: The Case for Villain Depth
Thresh is still, for the most part, an entertaining, scary, and effective villain, but he could still definitely use some depth. Good post.
: 2019 Lore Tournament - Day 7: The Echoes left Behind vs The Whispering Doodad
Both are fantastic, but... The Echoes Left Behind had a lot more emotional beats for me, so I’m going with that one. Once again, both stories are extremely good at conveying what they want to.
Kazekiba (NA)
: She's a highly educated, verbose and very athletic girl who was supposed to be trapped in a cave on the edge of Hell since she was 8 years old. Her father traveled the world collecting artifacts with the specific function of enabling his *existence* in the void if even for moments. He was still warped and corrupted. Malzahar communed with the void psychically and was not just physically altered, mentally destroyed and his human essence erased and now he's a lunatic puppet of the Void using his powers to literally erase entire cities into the very same void that Kai'sa should have been trapped in. And she came out a fucking Parisian model. Discounting literally every other failure of logic or internal consistency... She's from Shurima right? Why is she so pale?
I agree completely, but as to your last point... It's probable she's pale because the sun hasn't touched her skin in a decade.
C meLoL (EUW)
: {{champion:81}} 's face needs fixing in LoR more than anyone
Especially leveled up, he looks like a toad. I don't mind his base art though, he looks kind of like a jackass but he's supposed to.
: 2019 Lore Tournament - Day 2: The Winterspike Road vs The Final Reign
Both are very good, but I gotta go with Mordekaiser's simply because it reimagines his pre-VGU character in one of the best ways possible. He's a perfect example of how a lore rewrite should be handled.
Jacksin (OCE)
: Varus' story as a human wasn't even changed that much
That Darkin were still fully ambiguous when Varus was rewritten, but yeah, this way of writing it was a neat compromise from Riot.
Sydney26 (EUW)
: 2hours ago this thread had 39 upvotes and now it has 14 downvotes .. what is wrong with u? this thread doesnt deserve this ... its about a kindred skin
Looks like the downvote bot got you, there's a bad case of them right now
zaire90 (NA)
: Damn its really been a year since the last one. Luckily this one should be more fair since last year had those 2 monsters where icathia once stood and twilight of the gods.
I mean, we do have Silence of the Damned this time around...
: 2019 Lore Tournament - Day 1: What once Sailed Free vs Aftermath
This is a really close one, but I'm going to have to go with What Once Sailed Free simply because of how poetic and, for lack of a better word, awesome it is. Both are great stories though, and I suspect Aftermath will win due to its effects on the larger plot of the world.
: My skin wishlist
The Urgodfather needs to happen
Naalith (NA)
: > [{quoted}](name=Bomei,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=65Og0tAr,comment-id=0001,timestamp=2019-11-28T23:04:27.087+0000) > > It's your login, not your in game name. Even if it asked you to change your username, you'd still be Naalith. Yeah, until they add a cross game friends list that uses your Riot name rather than your League one. That's why everyone is pissed, when the fully fledged launcher comes around no one is gonna be happy with what Riot ordained to let them have.
> [{quoted}](name=Naalith,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=65Og0tAr,comment-id=00010000,timestamp=2019-11-28T23:22:02.435+0000) > > Yeah, until they add a cross game friends list that uses your Riot name rather than your League one. That's why everyone is pissed, when the fully fledged launcher comes around no one is gonna be happy with what Riot ordained to let them have. At least for the preview patch for Legends of Runeterra, it still uses your summoner name. So at the very least they’re avoiding doing that for now.
: Where do black people like Lucian, Ekko, Pyke and Senna originate from on Runeterra?
As Demacia was formed by refugees fleeing the Rune Wars, ethnic Africans could very well be in Demacia at the beginning. Whether they are “native” to that region is another question. Beyond that I have no idea.
Zeanix (OCE)
: Does Runeterra have television? And which regions would have live tv?
Honestly? Probably not. There’s probably a movement of some kind in Piltover and Zaun to create communication and transmitting devices, but while those probably exist, I doubt they’d be manufactured at a mass-produced level at this point in time. Anywhere else is an almost certain no, unless Piltover DOES have TVs, in which case there might be a few in Bilgewater on account of piracy.
: nah I'm not really mad, nothing wrong with the skin. Just not my thing, doesn't feel very much like Vlad and seems like wasted potential really
: YOU CUYT HIS HAIR RUYIOT I AM MADD
You’re better than this, chill. Now can we talk about Vlad’s amazing interactions in LoR? Garen: “I won’t let you hurt anyone else!” Vladimir: “Do you often make promises you can’t keep?
: ***
That’s a rather broad generalization that has little basis in fact.
Falkeal (NA)
: GarenxKatarina is canon and it's a pretty big problem in a serious setting
Romance doesn’t have to be rational, especially this kind of infatuation that Garen and Katarina are implied to have with each other. It probably shouldn’t lead to something super serious or whatever, but they might just be into each other.
Jacksin (OCE)
: The Crimson Circle is easily my favourite addition to the lore from Legends of Runeterra.
I agree. The Crimson Circle seems to be a nice set of promising new characters in the lore. Same with that gang of Zaunite punks that have interactions with each other.
: F in the chat for our awkward boy Ezreal's love life. Also he looks like a weasel, especially when he's leveled up. Plus, level 2 Ez has the gauntlet on the wrong hand. AAAAAHHH
Ez can look like a weasel, he kinda is one. Level 2 Ez looks like a toad though, eh...
: https://miro.medium.com/max/1200/1*dwMsqikRtIAmeB4jw8VnAw.jpeg it might take more than half a year for the mobile version.
> [{quoted}](name=Jennifer17,realm=EUW,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=yr3HM2mN,comment-id=0003,timestamp=2019-11-19T08:28:30.110+0000) > > https://miro.medium.com/max/1200/1*dwMsqikRtIAmeB4jw8VnAw.jpeg > > it might take more than half a year for the mobile version. A small price to pay for salavation
: Goodbye Season 9 and Good Riddance
I still have worse memories of Season 8. That season got me to quit for like half a year before I picked up this game again during the summer. This season, while bad, hasn't been anywhere near as infuriating.
: > [{quoted}](name=Rextreff,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=qMwYJEfy,comment-id=00060000,timestamp=2019-11-18T23:06:23.216+0000) > > No. Riot can do what they want. I never was talking about anything 'sensitive politics'. It's their game, Riot can do whatever they want. For anyone reading this, this is related to Leagues Universe it's lore and Story. Ionians hate Noxians, Demacians hate Mages, However Purely Storywise it is not possible without huge repercussions for Riot to introduce Champions or a Region that hates certain groups. It's just too sensitive and remember what I said earlier it makes for really awkward story telling when you aren't allowed to tell two sides of an argument. I have to word everything I say here so so very carefully because whenever anyone talks about this their account is on the line it's that hot of a subject.
> [{quoted}](name=Yordle Gunner,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=qMwYJEfy,comment-id=000600000000,timestamp=2019-11-19T00:16:19.023+0000) > > For anyone reading this, this is related to Leagues Universe it's lore and Story. Ionians hate Noxians, Demacians hate Mages, However Purely Storywise it is not possible without huge repercussions for Riot to introduce Champions or a Region that hates certain groups. It's just too sensitive and remember what I said earlier it makes for really awkward story telling when you aren't allowed to tell two sides of an argument. > > I have to word everything I say here so so very carefully because whenever anyone talks about this their account is on the line it's that hot of a subject. Especially because usually when there’s a faction that hates something they have a champion to represent it, and that would turn off a lot of people who are in a real-life group would turn away from that champion if said champion dislikes that group. Which is why we can really only use parallels (e.g. Demacia with mages).
: ... i dont like this new lore. Viktor found a random golem and put a rock on it as battery with unexpected results: The end. In fact, i dont like the whole concept of using brakern crystals for Hextech... its like "well... how did this guy made this awesome invention?" "idk, magical rocks lol" For example: "How did Ekko made his awesome invention?" "idk, magical rocks lol" "How did Jayce made his MCHammer?" "idk, magical rocks lol" "How did Viktor made a sentient golem?" "idk, magical rocks lol" It feels like the things that they did were accidents intead of a genious doing smart things.
> [{quoted}](name=Ebonmaw Dragon,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=EEZAAv7W,comment-id=0001,timestamp=2019-11-19T01:24:27.441+0000) > > ... i dont like this new lore. > > Viktor found a random golem and put a rock on it as battery with unexpected results: The end. > > In fact, i dont like the whole concept of using brakern crystals for Hextech... its like "well... how did this guy made this awesome invention?" "idk, magical rocks lol" > > For example: > > "How did Ekko made his awesome invention?" > "idk, magical rocks lol" > > "How did Jayce made his MCHammer?" > "idk, magical rocks lol" > > "How did Viktor made a sentient golem?" > "idk, magical rocks lol" > > It feels like the things that they did were accidents intead of a genious doing smart things. I really hope they keep how Jayce made his hammer, it's actually a really cool part of his story.
SirEnds (NA)
: What is Your Favorite Champion Lore?
{{champion:202}} {{champion:41}} {{champion:50}}
5050BS (NA)
: So Riot Deleted the post about needing more ways to knock Yummi off her target.
Granted, the Mods don't work directly for Riot. They're community managers. That post still shouldn't have gotten deleted though. That sucks.
: Riot games league client right now
"It just works." ~ Todd Howard
: biggest pet peeve in league. hey guy's i have work/ other obligations i have to go to in 10 minutes.
Yeah, I don’t get it. If you think you might not have time, play TFT or a singleplayer game for a bit. There are other (frankly, better!) games than League to play if you need to kill some time.
: https://i.ibb.co/tYvWSy4/low-spec-mode.png
That literally barely works. It still takes forty seconds to create a single damn runes page in champ select because of the extraneous animations.
: New player and looking to learn about the lore, but where do I start?
My advice is to start by looking at each region's lore page on Universe -- there are quite a few and knowing that base background information is necessary. At that point, you can pretty much look at any champion with both an established bio and a short story on universe - at this point, that's most of them - and take that as canon.
: I'm excited to watch Arcane, the new LoL show, for one particular character
I personally hope we at least see a cameo of a young, human Viktor building Blitzcrank.
Jaspers (EUW)
: I had an ARAM once where i was Nasus and whenever the Yuumi jumped to me it was "Ugh! You smell like dog!" "Ugh! You smell like dog!" "Ugh! You smell like dog!" "Ugh! You smell like dog!" "Ugh! You smell like dog!" "Ugh! You smell like....." I get it Yuumi. I get it. Stop. Pls.
> [{quoted}](name=Jaspers,realm=EUW,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=3O18jix1,comment-id=0008,timestamp=2019-11-09T00:10:02.911+0000) > > I had an ARAM once where i was Nasus and whenever the Yuumi jumped to me it was "Ugh! You smell like dog!" > > "Ugh! You smell like dog!" > "Ugh! You smell like dog!" > "Ugh! You smell like dog!" > "Ugh! You smell like dog!" > "Ugh! You smell like....." > > I get it Yuumi. I get it. Stop. Pls. “CoUlD yOu PlAy ThE pIaNo WhILe I nAp JhIn?” ad infinitum causes me to actively not play Jhin when my friend plays Yuumi.
GreenKnight (EUNE)
: Just wait for a retcon. Riot likes to remove things, so you might not want to read what they will do to this region.
Well, at least with the release of the book, little else lore-wise can change now that it’s in hard print. Hopefully. If they keep retconning stuff they put in the book I’m gonna give up on the lore completely.
: Yeah, I hope the mods can see that this is just a discussion. HonestJohnTheCon, Taliyah is ridiculous looking. Its like they took a boy character, then called it a girl, just to show us how boyish they could make a female character. Why do that, when 95% of the female champs are great looking, and don't look bad like these champs. As for Ekko, totally unrelatable. Its like he is supposed to be some _woke_ character. Why would anyone want to play that character? He doesn't "represent" anyone in society at all. Varus you nailed on the head, but he doesn't even bother me, at least he is relatable, and designed well, but yeah he is fancy. Illaoi is too big, and her moves are all over the place, also an unrelatable character. Then you mention Xayah and Rakan, but have you seen the characters from Brawl Stars? Look at Bo from Brawl Stars, or any of the other champs in that game. They are done better than a lot of these League characters in my opinion, because they are relatable without being "woke"
Taliyah looks boyish, but in my opinion she still looks cute, and even if she didn't, boyish-looking girls do exist. So Taliyah is relatable to girls and women who may dissatisfied with how they look, especially since most of the other female champs look like supermodels. I personally find Ekko very relatable; he's the classic underdog story, trying to make his way in the world and create great things, but still trying to keep true to who he is. This concept of wanting to do well without selling out is in my opinion one of the most fascinating parts of his character. And of course, the time motif is neat, if a little uninspired. Illaoi is "too big"... I dunno what you mean by that. Tall women exist, as do buff ones. Might be exaggerated, but most champions are in this game in some way. Her moves being all over the place -- eh, maybe gameplay-wise, but as far their design goes it keeps themes of tentacles, fighting against the odds, and most importantly staying in motion. While I personally can't relate to her, I know many who would -- keeping in motion and not being stagnant are her core themes, and I know a lot of people who personally vouch for just that. Finally, I see little resemblance design wise between Bo and Xayah/Rakan except for bird and archer motifs. Quote-wise he seems a bit closer, but even then his character seems like one far more like Shen than either of those two. So he's not exactly a good example of "how to do characters like Xayah and Rakan, but better". I'm also not quite sure what the comparison to a free-to-pay mobile game developed by Supercell has anything to do with the argument, especially because the character designs appear simplistic compared to many of League's designs. While this isn't bad -- it is a mobile game, after all -- I'm not sure what about their particular character designs seem compared to League of Legends. You state that they are relatable without being "woke", but I have yet to see you provide a more clear definition of what "woke" means; many different people have varying definitions, from simply "progressive" to "forcing progressiveness".
: Alright, two weeks isn't a long time. I am calm... *deep breaths* Well I don't like too much clowning around and meme-tastic nonsense flooding everything. {{sticker:zombie-brand-mindblown}}
The game is partially built on memes, and grew through memes as well. A bit of acknowledgement of that every now and again can’t be bad, especially as it’s temporary.
: I will give you a bit of my reasoning for saying its lightly agenda based. These words are used, "Choice, Glow, Curiosity, Rainbows, and more than once, as well as her quote not to call her a lady, and the "Lets be friends" quote. These are suggestive to the liberal agenda, and promoting beta male culture period. Do you think I am out of line for noticing this? Do you think it isn't liberal nonsense? It pervades every facet of movies and artistic expression in the mainstream media, including video games, which I like to play and enjoy, and don't need any liberal agendas infused into it. I hear that Riot doesn't want to get political, but here we are with clearly something that is, and that isn't the only example, Taliyah, Ekko, Illaoi, Varus, Rakan and Xayah, Riven, and Taric are all champs that strike me as somewhat agenda based design. The first three are the most woke though. Then while I am at it, we have the Cat champ and Zoe, which are just bad designs aesthetically. Let me ask you this one question ok. Does this game have zero SJW themed things in it?
I’m not sure how those champions are ‘agenda-based’, though. Taliyah and Illaoi because they’re not conventionally attractive? Varus because he’s three guys, two of ‘em gay, in a body? Taric I don’t see at all, he’s just heavy on the fanservice. Ekko rising up against the upper class, Xayah and Rakan being based on Native Americans and their plot showing it... I suppose you COULD call this “liberal”, but I still fail to see how a few champions have goals that line up with the viewpoints of a political party is some kind of sinister agenda. And if we want to go that route, the most liberal champ is probably Sylas, the guy is literally the head of a what is effectively a worker’s revolution. But you didn’t mention him, which I find odd. In these days, it’s rare for compelling stories to have nothing that can be seen as “political” if you stretch it enough. And while I’m not saying you’re stretching, I am saying that the current ideologies of many champions line up with the ideals of many players, in a rather diverse way. That’s why many are drawn to their main champions in the first place (aside from mechanics, obviously). I will not deny that this game has zero “SJW”, as you say, things in it. But “SJW” is really just a gross exaggeration of actually decent perspectives, and I’d say that it’s important for a few champions in this pool of ~150 to reflect those perspectives. Also, mods, I understand this post is infringing a bit on the “no politics” rule, but I hope you’d find it mostly neutral and not trying to start a flame war.
: Lux's obnoxious Voice Lines.
The social justice stuff seems like a bit of a reach. There is a bit of a metaphor in Lux’s lore about having to live in a society that discriminates against her for something she can’t control, so of course there’s gonna be SOME subtext. It’s in line with how the lore is written. I will concede that she has a bit too many light-based quotes, though. A lot of them are nice, but some get irritating fast. The “dating” lines are references to community ships, making them light-hearted fanservice at worst. I also fail to see how “hope you like rainbows!” is suggestive.
musixxal (EUW)
: urf jhin literally one shotting people
Say it with me, fellas: ##**I AM THE FAST** {{champion:202}} {{champion:202}} {{champion:202}} {{champion:202}}
WinDoos (EUNE)
: (unpopular opinion) Sneaky perfectly explains why NA can't compete
As much as I love Sneaky, you have a very good point. NA can do better, in general. He’s definitely entertaining enough that I’d like to see him analyze plays or even cast, but as far as pro playing I agree he’s not that good. But also, can we PLEASE stop with “Unpopular opinion: (popular opinion)” thread formats?
: The worst thing about how Riot develops Lore: Other champions don't evolve with them
While this is ideal in theory, in practice it's a hell of a lot easier to pump out a few stories that progress a champion's arc than it is to re-hire a voice actor to record the same lines. Particularly as most champions' VOs have become iconic over time, and a lot of champions' voice actors are considerably well-known in the field and might be busy with something else. I believe a lore Rioter on here has said that one of their favorite hobbies was coming up with new potential champion interactions in-game.
5050BS (NA)
: Riot Jumped the Shark with Yasuo. Everything after him is just down hill slop.
IMO Zoe was jumping the shark. We still got good stuff pretty regularly after Yasuo (Jhin, Kled, Xayah, Rakan, a few of the better reworks), but the only well-designed champs I can think of after Zoe are Swain, Nunu, and Pantheon.
: More than that, it makes it possible to appreciate them at **all**. League would be fucking miserable if every game was 60 minutes. Especially since games that long are just because one team can't close the game out.
This is also true. In my opinion the sweet spot is 30 minutes to 45 on average with 15 and 60 minute games being equally rare. The biggest problem is that games, at least in my bronze experience, rarely last longer than 35 minutes, and 15-20 minute games being much more common than 50-60 minute games.
: I had one 60 minutes game this season. In the end, everybody said. Good game, finally one. Stuff like that. Was good, hard a little bit of strategy from both sides. I miss that.
Those games are rare, but if there’s one good thing that this faster meta has brought, it’s that everyone appreciates those games more.
: What Legendary Skin did you get
Project Vayne, which wasn’t on the poll.
: Tencent caught fabricating loot box odds. Now trying to cover it up.
To be fair, this is Activision, and while Tencent has a majority stake in Activision, they don't fully control the company. While this does sound like something Tencent would do, this also sounds like something that Activision-Blizzard would do. So this might not be them at all. If it IS them, then we're screwed anyhow, as Tencent has a 100% stake in Riot, meaning they fully control the company. Not really sure what this post impacts aside from encouraging people to not buy loot boxes in any game created by a company that Tencent has majority stake in, which includes League of Legends, TFT, Wild Rift, and every other Riot property.
: So, that Zilean skin
I believe I found a Riot comment somewhere stating that a Zilean skin was in development, but they're not sure when it'll be out. So, that's something.
Jacksin (OCE)
: My take on Kai'sa
Main reason why I dislike Kai’Sa is less because she’s poorly written and more because she had so much potential and could have been better. I acknowledge that she definitely doesn’t deserve the amount of flak her design and character gets. Thoughtful post.
: Pretty sure that Mordekaiser playing guitar is not canon. Hell, I highly doubt that the entire League of Runeterra card game is canon, too. Just too much stuff in that card game that is a bit too ridiculous. Like Professor Yip building a battlesuit for his cat called Cataclysm or the T-Hex.
Some of it seems very much canon, but I will agree that cards like Cataclysm, the poro cards, or this one are unlikely. This one especially, as it actually shows five champions in its background art (including Twisted Fate, who should have no reason being there). Admittedly, Ekko does do an air guitar for his dance, so it is possible that guitars exist anyway.
Velasan (NA)
: Unpopular Opinion: Keep Zz'rot Portal
I do think that we should keep it, but can we PLEASE stop this trend of "Unpopular Opinion: [Popular Opinion]"
: I think he said something he wasn't supposed to, probably in regards to the Zed comic, be it here or elsewhere like on Reddit or Twitter. He's a good guy, but if he said something he wasn't supposed to, it doesn't really matter how good or active he is in the community.
Mmm, that makes sense. I do hope it’s not permanent, though.
: Had not noticed it. Still work at riot, but I know my red badge was to be taken away as a punishment, for accidentally upsetting the brand and communications folks. Looks like that has occurred.
But you're like one of fifteen Rioters that actually come here often! If anything, the communications folks should be thanking you.
Show more

HonestJohnTheCon

Level 73 (NA)
Lifetime Upvotes
Create a Discussion