: Tentacles will reveal themselves even if there's no enemy champions nearby. This just feels wrong. Only with this Illaoi cannot go in the jungle. This is the biggest issue in the entire post, as she is supposed to be able to jungle, but giving away her position every time she drops a tentacle is so crippling that she is impossible to jungle with in any division above Bronze V.
> [{quoted}](name=Cryonix,realm=NA,application-id=LqLKtMpN,discussion-id=2Ncw9ex9,comment-id=0000,timestamp=2018-02-11T19:52:27.296+0000) > > Tentacles will reveal themselves even if there's no enemy champions nearby. This just feels wrong. Only with this Illaoi cannot go in the jungle. > > This is the biggest issue in the entire post, as she is supposed to be able to jungle, but giving away her position every time she drops a tentacle is so crippling that she is impossible to jungle with in any division above Bronze V. shes not suppose to be able to jungle though lol... if that was really the thing hold her back then she would still see jungle play in low elo where that wouldnt matter hardly at all
: > It used to be in the medical terminology list but it fell out of favor due to the use of it. That is a pretty important point. Why'd they stop using retard? Because the majority of people were using it as an insult. If anything, the OP has supplied the result of the word's increasing use as an insult: decreased usage, starting in the medical profession.
> [{quoted}](name=Periscope,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=HXVJPjp0,comment-id=0005000000010001,timestamp=2018-02-08T01:02:23.851+0000) > > That is a pretty important point. Why'd they stop using retard? Because the majority of people were using it as an insult. > > If anything, the OP has supplied the result of the word's increasing use as an insult: decreased usage, starting in the medical profession. Goddamn you must really be held back. the definition changed. It doesn't matter why and it doesn't matter what it's used for. It doesn't mean anything offensive.
: You could say it in 1985 tonmwan something stupid but people have evolved. Infact referencing 2013 is laughable
> [{quoted}](name=Tearin True,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=HXVJPjp0,comment-id=0015,timestamp=2018-02-08T01:08:32.078+0000) > > You could say it in 1985 tonmwan something stupid but people have evolved. Infact referencing 2013 is laughable ??? the only thing laughable here is you saying, "tonwman". That doesnt even mean anything lol. Clearly you are held back.
: > [{quoted}](name=Annies Anus,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=HXVJPjp0,comment-id=00130000,timestamp=2018-02-08T00:55:45.224+0000) > > LMFAO you accuse me of trying to be clever with this post, meanwhile you are using every word from r / iamverysmart posts in the book. It's called an education, maybe go out and get one... you might really be intrigued as to what it can do for you. >It does matter that the words definition changed. Well, sir, you seem pretty gay about this topic. Hey! "Gay" means to be happy. >It doesn't matter how someone is using the word, what matters is the word itself in this case, Intent always matters. If your intent is to be malicious then you will find punishments in life are far greater. Calling someone a "retard" has a very specific meaning in our culture, words have meanings beyond their dictionary definitions sometimes---that is how slang starts and dialects evolve. >and in this case, the word retarded has literally 0 implications of being offensive, therefore it is not an offensive word. It doesn't matter that 95% of people find it offensive, it factually is not offensive. I assume you have a degree in Linguistics? Psychology? Communication? Perhaps you're an English major? Somehow, I doubt it, but regardless, I doubt that some guy that calls himself "Annies Anus" is exactly the most credible at determining what is or is not offensive to the masses. ARGUMENT FAILED! TRY AGAIN? [Y/N]
> [{quoted}](name=Scary Door,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=HXVJPjp0,comment-id=001300000000,timestamp=2018-02-08T01:05:37.593+0000) > > It's called an education, maybe go out and get one... you might really be intrigued as to what it can do for you. > > Well, sir, you seem pretty gay about this topic. Hey! "Gay" means to be happy. > > Intent always matters. If your intent is to be malicious then you will find punishments in life are far greater. Calling someone a "retard" has a very specific meaning in our culture, words have meanings beyond their dictionary definitions sometimes---that is how slang starts and dialects evolve. > > I assume you have a degree in Linguistics? Psychology? Communication? Perhaps you're an English major? Somehow, I doubt it, but regardless, I doubt that some guy that calls himself "Annies Anus" is exactly the most credible at determining what is or is not offensive to the masses. > > ARGUMENT FAILED! TRY AGAIN? [Y/N] Lol it's not called an education to use long more complicated words instead of shorter to type ones. It's called trying to farm internet point from people because it's your only form of gratification. And I don't need a degree in linguistics to know that when something's definition changes, but people don't change their definition if it, that doesn't mean that the definition never changed. It means the people are retarded.
: Then by all means, walk up to every person you see with an intellectual ability, take their hands and tell them how happy they should be that they don't have to be offended by being called a retard anymore. Better yet, go to a playground, find a child with an obvious handicap, go up to their parents, look them in the eyes and call that child a retard. And then try telling them all this bullshit about how they shouldn't be upset because it's not an offensive word anymore, and see if that keeps them from being upset. See if that keeps all those poor kids who are in special education classes from crying when they get bullied by the other kids at school. I'm sure when they go home, their moms and dads will just tell them "don't worry honey, it's not an offensive word." Words are not like electricity. There is no On/Off switch for offensive meanings. If the President made a law tomorrow that changed the definition of the N-word, it would still be an offensive word. Just like retard is still an offensive word. You're just too ignorant and insensitive to understand that.
> [{quoted}](name=OnlyYouCanHearMe,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=HXVJPjp0,comment-id=00040000000000000000,timestamp=2018-02-08T01:04:13.326+0000) > > Then by all means, walk up to every person you see with an intellectual ability, take their hands and tell them how happy they should be that they don't have to be offended by being called a retard anymore. Better yet, go to a playground, find a child with an obvious handicap, go up to their parents, look them in the eyes and call that child a retard. And then try telling them all this bullshit about how they shouldn't be upset because it's not an offensive word anymore, and see if that keeps them from being upset. See if that keeps all those poor kids who are in special education classes from crying when they get bullied by the other kids at school. I'm sure when they go home, their moms and dads will just tell them "don't worry honey, it's not an offensive word." > > Words are not like electricity. There is no On/Off switch for offensive meanings. If the President made a law tomorrow that changed the definition of the N-word, it would still be an offensive word. Just like retard is still an offensive word. You're just too ignorant and insensitive to understand that. Lol there is an on/off switch though. It's just that the switch got flipped to off and everybody and their mother are too lazy or ignorant to look back at the light switch. They would much rather just assume it's still on than check to see if it's off.
: I'm just going to grab my post from the last ["why is the word retard considered hate speech?" whining thread.](https://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/player-behavior-moderation/qJbU9Eso-retard-is-technically-hate-speech?comment=0008) whining thread and throw a few tweaks in. From [Food For Thought, Sites at Penn State: ](http://sites.psu.edu/lebold2012/2013/03/27/retarded-is-the-new-gay-rough-draft/) > Like many other words in the English language, the meaning of the term retarded has morphed quite a bit over time. The r-word falls into a category with other words such as imbecile and idiot– words at one point used to describe those with an intellectual disability. In the late 1960s through the 1980s, the term “mentally retarded” began to replace the then accepted term of “mentally deficient”. From that point on, those with intellectual disabilities began to be categorized based on their degree of mental retardation. The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), 4th Edition, published in 1994, uses the clinical label “mental retardation” for those with intellectual disabilities... > > Standing alone, the fact that the term “mentally retarded” used in a clinical setting carries no extraneous repercussions or negative implications. However, as the term “mentally retarded” became accepted to describe those with an intellectual disability in a clinical and medical setting, the term “retarded” was also introduced into the English language as a slang word and a morph of the medical term. The prefix of “mental” was dropped, and the r-word began to be used as a synonym for words such as “slow”, “moronic”, “idiotic”, “stupid”, “messed up” and “wrong”. As usage of the word grew in popularity among common language in America, the r-word evolved to hold seriously negative connotations. One does not simply use the r-word in a casual setting to describe something with a positive spin. Rather, the term has come to be an insult. From [Disability Scoop, Rosa's Law October, 2010:](https://www.disabilityscoop.com/2010/10/05/obama-signs-rosas-law/10547/) > President Barack Obama signed legislation Tuesday requiring the federal government to replace the term “mental retardation” with “intellectual disability” in many areas of government. > > The measure known as Rosa’s Law was approved unanimously by Congress before receiving the go-ahead from the president with little fanfare this week. > > Under the law, “mental retardation” and “mentally retarded” will be stripped from federal health, education and labor policy. “Intellectual disability” and “individual with an intellectual disability” will be inserted in their place. The word retard, with reference to mental disability, began harmlessly enough as a clinical term, but it didn't stay that way. It very quickly became an insult to imply mental deficiency in people who did not have a clinical condition. It is considered so offensive by those people who possess mental disabilities and their families, that federal legislation was enacted to remove the word. The word "retard" literally does not exist any longer in any federal policy. That should tell you that it's a seriously offensive word if the House of Representatives, the Senate and the President of the United States ALL unanimously approved the law to strike its use. And while the term retard is no longer an accepted MEDICAL diagnosis, the definition of the word does still include that of a mentally handicapped person in all major dictionaries. Simply because it was removed as a medical diagnosis does not obliterate the meaning of the word, nor does it change the offensive meaning that it holds for the people that it is used against. So, I have to ask you. When someone calls someone else a retard in a match... are they making a clinical diagnosis of intellectual disability? Or are they using it as a synonym for slow, moronic, idiotic or stupid? Because that's the two options. And unless they are asking a lot of other questions in that chat log to back up that clinical diagnosis, it's pretty safe to say that they are meaning it as the latter. Which is 100% intended to be offensive, and is all the evidence that Riot needs. The word is the evidence. Especially when they follow it up with things like "downie" or "fucking retard." There's no question in these cases that it's offensive. There's no excuse that can be provided for why it was okay for them to use the slur. It's never okay. These words are hateful, harmful, and should never be used so irreverently by immature brats online because they get pissed off at another player. It's sad that players would rather complain about how the rules are unfair, rather than simply own up to the fact that they did or said something wrong, and accept the consequences. And I know that you personally didn't, I'm not referring to you specifically with that, just the barrage of players who come here posting angry threads about how they were "unfairly banned" that are filled with hate speech. Sometimes I just want to tell them to suck it up and be a man. We all say things from time to time and get called out on it. Yeah, it's embarrassing. It's called being a teenager. But it's better to own up to it and focus our energies on not repeating the mistakes, rather than whining about how we got caught in the first place. -------------------------------------------------------- _formerly VentressRedeemed_
> [{quoted}](name=OnlyYouCanHearMe,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=HXVJPjp0,comment-id=0014,timestamp=2018-02-08T00:55:26.589+0000) > > I'm just going to grab my post from the last ["why is the word retard considered hate speech?" whining thread.](https://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/player-behavior-moderation/qJbU9Eso-retard-is-technically-hate-speech?comment=0008) whining thread and throw a few tweaks in. > > From [Food For Thought, Sites at Penn State: ](http://sites.psu.edu/lebold2012/2013/03/27/retarded-is-the-new-gay-rough-draft/) > > From [Disability Scoop, Rosa's Law October, 2010:](https://www.disabilityscoop.com/2010/10/05/obama-signs-rosas-law/10547/) > > The word retard, with reference to mental disability, began harmlessly enough as a clinical term, but it didn't stay that way. It very quickly became an insult to imply mental deficiency in people who did not have a clinical condition. It is considered so offensive by those people who possess mental disabilities and their families, that federal legislation was enacted to remove the word. The word "retard" literally does not exist any longer in any federal policy. That should tell you that it's a seriously offensive word if the House of Representatives, the Senate and the President of the United States ALL unanimously approved the law to strike its use. > > And while the term retard is no longer an accepted MEDICAL diagnosis, the definition of the word does still include that of a mentally handicapped person in all major dictionaries. Simply because it was removed as a medical diagnosis does not obliterate the meaning of the word, nor does it change the offensive meaning that it holds for the people that it is used against. > > So, I have to ask you. When someone calls someone else a retard in a match... are they making a clinical diagnosis of intellectual disability? Or are they using it as a synonym for slow, moronic, idiotic or stupid? Because that's the two options. And unless they are asking a lot of other questions in that chat log to back up that clinical diagnosis, it's pretty safe to say that they are meaning it as the latter. Which is 100% intended to be offensive, and is all the evidence that Riot needs. The word is the evidence. Especially when they follow it up with things like "downie" or "fucking retard." There's no question in these cases that it's offensive. There's no excuse that can be provided for why it was okay for them to use the slur. It's never okay. These words are hateful, harmful, and should never be used so irreverently by immature brats online because they get pissed off at another player. > > It's sad that players would rather complain about how the rules are unfair, rather than simply own up to the fact that they did or said something wrong, and accept the consequences. And I know that you personally didn't, I'm not referring to you specifically with that, just the barrage of players who come here posting angry threads about how they were "unfairly banned" that are filled with hate speech. Sometimes I just want to tell them to suck it up and be a man. We all say things from time to time and get called out on it. Yeah, it's embarrassing. It's called being a teenager. But it's better to own up to it and focus our energies on not repeating the mistakes, rather than whining about how we got caught in the first place. > > -------------------------------------------------------- > _formerly VentressRedeemed_ And I have a question for you, is being called dumb or an idiot bannable? Or any of the other words that retard stands for? ...No. You can't. Riot will never ban you for calling someone dumb. Retard doesn't even mean that someone is super-mega-hyper-extra dumb, it just means dumb. Riot is a very inconsistent company when it comes to things like this, and on the issue of the word retard they are very wrong. Also, this post wasn't a whining thread. It was addressing an issue. Riot is banning people for saying something that, factually speaking, carries no offensive implications anymore. It doesn't matter if the masses say it does, when you look at what it means now, it's not what it meant 5 years ago.
: > [{quoted}](name=Annies Anus,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=HXVJPjp0,comment-id=00050000,timestamp=2018-02-07T23:53:28.185+0000) > > The N-word and F-word never being medical terms literally only proves my case. The word "retard" use to mean that you were... mentally retarded. It doesn't anymore. It's dictionary description has changed. It's a different word now than what it was. You cannot say that for the N and F word. Those words have always been offensive terms, and have never had a change in definition. The fact that it was taken out of the medical terms makes it more offensive. It used to be in the medical terminology list but it fell out of favor due to the use of it. If it was still the medically proper term, then it would be less offensive, but you go out of your way to point out that it is no longer used in the medical community. This means you are knowingly and intentionally calling someone a name that implies they have a mental handicap by an improper word... which could be viewed as intentionally calling someone a derogatory term for someone who has a developmental disability. When it was in the medical lexicon, you could point to the sterile textbook term and get away with out it being offensive because it had an intellectual use to describe a person, concepts, or object. Now, it only has an intellectual use in describing concepts and objects like ritardando in music is to retard the tempo or describe objects/things like saying that chemical is a flame retardant, which extinguishes or slows the spread of fire.
> [{quoted}](name=YerroFever,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=HXVJPjp0,comment-id=000500000001,timestamp=2018-02-08T00:50:09.802+0000) > > The fact that it was taken out of the medical terms makes it more offensive. It used to be in the medical terminology list but it fell out of favor due to the use of it. If it was still the medically proper term, then it would be less offensive, but you go out of your way to point out that it is no longer used in the medical community. > > This means you are knowingly and intentionally calling someone a name that implies they have a mental handicap by an improper word... which could be viewed as intentionally calling someone a derogatory term for someone who has a developmental disability. > > When it was in the medical lexicon, you could point to the sterile textbook term and get away with out it being offensive because it had an intellectual use. But when it had an intellectual use... it meant something lmfao. It's gone back to it's meaning before it was a medical term, it's just that Riot and apparently 99% of it's community are ignorant and can't understand that words and meaning can change.
: Reasons your argument is weak: 1) Inserting the current year does not validate an argument. "It's 2018, why can't I be a total shit-head?" 2) We both know that you were not using the word "retarded" to insinuate that the individual was "held back, slow or delayed", rather you were using it as a pejorative. If you had said, "this Riven has really retarded the gold income of our team" then that /might/ be one thing, but I will absolutely guarantee that you did NOT say that. 3) To determine if something you are saying in game is appropriate, ask yourself the following, "would someone be inclined to punch me in the face if I said that to them in real life?" Repeatedly call someone retarded in the real world and see what the consequences happen to be and then report back with your findings. Even if they don't punch you, I'm certain that they (unless they are your friends, family or acquaintances) will very likely not take too kindly to it. 4) >Why can you get banned for saying something that use to mean something offensive when it doesn't anymore? Any offense taken by it now is just the person being uninformed and thinking that it still means that you are mentally retarded. Words have more than one meaning, even if they are not officially utilized clinically, their meaning and sociological understanding are still well-known and understood. I'm sure you believe yourself to be incredibly clever for coming up with this post, but let me asuage you of that notion, you're not... it's been tried on the forums/boards before and was articulated far more eloquently, but it was just as invalid then as it is now. Mind you, this isn't MY PERSONAL view, this is the position that Riot takes on the matter. If I ran this game, nothing---other than real world death threats (as they are against the law) would be punishable and people would say whatever they like, but that's not how Riot wants to operate, so either you abide by the rules or don't and suffer the consequences.
> [{quoted}](name=Scary Door,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=HXVJPjp0,comment-id=0013,timestamp=2018-02-08T00:49:14.866+0000) > > Reasons your argument is weak: > > 1) Inserting the current year does not validate an argument. "It's 2018, why can't I be a total shit-head?" > > 2) We both know that you were not using the word "retarded" to insinuate that the individual was "held back, slow or delayed", rather you were using it as a pejorative. If you had said, "this Riven has really retarded the gold income of our team" then that /might/ be one thing, but I will absolutely guarantee that you did NOT say that. > > 3) To determine if something you are saying in game is appropriate, ask yourself the following, "would someone be inclined to punch me in the face if I said that to them in real life?" Repeatedly call someone retarded in the real world and see what the consequences happen to be and then report back with your findings. Even if they don't punch you, I'm certain that they (unless they are your friends, family or acquaintances) will very likely not take too kindly to it. > > 4) > > Words have more than one meaning, even if they are not officially utilized clinically, their meaning and sociological understanding are still well-known and understood. > > I'm sure you believe yourself to be incredibly clever for coming up with this post, but let me asuage you of that notion, you're not... it's been tried on the forums/boards before and was articulated far more eloquently, but it was just as invalid then as it is now. > > Mind you, this isn't MY PERSONAL view, this is the position that Riot takes on the matter. If I ran this game, nothing---other than real world death threats (as they are against the law) would be punishable and people would say whatever they like, but that's not how Riot wants to operate, so either you abide by the rules or don't and suffer the consequences. LMFAO you accuse me of trying to be clever with this post, meanwhile you are using every word from r / iamverysmart posts in the book. It does matter that the words definition changed. You are... held back... if you think otherwise. It doesn't matter how someone is using the word, what matters is the word itself in this case, and in this case, the word retarded has literally 0 implications of being offensive, therefore it is not an offensive word. It doesn't matter that 95% of people find it offensive, it factually is not offensive.
Xidphel (NA)
: What does the majority of the playerbase have to say about that word? Will they think you're right or wrong? Their answer will determine if that word is toxic in this game. Not you.
> [{quoted}](name=Xidphel,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=HXVJPjp0,comment-id=001000000000,timestamp=2018-02-08T00:41:15.680+0000) > > What does the majority of the playerbase have to say about that word? Will they think you're right or wrong? Their answer will determine if that word is toxic in this game. Not you. No, it doesn't matter what the player base thinks. The word is FACTUALLY non-offensive. That doesn't mean that no one can be offended by it, but it does mean that the word itself is free from offensive implications now, as opposed to 5+ years ago.
Kei143 (NA)
: It's even more offensive now than before. People are much more aware to mental illness insults nowadays, and they know that such insults are not welcome.
> [{quoted}](name=Kei143,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=HXVJPjp0,comment-id=0012,timestamp=2018-02-08T00:45:19.011+0000) > > It's even more offensive now than before. People are much more aware to mental illness insults nowadays, and they know that such insults are not welcome. You didn't even read the post did you?... It's not a mental illness anymore... mental retardation is now called having an "intellectual disability." Retard is not a medical term anymore... so it's not even actually an insult anymore, even though people think it's really insulting.
Ahri Baka (EUNE)
: Sorry but no , if you use that word , then you also used other insulting words, in genrall it's an insult , and not all people can accept " including me " I literally report everyone who uses it.
> [{quoted}](name=Hikari Sakata,realm=EUNE,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=HXVJPjp0,comment-id=0011,timestamp=2018-02-08T00:33:14.985+0000) > > Sorry but no , if you use that word , then you also used other insulting words, in genrall it's an insult , and not all people can accept " including me " > I literally report everyone who uses it. It's not fair to say that, as you can't verify that. No one can except Riot, and they never would. And the word has literally 0 offensive implications anymore, there is no reason to report for it. It's no longer an offensive term.
: Uhm... if they get offended by it, that means by definition that it is, in fact, OFFENSIVE.
> [{quoted}](name=OnlyYouCanHearMe,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=HXVJPjp0,comment-id=000400000000,timestamp=2018-02-08T00:38:50.879+0000) > > Uhm... if they get offended by it, that means by definition that it is, in fact, OFFENSIVE. Lol, if you think that's how it works i feel bad for you. If what you said were true then literally everything on earth would be offensive, thus making nothing offensive. People can be offended by something that is not offensive. That's whats going on here. The word "retard" has 0 offensive implications anymore. So the word is not offensive. That doesn't mean no one can be offended by it, but it does mean that if we are speaking literally, it's not an offensive term.
: I deleted it because that statement wasn't going to do anything but detract from your main argument.
> [{quoted}](name=Periscope,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=HXVJPjp0,comment-id=00020002000000000000,timestamp=2018-02-08T00:26:58.514+0000) > > I deleted it because that statement wasn't going to do anything but detract from your main argument. There argument literally proves my point exactly. Something they find offensive isn't bannable. Saying Oh my God or Jesus Christ are not offensive phrases, so there is no punishment for using them. Similarly, calling someone retarded is not an offensive word. The word has a different meaning, and although, yes, you can still be offended by it, the word itself has 0 offensive implications anymore.
Ulanopo (NA)
: You keep trying to convince people the word isn't an insult, all the while ignoring the fact that it isn't an insult _**TO YOU**_, which changes nothing at all about how other people use, perceive or feel about the word.
> [{quoted}](name=Ulanopo,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=HXVJPjp0,comment-id=0010,timestamp=2018-02-08T00:23:55.400+0000) > > You keep trying to convince people the word isn't an insult, all the while ignoring the fact that it isn't an insult _**TO YOU**_, which changes nothing at all about how other people use, perceive or feel about the word. And you keep failing to see that... it doesn't matter what people think. If someone said I was a "saggy cardboard box" and I found that really offensive should they get banned? No. Because calling someone that isn't offensive. It factually is not an offensive term (or phrase in this case). That doesn't mean that you can't get offended by it, but it does mean that the term isn't offensive. Retard is the literal same exact way. Retard is not an offensive term anymore. You can still get offended by the use of it, but that doesn't change the fact that it doesn't mean anything offensive anymore.
: I find people using God's name in vain to be far more offensive than any kind of thing that gets you banned from LoL yet people do it all the time. I can report them all I want but they will never be banned. Where is the justice for me?
> [{quoted}](name=AlienPrimate,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=HXVJPjp0,comment-id=00020002,timestamp=2018-02-08T00:19:36.960+0000) > > I find people using God's name in vain to be far more offensive than any kind of thing that gets you banned from LoL yet people do it all the time. I can report them all I want but they will never be banned. Where is the justice for me? There is no justice. There never will be any. Riot support were gave a list of things that were offensive to them 9 years ago and are still using that same list today. It doesn't matter if definitions change, because Riot is too ignorant to ever look into anything that isn't going to make them any money.
: ***
Jesus Christ dude don't replace the letters of out holy lord and savior with __'s. I'm offended. And because I'm offended, even though you didn't actually say something offensive, you will be banned.
: Why can you still get banned for saying "retarded" in 2018?
The community reacting to my post like this is exactly the reason why Riot is so ignorant on the matter. Everyone wants to blindly think that "retarded was offensive 5 years ago so it is offensive now" when in reality is definition changed in that period of time. It doesn't matter if something offends you, it matters if something is offensive. Some people might cry if I called them a turkey eater, but then in reality is that offensive? No. It's not. The same goes for the word "retard". Some people might cry if you call them retarded, probably more than would cry if you called them a turkey eater, but when you look at what the word actually means now, it's not offensive. This primitive thinking has clearly spread from Riot to the majority of the community, and is one of many many reasons why League is on the decline.
Naramiel (NA)
: I realize you're being intentionally obtuse, but I'll bite. In terms of Riot reports, hate speech is not hate speech because it's insulting to the _player_, but because it's _insulting to a whole category of humanity_. If I were to call you "dumb" in-game, I might get punished, but if that's all I said I probably wouldn't. Whereas if I used a slur, I probably **would** get punished. In either case, I am attempting to insult you, but in one I'm also using a term that is derogatory to a whole section of the population. THAT is the reason "retarded" is hate speech - because its purpose colloquially (and when your friend used it) is as a slur against people who have a certain category of mental problems.
> [{quoted}](name=Naramiel,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=HXVJPjp0,comment-id=000b,timestamp=2018-02-08T00:01:22.571+0000) > > I realize you're being intentionally obtuse, but I'll bite. > > In terms of Riot reports, hate speech is not hate speech because it's insulting to the _player_, but because it's _insulting to a whole category of humanity_. If I were to call you "dumb" in-game, I might get punished, but if that's all I said I probably wouldn't. Whereas if I used a slur, I probably **would** get punished. In either case, I am attempting to insult you, but in one I'm also using a term that is derogatory to a whole section of the population. > > THAT is the reason "retarded" is hate speech - because its purpose colloquially (and when your friend used it) is as a slur against people who have a certain category of mental problems. Yes, I agree, but the definition is changed. Like if i said to someone on my team, "you have bad breath," it would literally be more offensive than calling him retarded. Saying someone has bad breath is meant to be, and is offensive. Saying someone is retarded is meant to be, but is not offensive. People just do not understand that the words definition has changed. I don't that that players should be punished because of Riot's ignorance.
: I agree, Riot has taken possibly the worst approach to governing player behavior: rather than placing more emphasis on the power of individual players to mute and block, they've taken the sledgehammer approach to eradicating "toxicity" (read: bad words). this is somewhat understandable given concerns over League's image as a game/community, but it's pretty fucked up how heavily speech is policed. sadly many people are on board with it, as is evident in this thread.
> [{quoted}](name=KING OF MASKS,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=HXVJPjp0,comment-id=0009,timestamp=2018-02-07T23:55:22.068+0000) > > I agree, Riot has taken possibly the worst approach to governing player behavior; sadly many people are on board with it, as is evident in this thread Exactly. Like... Riot is punishing people for saying something that had it's meaning changed over 5 years ago. Why should someone be punished because Riot is ignorant?
: But you are picking and choosing what definition you want to apply, rather than what's generally accepted. Among a group of strangers in a game, we're not gonna buy that you mean to slow down...because you could have just said slow down. Just because the first thing that pops into google supports your definition of the word, doesn't mean the word was never used in a hateful sense, or that it isn't currently used as an insult.
> [{quoted}](name=Periscope,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=HXVJPjp0,comment-id=000600000000,timestamp=2018-02-07T23:59:54.011+0000) > > But you are picking and choosing what definition you want to apply, rather than what's generally accepted. Among a group of strangers in a game, we're not gonna buy that you mean to slow down...because you could have just said slow down. > > Just because the first thing that pops into google supports your definition of the word, doesn't mean the word was never used in a hateful sense, or that it isn't currently used as an insult. That's not just the first thing that pops into google though... like scroll down why don't yah. It's literally ever post on google. The word retarded doesn't mean what it use to, so Riot shouldn't treat it like it does.
: Words develop different meanings over time. A good example is gay. Although it's not an offensive word, it used to mean happy or joyful. Retard, as you said, used to be a medical term, but now it's used to be harsh. Also, the way that a word is used and the way you say it will change the way people take it. If you and I were talking, not writing, and I sarcastically called you retarded you would know that I was joking and you would more than likely giggle. But, with the only way to communicate in this game being text, there is no way someone can understand how you were using the word and what type of tone you were using. With the level of toxicity in this game being very high most of the time, people will take the word that you say to be insulting. Your best bet is to not call anyone retarded.
> [{quoted}](name=Puabs,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=HXVJPjp0,comment-id=0004,timestamp=2018-02-07T23:41:43.627+0000) > > Words develop different meanings over time. A good example is gay. Although it's not an offensive word, it used to mean happy or joyful. Retard, as you said, used to be a medical term, but now it's used to be harsh. Also, the way that a word is used and the way you say it will change the way people take it. If you and I were talking, not writing, and I sarcastically called you retarded you would know that I was joking and you would more than likely giggle. But, with the only way to communicate in this game being text, there is no way someone can understand how you were using the word and what type of tone you were using. > > With the level of toxicity in this game being very high most of the time, people will take the word that you say to be insulting. Your best bet is to not call anyone retarded. Yeah I understand that, but that doesn't the fact that at the end of the day calling someone retarded isn't actually offensive. They might get offended by it, but in literally terms it is not offensive.
: It doesn't matter so much what the insult does or does not mean, the punishment is for meaning to insult them in the first place. The idea is for people to say positive things about other players in their games or nothing at all.
> [{quoted}](name=Tenth Leper,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=HXVJPjp0,comment-id=000a,timestamp=2018-02-07T23:55:38.448+0000) > > It doesn't matter so much what the insult does or does not mean, the punishment is for meaning to insult them in the first place. The idea is for people to say positive things about other players in their games or nothing at all. Ok but if that was true and I called someone a Buffalo, I would 100% bet my life not get banned. That's why what you said isn't at all true in Riot's case.
: > [{quoted}](name=Annies Anus,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=HXVJPjp0,comment-id=0001000000000000,timestamp=2018-02-07T23:47:51.783+0000) > > Yes but that it 100% subjective. To me someone calling me an onion could be the worst possible thing imaginable. But then when you look at what the word onion means, it has no offensive implications. The word "retarded" has no offensive implications in its meaning anymore. People just don't know that, so they treat it as if it still means what it did 5+ years ago. When a huge population of people consider it offensive- it is. And even if it's not a medical term anymore, it still has a history. Also, what Jo0o said.
> [{quoted}](name=Scuffleboard,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=HXVJPjp0,comment-id=00010000000000000000,timestamp=2018-02-07T23:52:44.515+0000) > > When a huge population of people consider it offensive- it is. And even if it's not a medical term anymore, it still has a history. > > Also, what Jo0o said. No, that's not how things work though. Especially not in terms of legality. If you mirror this argument with any court case of similar condition, I win it every time. This only mean what they literally mean. That's all the government cares about. If someone says something that offends you and what they said is not actually an offensive term, you will have literally 0 penalties.
Chermorg (NA)
: It doesn't have to be a medical term? Last I checked, the "n word" and "f word" were **never** medical terms. Heck, the "r word" was actually only *slightly* acceptable when it *was* a medical term. The common use of the word "r-ed" or "r----d" is to mean someone with mental illness. The only proper use of the word in a scientific meaning nowadays is to say "retardant" - as in something that retards something else (ex: fire retardant). Even then, it has fallen out of use to say the fire was retarded by the retardant. ---- The TLDR - the word is not acceptable, and is still hate speech.
> [{quoted}](name=Chermorg,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=HXVJPjp0,comment-id=0005,timestamp=2018-02-07T23:42:17.688+0000) > > It doesn't have to be a medical term? Last I checked, the "n word" and "f word" were **never** medical terms. Heck, the "r word" was actually only *slightly* acceptable when it *was* a medical term. > > The common use of the word "r-ed" or "r----d" is to mean someone with mental illness. The only proper use of the word in a scientific meaning nowadays is to say "retardant" - as in something that retards something else (ex: fire retardant). Even then, it has fallen out of use to say the fire was retarded by the retardant. > > ---- > The TLDR - the word is not acceptable, and is still hate speech. The N-word and F-word never being medical terms literally only proves my case. The word "retard" use to mean that you were... mentally retarded. It doesn't anymore. It's dictionary description has changed. It's a different word now than what it was. You cannot say that for the N and F word. Those words have always been offensive terms, and have never had a change in definition.
Jo0o (NA)
: Better question: It's 2018, why are you still using "retarded" as an insult? *Even better* question: It's 2018, why are you still insulting people on the internet? Jesus, just mute idiots and move on. Pathetic arguments mid-game have tanked so many of my recent matches. There's no fucking point in insulting your fellow players. If they're bad, they're bad.
> [{quoted}](name=Jo0o,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=HXVJPjp0,comment-id=0007,timestamp=2018-02-07T23:50:07.192+0000) > > Better question: It's 2018, why are you still using "retarded" as an insult? > > *Even better* question: It's 2018, why are you still insulting people on the internet? Jesus, just mute idiots and move on. Pathetic arguments mid-game have tanked so many of my recent matches. There's no fucking point in insulting your fellow players. If they're bad, they're bad. I'm not the one even doing it, so I couldn't tell you why.
: "Retard" does mean delay, hold back, slow, etc. but it has been used more frequently to refer to mentally/intellectually disabled persons, as well as an insult to a person's intelligence. You're lumping yourself with others who try to redefine a homophobic slur to mean "a bundle of sticks," when it's clearly not intended to be that.
> [{quoted}](name=Periscope,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=HXVJPjp0,comment-id=0006,timestamp=2018-02-07T23:47:06.099+0000) > > "Retard" does mean delay, hold back, slow, etc. but it has been used more frequently to refer to mentally/intellectually disabled persons, as well as an insult to a person's intelligence. > > You're lumping yourself with others who try to redefine a homophobic slur to mean "a bundle of sticks," when it's clearly not intended to be that. No Periscope. You are wrong. I am not at all trying to pull that "bundle of sticks" garbage. The word "retard" had a medical registration change... so the word actually changed from meaning "mentally retarded" to something else. People who are what we use to call "mentally retarded" are now called "intellectually disabled." There was a factual change in the words being switch. That's why the bundle of sticks argument doesn't work at all here.
: > [{quoted}](name=Annies Anus,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=HXVJPjp0,comment-id=00010000,timestamp=2018-02-07T23:42:53.803+0000) > > I got the idea that that's not an insult anymore from the fact that the word has a completely different meaning now. The word itself is in literally no way offensive anymore. People just presume it's still offensive so they treat it like it is. > > If everyone started called each other Buffalo's would that be offensive? No. Because that stands for nothing offensive. Neither does the word retarded anymore. If people consider it offensive, then it is offensive. That's the whole reason anything is offensive- because people believe it is.
> [{quoted}](name=Scuffleboard,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=HXVJPjp0,comment-id=000100000000,timestamp=2018-02-07T23:45:04.165+0000) > > If people consider it offensive, then it is offensive. That's the whole reason anything is offensive- because people believe it is. Yes but that it 100% subjective. To me someone calling me an onion could be the worst possible thing imaginable. But then when you look at what the word onion means, it has no offensive implications. The word "retarded" has no offensive implications in its meaning anymore. People just don't know that, so they treat it as if it still means what it did 5+ years ago.
: Because it is a highly offensive insult, you know exactly what it means and why you got banned. Semantics dont give you a free pass in the real world. Or anywhere, really. Incidentally a '%%%got' is technically a piece of wood, suitable for a fireplace. You fucked up, learn from it and maybe learn some respect.
> [{quoted}](name=MagicFlyingLlama,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=HXVJPjp0,comment-id=0002,timestamp=2018-02-07T23:39:11.761+0000) > > Because it is a highly offensive insult, you know exactly what it means and why you got banned. > > Semantics dont give you a free pass in the real world. Or anywhere, really. > > Incidentally a '%%%got' is technically a piece of wood, suitable for a fireplace. > > You fucked up, learn from it and maybe learn some respect. It's not offensive at all though lol. The word doesn't mean anything offensive at all anymore, people just don't understand that it's definition changed when it left the medical registry, so they treat it like it never changed, when in realty it did. And I didn't get banned from say it. My friend did. Don't tell me to learn some respect when you don't even know what happened. Also don't blindly defend something you don't understand at all.
: Dude, I don't know where you got the idea that that's not an insult anymore, but a wide portion of the League community treats it as one, so...
> [{quoted}](name=Scuffleboard,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=HXVJPjp0,comment-id=0001,timestamp=2018-02-07T23:38:31.293+0000) > > Dude, I don't know where you got the idea that that's not an insult anymore, but a wide portion of the League community treats it as one, so... I got the idea that that's not an insult anymore from the fact that the word has a completely different meaning now. The word itself is in literally no way offensive anymore. People just presume it's still offensive so they treat it like it is. If everyone started called each other Buffalo's would that be offensive? No. Because that stands for nothing offensive. Neither does the word retarded anymore.
Rioter Comments
Jad (NA)
: I still think the Ornn W change is bs. Being unstoppable isn't his problem, it's the damage/cd. You literally just got rid of a way for good Ornn players to show any skill or outplay.
farming upvotes by quoting reddit, nicely meme'd.

Annies Nipples

Level 35 (NA)
Lifetime Upvotes
Create a Discussion