,comment-id=000100000000,timestamp=2017-09-28T07:52:32.893+0000) > > It's not just the climb to 30, Ive been lvl 30 a long time. a month or two ago i had a day where i had 2 games in a row. where my team had 2 bots and enemy was full human. It's kinda alright when both teams have 1 bot so it kinda evens out somewhat. But if other team has more than the other you are going to have a bad time! Usually it's just 1 bot per team. but somehow most of the time it ends up on my team. I really hope that Riot understands that the bots are not only helping the image that their game is toxic, but that it's swaying people away from their game. At my level now, there are a mix of bots and toxic smurfs, with a majority being the bots still. The toxic smurfs are also preventing new players from actually enjoying the game as well. League is fun to play with friends, but when no one really plays League in this area anymore, playing League is more of "do I want to mentally abuse and degrade myself today" kinds of games.
: Because Blizzard actually cares about the players that give them money and are a company in reputable standard able to host multiple franchises and don't sit on their hands.
> [{quoted}](name=rito smd pls,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=EhWE93EF,comment-id=000800010000,timestamp=2017-09-28T04:09:35.531+0000) > > Because Blizzard actually cares about the players that give them money and are a company in reputable standard able to host multiple franchises and don't sit on their hands. Well, they've had enough years of experience in PR to ensure that their playerbase will keep coming back to them. That, and they also understand that a happy community isn't one that is at each others' throats.
: Why does Riot not do more to ban trolls?
There's nothing to lose in this game. League is a free game, and there's no incentive to be nice to people in this game, but there IS great incentive (and a lot of it too) to be a jerk to everyone, especially since it's competitive. Because of these factors, this is why the majority of the community is seen as toxic not just others within the community itself, but by many who aren't part of this community (it also doesn't help that there are popular streamers and popular channels on Youtube who also ring the same bell).
MaroModo (NA)
: Maybe I am just lucky but I never get bots anymore when I play aram and I play a lot of it
> [{quoted}](name=MaroModo,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=sW68PJ5I,comment-id=0001,timestamp=2017-09-27T12:52:04.999+0000) > > Maybe I am just lucky but I never get bots anymore when I play aram and I play a lot of it It's mainly lower levels from what I see. My friend is level 30 as well and plays with other people all the time, but the climb to 30 is where I notice bots in every single game, not only just my side, but on the other side. When bots get placed on the other side, I genuinely feel bad because the human players on that team will definitely have a terrible time as a result of the bots.
BigInJapan (EUNE)
: One of my friends is a low level, and we did an ARAM togheter. We were the only real players.... Just us. Even the enemy team was only bots. My score was 35/3/18 and we won on 10.14. And its not fun. It's too easy. Boring. That was some weeks ago. Today i haven't seen any bots yet. Maybe they just did a ban wave. But its really frustrating if you have a feeding bot. I don't mind losing if its a good game. But if i lose always because of bots that's just takes the fun out of the game. But if they don't find a good solution soon, then i don't really want to play nor buy skins and stuff. And i think that goes for a lot of players. I also understand that its an ever going battle and impossible to get rid of bots completely, but at least maybe try to identify them and have bots match up with bots, so they wont ruin other peoples time. Or something like that. Or just make it so that only winning team gets IP so botting won't be profitable.
> [{quoted}](name=BigInJapan,realm=EUNE,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=sW68PJ5I,comment-id=0000,timestamp=2017-09-27T12:50:53.662+0000) > > One of my friends is a low level, and we did an ARAM togheter. We were the only real players.... Just us. Even the enemy team was only bots. My score was 35/3/18 and we won on 10.14. And its not fun. It's too easy. Boring. > > That was some weeks ago. Today i haven't seen any bots yet. Maybe they just did a ban wave. But its really frustrating if you have a feeding bot. I don't mind losing if its a good game. But if i lose always because of bots that's just takes the fun out of the game. > > But if they don't find a good solution soon, then i don't really want to play nor buy skins and stuff. And i think that goes for a lot of players. > > I also understand that its an ever going battle and impossible to get rid of bots completely, but at least maybe try to identify them and have bots match up with bots, so they wont ruin other peoples time. Or something like that. Or just make it so that only winning team gets IP so botting won't be profitable. The game has definitely become more of a chore to play rather than actual fun now as a result of the bots. I haven't put any money into the game (mainly because I couldn't afford it at the time, but now I can afford it), and won't until the problem of bots at lower levels is addressed and fixed. Something with what let's say SFIV did with their constant leavers, that they placed leavers and ragequitters with other leavers and ragequitters, except with this one being bots being placed with other bots.
Rioter Comments
: What a fun game already.
Overwatch. It has its share of toxic players, but it has a significantly much less toxic community compared to League's, because the incentive to not be toxic is monetary: People have paid money to play the game, and if they get banned, they just wasted $40-60. The threat of wasting money (or their parents' money) is enough to keep a good chunk of the community to check themselves before they wreck themselves. If you want an RPG, go for FFXIV. I've only heard good things about the game from both the actual game itself, and the community. I guess it's because people pay to play the game, and getting banned is enough to keep people wary about not being enormous jerkwads to each other. It's not a MOBA, but it's definitely a game I would like to pick up when I do get the money saved up to do so. Mobile Legends. Literally a mobile version of League, but the good thing about it is that there is no voice chat, and people spend more time playing the game rather than trying to make others feel like crap. It's a Chinese knock-off (literally) of League, but it's a good knock-off that I find myself playing every once in a while when there's nothing to do, or to kill time. I've noticed that I've had to report at least one player in every single one of my games since I made this account. Most are bots, but the ones that aren't bots are people like that in the screenshot. It sucks, but I seriously think that there are more bots and toxic people in this game rather than nice players as a result of how frequently I have to report a player or a bot.
Rodder (EUW)
: They should autochange such phrases into something like "i am stupid and need to wash my mouth with soap". One game actually did that, i just cant remember wich one.
> [{quoted}](name=Rodder,realm=EUW,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=EhWE93EF,comment-id=0008,timestamp=2017-09-23T22:01:26.571+0000) > > They should autochange such phrases into something like "i am stupid and need to wash my mouth with soap". > > One game actually did that, i just cant remember wich one. Overwatch did this. They changed "gg ez" to phrases that make themselves look like what they type: immature, and not fit for the game or their community. It didn't do much, but it did make a LOT of people look like immature 10-12 year old kids. Though, Blizzard from what I've been following, has been experimenting with things to actually make good on their word that they don't want to have an overly toxic community.
: I complimented a Zed on some fancy footwork he used to outplay me.
Well, it's League. The community is considered one of the most toxic communities in all of gaming, even to the point of giving Call of Duty a run for its title.
: This game is stressful and chat encourages you to talk.
Personally, after coming back from a long break (about 3 years), I tried to communicate with the community again on my new account. That went as well as expected. I remember the exact reason for why I took the long break from this game: League's community has, by far, the most toxic gaming community ever. I understand it's because the vast majority of players are around the ages of 10-16, the game is extremely competitive, and the aspect of anonymity makes it so kids can pretty much be as nasty as they want, because there is no repercussions ever. So, yeah, I heavily advocate following the advice of the OP: mute the entire community. The community is the main and biggest problem of this game since the toxic players and bots outweigh the decent part of the community, and League is still enjoyable and playable when someone doesn't have to talk or look at their text chat. Pings exist, and I would use that as my main source of communication rather than typing out whatever my thoughts are at the moment.
Show more

A Sealed Box

Level 24 (NA)
Lifetime Upvotes
Create a Discussion