: After reading back through all the comments, I think I've figured it out. RANKED players who are careful, watch their CS, and are retentive about their KDA often get S far more than anyone else. A casual like me who spams ARAM for fun and doesn't worry about dying but is generally a nice guy? I get a lot of key fragments for lots of honor, and quick games. My performance earns me a lot of keys, but no chests. You play summoner's rift for 45 minutes and get an S but no honor? Lack of keys. I can play 2 ARAMs for every summoner's rift you do. If we both behave the same, I still get more keys because I have 8 other people voting for me potentially, and you only have 4.
To a point, this can be true. But I play mostly ARAM. And I find that I get an average of about 1-2 S games on ARAM every week. But it's NOT about skill or anything. It's quite literally just luck of the draw. 15 games of getting a tank and frontlining and dying 20 times a game, and 5 games of getting a squishy vs. a team full of tanks protecting 1 ADC and dying 20 times a game, and then I luck my way into Katarina vs. a team full of squishy, immobile champs while I have a great line of initiators and I got 28/3. I have played exactly 11 games on Summoner's Rift in the last 3 months. 10 placements (because they were giving a million XP in a quest for doing them) and 1 more game randomly since. And I truly find that S on ARAM is less about proficiency and more about luck of the draw. Sooner or later you're bound to get that perfect team comp that will let you pounce on kills endlessly while remaining mostly safe.
: > [{quoted}](name=Chermorg,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=XhuqG2RJ,comment-id=00020000000000000000,timestamp=2018-01-25T02:48:04.601+0000) > > This isn't jaywalking though. Jaywalking only affects you. You aren't punished in League for doing something insignificant. > > Someone is not permanently banned unless they either show *extreme* abuse of communications, or *constant* refusal to behave well. 2 games out of 100 is *NOT* okay. There is **NO** level of acceptable toxicity. It may get overlooked if it's *extremely* infrequent, but that does not mean it's okay. No someone is banned for violating the rules as little as 5 times no matter how meagerly. If no level is acceptable then you simply are telling us you believe everyone has to be perfect or leave. That is what is unacceptable. No one has the ability to be perfect and no one should have to be. How often you are bad and good should matter and how hard you try to improve should matter. How extreme your violation is should also matter.
> [{quoted}](name=Bewitching Zoe,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=XhuqG2RJ,comment-id=000200000000000000000000,timestamp=2018-01-25T02:58:07.168+0000) > > No someone is banned for violating the rules as little as 5 times no matter how meagerly. If no level is acceptable then you simply are telling us you believe everyone has to be perfect or leave. > > That is what is unacceptable. No one has the ability to be perfect and no one should have to be. How often you are bad and good should matter and how hard you try to improve should matter. How extreme your violation is should also matter. Been playing since season one (on and off). Have never even been chat restricted. It really, honestly, truly doesn't take a whole lot of self control to NOT hit the enter key and type passive-aggressive (or outright abusive) text. Why does everyone who gets punished act like it's such a horribly taxing effort NOT to be nasty to others?
: Orange Essence
Orange essence isn't as easy to get as it used to be. If those two skins are what you have, I suggest disenchanting both and saving the orange essence until you get a skin you're actually excited for. Trust me, it's better to save it. I have a skin I want to unlock that costs over 2000 Orange Essence to unlock, and it will take me MONTHS of winning chests and disenchanting their contents before I can do it. But to answer your question, no. You can't use Orange Essence to buy anything. It is used to unlock skin shards in hextech crafting. That's all.
proliarides (EUNE)
: Is this worth 14 days?
Well, telling someone to kill themselves over a game is about as toxic and uncalled for as it gets. I'm surprised you weren't permabanned straight away. You did it twice. I've heard that more than once can jump straight to perma-ban. But perhaps that's just misinformation. But the point is, maybe you didn't literally mean that they should log off and go kill themselves, but that's what you said. And you said it over a GAME. So yes, you deserved the ban. And the muteall strategy may be your best bet going forward. If you're the type with issues about impulse control, you might also consider unbinding the enter key so you can't bring up the chat at all.
: Who are you people that keep getting tons of keys and no chests I always end up with 8-10 chests per season and no keys
> [{quoted}](name=Furious Delisha,realm=NA,application-id=3ErqAdtq,discussion-id=L0JAKs84,comment-id=0000,timestamp=2018-01-28T11:26:11.138+0000) > > Who are you people that keep getting tons of keys and no chests > > I always end up with 8-10 chests per season and no keys This. I am ALWAYS short of keys. I reliably earn one chest every week. Usually within a day or two of when it becomes available. But I NEVER get the four keys per month that Riot claims the system gives. Which leads to a steady buildup of 1-2 chests per month that I will never get to open (because I refuse to spend real money on keys that open RNG prizes). I think a better question is: Why do we have keys at all? The content of hextech chests is gated two other ways. You only can earn 1 free chest per week. They come back at a rate of 1/week, so once you've won them all, you're permanently stuck at a max of 1/week. Second, any content you get out of them is gated behind accumulating and spending essence. I have a few skins in my inventory that I would LOVE to unlock. It will take me months of earning chests and disenchanting their contents to actually unlock them both. But why the keys? This is a legitimate question. Riot claims that you should be earning enough key fragments each month to unlock all four chests it's possible to win. So if this is the case... if they're going to give us enough key fragments for free each month to open all the chests we can win, why are keys even a thing? Why can't we just open the chests when we get them? They could easily just change the honor system so that at honor 0 you can't win chests. Which seems like a better punishment for toxic players anyway. I think keys are pointless. The chests should just be openable when you win them. It's not like you could open more than one every week anyway. Plus, as I said, I think the key fragment drops are broken. I've received 5 fragments this month (and I'm not on any form of punishment and never have been). Won 4 chests in 4 weeks. I managed to open only one of them this month. So unless I'm going to receive 7 fragments in the next three days, I didn't get the fragments I was supposed to.
: Premade 4 bullies
The system for reports is automated now. If someone reports you, the system will call up YOUR chat log (no one else's) and review everything you said. If your chat matches what the system knows as flaming, negative attitude, or hate speech, you will be punished. If someone reports you and you never said anything negative (or never said anything at all), the system won't be able to find anything to punish you for. And you're fine. If you are getting flamed, mute everyone, say nothing, and play the game. Do not argue back. Do not defend yourself. Do not ask other people to report your abusers (whatever your reason for doing it, asking for reports falls under bullying - essentially you're threatening to get someone punished if they don't do what you want). Personally, for more than 18 months now, I have started every game by using the mute all feature. There are pings to communicate anything game-related that you could possibly need to say to your team. And not listening to other players argue and flame each other makes the game much more enjoyable to play. You might want to try the same. Mute everyone, block the drama, and focus fully on your play. And if you're the type of person who has a hard time resisting the urge to defend yourself, you may want to go into the hotkeys and unbind the key that opens chat. Remove your ability to respond entirely. That way you're safe.
: Perma bans for behavior
People who can't control their temper or their need to abuse other players should find better things to do with their time. For example: Anger therapy. But they absolutely SHOULD be permabanned. It's very simple. To play the game, you have to accept an agreement that says (in part, and paraphrased for simplicity) "I will not flame, harass, or otherwise be a douche to other players. If I do these things, Riot has the right to suspend or terminate my account". If they break that agreement, they get punished. If they do it frequently enough, their account is terminated. Whether they paid money or not is irrelevant. They broke the agreement, they accept the punishment they agreed to. It never ceases to amaze me how many people argue and complain about getting exactly what they agreed to receive for doing what they did. In my view, it's the flamers who get repeatedly banned and then cry about it that are the real "snowflakes." They think that they should be allowed to be a douche to anyone they want, say and do whatever they like, and suffer no consequences for it. Sounds a lot like they think they are "special and unique", doesn't it?
: A Support Rant
Welcome to the reason why all 19 of the former support mains I befriended 3 seasons ago no longer play support, and several just don't play. Support is at somehow at fault for EVERYTHING that goes wrong. And gets zero recognition for anything that goes right. Most of us got sick of the abuse. There was a time when I liked playing support. Now I do it only when autofilled. I understand the same applies to junglers. Somehow they get blamed for everything and thanked for nothing.
scazzman (NA)
: "quality of life" changes to player behavior and matchmaking that would reduce toxicity
You had my support until the "prevent /muteall before 5 minutes" part. I mute all every game. And it has made this game 1,000 times more enjoyable. If they instituted a delay on muting all, I'd stop playing. I don't care what anyone has to say. Chat is NEVER, EVER used for anything positive anyway.
Rioter Comments
Jamaree (NA)
: They aren't going to do anything like that because they don't want to give their premium content away for free easily.
> [{quoted}](name=Jamaree,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=OnfP2nlv,comment-id=0000,timestamp=2018-01-10T10:47:43.855+0000) > > They aren't going to do anything like that because they don't want to give their premium content away for free easily. They already are giving things away. Which is nice of them. Those shards are in my inventory. It's only a matter of time before they're unlocked. And it isn't easy. It's already locked behind chests, key fragments, orange essence, and RNG (one of which, keys, I feel is completely unnecessary, but that's another discussion altogether). But it's not like you can just go and use orange essence to buy any skin shard you want. You have to get lucky enough to pull a good shard out of the RNG first. And chests may be easy to win for really good players, but for me, it's a season-long grind to earn the chests I get. It's not easy. At all. And the BE to OE trade was only the first idea they had. Maybe they could allow people to disenchant their mastery shards for OE. At least that way you could only get OE by having a champ at mastery 5+, getting an S or better, etc. There are several ideas that easily come to mind. I was just wondering if anyone could think of something workable that could speed up the process. Especially since I don't understand why the OE gained for disenchanting shards was lowered to begin with.
Rioter Comments
: Soo i never once directly insulted you i thanked you for doing it for me. > And if you post the same argument twice, once with perfect spelling and a clearly-worded, thoughtful approach, and the other full of spelling errors, random tangents and broad insults, I'll give you two guesses which one will be taken more seriously. But you should only need one. Nice tangent that has nothing to do with what is being discussed.
Wow. Just wow. Given that reading comprehension is obviously not your strong suit, I'm just going to see my way out of this thread now. But thank you for the laughs.
: Thanks for showing your lack of intelligence and exposure, aswell as blatant ignorance. A simple google search can provide you with a myriad of studies that show spelling ability is not linked to intelligence.
And if you post the same argument twice, once with perfect spelling and a clearly-worded, thoughtful approach, and the other full of spelling errors, random tangents and broad insults, I'll give you two guesses which one will be taken more seriously. But you should only need one. But thanks for the random insults. I needed a good laugh, given that I can't take you seriously to begin with. Feel free to follow with more. I enjoy when trolls lash out at me thinking that their bs will actually hurt. It's funny in a sad and pathetic sort of way. {{sticker:slayer-pantheon-popcorn}}
: I dont please explain the same way i have done for everyone that has replied.
Look at your two posts immediately above mine. You post, and then respond to your OWN post, adding the line "Can you point out one of those false correlations for me?" and then tacking on a second reply below that. Which looks an awful lot like you're calling yourself out on something you yourself said. Unless you meant for there to be another quote there and copied your own post by mistake instead.
Hibeki (NA)
: Lets be honest here. MAYBE .1% of the community are not adults. Riot knows this too, when they started putting in all these gambling systems (Yes the crates and RNG rewards are gambling) So lets throw the whole 'kids game' thing right out the window. I get you aren't against me, but if you realized that if you learned from your mistakes people wouldn't flame you in the first place.
> [{quoted}](name=Hibeki,realm=NA,application-id=3ErqAdtq,discussion-id=AAy1EOfW,comment-id=0000000000000000000000000000000000000000,timestamp=2018-01-02T02:07:53.072+0000) > > Lets be honest here. MAYBE .1% of the community are not adults. Riot knows this too, when they started putting in all these gambling systems (Yes the crates and RNG rewards are gambling) So lets throw the whole 'kids game' thing right out the window. > > I get you aren't against me, but if you realized that if you learned from your mistakes people wouldn't flame you in the first place. If you want to be honest, then let's really be honest. A subset of people in general are such horrible human beings that they will flame/troll just for the sheer joy of ruining someone's day. I've known my fair share of true jerks with this mindset, both online and in real life. And I think the number of non-adults playing is higher than people think. Now by no means do I think it's even as high as 20%, but since I was in high school when I started playing, and my younger sister and a friend's younger brother (aged 13 and 14 respectively) both briefly played this game after seeing me play it, I think the number is much higher than a tenth of a percent. But even if it is as low as you say, I still think any reasonable person has to adjust their expectations for other peoples' rationality/maturity when playing a game rated 13+. Maybe there isn't a kid in every game. Maybe not even one kid in every 10 games. But there COULD be. If this game was rated for mature players only, I'd be MUCH more inclined to fall into the "grow up and stop crying about a little trash talk" camp. However, the age ratings being what they are, there is a definite possibility that any player a random flamer is insulting is just a kid. It MIGHT be an emotionally-unstable 13-year old living in an abusive home that Mr.Flamerguy is saying should end their life. Not likely, but there's no way to know. And I don't know about you, but I think this community would be much less toxic in general if people using the chat would ask this question before typing: "Would I scream this at a 13 year old in a crowded public place?" If the answer is no, then it's probably better to just refrain from typing it at all. But maybe I'm biased because my little sister really liked this GAME. Before I set her up with her own account, I let her play custom games vs. AI opponents for fun. But the flame/hostility she encountered for being a genuine noob drove her out in just barely over three weeks. I've seen what "helpful criticism" (read: toxicity and unwarranted hate) from an overly-aggressive jerk can do to someone who is both young and still inexperienced in this game. Expecting everyone to be mature and/or skilled at this game is unreasonable. It's a video game. Some people will be young. Some people will just simply be hot-headed/immature (even if technically adult) with a "I'm sick of you, so I'll int to cost you your win" mentality (which I'm not saying is good or right, and which SHOULD be punished, but I've literally seen players do it). Some people will just have an off game and play terribly. I generally have a positive KDA at the end of most of my games, but I've certainly been hard-stomped now and then. It happens to the best of us. I fail to see how REPEATEDLY pointing out people's mistakes and/or insulting them helps them play better (beyond the first HELPFUL pointer). I mean if someone gets ganked once because they didn't ward, suggesting (prerably politely, if only because people are more likely to listen to polite suggestions than insults) that they should ward the brush any time they push that far is helpful. Pointing out their worsening KDA and insulting them (0/4 top. Stop feeding loser) is much less so.
: > Also, can't you just see from experience how it negatively impacts games? The only time toxicity had ruined a game of mine is player a makes toxic statement player b responds ( in w.e way) player a becomes more toxic ( all the while still trying to win) player b sais "f this guy im not gonna try he dont deserve win" Who was the reason you could not win? Im sure in your twisted logic you think A is but B is the reason you lost, the game was winnable untill b, the non toxic player, gave up Btw its called context. Im only refering to people who blindly accept riots tos and don't question wheather its actually good practice. Can you point out one of those false correlations for me? > Lol comparing high risk, physical, real life sports being played for millions, to an online game made to be played by anyone on their leisure time Wait theres a thing called lcs? Wait players make a living from playing this game as pros and streamers? Wait all sports where started as leisurly past times?
Um... You realize you just called YOURSELF out on false correlations, right?
: Then your not very smart. I adressed each of your point individualy and explained how it's wrong or grounded in bad logic. For example a boss isnt gonna tell you how you can improve, not his job, and he will screach at you, ive had multiple bosses. That where more toxic than the shit u see in low elo. As far as your cumulitive effect point it comes down to this, ether you need to stop playin "competitive" games, because you cant seem to handle words on a screen OR find your mute button, or you need to play the "fun" game mode (aram,urf,...) and stop crying that people are calling you a feeder because your solo loosing them the game. > I'm fundamentally confused by your real-world workplace example. It sounds like you're insinuating that a League player can get banned for saying "you need to farm under turret, you can't be that far out" or similar. That's not true, and it's what your whole metaphor is hinging on. Theres not a single metaphor in my post, but if you have ever played a ranked game above gold 1 then you would know typing your statement 80% of the time will lead to an argument.
You shouldn't insult people's intelligence and then misspell half of your post. It undermines any point you're trying to make. Just a little constructive criticism for you. Either make sure your post is free of silly spelling errors or leave out the questions as to someone's level of intelligence.
Hibeki (NA)
: See that would hold merit, except thats not how the world works. The ideal world is that you respect everyone and the way they choose to live their lives. The only time this isn't meant to be true is when ones way to live their life is to inflict harm on others. Yes it violates the rule you set. But its necessary. That players actions do not effect only himself. I'm all for playing a video game however the fuck you want. Your eyes closed, controller up your ass, go for bud I dont give a shit. The problem starts when your actions start affecting other people. Then suddenly you cannot choose to act only how you want to, you forfeit that right and need to do whats best for the group as a whole. While I understand that that phrase can be applied to me as well, my words can be removed. Your play cannot. I don't have the power to remove you from my team. The mindset of 'play however the fuck you want' doesnt fit in a competitive environment. In professional sports you would never have a team or a career. The only reason it happens here is because people cant choose to remove you from the equation. When your actions start affecting other people is when the rule stops working both ways. This is indicative to everything in life, not just competitive sports play. It's why we have laws set for things like Drunk Driving, or heavy drugs. Because your actions can affect others lives, and when you choose to do so you lose that freedom.
> [{quoted}](name=Hibeki,realm=NA,application-id=3ErqAdtq,discussion-id=AAy1EOfW,comment-id=00000000000000000000000000000000,timestamp=2018-01-02T01:17:51.553+0000) > > The problem starts when your actions start affecting other people. Then suddenly you cannot choose to act only how you want to, you forfeit that right and need to do whats best for the group as a whole. > > While I understand that that phrase can be applied to me as well, my words can be removed. Your play cannot. > But again, (and understand, I'm not particularly AGAINST you on this subject... it would be nice if more people could take CONSTRUCTIVE criticism), your own argument also works against you. Yes, your words can be muted so that they don't have to deal with any further criticism. But all it takes is a little to tilt some people. Using my previous example, you already criticized Mr.Nervousplayer for making a mistake. So now he's nervous and playing even worse. You did that. Your actions affected him and caused a mounting problem. Even if he never sees you flaming him from then on because he muted you, if he's already nervous and knows you were flaming him, each successive mistake is going to make him play even worse from that point on. That's why negative attitude and harassment are reportable offenses in this system. It's not about "growing up" or "acting like an adult". You have to remember this game is for ages 13+. So a fair portion of the playerbase is NOT adult. They're kids. And when someone harasses them, they're going to get upset. They're going to play worse. It will affect them. Some of them are not mature enough to see criticism as constructive at all. It's an attack and they will do the opposite out of spite (they might be punished and SHOULD be if they outright start inting, but as I said... some of the players are KIDS... You can't expect the mature response out of someone who might be 13 years old). So again, take your own argument into account. You just said it: Maybe you forfeit the right to say whatever you want and tilt your own team. Maybe you need to just keep quiet for the sake of the team. No one can play well all the time. But people CAN choose not to use the chat to criticize and harass teammates all the time. You can literally move the chat window offscreen or disable the hotkey to open it so you're never even tempted. I mute all. Every game. Any vital information that needs to be communicated to your team can be done with pings. I don't do it because I'm "sensitive" or anything like that. I do it because I saw too much of my teams flaming each other and arguing and saw it so consistently across so many games that I no longer give a damn what anyone has to say. If someone pings danger on my lane or that their opposing enemy is missing, that's a useful sign that I pay attention to (assuming I noticed the ping). Someone telling me it's my fault that the enemy Zed has 6 kills when I'm 1/1, or hearing my bot lane flame my jungle for not ganking enough, is neither helpful nor entertaining. So I feel no obligation to see it. Edit: And I do feel compelled to add: Maybe trash talk is common in professional sports, where everyone is an adult and presumably has thicker skin, but this game does include young players, and from all I've seen from having two younger sisters playing youth sports, they shut that sort of thing down HARD in the 9-14 age ranges (13-14 being ages that might very well show up in any single game of league you play).
Hibeki (NA)
: Politically is different. Political gain is not a competitive sport or environment. Yes its competitive in the way that you are fighting other foreign bodies, but you are fighting over the lives of people and attempting to change lives. Saying that acting completely hostile in a presence of someone who could potentially make your actions cost thousands of lives is the equivalent of someone calling you a butthead on the internet is actual insanity. Period. There is no rebuttal to this. You make invalid and totally inaccurate comparisons. Hostility is necessary in competitive environments. Change is not made by being the nice guy. The people behaving like 'dumb apes' are usually the ones they are complaining at. Not just me, but most people who flame usually play fairly well, with the minority being *literal* dumb apes. Being upset that someone, in a competitive environment, that you are powerless to change, and did not choose to be with, is making your experience and gain from that environment worse, is totally justified. It's knowing when the EXCESSIVE is wrong. Telling someone their family needs to die is of course excessive. But elaborating your contempt for someone who refuses to learn from their mistakes in a competitive environment is NOT excessive. If everyone in this game was all nice guys, nobody would get better at this game. It would be an endless echo chambers of yes-men telling you that you did nothing wrong and just play the next game, even though in reality it will be no different.
> [{quoted}](name=Hibeki,realm=NA,application-id=3ErqAdtq,discussion-id=AAy1EOfW,comment-id=000000000000000000000000,timestamp=2018-01-02T00:55:42.861+0000) > > Being upset that someone, in a competitive environment, that you are powerless to change, and did not choose to be with, is making your experience and gain from that environment worse, is totally justified. > Your own argument is exactly the problem with your point of view. Now, this is not a personal attack, as I don't know you. This is just an example. But maybe putting up with someone flaming and criticizing makes a particular player play worse. They get nervous or whatever. So there you are, in a competitive environment. That player is powerless to change your attitude. He didn't choose to play with you. You are making his experience and his gain from the environment worse. So by your own logic, him being upset at you (and using the tools he has been provided to deal with that upset by reporting you) is totally justified. You just said so yourself. People being upset at you for ruining their experience are justified. So if they mute you, report you, or whatever, you have no cause to complain. Your own argument just CLEARLY stated that you agree wholeheartedly that they have every right to be upset with you and behave accordingly.
: > [{quoted}](name=vincentwu123,realm=NA,application-id=3ErqAdtq,discussion-id=WINVGApJ,comment-id=00000000,timestamp=2018-01-02T00:32:46.573+0000) > > But i didnt mess up lol. I landed all abilities, and played it fine. The problem is, is they take no damage, illaoi/garen, yet deal a ton. Zoe can just put you to sleep and insta kill you even from far behind. Just because you landed abilities, that does not exclude you from making a mistake.
I have to agree. The KDA doesn't tell the whole story. Now obviously I don't know the exact situation, but if you are 10/1, and you attack a 1/6 Illaoi who ults and is within reach of at least 1 more tentacle, I don't care if you landed all your abilities. Standing there and trying to trade with her in range of tentacles while her ult is active (unless you CC her somehow) means you made a HUGE mistake. The mistake is even worse if she managed to hit her E on you too, meaning the tentacles are also damaging the spirit form thingie. You're going to die. Same with most of your examples. If you don't have defenses, I don't care how far ahead you are. If you misposition, get hit by the wrong ability, or just go too ham (or are pulling too much minion agro, which a lot of people seem to forget about when they go all-in), you could very well die for it. And if damage was really too high across the board, they shouldn't have been able to kill you at all. Your damage when that far ahead should be SO high that you could disconnect for 2 seconds in the middle of that fight and still obliterate them, because YOUR damage would be even higher than theirs.
: 1.) Why do you talk about autofill when we're talking about Blind Pick specifically? Draft is different. Draft is understandable that dodging is way too time consuming. But we're talking about Blind, not Draft. 2.) I stopped playing this game also. I used to play 7-10 games a day, now I play 1 or 2 a week. And only Normals on my smurf every now and then, only. This game is too toxic and evolved for the worse to be worth continuing to play. My actual advice would have been to just quit this damn game, but OP probably wouldn't like that. Plus, they said they were afraid of Leaverbuster, and I assured them that it isn't, only a 5 minute wait that ticks even when offline, not when in queue like Leaverbuster. Plus, it resets daily, so no permanent smudge on account record like Leaverbuster.
Because you said "dodging in NORMALS" Normals cover basically anything that isn't ranked. And it's where my personal experience was relevant. I don't play Blind. Ever. I have enough champs not to be sucked into that horrible game mode. But there was no need to be nitpicky about it. Most of my comments also apply to blind. Just substitute "autofill" for "Instalocks" and "arguments over who called what first". The resulting mess of toxicity in pregame still happens. Someone inevitably gets stuck in a position they didn't want, and everything I said still becomes an issue. And I did say your solution wasn't unviable. It's just not viable for everyone. Some people don't have the time to wait out one (or probably multiple) timers for queue dodging. I mean... I'm assuming if they're worried about leaverbuster, it's because they'd like to play another game, so logging off to wait out a queue penalty isn't exactly the solution they wanted.
Spekter (NA)
: If you mute all, more than likely you'll get reported.
They may assume you are trolling. They may even report. It doesn't do anything if they do, as long as you're doing your best and playing to win. I have been muting everyone, every game, for almost a year now. How many times have I been reported for it? No idea. Because I've never been punished for it. Plus, not dealing with the barrage of negativity from people who can only have "fun" by flaming and trash talking makes this game much more enjoyable. Personally, I strongly support the "mute everyone" approach to play. In my experience playing league, the number of games where chat is used for something good compared to when it is used for arguing/flaming is around 1:100
: What? It is a very viable solution. Because there are no penalties, dodging in Normals is a REALLY good option. If I play Blind and see someone or more trolling, I just quit. I'm not gonna put up with that and waste my time playing a lost and stressful game simply because my OWN teammates want to be a hindrance when I can just dodge WITHOUT any punishment. This is Blind Pick we're talking about. Also known as Cancer Pick. A 5 minute wait is totally worth it, but most of the time I just quit the client and boot up Rainbow Six Siege. But tell me why it isn't a viable solution please.
It's not entirely UN-viable, but for some people, who have limited time each day to play, a 5-minute dodge timer isn't a small penalty. Especially when you ROUTINELY have trolls in your lobby 2, 3, sometimes 4 times in a row. Game after game, complaints about being autofilled to support or jungle, people taking Katarina in support position or autofilled junglers just going up to duo in top, people banning your declared champs, and so forth. All of the trolls were a big part of the reason I stopped even TRYING to play games on the rift. I haven't played a game on the rift in months (except bot games to get my first win). Game after game, troll, troll, troll. If I'd dodged them all, between the time wasted in lobbies and the mounting timers for dodging, I would literally play zero games. The biggest problem, imo, is autofill. There seems to be far too many people who get autofilled to support, try to trade (no one wants it, of course), and then they lock in a troll pick and spend the game either purposely or unintentionally sabotaging their ADC. Very few people want to play support. And this is coming from someone who mained support for multiple seasons. It's the most thankless and most often-flamed position in the game, and everyone on my friends list who used to main it has long-since quit playing support because they got tired of all the abuse.
: > [{quoted}](name=Hibeki,realm=NA,application-id=3ErqAdtq,discussion-id=AAy1EOfW,comment-id=0001000000000000,timestamp=2018-01-01T21:33:38.483+0000) > > You're comparing lex luther, a guy who is willing to kill and steal to get what he wants > > to a competitive player who actually cares about a game. > > while simultaneously comparing yourself to superman > > ......lol The point isn't the degree, the point is the objective frame of reference. If you're the toxic rager, you're the bad guy to *nearly everyone else in the game.* In the bad guy's pov, they aren't bad more than they're just "misunderstood"...unless it's one of those really shallow shows where they just want to "destroy the world, just cause", but moving on... So, to you, you're misunderstood and made this point to "enlighten" us, when in reality, no, I don't need people being overly toxic in my games. If you do a toxic thing once in a while, the system doesn't up and wham-jam your face in. It takes a bit of consistency to get hit with penalties, and some really egregious stuff can have the system one-shot you, but as long as you're *generally* not a douche, you should be able to avoid any real punishments. You feeling the need to make this post just tattles on yourself.
Rioter Comments
Ichibiri (NA)
: > [{quoted}](name=Umbral Regent,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=YZLEUhxn,comment-id=000000000000,timestamp=2017-12-16T04:59:30.000+0000) > > You do have freedom of speech, you just don't have freedom of consequences. You're fully allowed to say what you want, but Riot is also fully allowed to give you the boot when you say something that goes against their rules. If I had freedom of speech then I wouldn't have to worry about the consequences of speaking my mind. Your logic is flawed... If Riot kicks anyone who they feel they are saying that isn't "allowed" then then that's selective enforcement.
Common misconception. Freedom of speech does not protect you from the consequences of your actions. You're more than welcome to call a random business and tell them there's a bomb that's going to blow the place up. It doesn't mean you won't be arrested for making terroristic threats or inciting a panic. Freedom of Speech under law is the right to speak your beliefs without the GOVERNMENT censoring or imprisoning you for voicing said belief. It doesn't mean you can just say whatever you want and private citizens need to swallow it. And it doesn't free you of responsibility if whatever you say (like the aforementioned bomb threat) has some sort of punishment involved. Fact is, when you play this game, you have to click "yes" to an agreement that states (in part, and paraphrased for simplicity) that you will not harass, insult, or be negative towards other players, and if you are, Riot can punish you for it. You agree by clicking yes. If you are then negative to other players, you've broken your agreement and will be punished. You shouldn't be surprised about it. You said you wouldn't do it. You agreed that Riot had the right to punish you if you did. Then you did it. Getting punished for it shouldn't be a surprise at that point. It should be expected.
: > [{quoted}](name=Amy the Raven,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=PsEkAu8w,comment-id=00020001,timestamp=2017-12-15T21:51:31.076+0000) > > Honestly not sure how to answer that. I don't "hear" anything when I think. I just... think. If you mean imagining something, I imagine what I would experience in real life. Sights and smells and such. If that's what you were after. Do you use ASL that often or just emote everything? Write notes? Does it get tedious? Are these questions tedious? What are your inner monologues like?
> [{quoted}](name=Player Vehicle,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=PsEkAu8w,comment-id=000200010003,timestamp=2017-12-15T23:53:23.146+0000) > > Do you use ASL that often or just emote everything? Write notes? Does it get tedious? Are these questions tedious? > What are your inner monologues like? A combination of the two. With close friends and family, all of whom know ASL, we communicate by signing. When dealing with someone who doesn't know ASL when I don't have an interpreter to help, my phone can be a good tool for communication IF they have the patience to wait while I type and then read my messages (either as texts if I have their number or by showing them the screen if I'm trying to ask a stranger a question). But yes, to be honest, when I am forced to communicate in text, it does sometimes get tedious. I imagine it would for you as well? If you had to type a conversation because you couldn't talk for some reason? Not because it's a horrible chore or anything, but just because it's not as fast or efficient as your normal way of communicating. I am able to read lips, but it's not as easy as people seem to assume it is, and it took a LONG time to learn (everyone I meet just seems to assume I can read their lips, but no two people seem to talk alike. Some people I can read very easily, while others don't move their lips the same way, or very much, or in the case of my neighbor, barely move them at all, and that can make it very hard). I don't speak at all. I attempted speech therapy, but since I've never been able to hear, it was a lost cause from the start. It's very hard to learn to form words or even make specific sounds when you have no reference for them. And finally, these questions aren't tedious (not exactly), just some of them are hard to answer because I don't really have a common frame of reference. I really had to think to answer the question about how I "think", because I've honestly never been asked that before. But my inner monologues are probably very similar to yours, just minus any kind of tone of voice or attachment to sound. Because I don't associate communication or expression with sound. So if I had to guess, I'd say it's more like inner subtitles. Not that I imagine my thoughts as TEXT, but that's the best analogy I could come up with that hearing people might be able to relate to. Same thoughts as anyone else, just... no sound or tone attached. Because I don't know (and honestly can't imagine) sound or tone.
: > [{quoted}](name=Amy the Raven,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=PsEkAu8w,comment-id=00020001,timestamp=2017-12-15T21:51:31.076+0000) > > Honestly not sure how to answer that. I don't "hear" anything when I think. I just... think. If you mean imagining something, I imagine what I would experience in real life. Sights and smells and such. If that's what you were after. So you don't imagine your voice talking when you're thinking? I think all non-deaf people do. I know I do. Maybe it's kind of weird, but when I think something in my head the words form in my voice in my mind, if you didn't know or understand what was meant by that.
> [{quoted}](name=Atrushan2,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=PsEkAu8w,comment-id=000200010002,timestamp=2017-12-15T22:48:41.794+0000) > > So you don't imagine your voice talking when you're thinking? I think all non-deaf people do. I know I do. Maybe it's kind of weird, but when I think something in my head the words form in my voice in my mind, if you didn't know or understand what was meant by that. No, I don't imagine talking. But then, since I've never heard my voice, I wouldn't really have a basis to even imagine it from (and to be honest, I can't speak in any meaningful way verbally). I know it seems weird and is probably impossible to even imagine when you've been able to hear your whole life. Because I definitely feel that the reverse is true. I honestly can't even begin to imagine what it's like to hear all the sounds the world makes. No matter how much people try to describe it, it just seems so... abnormal to me. If that makes any sense. Because it's not at all what the world I know is like. But to get back to the point of the question, tbh, I don't believe the question "how do you think?" has ever been asked of me before. I really don't know how to describe it. Like I said, I just... think. Words form in my mind, same as you, but not with any sort of voice or sound attached. But it's not like I imagine using ASL (American sign language) to sign my inner thoughts or anything. I just... think. I guess the best analogy I can come up with is that it would be more like inner subtitles than anything?
: Building attack speed should increase the speed of Aurelion Sol's stars
Just a thought here, but wouldn't that be a little OP on top of the added number of auto-attacks per second? Although I do think this would be amazingly cool if your AS bonuses increased the speed of the orbit of the stars INSTEAD of increasing actual attack speed.
: > [{quoted}](name=SKRRRRRRAT,realm=EUW,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=PsEkAu8w,comment-id=00020001000000010000,timestamp=2017-12-15T22:07:59.314+0000) > > Nah dude fuck that. If I couldn't hear music, movies, youtube videos or anything in general life would be ruined tbh. Well, I wont try and change your perspective, but life is a lot more than just music, movies, youtube or "anything in general life." The point of his original post even points to this, there is so much depth to the world, that one need only go looking to find it. Examples: Travel, Friends, Family, Books, Videos with subtitles (which I always use on facebook instead of "clicking for sound") Dogs, theme parks, hobbies... I really could go on, but yea, shits out there.
> [{quoted}](name=TugUhMonkey,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=PsEkAu8w,comment-id=000200010000000100000000,timestamp=2017-12-15T22:13:03.801+0000) > > Well, I wont try and change your perspective, but life is a lot more than just music, movies, youtube or "anything in general life." The point of his original post even points to this, there is so much depth to the world, that one need only go looking to find it. > > Examples: Travel, Friends, Family, Books, Videos with subtitles (which I always use on facebook instead of "clicking for sound") Dogs, theme parks, hobbies... I really could go on, but yea, shits out there. ^ This. Honestly (and again this may just be because I've never been able to hear and you can't miss what you don't know), the only time I really feel any frustration or anything over being deaf is when I'm trying to deal with a hearing person and there is no one around to help with communication. But I get more than enough out of life without being able to hear. There are plenty of hobbies, activities, and just general experiences that don't rely on sound to enjoy as far as I know. Or if they do, I enjoy them just fine without hearing them. Side note: If the bass is high enough, music can be fun. I can't hear it, but I can feel it, and it feels really cool.
Kythers (NA)
: > [{quoted}](name=Amy the Raven,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=PsEkAu8w,comment-id=00020001,timestamp=2017-12-15T21:51:31.076+0000) > > Honestly not sure how to answer that. I don't "hear" anything when I think. I just... think. If you mean imagining something, I imagine what I would experience in real life. Sights and smells and such. If that's what you were after. Are you 100% deaf or partial?
> [{quoted}](name=Kythers,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=PsEkAu8w,comment-id=000200010001,timestamp=2017-12-15T22:09:36.066+0000) > > Are you 100% deaf or partial? 100% deaf. My inner ear didn't form properly. I wasn't even a candidate for a cochlear implant because the necessary structures in my ears aren't present.
: Tell me one reason to reconect to a game
Because in 2010, North American waters had 42% of all confirmed unprovoked shark attacks worldwide (32 attacks). You said to tell you a reason. You didn't say it had to be relevant or logical. Do it for the shark attack victims of 2010! {{sticker:slayer-jinx-wink}}
: > [{quoted}](name=Amy the Raven,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=PsEkAu8w,comment-id=00020001,timestamp=2017-12-15T21:51:31.076+0000) > > Honestly not sure how to answer that. I don't "hear" anything when I think. I just... think. If you mean imagining something, I imagine what I would experience in real life. Sights and smells and such. If that's what you were after. Wtf how can you live like that? I'd rather kill myself than live in complete silence
> [{quoted}](name=SKRRRRRRAT,realm=EUW,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=PsEkAu8w,comment-id=000200010000,timestamp=2017-12-15T21:53:01.099+0000) > > Wtf how can you live like that? I'd rather kill myself than live in complete silence Not sure if you're trying to be offensive or not, but I ask you the reverse: How can you live with the ability to hear? How do you ever concentrate? Or sleep? I've learned since I was little that pretty much EVERYTHING makes some kind of sound. Wind, rain, trees, footsteps, packages, animals, insects, voices, even people breathing... How do you deal with the constant distraction? But to answer seriously in case this isn't an attempt to troll me... Maybe being deaf would be harder for you since you've been able to hear your whole life. But my inner ear never properly formed before I was born. I have never had any ability to hear. I'm not a percentage deaf (some legally deaf people have very limited ability to hear, or can hear certain ranges of tones to some degree). But it's hard to miss sound when you honestly have no idea what it's like to hear it. My sisters and some friends have, in the past, attempted to describe what it's like to be hearing. I don't understand it. I probably never will. And given your attitude there, I sincerely hope you are never put in a position to have to cope with losing your hearing. But honestly, I live just fine. Losing your hearing wouldn't be the end of the world if it DID happen. You'd just need to learn to adjust.
: Quick question, how do deaf people think? like, when i think about something i hear my voice, what about you?
> [{quoted}](name=SKRRRRRRAT,realm=EUW,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=PsEkAu8w,comment-id=0002,timestamp=2017-12-15T21:46:07.400+0000) > > Quick question, how do deaf people think? like, when i think about something i hear my voice, what about you? Honestly not sure how to answer that. I don't "hear" anything when I think. I just... think. If you mean imagining something, I imagine what I would experience in real life. Sights and smells and such. If that's what you were after.
thorrad (NA)
: please save twisted tree line
I understand why this would irritate some people. I wish I could get into more botted games in TT. I went there in hopes of farming chests, got into a game where I was literally the only human. It was me + 2 bots vs. 3 bots. Went 36/0 and got a free chest. Haven't seen a single bot there since. I have to admit I was disappointed. As someone who is not feeling AT ALL competitive right now (I've mostly been playing AI games just for first win over the past month) I was hoping to clear out my buildup of chests. It was disappointing only to have that one game full of bots. I hoped to at least win a few chests before my MMR was too high for bot accounts as opponents. That said, I don't envy any poor people who go there, and end up on a team with bots against a team of real people. That would feel awful.
: maybe its irrational to care about other people even if I don't know them but that is just the way I am
Umbral was perhaps a little less delicate about it than he should have been, but he does have a point. I guess it's human nature to want to be liked/included, but seriously, you're dealing with random strangers who know nothing about you. Words are just words. As someone who was born a bit different and thus often felt like an outsider (I was born deaf), I had to learn early in life to ignore the opinions and assumptions of random people. My dad, as much of a douche as he turned out to be, did give me one piece of advice I will never forget: If someone says something about you, ask yourself three questions: 1: Do you love this person, either as family, friend or otherwise. 2: Do they have some sort of authority over whether you get enough to eat, have a place to sleep, etc. 3: Do they have any say in your future? Can their opinion of you hinder your aspirations/dreams? If the answer to all three is "no", then their opinion is quite literally meaningless. Unless you CHOOSE to give it meaning. What they say has zero impact on your life otherwise. So why worry about empty words that quite literally don't matter?
Kythers (NA)
: https://i.imgur.com/NAQy1nK.jpg Wanting things you can't have is a normal human emotion, but it's a useless one usually
> [{quoted}](name=Kythers,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=PsEkAu8w,comment-id=0000,timestamp=2017-12-15T21:24:46.154+0000) > > https://i.imgur.com/NAQy1nK.jpg > > Wanting things you can't have is a normal human emotion, but it's a useless one usually Agreed. It just struck me as weird. It's nothing I haven't felt before. It just struck me as funny today when I saw one of those posts, briefly felt disappointed about being excluded, and then my brain caught up and went "Wait, what? We aren't even interested!"
: Support/Heals: Forgotten about in Rune Presets while Levelling
Yeah. I had a friend join at the start of preseason. She wanted to start about a week before that, but I advised she wait because it would be a big change and would be better to learn one system than to learn the old one, and then the new one after a week. I was appalled at how much of what I would consider basic content was level-gated for new players. I forget the exact level thresholds, but it was bad. Something like... Until level 9, you get preassigned runes. You can't even choose from different preset pages. You get whatever Riot assigned to your champ. At level 11 you can finally create your own page, but you only get to choose the main tree. Everything else is locked in. And you can't choose Inspiration. At 13 you get to change the keystone for your main rune path. At 15 you can choose your whole main path, but the secondary path is preset. At 17 you can pick different keystones for your secondary path, and can finally choose inspiration. At 19 you finally get to fully customize your runes. Something like that. It was insane. My friend had her own personal favorite runes and abilities by the time she was level 10. Earlier, I think. But somehow she doesn't have full customization until in the neighborhood of level 20? And that's not even counting that various summoner spells are also level-gated, game modes are level-gated (some rightly so... you don't want a complete beginner in ranked, but... why is the PRACTICE tool locked until like level 12? THE PRACTICE TOOL! Who needs more practice than new players?) No wonder she got tired of the game and stopped playing before she even hit level 30. It was such a restrictive experience.
Rioter Comments
: > [{quoted}](name=HalcyonDweller,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=6fBvUTrf,comment-id=00060000000000000001,timestamp=2017-12-15T20:41:58.333+0000) > > Lucky you, many of the rest of us are not so lucky. > > And to reply to the general thread, I do not have high hopes for the eventual outcomes of this policy change. > > My landlord had to literally call AT&T **every other month** to police them himself for raising his rate after they contractually promised him a locked rate that wouldn't go up for at least 18 months. And I've heard similar stories about both Comcast & AT&T from numerous other individuals. > > The big ISPs are absolute scumbags. I have zero doubts that they have every intention of taking advantage of the lack of regulation to fuck over everyone else if that is what it takes to amass more profit for themselves. Not saying we can trust the ISP companies but even they are legally limited. They can't just raise your rates, as you've mentioned. Your contract has to allow it and they can't simply break said contract without your consent (because to do that would require extreme extraneous circumstances that aren't gonna happen to any ISP).
> [{quoted}](name=Busty Demoness,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=6fBvUTrf,comment-id=000600000000000000010000,timestamp=2017-12-15T20:54:53.576+0000) > > Not saying we can trust the ISP companies but even they are legally limited. > > They can't just raise your rates, as you've mentioned. Your contract has to allow it and they can't simply break said contract without your consent (because to do that would require extreme extraneous circumstances that aren't gonna happen to any ISP). They can't? I mean, I suppose, if you're still in the 2-year contractual period or whatever. Unfortunately, not everyone gets that nice contract. Comcast has raised our rates for internet service every year, like clockwork, for the last 10 years. Since they are the ONLY supplier of unlimited, unthrottled internet in my area, they can get away with it and they know it.
xGunna1 (EUW)
: so healing can be countered by grievous wounds but shield has no item to counter it ?
Heals are permanent. Your health goes up and stays there until you are damaged again. Shields go away after a reasonably short duration (with very rare exceptions, such as Malphite passive). So they kind of need a counter for heals. Shields wear off on their own and the issue is solved.
: Shrug. I like to tilt my enemies. They dare try to defy my goal of climbing the ladder, they should suffer the consequences.
Hey. Whatever you think works for you. Any intelligent player would just mute you if all-chat wasn't already blocked, and mute your emotes as well, and then you're just talking to yourself while they play in peace.
: How far can you go with competitive BM?
Personally, you could get away with that if I was on the opposing team, because I have all-chat blocked by default, so I'd never see it anyway. Not interested in trading trash talk with immature gamers who need to talk trash to have any fun. But some people would probably report for it, and if you've done it often enough, you could almost definitely get punished for it.
: > [{quoted}](name=DotEleven,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=6fBvUTrf,comment-id=0004,timestamp=2017-12-15T17:45:16.757+0000) > > You can call it the worst scenario. and yes, it may or may not happen. But there's no reason to give them the ability to do it in the first place. > > You already pay for your service. You pay for a bandwidth limit. People can pay more for higher bandwidth. That is their service. It shouldn't matter what site I go to the ISP shouldn't be able to regulate whether I get that 30 Mbps going to Twitch or Youtube or League. > > The reason people keep bringing up this scenario is because this is what removing Net Neutrality allows them to do regardless of they will or won't. The problem is that most of those people act like it's guaranteed, rather than simply "this will now be possible". As in 48 hours after the decision is finalized, you will start paying out the nose with no prior notice.
> [{quoted}](name=Busty Demoness,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=6fBvUTrf,comment-id=00040000,timestamp=2017-12-15T17:48:42.185+0000) > > The problem is that most of those people act like it's guaranteed, rather than simply "this will now be possible". As in 48 hours after the decision is finalized, you will start paying out the nose with no prior notice. Yes, the problem is definitely that people are angry/upset and are overstating. But given that most of the lobbying for the removal of NN came from service providers, and the removal of NN seems to have no point other than to allow "shady" practices that could increase the profits of those providers at the expense of competition/customers, people MAY have reason to be upset. It doesn't look good. I think a lot of the upset/anger is about the possibilities and the perception. I mean what legitimate reason could there be to remove those protections unless it's so you can take advantage of their absence? I mean if my town has rules that curbside lemonade stands can only sell lemonade with no bleach added, and I start lobbying to remove the restriction on bleach in lemonade, it does look an awful lot like I want to add bleach to my lemonade, doesn't it? Maybe I don't intend to, but why bother trying to get the restriction removed if I don't? (silly example, I know, but I'm just trying to illustrate a point)
: > [{quoted}](name=Amy the Raven,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=6fBvUTrf,comment-id=0002,timestamp=2017-12-15T17:16:32.566+0000) > > Yes, people are overstating the severity of the situation, and doing so before it's even set in stone. Which, I assume, is why I got downvoted and called a drama queen on another thread for making what I THOUGHT was an obviously-sarcastic comment about how it was nice to have internet service while we could afford it. But I really don't see how these changes will make anything better for people in areas like where we live. As I previously stated, maybe this will spur some competition in other areas where there are multiple more-or-less equal options available. But for those who live in areas dominated by one company, forgive me if I'm not optimistic about the altruism of the local monopoly. I forgive you because this post was well-put. I've got a variety of options despite living in the middle of nowhere so I can't relate. Variety being 3+ and none of them being Comcast because Comcast genuinely needs to go under.
> [{quoted}](name=Player Vehicle,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=6fBvUTrf,comment-id=00020000,timestamp=2017-12-15T17:21:40.894+0000) > > I forgive you because this post was well-put. > I've got a variety of options despite living in the middle of nowhere so I can't relate. Variety being 3+ and none of them being Comcast because Comcast genuinely needs to go under. Ah. So you're aware of the reputation of our only local option for unlimited internet... Then you understand my lack of optimism.
: Here is why I hate most posts about Net Neutrality:
Of course this isn't going to destroy the internet. That's what the anti-NN people seem to be saying to satirize the people who are upset over the potential abuses we could be open to if the legal challenges fail. It makes zero sense to think that an ISP would destroy their revenue stream. But the problem is that prices for internet locally have only gone up with every passing year for the last decade. Ten years ago, we paid $59/month for the highest-tier internet (before they offered it in a bundle). Five years ago we paid $50 when it was bundled with TV, and $70 for the same internet without the bundle. Now we pay $100/month for the highest tier internet. Because there is exactly one ISP serving this area that offers unlimited internet. They have no competition and they know they can do whatever they want because customers' only alternatives in the area, while cheaper, throttle internet speed after a very small data cap. Is it possible that removing the regulations could spur some competition? Maybe. Particularly in areas with multiple ISPs that offer comparable service. I don't see this change as necessarily being horrible for areas where there's already competition. I have my doubts about ISPs resisting the opportunity to restrict bandwidth to sites/services controlled by their competitors, but there is the possibility that companies may have to compete more now, and in areas with variety, that competition may keep them from taking advantage. But in an area like where I live, with only one decent ISP providing service, I doubt we'll see any improvement because of competition. If any other company was keen to move into this area with a better offer for service, I would have expected it before now. Just about any company could make a KILLING in this area by coming in and offering unlimited internet at the same speeds for $10 less. I very much doubt that the local price inflation is going to get any better with fewer restrictions on the only decent ISP serving our area. Years back when we still had satellite TV, the price kept going up the same way until we dropped them because it was cheaper for unbundled internet + streaming services than it was to keep their TV/internet bundle. Unfortunately, it's not like we have the option now that we did then. We can't drop internet and get our streaming/gaming/internet entertainment from an "alternative internet". Sure we could dump internet service entirely and get TV instead of streaming, but TV wouldn't give us access to online gaming/internet features. When 100% of your household's TV/music/gaming entertainment comes from the internet, dropping service is not really an option. The local ISP knows it. Which, I assume, is why they feel free to raise the price yearly. Because they know that locally, we have nowhere else to go that isn't vastly more limited. Yes, people are overstating the severity of the situation, and doing so before it's even set in stone. Which, I assume, is why I got downvoted and called a drama queen on another thread for making what I THOUGHT was an obviously-sarcastic comment about how it was nice to have internet service while we could afford it. But I really don't see how these changes will make anything better for people in areas like where we live. As I previously stated, maybe this will spur some competition in other areas where there are multiple more-or-less equal options available. But for those who live in areas dominated by one company, forgive me if I'm not optimistic about the altruism of the local monopoly. They've already been raising our prices yearly. I wouldn't be surprised if there were additional fees incoming for high-usage households like ours (if we don't want slower service to select games/services, of course).
: > [{quoted}](name=NotSid,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=fWKpYGzZ,comment-id=00060000,timestamp=2017-12-15T01:43:16.216+0000) > > Before the law was put into place, ISPs were already testing the waters to see just how much shady shit they could get away with. Even AFTER NN laws were put into place, Comcast was like "hmmmm.. what if we just secretly throttle League of Legends?" and the backlash was huge, both publicly and legally. > > Now, backlash or not, they'll do whatever their shareholders like. They know most people only have 1 option for internet. > > Thankfully Trudeau has made it clear he's strongly for net neutrality, so I don't have to worry too much here > But you guys? You guys are screwed. actually, over 90% of americans have Options between 3+ ISPs,
> [{quoted}](name=Arndt E Z,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=fWKpYGzZ,comment-id=000600000000,timestamp=2017-12-15T01:48:06.527+0000) > > actually, over 90% of americans have Options between 3+ ISPs, And the people who live in an area with only one decent option are about to get robbed so hard that we won't be able to AFFORD internet. But it was nice to have it while we did...
: No midlaner can follow a roaming talon anyway xD That would be straight up intentionally feeding. All you can do as the opposing mid is ping missing and pray to the heavens botlane responds in time.
It isn't just Talon that is a problem. Sometimes, not following is the smart thing to do. Not everyone should follow all the time. This mindset is how I got a game where I went 15/1 as Annie in a 20-minute game a few months back. Push my lane into the tower, get my stun up, wander into the river brush and wait for opposing laner to stupidly attempt to follow. Nuke them for a kill, then head bot. Then shake my head when opposing bot lane is spamming all chat with calls to report the enemy mid for letting me roam uncontested. He was trying not to. It wasn't a smart play, but he was trying. His team would have been better off if he DIDN'T follow and just pushed waves when I disappeared. You just shouldn't follow some champions into the brush. It's a bad idea. Side note: I believe the top-side team has the disadvantage here. If you're on the bot side and your enemy mid roams, you have a safer path to take to get to bot lane by keeping on the bottom side of the river, behind the dragon pit. If you're on top side, you have to go THROUGH the river or all the way around blue buff to follow. Which forces you into more dangerous positions.
: $10 RP Giveaway - Most servers allowed! (Asides Garena/KR)
Very nice of you to do a giveaway like this. Wish I could afford to do something similar. Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays all.
Show more

BubblyRainbows

Level 80 (NA)
Lifetime Upvotes
Create a Discussion