Rioter Comments
Eyrgos (NA)
: NARRATIVE - come out of hiding
Jaredan, as a long time Lore fan, THANK YOU for actually responding, it shows us that you still care, and it actually gives us hope that you will listen to our pleads to fix your universe before working on fancy videos or webcomics. Just don't give us false hope, we are toxic yes, but we deserve to be after broken promises and time-frames never kept. We LOVE this game, we love its universe, so when half of it was brutally ripped away from us ... it hurt. What we want, and all we ever asked for are engaging backgrounds and a working universe, just look at J.K Rowlings Harry Potter Series or LOTR, do you think LOTR would have been interesting without Midgard, only following the characters in EXTREMELY short novels in their respective areas, do you think Harry Potter would have been engaging without Hogwarts to tie all of the characters together? We need a consistent universe with characters who has a background and depth, with Echo you have revealed things that has transformed him, but we know nothing about the character it self, only how he handles different types of situation, i want to know HOW he breaks friggin time, where he was born, why he is a street kid etc. /than00bs
: Kalista isn't the life and soul of the party, but there's a lot going on with her. We have to do a better job of showing it to you. I disagree that a character is one-dimensional because he or she isn't initially involved with a large variety of other Champions. Each character has to have a strong, cohesive thematic through-line and personality for them to make their interactions with other Champions exciting. If Champions were not interesting without others, none of them would be interesting.
> [{quoted}](name=Jaredan,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=kGhinZuR,comment-id=00040000000000070000,timestamp=2015-05-22T08:50:54.418+0000) > > Kalista isn't the life and soul of the party, but there's a lot going on with her. We have to do a better job of showing it to you. > > I disagree that a character is one-dimensional because he or she isn't initially involved with a large variety of other Champions. Each character has to have a strong, cohesive thematic through-line and personality for them to make their interactions with other Champions exciting. If Champions were not interesting without others, none of them would be interesting. Thats nice you have plans for him, what about skarner, the former tragic hero you turned in to a raid boss ? Is he getting love too? Or does this only apply for the new fancy champions?
: Though he does long for the past as being the Glorious Ruler of Shurima, what Azir is unaware of, and what puts him into a vulnerable position, is that he doesn't understand how much Runeterra has changed since the empire fell. Azir lost his family (or so it appears...), and grasps at the power and importance that he thinks still exists in order to make himself whole again, through his people. He believes himself benevolent (something Xerath may have been very wrong about), and that Shurima can only fully return through his guidance and will. There's a good chance he's got more to be sad about than he currently has any idea of. And if Xerath has anything to do with it, he will learn an extremely painful lesson.
> [{quoted}](name=Jaredan,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=kGhinZuR,comment-id=00000000000000000000,timestamp=2015-05-22T09:17:41.614+0000) > > Though he does long for the past as being the Glorious Ruler of Shurima, what Azir is unaware of, and what puts him into a vulnerable position, is that he doesn't understand how much Runeterra has changed since the empire fell. > > Azir lost his family (or so it appears...), and grasps at the power and importance that he thinks still exists in order to make himself whole again, through his people. He believes himself benevolent (something Xerath may have been very wrong about), and that Shurima can only fully return through his guidance and will. > > There's a good chance he's got more to be sad about than he currently has any idea of. And if Xerath has anything to do with it, he will learn an extremely painful lesson. This is a lovely explanation, how about you write these type of things in the champions lore so you dont have to explain it to us, that is all we ask Jaredan ...
: > Honest question, I'm not trying to attack you per se; but do you non-Narrative people read the lore? The old lore, with Judgments and JoJs. The new lore, with all of these videos. If you're going to come in here and talk lore with us, while you don't need to be an expert, you should at least be informed enough to ask thought-provoking questions based on that knowledge. It's frustrating to explain ourselves due to Rioters not knowing their old lore, and expect us to defend it. Sure, I should probably include my background context here. I've been playing League since just after Cassiopeia's release, and I joined Riot shortly before Braum's release. I'm pretty familiar with all of the lore; I've read every JoJ, every Judgement, every bio, obsessively followed the Redtracker, etc. I wouldn't say that I'm as heavily invested in the lore as you all, but I'm probably closer to your level of investment than I am to the average player's. I'm also invested in engaging with players, and I'm willing to wade into lore topics BECAUSE I have that background familiarity with it. I'll admit that I'd completely forgotten that Sivir was incredibly wealthy and had refused the invasion. But honestly, I forgot because those details couldn't actually mean anything. There wasn't really any conflict or intrigue left there for me, and all I remembered was "really good mercenary". Some of this could be personal preference too. For instance, I much prefer TV shows to movies. I like the cycle of "introduce questions, answer some, ask some more, etc." that shows leverage so well, so maybe I'm more forgiving of that in our lore?
> [{quoted}](name=Riot ShadowStorm,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=0lfN1fln,comment-id=0000000b00030003000000040000,timestamp=2015-05-18T01:03:35.382+0000) > > Sure, I should probably include my background context here. I've been playing League since just after Cassiopeia's release, and I joined Riot shortly before Braum's release. I'm pretty familiar with all of the lore; I've read every JoJ, every Judgement, every bio, obsessively followed the Redtracker, etc. > > I wouldn't say that I'm as heavily invested in the lore as you all, but I'm probably closer to your level of investment than I am to the average player's. I'm also invested in engaging with players, and I'm willing to wade into lore topics BECAUSE I have that background familiarity with it. > > I'll admit that I'd completely forgotten that Sivir was incredibly wealthy and had refused the invasion. But honestly, I forgot because those details couldn't actually mean anything. There wasn't really any conflict or intrigue left there for me, and all I remembered was "really good mercenary". > > Some of this could be personal preference too. For instance, I much prefer TV shows to movies. I like the cycle of "introduce questions, answer some, ask some more, etc." that shows leverage so well, so maybe I'm more forgiving of that in our lore? Hi Shadowstorm, first of all THANK YOU for actually responding to the fan-base, we appreciate this to great extent. The issue i see with the new Lore model are the following (this comes from a beta player, i know every piece of LOL lore from the inside out) 1. You do not have a consistent world: This is the biggest issue, your universe feels out of place with the removal of the League which was a giant mistake according to me, you removed "your Hogwarts" if I was to use the Harry Potter analogy. Sure there are tons of cool characters left, but all that tied them together no longer exists, no motivations or meetings make any sense what so ever anymore. This is YOUR BIGGEST issue by far! 2. Your character BIOS are too short: The introduction movies are "cool" but they teach us very little about the character, in every TV-series we have an introduction of the character which lays out a background, a motive, and greatly maps their personality so we know who we are dealing with. I can go for a mysterious past, but i NEED to know the personality of the character, who they are, what they stand for, what their motives are, what the LEADING ELEMENTS of their persona are. If we take Rek'Sai as an example ... WHY is she on summoners rift? It is obviously not her natural habitat, all of the living creatures there are extremely strong and dangerous pray with nutritional value very close to weaker pray. WHY would she duke it out on SR, and why the heck is SWAIN there, he is the leader of a nation, why not just send and army, and well .... see problem one. If i were too sum it up, you lack: * A consistent World with real motives * Detailed profiles and characters that feel alive Fix these two, like you did with SION, and we are gold, ignore them and i don't care how many fancy videos you put out, your game will forever remain hollow.
Filoscuro (EUW)
: Hi there. I'm an spanish summoner who read this thread and found it a very valuable opinion about lore and Riot Games, so I translated it into spanish, to allow all the summoners in Spain that visit the forums to read it. I hope you don't mind it (I gave all the credits to you and your insanely difficult to type summoner name) and I also hope Riot would someday hear us and pay more attention to the lore and lore fans. As they say in the Rift, GL and HF (Good Lag and Happy Feeders ;) ). PS: All the original content is written without italic, if you want to use it in LA forums or whatever you want ^^ PS2: thread translated: http://boards.euw.leagueoflegends.com/es/c/lore-e-historia/Yr4KZRUf-el-curioso-caso-del-lore-desaparecido PS3: also, if you or another north-american summoners wants to visit, we have a ["Lore and History" subforum](http://boards.euw.leagueoflegends.com/es/c/lore-e-historia), so you can get cozy there and argue about LoL backstory or ask about a certain champion
> [{quoted}](name=Filoscuro,realm=EUW,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=3bIHxbE5,comment-id=0011,timestamp=2015-05-13T19:13:41.356+0000) > > Hi there. I'm an spanish summoner who read this thread and found it a very valuable opinion about lore and Riot Games, so I translated it into spanish, to allow all the summoners in Spain that visit the forums to read it. I hope you don't mind it (I gave all the credits to you and your insanely difficult to type summoner name) and I also hope Riot would someday hear us and pay more attention to the lore and lore fans. As they say in the Rift, GL and HF (Good Lag and Happy Feeders ;) ). > > PS: All the original content is written without italic, if you want to use it in LA forums or whatever you want ^^ > > PS2: thread translated: http://boards.euw.leagueoflegends.com/es/c/lore-e-historia/Yr4KZRUf-el-curioso-caso-del-lore-desaparecido > > PS3: also, if you or another north-american summoners wants to visit, we have a ["Lore and History" subforum](http://boards.euw.leagueoflegends.com/es/c/lore-e-historia), so you can get cozy there and argue about LoL backstory or ask about a certain champion I am truly humbled, thank you so much for this, i never once thought about spreading my article to other forums! I hope this will create more awareness, and NLNF to you friend ( NO Lag No Feeders!) If you want to give me credit, give it to "than00bs", thats what im called on EU-west, feel free to add me, i might come back some day when ao-shin is released.
: > [{quoted}](name=IS1d51f7fd0f8e2764617b0,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=3bIHxbE5,comment-id=000e0001,timestamp=2015-05-12T18:25:09.653+0000) > > I already explained this, i made an NA account a long time ago, when they updated the boards it got changed to this, I'm called than00bs on EU West were i originally reside! Yes yes yes... but what stops you from using a name change to get it back into something normal?... you can use IP for name changes you know... AND they were on sale during MSI period.
> [{quoted}](name=TheGrandAlliance,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=3bIHxbE5,comment-id=000e00010000,timestamp=2015-05-12T20:59:22.498+0000) > > Yes yes yes... but what stops you from using a name change to get it back into something normal?... you can use IP for name changes you know... AND they were on sale during MSI period. But why would i, i like this random combination, and why would i waste ip on an account i never play on ?
: There is such a group! [Factions ](http://leaguefactions.net/)is a community that focuses on writing dynamic storylines determined by the performance of teams playing for each of the entities described by the League lore, as they imagine the League of Legends might operate in Runeterra.
> [{quoted}](name=freeformline,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=3bIHxbE5,comment-id=00090002,timestamp=2015-05-12T02:00:32.575+0000) > > There is such a group! [Factions ](http://leaguefactions.net/)is a community that focuses on writing dynamic storylines determined by the performance of teams playing for each of the entities described by the League lore, as they imagine the League of Legends might operate in Runeterra. And i love them, i am often online reading their work, however it is not official, and in the end they are just pretending, the world they love is no more, it only exists in their memories!
: LOL this thread is good an all... but what happened to your name? IS1d51f7fd0f8e2764617b0 ?????>...........................
> [{quoted}](name=TheGrandAlliance,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=3bIHxbE5,comment-id=000e,timestamp=2015-05-12T02:29:42.695+0000) > > LOL this thread is good an all... but what happened to your name? > > IS1d51f7fd0f8e2764617b0 ?????>........................... I already explained this, i made an NA account a long time ago, when they updated the boards it got changed to this, I'm called than00bs on EU West were i originally reside!
Poshriel (NA)
: I don't care much about the lore, but it's screwed up what they did. You can't blame them for wanting to make money, but they aren't exactly going broke. But if I sit there and bash for someone wanting the lore to be good, what am I really doing? Riot cut corners with the lore, and a couple of the remakes of champions have pretty much destroyed the characters as far as their unique feel. Not tristana though, as bad as she is, her theme is still there. I'm blabbering. The point is, they cut corners, and people on one side critique. Then it turns out they didn't listen to that critique, but acted like they did. Then they stay quite for awhile. What's the customer supposed to do here? Anymore it seems consumerism is just the opposite of it's name. And if it were just this, I'd say alright and not complain about it. But in all honesty, it's foolish to think that's the only place where the game could improve. I'd probably be blind to this, if I didn't live in Ohio. If you don't have a decent internet connection, you don't get to play ranked. And I'm not even on the east coast of the US, I'm on the east coast Ohio, I've got it easy. Guess what the people who were asking for East Coast servers are still waiting on? Yeah, how long has it been? I think either before the game was released or a little after that. And unlike lore, this directly affects people playing the game. I could have a gaming ready computer and still not be able to play this game to it's fullest. That's pretty big. For a company that scrapped the lore for game play, riot isn't cutting it in that department for anyone East of Arkansas. So now not only is there a line drawn between Lore lovers and the people defending the decisions of riot destroying the lore. There's a line drawn between people complaining about the lack of a middle ground server, and the people who live on the west side of the US. The sad thing is, when East side people bitch about it, I actually see west side people sticking up for them a lot of the time. Still, here we are, what was it 2009, wow 6 years, still nothing. If that doesn't speak words I don't know what will. I can't ignore the lore problem, because I can't ignore the server problem.
> [{quoted}](name=Poshriel,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=3bIHxbE5,comment-id=000f,timestamp=2015-05-12T12:15:04.905+0000) > > I don't care much about the lore, but it's screwed up what they did. You can't blame them for wanting to make money, but they aren't exactly going broke. Sorry for cutting your post in half, it was really long This truly describes what i feel as well, I'm glad i am not alone with thinking that this should not be ok!
: > Good for you, care to explain how all of us not wanting to adapt to the crude behavior RIOT has presented us with will do? > How we will adapt to them removing our favorite champions lore and personality, replacing it by a couple of lines of text. Because things WILL change. It is said "The only constant in this world is change itself." Whether you like it or not, things are going to alter. So you can do two things. You can try and fight it, rage and weep and hope something happens. And sometimes, who knows, maybe something will occur. But more often than not, it won't. So just accept it. Accept that things won't always swing your way. Just do your best with what you have. > And it has never been accepted in any other forms of media that suddenly several huge portions of a products foundation is removed, if so it has been met with media coverage and public outrage, at least if we are talking on a scale the size of LoL's. Because they're seperate things. When you remove a part of a movie, you're removing an integral part of what it is. That would be like removing the ability to right click from LoL. But removing lore is akin to replacing an actor. It might change the quality of the movie, but overall, the show will go on. > Something people seem to misunderstand that this post is not just bashing RIOT, its bashing the entire gaming industry, the only form of media allowed to release unfinished products, treating their customers like sh*t, without any real consequences. Gamers are pretty masochistic like that. We're willing to accept 9 bad things because we hope that 1 good thing will outweigh it. Whether it does or not is a different matter entirely, but thats just how we are. Hence why DLCs continue to work despite everyone hating them. > And I cant take RIOT seriously right now after pulling this stunt, especially with their lack off communication afterwards. I do agree the lack of communication hurt. Especially for such a big decision and backlash, it should be vital to keep fans notified of any and all updates and progress.
> [{quoted}](name=Narasimha,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=3bIHxbE5,comment-id=00070001000000000000,timestamp=2015-05-12T01:26:07.577+0000) > > Because things WILL change. It is said "The only constant in this world is change itself." Whether you like it or not, things are going to alter. So you can do two things. You can try and fight it, rage and weep and hope something happens. And sometimes, who knows, maybe something will occur. But more often than not, it won't. So just accept it. Accept that things won't always swing your way. Just do your best with what you have. > > Because they're seperate things. When you remove a part of a movie, you're removing an integral part of what it is. That would be like removing the ability to right click from LoL. But removing lore is akin to replacing an actor. It might change the quality of the movie, but overall, the show will go on. > > Gamers are pretty masochistic like that. We're willing to accept 9 bad things because we hope that 1 good thing will outweigh it. Whether it does or not is a different matter entirely, but thats just how we are. Hence why DLCs continue to work despite everyone hating them. > > I do agree the lack of communication hurt. Especially for such a big decision and backlash, it should be vital to keep fans notified of any and all updates and progress. This is a good post, and i hope we can keep this level of quality while debating further. Things may change, that does not mean they always should, and that they change for the better, things also revert back when it is clear something does not quite work, this is the true meaning of the word evolution. In this case two steps forward one step back is very fitting, because the current direction are not satisfying ANYONE who actually cared about lore as far as i know. And no, both are part of the entertainment area, just look at what happened to 2 1/2 men, when Charlie Sheen left the show lost a part of its soul. If George Lucas would suddenly announce that the force never existed people would most likely go banans, because it is such a vital part to his fictional universe. The removal of the Institute of war without any form of concluding event is the exact same thing, they simple cannot remove something this big and hope that people will not remember it as with the Meglings. The IoW is simply too integrated in LoL to be removed with such ease, it ties too much together, and now we have nothing to take its place. And how nice of you to be masochistic, however please do not speak for me or the millions of gamers out there, you may accept this bullsh*t, i most certainly do not, and i do not plan to because this is not professional work which should be expected by goddamn professionals WHICH IS WHAT THE LORE TEAM AND RIOT ARE! And on the final not i wholeheartedly agree, we do not see this with the same view, perhaps you have not been around for as long as me, perhaps you are more tolerant to this kind of behavior from a company, but im happy we both see it as an issue because that is what it is!
: Soemthing I'd like to point out is this is no different to some extent to what happened during the WOW changes only those forums had way more threads that all bascially went the same way. The one big difference is some of those that claimed to be passionate all but disappeared after the community got tired of their incessant rant threads and Blizzard stopped responding to them. There was a great many others however who wrote their own lore just as some have done on here and quite a bit was really good. Blizzard actually incorporated some of the ideas those lore writers did without much credit at times but they still took some of what was put out there. If all you're doing is complaining then you're not offering anything different or better than what's already going on. Put that passion to good use in a positive way and write some lore because otehrwise all this is turning into is a big rant fest that's obviously not going anywhere but hasn't for quite some time.
> [{quoted}](name=powerbats,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=3bIHxbE5,comment-id=000b,timestamp=2015-05-11T23:40:48.890+0000) > > Soemthing I'd like to point out is this is no different to some extent to what happened during the WOW changes only those forums had way more threads that all bascially went the same way. The one big difference is some of those that claimed to be passionate all but disappeared after the community got tired of their incessant rant threads and Blizzard stopped responding to them. There was a great many others however who wrote their own lore just as some have done on here and quite a bit was really good. > > > Blizzard actually incorporated some of the ideas those lore writers did without much credit at times but they still took some of what was put out there. If all you're doing is complaining then you're not offering anything different or better than what's already going on. Put that passion to good use in a positive way and write some lore because otehrwise all this is turning into is a big rant fest that's obviously not going anywhere but hasn't for quite some time. Jaredan has said to us outright they wont use any material created by the community, despite them doing so on several occasions in the past.
: https://twitter.com/marcmerrill
> [{quoted}](name=powerbats,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=3bIHxbE5,comment-id=000c,timestamp=2015-05-12T01:07:59.306+0000) > > https://twitter.com/marcmerrill Thank you for the link, i will definitely tweet him with a link to this page, however my main goal is to make this community think about not just RIOT, but at how the developers today are not playing by the same rules as other companies.
: > No, we cant take you seriously because you are defending removal of lore on the lore forums ..You're right, clearly he should be doing that in Gameplay and Balance >.>
> [{quoted}](name=powerbats,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=3bIHxbE5,comment-id=00040000000000000000000000000001000000000000000000010001,timestamp=2015-05-12T01:06:23.113+0000) > > I don't always post in certain forums I prefer to see what's written and think about it before posting on something this strongly presented by both sides. Also I agree how they've handled this is wrong and majorly so but I don't agree with how hositle some of the the lore crowd has gotten even when Riot's responded since for some only undoing the Retcon would be enough. So the flaming is counter productive for all involved sicne it drives those away that might help. > > > I've also pointed out as was pointed out to me by some of the lore fans that the head of the Narrative department is an open psoition so no ones currently in charge there. Also as the lore fans have pointed out that the 1 lore (not sure if it was lore or somone else)person who was helpful siad no one there knows what's going on at all. > > > How are they supposed to do anything without any leadership where it's currently everyone for themselves there right now? This is why I've suggested going over their heads to the managers above them that set priority for that deparment and continue up the food chain if you have too. If all else fails contact Marc Merril or Brandon Beck and get them invovled and explain how dissatisfied you are with the complete lack of a response as well as the bad responses you've gotten. > > > Try using social media to your advantage since you'll get way more notice that way than you'll do here where your complaints are basically falling on deaf ears but in the public eye of social media you'll get a lot of attention. Thank you for a really good response, I'm glad we could actually discuss the topic! I agree to some extent I may be too aggressive, and i have seem some threads that are down-right personal towards the developers which i find to be childish and not very well thought through. However it is as you say, the position is open, and has been so for a while, this should not be acceptable by a company of RIOT's size and influence. It might have been considered "ok" when they were the little guy, fresh in the very competitive scene of MOBA's. But as of now they are the champion, bigger then even DOTA2, its time they start acting like it, and get their act together. At the moment they are not handling this professionally, and they are professionals, this is what they do for a living. For me this is not so much about the lore it self compared to the rising problem of people accepting game developers treating them inadequate.
: Basically OP, we got bait & switched.
> [{quoted}](name=Migrañaboy,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=3bIHxbE5,comment-id=000a,timestamp=2015-05-11T23:09:26.067+0000) > > Basically OP, we got bait & switched. Ive noticed this, one thing that TRULY amuses me is that nobody is discussing the subject of the article, so far the only people to oppose me defend RIOT and their game, not the fact that it is only in gaming this type of customer service is considered acceptable. If you had problem with a product in a nearby electronics store, and an employee promised they would look at it, but you got stuck waiting for over half a year without any response, im pretty sure you would be ticked off at said employee by that time. This is no different, RIOT presents us with a product, yet fail to take responsibility for what many consider to be a mistake, and somehow think that ignoring us will make it all better and acceptable for a company?
: > No, we cant take you seriously because you are defending removal of lore on the lore forums ..You're right, clearly he should be doing that in Gameplay and Balance >.>
> [{quoted}](name=Narasimha,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=3bIHxbE5,comment-id=0004000000000000000000000000000100000000000000000001,timestamp=2015-05-11T23:52:17.291+0000) > > ..You're right, clearly he should be doing that in Gameplay and Balance >.> Fair point, but if you do look through his posts he has not been talking about lore very much. He has instead been talking about how hard RIOT is working, just a newsflash while we are at it, RIOT is one of the most successful developers in the world right now with a huge influence over the e-sport market, what example are they setting to the rest of the dev's through this ? That it is acceptable as a company providing a product to completely ignore paying customers, that not responding to them will make it better, and that because some of their customers are content with their product, they can suddenly ignore several customers who are not content with what they bought. This is not how it works in ANY OTHER FORM OF BUSINESS, and RIOT isn't your nice uncle, they are a BUSINESS which you also concluded. Why are you adapting to this, when it clearly isn't acceptable behavior from their side ? Does them being gaming developers suddenly remove them from all the responsibilities all other companies must consider ?
: I'll enter my spiel, tired as I am 1. You hit the nail right on the head. Riot wants to deliver a PRODUCT. For better or for worse, lore is not a crucial part of that product. All they're interested in delivering is the gameplay. Everything else exists as a supplement to that. You can cut away the supplements, but not the prime material. 2. Not relevant at all. They want to make a unique page for lore, and they're having troubles with that. Whether thats true or not, not my concern. Their videos and animations? All on Youtube. 3. Indeed, thats why I don't pay for bad products. I pay for good ones, like DJ Sona, and PROJECT: Yasuo. Or are you saying the lack of lore somehow makes everything else horrible? 4. You're dead right. Lore enhances a game. WHEN the game is able to support it. Hence why MMOs like SWToR and Neverwinter thrive off their lore, while others like TERA have the bear bones. And yet, TERA is still pretty damn popular. Why? Because you focus on the strengths. TERA made up for its loss of story with its amazing gameplay. And LoL went along the same vein. Also, the Killzone series, to my knowledge, is a single player game(s). Hence why story is able to have more of a focus. 5. Here's the kicker: I'm a lore fan too. The difference is, I've always been good at adapting. The Great Retcon has gone through. Lore is not as strong a priority as it once was. There's pretty much nothing we can do about it. Sure, you can whine, and cry, and rage at Riot. It's a waste of energy, but hey, you do what you want to do. Or you can go down the other road. You can say "C'est la vie" and just accept it. For me, the loss of the lore sucks. Yeah, it had the potential to be something. But I don't let it ruin the rest of the experience. The game is still as fun as ever (minus the toxic players). The characters are still pretty damn interesting. Life is always going to throw things at you that you don't like. Sometimes you can roll with it, sometimes you can't. And if you can't fight it, just work with it.
> [{quoted}](name=Narasimha,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=3bIHxbE5,comment-id=000700010000,timestamp=2015-05-11T23:47:19.157+0000) > > I'll enter my spiel, tired as I am Thank you for an excellent and thought out post, I'm glad to see that there are people who actually take the time to read and analyze what i write. My response will be touching mainly point 5. Good for you, care to explain how all of us not wanting to adapt to the crude behavior RIOT has presented us with will do? How we will adapt to them removing our favorite champions lore and personality, replacing it by a couple of lines of text. I never ever in my statement said LoL was a bad game, just that i personally do not find joy in it since what i held dearest, the lore, or at least the foundation of it, removed. And it has never been accepted in any other forms of media that suddenly several huge portions of a products foundation is removed, if so it has been met with media coverage and public outrage, at least if we are talking on a scale the size of LoL's. Something people seem to misunderstand that this post is not just bashing RIOT, its bashing the entire gaming industry, the only form of media allowed to release unfinished products, treating their customers like sh*t, without any real consequences. For gaming to evolve to a socially acceptable art-form, this is a step that has to be made for non-gamers to take them seriously. And I cant take RIOT seriously right now after pulling this stunt, especially with their lack off communication afterwards.
: Harsh, no wonder Riot isn't giving us any updates on the lore
> [{quoted}](name=TonyTonyMordecai,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=3bIHxbE5,comment-id=00040000000000000000000000000001000000000001,timestamp=2015-05-11T20:28:01.107+0000) > > Harsh, no wonder Riot isn't giving us any updates on the lore Now see, this is where i just cant take you seriously, you are trying to defend the silence of a company who has outraged their community, they "broke" the lore by removing it. The silence from RIOT's side would be the equivalent of Apple not responding to their fans when the Iphone Bendgate scandal happened. They broke something important to US, and they havent fixed it, and they havent said they are going to fix it. If you have nothing to add to this discussion about LORE and the removal of LORE in games as a current problem then please remove yourself from the STORY = LORE and arts board. You are discussing nothing, the only thing you seem to be able to discuss is a failed defense mechanism of a company who will reward you with nothing, and who owes you nothing. And before you respond with yet another "b-b-but l-l-lore nerds, RIOT are good, i love their game" We also enjoy the game, but we HATE what they have done to the LORE and all it stood for. Now shut your pie-hole unless you have something LORE related to contribute with, so far you have contributed NONE, and if you continue to spew your unrelated fanboyism in my thread i will simply ignore you, since this thread is in the STORY and ART forum.
LeeDark (NA)
: What the fuck are you talking about? Ahri and Zyra already HAD lore. Rek'sai didn't get shit compared to the League Judgments and such we used to get. Azir's story is the only one that comes close, and even it ruined Xerath. The characters in the Shurima event are cliche' and the writing, honestly, wasn't all that great. Not that Narrative has EVER actually been good at their jobs, but at least before the retcon, they fucked up less. Here's what you don't really get. Most of us lore fans DON'T expect a response anymore. Narrative has lost our trust, tried to gain it back, made a bunch of false promises, and then lost it again. For us to actually expect anything from them now would be the height of naivete'. Your admonitions of "Stop being so mean and maybe they'll respond" only prove you haven't been a regular here. We gave them the benefit of the doubt, even AFTER they fucked us once, and all we got were more broken promises. I'm sure they still read the Story and Art Boards, though, so I'm content with letting them know they should all be fired. I'm not kidding. "Oh, that's so mean, you're talking about people's JOBS and livelihoods!" Don't care. Where I come from, you earn your paycheck, and they sure as fuck aren't.
> [{quoted}](name=LeeDark,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=3bIHxbE5,comment-id=000400000000000000000000000000010000000000000002,timestamp=2015-05-11T20:51:08.725+0000) > > What the fuck are you talking about? Ahri and Zyra already HAD lore. Rek'sai didn't get shit compared to the League Judgments and such we used to get. Azir's story is the only one that comes close, and even it ruined Xerath. The characters in the Shurima event are cliche' and the writing, honestly, wasn't all that great. Not that Narrative has EVER actually been good at their jobs, but at least before the retcon, they fucked up less. > > Here's what you don't really get. Most of us lore fans DON'T expect a response anymore. Narrative has lost our trust, tried to gain it back, made a bunch of false promises, and then lost it again. For us to actually expect anything from them now would be the height of naivete'. Your admonitions of "Stop being so mean and maybe they'll respond" only prove you haven't been a regular here. We gave them the benefit of the doubt, even AFTER they fucked us once, and all we got were more broken promises. > > I'm sure they still read the Story and Art Boards, though, so I'm content with letting them know they should all be fired. I'm not kidding. "Oh, that's so mean, you're talking about people's JOBS and livelihoods!" Don't care. Where I come from, you earn your paycheck, and they sure as fuck aren't. Thank you Lee Dark, you summed up exactly what i was going to say, their betrayal and sudden silence felt like a kidney punch, and the silence after it felt like a kick to the groin following said punch. We have lost all our faith, and the longer this goes on, we will probably become more desperate and bitter until the point we simply stop playing, like myself.
: > [{quoted}](name=IS1d51f7fd0f8e2764617b0,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=3bIHxbE5,comment-id=000400000000000000000000000000010000000000000000,timestamp=2015-05-11T20:09:57.903+0000) > > No, we cant take you seriously because you are defending removal of lore on the lore forums Wrong, I never stated I was defending removal of lore on the forums so nice Straw Man. You conveniently ignore dthe parts where I said I agreed with you on some things and liked the Institute of War and it's stories.
> [{quoted}](name=powerbats,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=3bIHxbE5,comment-id=0004000000000000000000000000000100000000000000000000,timestamp=2015-05-11T20:36:40.345+0000) > > Wrong, I never stated I was defending removal of lore on the forums so nice Straw Man. You conveniently ignore dthe parts where I said I agreed with you on some things and liked the Institute of War and it's stories. I will not respond to your posts from this point. After checking your history on these forums it has become apparent you are a troll, a skilled troll at that so i applaud you, you truly got me. However since i take this discussion seriously, as this is a problem affecting the entire gaming industry today, i will simply ignore your posts since you so far have brought very little of value from **my** point of view. Lets agree to disagree and have it at that. But please restrain yourself from being cynical towards us, i am not insulting you, so please be a civilized gamer and try to stay civil. And if you have nothing to add regarding the LORE TEAM the LORE or the fact that developers today remove or ignore LORE in favor of rushing other aspects of a game, please feel free to post on any forum, but this one.
: > [{quoted}](name=Subject 5,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=3bIHxbE5,comment-id=0009,timestamp=2015-05-11T20:27:47.938+0000) > > Why not start a group that inserts their own lore into the game? I mean as of right now Riot is basically ignoring anybody who speaks about the lore with the exception of pulling a 'Destiny' in there 'Ask questions that might be answered, you know, small things. Not lore.' > > https://youtu.be/gzopWRXK_r4?t=5m20s I've been suggesting this for awhile but it gets brushed off as I don't know what I'm talking about, Riot fanboi and verious other insults because it's so much easier to complain about something than actually do something about it. There's beena f ew of the lore fans who've actually started this but they get drowned out by the ramapnt qq flame thread posters flooding the forums. Besides as I and others have been pointing out Riot's stated they won't respond anymore to flame rant threads because they don't want to reward that type of poster nor should they.
> [{quoted}](name=powerbats,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=3bIHxbE5,comment-id=00090001,timestamp=2015-05-11T20:39:52.331+0000) > > I've been suggesting this for awhile but it gets brushed off as I don't know what I'm talking about, Riot fanboi and verious other insults because it's so much easier to complain about something than actually do something about it. > > There's beena f ew of the lore fans who've actually started this but they get drowned out by the ramapnt qq flame thread posters flooding the forums. Besides as I and others have been pointing out Riot's stated they won't respond anymore to flame rant threads because they don't want to reward that type of poster nor should they. The problem with this is that it does not have any real impact on the game, and it wont clear up the whole mess the lore team has created, only they can truly fix this.
: > [{quoted}](name=LeeDark,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=3bIHxbE5,comment-id=0004000000000000000000000000000100000000,timestamp=2015-05-11T19:42:21.110+0000) > > I tried reading, but I had trouble translating from idiot to normal language. If you'd rather be playing the game, then get the fuck out the story boards. Seriously, get lost if you don't actually have an interest in the subject, troll. This is why most of us don't take you seriously anymore it's the believe my messiah ways or you're satan attiude. Many of us enjoy both playing the game as well as have an interest in the subject. We just don't feel acting like 2 year olds that got their toy taken away is all. For the record I enjoyed the Institue of war and it's stories but always felt there could be more done to bring it out and like you I was disappointed when it was removed. But unlike you I've seen some of what they can do with how Ahri was done, Zyra, Azir, Rek'Sai etc. These were all champions that have had in depth lore done but according to you and the rest there's been no lore done. When you've got well voer 100+ champions and you're trying to tie all their lore in especially with the rewoks being done aka Sion it's going to take time especially if you want to have it all come out at once and not be piecemeal. Wow changed it's lore repeatedly and quite often badly so with teh expansions when they changed stuff up they didn't do it piecemeal but told whole stories at once and in sections isntead of lore for 1 character at a time. The quote is pretty apt here to describe you and the others that do nothing but flame here expecting a response. If it hasn't worked so far why do you expect anything different when it's been stated by Riot repeatedly they won't respond to flame posts?
> [{quoted}](name=powerbats,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=3bIHxbE5,comment-id=00040000000000000000000000000001000000000000,timestamp=2015-05-11T19:57:37.302+0000) > > This is why most of us don't take you seriously anymore it's the believe my messiah ways or you're satan attiude. Many of us enjoy both playing the game as well as have an interest in the subject. We just don't feel acting like 2 year olds that got their toy taken away is all. > > > For the record I enjoyed the Institue of war and it's stories but always felt there could be more done to bring it out and like you I was disappointed when it was removed. But unlike you I've seen some of what they can do with how Ahri was done, Zyra, Azir, Rek'Sai etc. These were all champions that have had in depth lore done but according to you and the rest there's been no lore done. > > > When you've got well voer 100+ champions and you're trying to tie all their lore in especially with the rewoks being done aka Sion it's going to take time especially if you want to have it all come out at once and not be piecemeal. Wow changed it's lore repeatedly and quite often badly so with teh expansions when they changed stuff up they didn't do it piecemeal but told whole stories at once and in sections isntead of lore for 1 character at a time. > > > The quote is pretty apt here to describe you and the others that do nothing but flame here expecting a response. If it hasn't worked so far why do you expect anything different when it's been stated by Riot repeatedly they won't respond to flame posts? No, we cant take you seriously because you are defending removal of lore on the lore forums
: Yo! Champion Update Team is alive and well, and they are currently working very hard on several projects! They still have a long list of champs that need various tiers of updates. As far as MTU's go, all the teams planned MTU's have been completed. Hopefully this was helpful! :3
> [{quoted}](name=Riot Galetta,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=JARKe826,comment-id=0003,timestamp=2015-05-07T21:30:35.351+0000) > > Yo! > > Champion Update Team is alive and well, and they are currently working very hard on several projects! They still have a long list of champs that need various tiers of updates. As far as MTU's go, all the teams planned MTU's have been completed. Hopefully this was helpful! :3 What about the Lore team, are they even alive at this point ?
: The game is always going to be a "passive and repeating process" because that is exactly what League is: a game with a repeating goal that doesn't effect the outcome of the story. How have you been lied to? They didn't like the direction the "summoners" have been going, and they needed to get rid of it and make something new so that they didn't have to constantly tie in the champions to the summoners and such and such. The reason they are being quiet is because if they aren't, then they might as well not wait until their new lore is finished and just give us updates every time they create a new paragraph for Kog'Maw's lore. I know all you lore junkies are upset that you can't read up on Ezreal's last epic adventure, but all sarcasm aside, be patient. Riot is working on MANY other things at the moment, such as Ekko and Visual Updates and Gameplay Updates and the likes, and I'm sure that they are working as quickly as possible to get their new lore out so that everything ties together and everything makes sense. Just be patient. I'm sure everyone in the Story department is annoyed when they have to see another post begging for a lore update.
> [{quoted}](name=TonyTonyMordecai,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=3bIHxbE5,comment-id=0004000000000000000000000000,timestamp=2015-05-11T18:01:00.679+0000) > > The game is always going to be a "passive and repeating process" because that is exactly what League is: a game with a repeating goal that doesn't effect the outcome of the story. > > How have you been lied to? They didn't like the direction the "summoners" have been going, and they needed to get rid of it and make something new so that they didn't have to constantly tie in the champions to the summoners and such and such. > The reason they are being quiet is because if they aren't, then they might as well not wait until their new lore is finished and just give us updates every time they create a new paragraph for Kog'Maw's lore. > > I know all you lore junkies are upset that you can't read up on Ezreal's last epic adventure, but all sarcasm aside, be patient. Riot is working on MANY other things at the moment, such as Ekko and Visual Updates and Gameplay Updates and the likes, and I'm sure that they are working as quickly as possible to get their new lore out so that everything ties together and everything makes sense. > > Just be patient. I'm sure everyone in the Story department is annoyed when they have to see another post begging for a lore update. 1. It has not always been a repeating process unlike you who are spewing out the same trash you did in your last post. Did you even read my response, if so please read it again, it has gone from being an evolving process to reaching a standstill, something very negative. 2. They have lied to us as they said that they will post updates and that the retcon should be finished in "a couple of months", since then there has only been an awkward silence. That is a straight up lie, right to the face of the fan-base. 3. And i understand they are busy with many projects, but may i ask you, since when does the game devs work on lore, they do not, the lore team work on lore and they aren't giving us squat. I have been patient for years now, im done waiting, hence why i recently quit LOL, i waited for three years for the delayed texture update on Summoners Rift (google project shiny), i gave up on waiting for Magma Chamber, luckily so. I don't have the patience, and i don't honestly care as much as i used to, however i still find this behavior which several gaming companies today display to be unacceptable, and i can not for what it's worth understand why you would accept it. We have every right to be annoyed, a serious developer announces things within a acceptable time-frame, and they apologize if they were wrong about, giving continuous updates along the process. We have not even gotten an apology, just the occasional snide remark. And when we see them responding to every goddamn art-thread on this sub-forum, how could we not be pissed, they are acting like the cartoon ostrichges putting their heads in the sand hoping we will go away, not realizing we are paying customers.
: I'm pretty sure we are adding a month to when Riot is going to release the new "lore" every time we beg for them to give us something. Be patient and just play the game instead of reading it, my god. And whatever the champions are "fighting for" doesn't matter because the matches are just a paradox of the same event and has no real bearing on the rest of the "story" in League.
> [{quoted}](name=TonyTonyMordecai,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=3bIHxbE5,comment-id=00040000000000000000,timestamp=2015-05-11T17:45:36.319+0000) > > I'm pretty sure we are adding a month to when Riot is going to release the new "lore" every time we beg for them to give us something. > Be patient and just play the game instead of reading it, my god. > > And whatever the champions are "fighting for" doesn't matter because the matches are just a paradox of the same event and has no real bearing on the rest of the "story" in League. It used to have effects, the special icons, special items, in-game events. They are no longer present, and nowadays the game is as you say a passive and repeating process without any meaning expect to gain rank. Just because you feel fine without the lore having impact does not necessarily mean the other players do. You can ridicule us, and tell us we are wrong, but this is how we feel, and I'm not sure why we suddenly are considered "not important" since the lore fanboys make up a huge number of the first LOL players. I do not feel like being patient after being lied to for over half a year, its like the case of HL3, im just tired and disappointed... im tired of expecting more from the company i once used to love (though i still love Valve, just not the HL3 part). To hint something, and then keep quiet for over half a year without confirming nor denying anything is just not acceptable, not communicating with the player base in a constantly updated online game is not acceptable.
Aelvr (NA)
: I'd like to start by saying that the lore retcon was not the best way to go about things; at least, not without a fully-developed lore to be released, but obviously, Riot didn't have the extra resources to deliver on that. Oops. So the retcon was dumb. However, I'd like to point out a few things: 1. The whole thing comes off as whiny, and uber-traditionalist; not the positive kind of traditionalist that likes old things, but the negative kind of traditionalist that hates new things. This article is pretty quick to pile up the blame and pretty slow to deliver on solutions. 2. A lot of your accusations are false. If Riot didn't care about the lore, then why did they bother retconning it in the first place? Why not just let it gather dust, ignored, like it did all throughout Season II? 3. Companies are motivated by revenue? Shocker of the year. What's really shocking is that people expect differently from them. They _do_ have to put bacon on the table, after all, as well as generate large amounts of capital to be able to fund the real artists to create the content we all crave. Accusing the indiviudual writers of being mercenary instead would actually make sense, instead of "blaming" the rock for being solid. 4. The information that lore is one of LoL's primary hooks for many fans and the assertion that lore does not sell are logically inconsistent. Which is it? Are people not engaged by lore? Or are they willing to spend time and money on a game that does not engage them? This doesn't make any sense. 5. Unless your primary source of income is from a LoL stream, you don't have to lose sleep wondering if LoL won't be there tomorrow. There's always literature for fictional engagement, and unlike video game designers, writers much less restricted by production costs, and therefore are (slightly more) free to speak their mind, without a corporation getting in the way. And all things in this life are temporary, anyway, it's best not to get overly-attached. {{champion:83}} "Everything has an expiration date." I'm not trying to say that the lore is fine. I'm just saying that we should focus on criticizing the lore itself, rather than becoming woeful prophets and demanding that Riot break time and space to undo their mistake. At this point, the latter might not even be the best thing to do, even if Riot could. Cut the poor reds some slack. They are obviously embarrassed enough.
> [{quoted}](name=Aelvr,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=3bIHxbE5,comment-id=0007,timestamp=2015-05-11T08:34:22.648+0000) > > I'd like to start by saying that the lore retcon was not the best way to go about things; at least, not without a fully-developed lore to be released, but obviously, Riot didn't have the extra resources to deliver on that. Oops. So the retcon was dumb. > > However, I'd like to point out a few things: > > 1. The whole thing comes off as whiny, and uber-traditionalist; not the positive kind of traditionalist that likes old things, but the negative kind of traditionalist that hates new things. This article is pretty quick to pile up the blame and pretty slow to deliver on solutions. > 2. A lot of your accusations are false. If Riot didn't care about the lore, then why did they bother retconning it in the first place? Why not just let it gather dust, ignored, like it did all throughout Season II? > 3. Companies are motivated by revenue? Shocker of the year. What's really shocking is that people expect differently from them. They _do_ have to put bacon on the table, after all, as well as generate large amounts of capital to be able to fund the real artists to create the content we all crave. Accusing the indiviudual writers of being mercenary instead would actually make sense, instead of "blaming" the rock for being solid. > 4. The information that lore is one of LoL's primary hooks for many fans and the assertion that lore does not sell are logically inconsistent. Which is it? Are people not engaged by lore? Or are they willing to spend time and money on a game that does not engage them? This doesn't make any sense. > 5. Unless your primary source of income is from a LoL stream, you don't have to lose sleep wondering if LoL won't be there tomorrow. There's always literature for fictional engagement, and unlike video game designers, writers much less restricted by production costs, and therefore are (slightly more) free to speak their mind, without a corporation getting in the way. And all things in this life are temporary, anyway, it's best not to get overly-attached. {{champion:83}} "Everything has an expiration date." > > I'm not trying to say that the lore is fine. I'm just saying that we should focus on criticizing the lore itself, rather than becoming woeful prophets and demanding that Riot break time and space to undo their mistake. At this point, the latter might not even be the best thing to do, even if Riot could. Cut the poor reds some slack. They are obviously embarrassed enough. Im having a hard time taking you seriously, but i will answer you: 1: Of course I'm whiny, i stated that at the very beginning. However i would like to clarify why, this i s not me being uber traditionalist about "how i prefer games". This is part of something bigger, of the game developers wanted to be taken seriously as an art form, yet fail to deliver a complete product. You don't pay to watch half a series on television, just to be forced to pay extra to see the end of it. Films rarely have noticeable mistakes in the final cut, and if they do they get called out for it almost instantly. Developers today release a buggy product (death-recap anyone) and expect us to pay full price for it, for them to MAYBE fix it in a month, LOL is at the moment not anywhere near complete with a shitton of bugs, and at the moment a non-existing lore. RIOT wasn't always like this, and it saddens me and other veterans. 2: I thought so as well at first, but its been SO LONG without any response what so ever to our calls and pleads for at least HINT of information. We have only been given bullsh*t details about a "technical issue" no other forum what-so-ever seem to have. They can upload videos and animations, but not text? 3: Of course they are, but I for one am not willing to pay for a sh*t product, and neither should you. Are you truly happy to be a sheep accepting what is handed to you, are you that afraid to ask for more? 4: This is just a stupid conclusion. Period. Lore does not sell in the same the game itself does. Very few buys a game to only read its lore, but lore can make a game SO MUCH MORE then just a game. It enhances the experience, it allows you to connect with the character, and in the end you may become a an of the series due to its lore. For me this was the case with Killzone, i never really enjoyed military shooters, but the dark and gritty story of the conflict with Helghan connected with me and i became obsessed with it, in a wonderful and magical way. 5: Of course it will be there tomorrow, i have stopped playing since about a month actually, and even though i sometimes lurk the forums, i dont long to play it again as of now. I used to love coming back to Lol, but i have lost that connection, and it saddens me greatly that it no longer holds any sentimental value to me. I simply feel betrayed, and I'm angry and sad for all of the other lore fans out there who probably feel the same way. Just because you do not share my point of view, do not attempt to act like you understand me or any of the lore fans. You made it perfectly clear in your statements you play this for the online experience and do not care about the lore, i however do, and so does a lot of other people. And we are not happy with the current state of things.
Aelvr (NA)
: >As it stands, the game is effectively on par with things like Candy Crush or Tetris; a fun little time sink, but nothing that you could possibly become invested in. Not even close. Whoa. Speak for yourself, man. I liked the old lore, too, but I wouldn't say that League isn't engaging by a long shot.
> [{quoted}](name=Aelvr,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=3bIHxbE5,comment-id=00040000,timestamp=2015-05-11T08:38:23.487+0000) > > Whoa. Speak for yourself, man. I liked the old lore, too, but I wouldn't say that League isn't engaging by a long shot. It sure is engaging at first with its fancy videos, but when you actually try to learn anything, you are met by two lines of text and nothing more, it gives the illusion of being engaging, nothing more.
: Your username suggests much.
> [{quoted}](name=Biff Manly,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=3bIHxbE5,comment-id=0003,timestamp=2015-05-11T02:38:45.810+0000) > > Your username suggests much. Not sure if it appears as random numbers and text for you as well, i am originally an EU player, but a long long time ago the NA servers were actually better to play on than the Eu-servers despite me living in EU, so i temporarily made an NA account. On EU west im called "than00bs"
: it makes me kinda sad this will just disappear into the wind.... because; only you can hear me summoner....
> [{quoted}](name=Wickedfates,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=3bIHxbE5,comment-id=0005,timestamp=2015-05-11T03:50:27.734+0000) > > it makes me kinda sad this will just disappear into the wind.... because; only you can hear me summoner.... Feels ...
Sneak Dog (EUW)
: 1. I agree, the OP is overly dramatic and exaggerating. Tends to happen when one has been ignored for two years I suppose. 2. is actually pointing out something odd. Riot seems to not care about lore, using it only to generate some hype for the newest champion atm, but did bother to retcon the premise. 3. Some companies just make a good product and assume revenue comes. Others try to get good revenue, so they make a good game. Mindset and feel more than anything with this argument. Riot is a bit fuzzy where they stand for me. 5. I care about the old lore. Seeing Riot cut it apart, taking pieces Riot likes while tossing out other pieces that I liked isn't the greatest feeling. I want to like Riots lore though, so giving Riot feedback seems the most efficient here. Personally, I don't think the issue is the lack of lore. Losing the game to lore relation makes both a lot less interesting for me. Knowing Riot has and probably will completely remove(d) characters I like and play is my real issue though.
> [{quoted}](name=Sneak Dog,realm=EUW,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=3bIHxbE5,comment-id=00070000,timestamp=2015-05-11T11:11:39.552+0000) > > 1. I agree, the OP is overly dramatic and exaggerating. Tends to happen when one has been ignored for two years I suppose. > > 2. is actually pointing out something odd. Riot seems to not care about lore, using it only to generate some hype for the newest champion atm, but did bother to retcon the premise. > > 3. Some companies just make a good product and assume revenue comes. Others try to get good revenue, so they make a good game. Mindset and feel more than anything with this argument. Riot is a bit fuzzy where they stand for me. > > 5. I care about the old lore. Seeing Riot cut it apart, taking pieces Riot likes while tossing out other pieces that I liked isn't the greatest feeling. I want to like Riots lore though, so giving Riot feedback seems the most efficient here. > > Personally, I don't think the issue is the lack of lore. Losing the game to lore relation makes both a lot less interesting for me. Knowing Riot has and probably will completely remove(d) characters I like and play is my real issue though. 1. Straight on, i feel betrayed, and considering the amount of angry threads popping up here, i am probably not alone in this 3. CD-Project is a perfect example of this, they do not rush their games, they care about the source to the game, and they truly care for their community. LOL is more like EA and assassins-creed at this point "LOOK AT THIS FANCY NEW CHARACTER AND THESE FANCY OUTFITS (and don't mind the bugs or lack of background)"
Motajo (NA)
: > [{quoted}](name=Wickedfates,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=3bIHxbE5,comment-id=0005,timestamp=2015-05-11T03:50:27.734+0000)only you can hear me summoner.... "Tactical decision, Summoner" Man, it'll hurt when they scrap that one...
> [{quoted}](name=Motajo,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=3bIHxbE5,comment-id=00050000,timestamp=2015-05-11T15:15:21.411+0000) > > "Tactical decision, Summoner" Man, it'll hurt when they scrap that one... Yup, or "You only need to click once ... FOOL" What fool, who's clicking what, is he talking to a squirrel eating nuts?
: Fair enough; I certainly wasn't trying to speak for everyone, it's just my opinion. I still like a lot of my favorite champions, but without a properly fleshed out world/story even the most vibrant characters end up feeling hollow. When it comes down to it, I can't possibly remain invested after close to a year of effectively nothing (Sion rework notwithstanding). (To be perfectly clear, when I say the game isn't engaging, I'm speaking from a storytelling perspective; the gameplay itself is perfectly fine).
> [{quoted}](name=KING OF MASKS,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=3bIHxbE5,comment-id=000400000000,timestamp=2015-05-11T15:30:44.139+0000) > > Fair enough; I certainly wasn't trying to speak for everyone, it's just my opinion. I still like a lot of my favorite champions, but without a properly fleshed out world/story even the most vibrant characters end up feeling hollow. When it comes down to it, I can't possibly remain invested after close to a year of effectively nothing (Sion rework notwithstanding). > > (To be perfectly clear, when I say the game isn't engaging, I'm speaking from a storytelling perspective; the gameplay itself is perfectly fine). Absolutely my point! When I'm picking Vi, Azir or Skarner. I want to feel what they are fighting for, i like to imagine how they will react to a problem, and often choose my main based on my somewhat calculating and slightly "cold" point of view (Viktor, Swain, Veigar, Rengar, Sejuani). As of now i feel like I've lost that connection, and it both frightens and saddens me.
: Nicely written. Personally, I see a general trend in videogaming. In the beginning of a game series, the story and setting will place a decent amount of focus on setting up the game, and not only explaining but striving to provide reason for certain gameplay mechanics (the best example here is the dwelling system from Heroes of Might and Magic being an actual thing brought up in the game's lore). As the game goes on to become popular enough to be something established, players will be familiar with the concepts and more ready to just simply accept them as gameplay aspects segregated from the setting and story as is usually the case. And as such the focus on the story will be more to drive a coherent engaging narrative, drawing established players who follow the storyline to stay invested rather than support the game's own concepts. And then when the gameplay stands completely on it's own the story concepts driving the game and it's story together will be pushed into the background, if not forgotten entirely (or in this case ripped out violently and left bleeding for 8 months). --- In a way, it's perfectly understandable that once your primary concern for the story isn't how to fit the game into it you'll want to tell a story about more than just the gameplay itself. But more and more I think the mistake lies in trying to tell traditional media stories (books, videos, movies, music, etc.) rather than telling a story through a game. A game-focused story can feel restricting if you wanna write for a book, a movie or a comic. Maybe they should try writing for a game instead? One of my favourite (in retrospect) stories from the old lore is Rengar vs Kha'zix. And how their story is actually in part told via the game. The story is a really simple one: Ultimate Hunter vs Ultimate Predator both meet their finest and only match, and now seek each other as the ultimate prey. In the old Lore, they find their way to the League of Legends and keep hunting each other there. When they meet on the Fields of Justice, The Hunt Is On. And the first to slay the other once they get going wins the otherwise eternal rivalry. One day, Rengar wins and carries Kha'zix' head as a trophy for the entire rest of the match (and possibly the afterparty? 0.o). Another time, Kha'zix wins and can fully evolve in a way beyond his normal limits. And it keeps going for this, a tale of no end, yet of many. And... seeing as they are both equal viewpoint protagonists, the traditional telling of this story, would be a case of each chapter being them catching each other, one getting the upper hand and seemingly winning... but just before they can deliver the finishing blow, something comes up/gets in the way and they let the target slip... and then that repeats ad infinitum. Both are stories with no proper end (because you can't kill off a character who's playable in the game, you just can't. Besides if either wins then both of their stories end, permanently, because hunting each other is what their entire story is about) but at least the one from the old lore doesn't require silly cliches (best one would have to be the "nah, i'ma let him go because otherwise the ~~story finishes~~ my life loses purpose" excuse), and better yet, it's one told by the players themselves every time Rengar and Kha'zix are on opposing teams, and the event is triggered. That's a complete story right there, told with nothing but character bios, setting and gameplay. --- In having a story where the game exists and where the matches played are to some degree canon(-ish), you open up for a lot of story that you don't have to tell yourself. In the removal of the narrative structure from their story, regardless of whether or not they actually ever release some info on the new setting, they set Rengar&Kha'zix' story back from a complete game/play driven narrative to what is basically the starting line. And for some reason I sincerely doubt they'll be retelling it as a complete story to that degree any time soon. 'Cause they're probably too busy trying to figure out how to tell a story which isn't a game... yet one which is for a game. I think I lost track of my point somewhere in the middle of Rengar vs Kha'zix <.< tl;dr: While creators start off trying to fit their story to the game, over time the focus of storytelling shifts from explaining the existance of the game within the story to telling a complete narrative. While this is cool and all, too often is the game part of the story lost because they try to tell a story as if it were a book or a movie instead of telling a story as a game. Aaand my tl;dr is a paragraph long already.... why can i never write concise posts? whyyyy? (writing after midnight is why probably, idk)
> [{quoted}](name=NorthernDruid,realm=EUNE,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=3bIHxbE5,comment-id=0000,timestamp=2015-05-10T23:45:05.746+0000) > > Nicely written. Lovely response (i cut it off a bit due to its length) , you seem to share my views about the general trend now happening in multiplayer games in general. My personal favorite was probably the introduction and the clues in the JoJ leading to release of of lee sin, which then led to the Ionia vs Noxus games which actually ha a real outcome for the game (one item would be added, the other deleted). You actually rooted for the teams because it would affect YOU! Not just give the winning team prize money. I have personally given up on this game, i simply feel betrayed, and i will focus towards other aspects of my life, and on playing the witcher 3. A sad outcome since i have been a devoted player since season one, but i just dont see a reason to play LoL anymore, i have other games i find more entertaining to play with friends, and LOL has nothing pulling me back at the moment.
Rioter Comments
: Or they can focus on real problems that have little to no counterplay instead of listening to cries about a champion that has multiple items negate his ultimate
> [{quoted}](name=SwapShadows,realm=NA,application-id=3ErqAdtq,discussion-id=xWJmtt3f,comment-id=0001,timestamp=2015-04-11T21:33:29.956+0000) > > Or they can focus on real problems that have little to no counterplay instead of listening to cries about a champion that has multiple items negate his ultimate I was going to lolking you But your usename gives you away ... Filthyzedmainplsgo
: A Teemo rework I plead you all to look at (and RIOT to playtest <3)
: WEAKEST Champ, lore wise
All of you saying Nunu are retarded. The Yeti IS NOT THE ONE USING MAGIC Nunu is an extremely powerful mage in the ranks of friggin Annie, he makes an entire area ABSOLUTE ZERO, thats right he can STOP MOLECULES ALL-TOGETHER. In other words he is at the same ranks as bloody Veigar in terms of power! I would say that {{champion:33}} or {{champion:78}} are my bets!
: Lux Redesign / Model Updates Concept Art
> [{quoted}](name=Hylia,realm=NA,application-id=A8FQeEA8,discussion-id=WkhNhpVz,comment-id=,timestamp=2015-03-28T00:34:11.271+0000) > > Hey everybody! I&#039;ve had this Lux painting I made sitting in my hard drive for a while now and I figured I&#039;d toss it up on the boards! I know Lux is far from the highest priority on the Visual Upgrade list, but I think eventually she would really benefit from a Sona/Cassiopeia tier model upgrade, at the very least. Wow .... i support everything here ... this is a redesign done right!
: good, we can get rid of this: http://static.tumblr.com/afdb086c2239213fcc361fedc8c12e5f/lxjgntx/gOEmhnir2/tumblr_static_lux_creep.jpg
> [{quoted}](name=NyX Reks,realm=NA,application-id=A8FQeEA8,discussion-id=WkhNhpVz,comment-id=000a,timestamp=2015-03-28T02:36:50.375+0000) > > good, we can get rid of this: http://static.tumblr.com/afdb086c2239213fcc361fedc8c12e5f/lxjgntx/gOEmhnir2/tumblr_static_lux_creep.jpg b ... but that defines lux .... a mentally instable individual trying to be overly cheerful to compensate .... like teemo ...
Bergk (NA)
: Better Nerf Irelia
> [{quoted}](name=Bergk,realm=NA,application-id=A8FQeEA8,discussion-id=T0k4OQEo,comment-id=,timestamp=2015-03-26T02:02:59.995+0000) > > I&#039;ve been playing League since 2010. And the "better nerf Irelia" joke has always been around and probably will stick around! So why not just make a "**Nerfed Irelia**" **skin**? > > Anyway, I am **not** a graphic design artist. I just whipped this up (horribly) to relay my idea. > > Her primary weapons becomes 4 nerf bats with a nerf ball at the center > Transcendent Blades (ult) are Nerf Footballs > And the "Mantle of Decorum" (the thingy that&#039;s always floating behind her head) is a Nerf Target Board. > I found it humorous, hopefully ya&#039;ll like the idea :) WHY CANT I UPVOTE THIS MORE!!!
: But the Void nullifies magic powers, so that's why I am sticking with {{champion:31}}
> [{quoted}](name=The Cool Persian,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=i5aXHlz1,comment-id=00020000,timestamp=2015-03-23T19:50:22.824+0000) > > But the Void nullifies magic powers, so that's why I am sticking with {{champion:31}} It does not, it has never been stated that it does. Only Kassadin specific magics does.
: Current powerhouses: 1. {{champion:432}} (A being so powerful, he is beyond time and space but never reaching the levels of God) 2. {{champion:101}} (Being of pure energy, nor being constrained be the limitations that a being that has a body would have, not really beyond time and space like Bard, not quite there yet) 3. Shuriman Ascendant and the Originator of the Shadow Isles and what we all know as the Harrowing. 4. {{champion:134}} (A human with magical powers and potential for levels reaching as much as Xeraths) 5. {{champion:45}} (Same as Syndra, though concentrated in a smaller vessel)
> [{quoted}](name=Tesla Effect,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=i5aXHlz1,comment-id=0002,timestamp=2015-03-22T02:18:14.719+0000) > > Current powerhouses: > 1. {{champion:432}} (A being so powerful, he is beyond time and space but never reaching the levels of God) > 2. {{champion:101}} (Being of pure energy, nor being constrained be the limitations that a being that has a body would have, not really beyond time and space like Bard, not quite there yet) > 3. Shuriman Ascendant and the Originator of the Shadow Isles and what we all know as the Harrowing. > 4. {{champion:134}} (A human with magical powers and potential for levels reaching as much as Xeraths) > 5. {{champion:45}} (Same as Syndra, though concentrated in a smaller vessel) Sorry but you sir are still a bit off. First in ALL lists should be: >no. 1 {{champion:26}} He BENDS TIME TO HIS WILL (albeit he suffers from mental illness), take any champion, ANY champion. He can stop time stab them in the throat and waltz away, a being such as Xerath? Rewind time and kill his mother ... poof. Zilean is virtually all powerful. >no 2. {{champion:9}} He is a bringer of doom, death and despair, of bad tidings of such level and aptitude not even our chiming support could do anything about it. **Fiddle is doom, he is fear and despair incarnate** >no. 3 {{champion:56}} For the same reason fiddle is on the top, Noc is pretty much a Freddy kreuger deluxe that can not be killed. Sure veigar can rip THIS dimension apart ... but he has to sleep... and Nocturne will be waiting. >no 4. {{champion:432}} has been explained by others. >no 5. {{champion:45}} an odd choice perhaps, but since Xerath's lore nerf and considering the fact that Syndra is not yet in her prime, Veigar is my bet for the no. 5 due to his corrupted dark magics that can bend the cosmos at his will.
: Shyvana players, what do we want for Shyvana's new lore from Riot?
NO NO NO JUST ... NO Dont touch Shyvana ... for all that is holy, Shyvana, together with Swain and Viktor are some FANTASTIC morally gray and complex personas. Do youy really whant to transform her into "mysterious dragon lady, oh yeah and she serves Demacia ..... RAWR DRAGON ( buy her and a skin for only 1350rp)" Do you ?
: /singed and if you think that is a typo, then you are too young in league to know what I reference.
> [{quoted}](name=Ark Angel HFB,realm=NA,application-id=2XjzURgc,discussion-id=6I2Hxs24,comment-id=0000,timestamp=2015-03-20T05:05:24.022+0000) > > /singed > > and if you think that is a typo, then you are too young in league to know what I reference. Stamp of Jesse Perrings approval
: Champion Update: Kassadin
: Wait a second... the bard is a D*ck
So Jaredan, if Bard is concerned about something on a "larger scale". Why is he suddenly bashing Nunu or Draven's face in on ? ( since summoners are canon) Rift
: Riot could easily have League books written
: Wow. Just wow. That was deep. I never truly understood how powerful the lore could feel until after we lost it. Just like Skarner, we must remember the stories of the forgotten. We cannot let characters like Skarner and Xerath be pushed aside a evil baddies. I will always consider this the true lore in my heart.
> [{quoted}](name=LyonVastia,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=WGkjd7wd,comment-id=0005,timestamp=2015-03-05T04:14:19.492+0000) > > Wow. Just wow. That was deep. I never truly understood how powerful the lore could feel until after we lost it. > > Just like Skarner, we must remember the stories of the forgotten. We cannot let characters like Skarner and Xerath be pushed aside a evil baddies. I will always consider this the true lore in my heart. As i already said, the day they change Viktor im out, simple as that. And yes, it inflicted emotions on the few fans it had, sure it had flaws, but imperfection makes perfection and the LOL lore was a good example of this in my humble opinion.
: > It'd be great if they started adding those short stories onto the Champion Bio pages and in game. They unsticky those threads after a while (i.e. Azir, Xerath, etc.) and then they just get lost with all the other threads. We cannot wait to get the stories onto the website. The boards are definitely not the ideal place to put those stories, we just decided to put the Azir, Xerath and Kalista out initially that way to give some additional story content around the event and Champion releases, as well as just get those rather important stories to players however we could for now. When our tech solve is in place, all of those stories, and ongoing ones, will go up on the website. The plan is then to sort out the in-client page so it is less sparse and includes a link to the Champion's web page.
> [{quoted}](name=Jaredan,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=GwKxZvzp,comment-id=000100000000,timestamp=2014-11-27T01:46:36.869+0000) > > We cannot wait to get the stories onto the website. The boards are definitely not the ideal place to put those stories, we just decided to put the Azir, Xerath and Kalista out initially that way to give some additional story content around the event and Champion releases, as well as just get those rather important stories to players however we could for now. > > When our tech solve is in place, all of those stories, and ongoing ones, will go up on the website. The plan is then to sort out the in-client page so it is less sparse and includes a link to the Champion's web page. BUll - SH*T
: Well, it's /ff from Narrative (Champion Lore "updates" on website).
So yeah .... nothing new on the frontlines folks ... RIOT, the new Blizzard/Valve
Show more

IS1d51f7fd0f8e2764617b0

Level 9 (NA)
Lifetime Upvotes
Create a Discussion