Meddler (NA)
: Quick Gameplay Thoughts: October 18
Hey Meddler, anything you can say about showing some love to champions that have gotten repeatedly nerfed due to pro presence that now see very little pro presence *and* have very poor solo queue statistics? Akali's still showing up at worlds here and there, but Irelia (bans here and there, but very few picks, and in those games, she was invisible), Aatrox, Sejuani, Sylas, Tahm Kench, Ezreal (Chovy had one good game on him but that's it), Azir, Corki, among others, have all seen constantly decreasing pro presence, which leaves them as very poor performers in solo queue, and only very marginal picks in pro. Once the nerf to duo-support items go through (hits to Sona + Kench/Taric, Yuumi + Garen), we're most likely going to see Yuumi's presence plummet to negligible levels as well. Also, given that conqueror's true damage is being removed, it seems Irelia would leave pro play entirely in season 10, and as far as winrate goes, feels extremely unwelcome to players trying to learn her, while not rewarding them later on in their mastery curve compared to other, more solo queue optimized champions. The way I see the state of these champions punished for pro play presence is that imagine that every white male had to pay 30% of his gross salary as taxes because of the "white male" tax, since Jeff Bezos, Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, Elon Musk, Sergei Brin, Larry Page, and a bunch of other bankers/hedge fund managers just happened to be white. What can be done to make champions punished for their pro presence be more approachable for players that aren't playing professionally? Can they get some sort of hyperscaling that would allow them more success in less-coordinated games?
: > [{quoted}](name=IlyaK1986,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=6XugaIml,comment-id=0000,timestamp=2019-10-14T20:47:15.533+0000) > > Just about all of them. Pick two characters at random. Odds are, it's not supported by canon; ergo, it doesn't make sense. {{champion:498}} {{champion:497}} OTP
> [{quoted}](name=CaptainAntiHeroz,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=6XugaIml,comment-id=00000000,timestamp=2019-10-14T20:51:12.244+0000) > > {{champion:498}} {{champion:497}} OTP As I said. At random. The chance of picking Xayah + Rakan *at random* is more than 1/10,000.
: What ships don't make any sense lore-wise?
Just about all of them. Pick two characters at random. Odds are, it's not supported by canon; ergo, it doesn't make sense.
: You know, riot could take Lucian vs Thresh and let it determine who Senna is
So, I think Riot isn't doing the whole "players determine fates of lore events" thing anymore. They did it with Ionia/Noxus way back when (Ionia won, hence Ionian boots of lucidity), but ever since then, I think Riot has just been creating the lore, albeit at a glacial pace.
: I do agree that she looks better in the Phoenix video than the Awaken video (she just looked goofy there), but I have to reject that Irelia's specific thing is supposed to be expressive eyes, I think it's just coincidence as realistically speaking she has the same eyes as any of the other "pretty" champs if you compare splash arts. Not to say that there aren't pretty champs with distinct facial features, but I don't believe that Irelia is specifically one of them.
> [{quoted}](name=Czeslaw,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=rTHAG7BH,comment-id=0004,timestamp=2019-10-14T14:05:25.570+0000) > > I do agree that she looks better in the Phoenix video than the Awaken video (she just looked goofy there), but I have to reject that Irelia's specific thing is supposed to be expressive eyes, I think it's just coincidence as realistically speaking she has the same eyes as any of the other "pretty" champs if you compare splash arts. Not to say that there aren't pretty champs with distinct facial features, but I don't believe that Irelia is specifically one of them. I mean if you check her in-game model, her eyes are practically anime-esque in how large they are. So I do find that distinctive about her. As far as splash arts go, well, sure, once you throw the likes of Ahri and Kai'sa into the mix, there is definitely more of a cast of "pretty" champs. Even so, I think Jessica Oyhenart's (base) and Jana Schirmer's (aviator) artworks are pretty unrivaled in just *how* pretty they make her, because wow.
: As much as I love Poppy, she ain't gonna do jack squat unless Riot just wants to do a 360 on all the known facts -She's a magical creature, so if they figured out shes a Yordle somehow she would be in big trouble -She can't mentally accept that she is the hero that is supposed to wield the hammer -I don't think Poppy is smart enough to comprehend political unrest let alone how to fix it, she'd probably just whomp Sylas and then Demacia would just remain a place where magic and magical beings aren't allowed and are hated.
> [{quoted}](name=CaptainAntiHeroz,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=6eEtbkrE,comment-id=0003,timestamp=2019-10-10T18:15:09.971+0000) > > As much as I love Poppy, she ain't gonna do jack squat unless Riot just wants to do a 360 on all the known facts > > -She's a magical creature, so if they figured out shes a Yordle somehow she would be in big trouble > -She can't mentally accept that she is the hero that is supposed to wield the hammer > -I don't think Poppy is smart enough to comprehend political unrest let alone how to fix it, she'd probably just whomp Sylas and then Demacia would just remain a place where magic and magical beings aren't allowed and are hated. Have you *read* Poppy's bio? She's centuries old. She's an immortal (or at least very long-lived) force of righteous cuteness.
Mogarl (NA)
: Idk I expect it to be "fixed" when {{champion:10}} returns to demacia and incinerates most of the mage seekers, and any others responsible for upholding the unjust laws enforced. If that happens I expect the only thing that could save Garen and Jarvan would be Morganna. I feel Poppy isn't likely to have a major part in a very politically centered story. I am curious what Poppy would do if she were faced with mage seekers pursuing a magically gifted citizen of Demacia.
> [{quoted}](name=Mogarl,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=6eEtbkrE,comment-id=0001,timestamp=2019-10-10T05:11:52.408+0000) > > Idk I expect it to be "fixed" when {{champion:10}} returns to demacia and incinerates most of the mage seekers, and any others responsible for upholding the unjust laws enforced. If that happens I expect the only thing that could save Garen and Jarvan would be Morganna. > > I feel Poppy isn't likely to have a major part in a very politically centered story. I am curious what Poppy would do if she were faced with mage seekers pursuing a magically gifted citizen of Demacia. One word: **HAMMER!**
man of tin (EUNE)
: Can we make Aatrox's taunts towards Varus and Rhaast work when they're on Aatrox's team as well?
Varus. V-A-R-U-S. Your name should have an A, and then *another A*, Varus. There was a memo, Varus. **THERE WAS A MEMO!** (Thirded, btw).
: So, _**if**_ this is true, they're adding an item that makes turrets useless for a few seconds. Turrets are barely a safe zone as-is, so I don't understand why that's necessary. I also don't understand why jungle turrets are supposedly a thing either. A lot of champions are built around counter-jungling, and if the turrets are meant to protect your jungle, wouldn't that make counter-jungling a pain in the ass and render a bunch of champions borderline useless?
> [{quoted}](name=4 Step Cadence,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=PtQNKxej,comment-id=0001,timestamp=2019-10-13T21:20:08.273+0000) > > So, _**if**_ this is true, they're adding an item that makes turrets useless for a few seconds. Turrets are barely a safe zone as-is, so I don't understand why that's necessary. > > I also don't understand why jungle turrets are supposedly a thing either. A lot of champions are built around counter-jungling, and if the turrets are meant to protect your jungle, wouldn't that make counter-jungling a pain in the ass and render a bunch of champions borderline useless? My thinking: you know how you feel absolutely miserable if you're on a tank jungler and a Lee Sin just comes and invades you at level 1-2 and just steals your lunch money? I'd imagine that those jungle turrets are there so that some later-scaling junglers don't feel utterly miserable--I.E. you can start your red or something, then quickly move to a turreted area and get some critical levels under safety. As for counter-jungling, maybe you can still counter-jungle something like the blue, but not completely bully someone deep in their own jungle.
NB money (NA)
: thank you for using Jessicas name, shes an amazing artist and deserves the credit when talking about the splash.
> [{quoted}](name=NB money,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=rTHAG7BH,comment-id=0001,timestamp=2019-10-13T21:15:10.430+0000) > > thank you for using Jessicas name, shes an amazing artist and deserves the credit when talking about the splash. Hear ye, hear ye! She also made Yuumi's splash art. So of course, now I want to see her draw Irelia cuddling Yuumi to overload the world with wholesome contented happiness ^\_^ Yes, Jessica Oyhenart is an absolutely amazing and legendary artist.
Arakadia (NA)
: I wish they'd give more champs more individual faces. Square jaw macho men and anime waifu faces on everyone sucks.
> [{quoted}](name=Arakadia,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=rTHAG7BH,comment-id=0000,timestamp=2019-10-13T20:35:20.947+0000) > > I wish they'd give more champs more individual faces. Square jaw macho men and anime waifu faces on everyone sucks. I mean they have different faces for male champs. It's pretty easy to tell Graves apart from say, Xin Zhao. You could easily tell Garen's face apart. And Irelia's distinctive facial features are her very wide and expressive eyes IMO. To throw them out in Awaken was such a farce.
: I agree. A lot of people are saying that it's contrived or that it will ruin Lucian or Thresh's character and leave them without motivations, but that's just being short sighted and probably why the story barely budges. Motivations and relationships can change. Should Leona and Diana never resolve their conflicts just because that's the core of their character? No they will, then the writers will just give them a new one. It's called growth.
> [{quoted}](name=mrmeddyman,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=i4Xph3XG,comment-id=0001,timestamp=2019-10-13T20:13:28.309+0000) > > I agree. A lot of people are saying that it's contrived or that it will ruin Lucian or Thresh's character and leave them without motivations, but that's just being short sighted and probably why the story barely budges. Motivations and relationships can change. Should Leona and Diana never resolve their conflicts because that's the core of their character. No they will and should then the writers will give them a new one. It's called growth. Leona and Diana have been a dry-docked ship since day one, and Eclipse Leona even has special lovey-dovey lines for her as it stands. They need to get themselves a room already.
: ***
> [{quoted}](name=JhonTeemon,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=i4Xph3XG,comment-id=0000,timestamp=2019-10-13T20:13:12.608+0000) > > How can someone who literally got their soul pulled out of their body, their body now being a lifeless corpse which has rotted and buried, magically just come back? ~~Aliens~~ Shadow Isles.
Rioter Comments
: > [{quoted}](name=IlyaK1986,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=uKYlfLKG,comment-id=0014,timestamp=2019-10-13T05:07:50.868+0000) > > I liked Irelia in this video *faaaaaaaaaaaar* better than what they did with her appearance in Awaken. Redemption to the art team for not royally screwing up her face this time. Irelia looks far more, well, like *herself* in this video, rather than whatever that botched CG face was in Awaken. Karma was sort of cool. Liss was...there, I suppose? > > Still, gimme moar Irelia cinematics ^\_^ ^\_^ ^\_^ ^\_^ See everyone I talked to said that Liss was the one who did stick out the most. Irelia was just jumping around and spinning lol
> [{quoted}](name=The Iceborn,realm=EUW,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=uKYlfLKG,comment-id=00140000,timestamp=2019-10-13T08:45:38.379+0000) > > See everyone I talked to said that Liss was the one who did stick out the most. Irelia was just jumping around and spinning lol Liss just wasn't aesthetically pleasing at all for me. She's not particularly pretty (and Irelia with her proper face--I.E.--not that garbage makeover from Awaken--very much ***IS***. IMO she's the prettiest champ in the game, but hey, tastes vary). Plus, she's not sympathetic in the lore, either (though at least she's not completely irredeemably evil), which makes her a tough character to root for in either case. Also, I don't particularly follow the LPL, and China's being a villain on the world stage right now, so that whole portion of the video was sort of "meh" for me. As for Irelia's fighting style, well, Riot hasn't given her too much to work with in animation so far.
: WORLDS SONG!
I liked Irelia in this video *faaaaaaaaaaaar* better than what they did with her appearance in Awaken. Redemption to the art team for not royally screwing up her face this time. Irelia looks far more, well, like *herself* in this video, rather than whatever that botched CG face was in Awaken. Karma was sort of cool. Liss was...there, I suppose? Still, gimme moar Irelia cinematics ^\_^ ^\_^ ^\_^ ^\_^
: “I think it was gonna be this month but with the massive amount of stuff for the ten year anniversary. It was pushed to Nov.” -said man
> [{quoted}](name=WAAARGHbobo,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=xtlxU7oA,comment-id=0001,timestamp=2019-10-12T04:54:03.354+0000) > > “I think it was gonna be this month but with the massive amount of stuff for the ten year anniversary. It was pushed to Nov.” -said man NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I was looking forward to it so much this month =( =( =(
: Well we need someone to fill the "full of themselves celebrity" in kda so I'm afraid so As long as it has good effects I'm good with it haha
We don't need them in the group. Plus, Eve would probably arrange for her to have a disappearance if she got too annoying. She wouldn't last.
: Because she's perfect for kda. That's probably it.
God I hope not. She's a mega-bitch, and the complete antithesis of Kai'sa.
: I ceaselessly pitch this every couple of months. Please keep me, Carnival Knights, in your thoughts as I attempt to annoy the skin team into it.
darkdill (NA)
: Wow, Ashe sounds really jaded in her new voice over
Awwww the Sejuani lines <3 <3 <3 Ashe really does care for her.
: What should the Phase 2 of Comics be?
{{champion:89}} {{champion:131}} I absolutely love the Leona/Diana idea. Especially because Solar/Lunar eclipse Leona has affectionate lines for Diana specifically, so it's beyond an IronStylus headcanon that there may be a positive relationship between the two. Furthermore, we have relatively little knowledge about Mount Targon. {{champion:39}} {{champion:92}} is another comic I'd like to see happen. Both of their short stories occur right after the Noxian invasion, but their current lore/age is about 7 years *after* that point. Riven, by that point, may still be living with her adoptive parents, working on their farm, but with the Navori brotherhood around, life isn't exactly all pleasant in Ionia. Similarly, what has Irelia been up to in the years since--especially given that she tried her best to step out of the limelight (at least as a warrior--it'd be pretty interesting to see if she could lead a normal life as a performer in the years since). Both have to contend with bouts of PTSD as well. Furthermore, we haven't seen much of Ionia, and I highly doubt Zed's comic will give us a sufficient sightseeing tour. Just the idea of Riven seeing Irelia dancing near a river, and just having the comic focus on life in a new Ionia through their eyes would be something unique, I think. Throw in the Navori brotherhood or maybe Zed's order of shadow if there's a desire for violence/action/bonding through being action girls if that's something that's desired. {{champion:254}} {{champion:51}} {{champion:222}} would also be an interesting, lighthearted comic that gives us a romp through Piltover and Zaun alike. IMO, the atmosphere there seems very interesting--twin cities coexisting one on top of another, and the interactions between the people that live there. This doesn't have to be a particularly angsty, feels-trip sort of thing. It could very much take a more light-hearted "come and chase me, FAT HANDS!" approach, but it could also go the solemn route, what with Vi's past, and certainly, Zaun has its fair share of utter monsters (Singed, Urgot, Mundo, etc.) to create a horror show from if that's where the comic wants to go.
: Lets talk about their possible new game reveal in anniversary (theories)
It's a fighting game; such was confirmed at Evo 2019 this year. I just hope it'll be "CertainlyT: the fighting game" AKA Guilty Gear, except with League of Legends characters. I don't think any other system can really do justice to so many of the high-mobility champs in the game.
: Didn't they they hire a group of developers that were in the middle of making a fighting game? If so, I think it will be some sort of action game. Whether it be a traditional fighting game, more unique fighting game, or maybe something like dynasty warriors/samurai warriors type game but with more focus multiplayer and strategy.
They confirmed a fighting game is in the works at evo. It's a fighting game.
: > [{quoted}](name=IlyaK1986,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=PAEEsOvZ,comment-id=00090000000000000001,timestamp=2019-09-15T17:20:22.913+0000) > > Ahem: IMMORTAL JOURNEY. Those skins are utterly unmatched in aesthetics. > > Once you bring in other aspects, DJ Sona reigns supreme. Aspects or assets ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) . . . . . . . . I was of course referring to the music that you can only enjoy in game with her around {{sticker:sg-kiko}}
That's exactly what I meant :D Dropping bums on murder bridge while dropping the beats! Ayyyyyyyy!
: the ones that are buffed the most and most forgiving are the huge sales. ivern/sol are unpopular due to uniqueness in kit and being "boring", thus no one plays them. if they were overtuned people would play them thus making skin sales go up. i dont believe rioters. ive seen them lie first hand plenty of times. just because they used to be a rioter doesnt mean they are some almighty trustworthy being
> the ones that are buffed the most and most forgiving are the huge sales Ooh, what a profound assertion. Does that mean we're going to get giga-buffs for Akali and Irelia soon to bring them up to 50% solo queue win rate?
SEKAI (OCE)
: * Skins for unpopular champ are often completely unadvertised. They don't get cinematics, events, or anything; all they got was showing up in the PBE and then the shop and Riot for whatever reason hope people would somehow know about them already and be interested enough to rush to buy it like hotcakes which we all know that is not going to happen and it didn't. Advertisement exists for a reason, because it actually convince people to buy stuff even if they don't need nor actually want it simply because it's well presented in an ad. * The actual quality of the skin of the unpopular champs in the first place. If you think skins like Dragon Oracle Udyr and K/DA Ahri (they have the same price 1350 RP) are on the same quality, then **you are wrong**. If you think Dragon Oracle Udyr is a great skin because it's "good enough" for unpopular champ like Udyr (who is only ever popular when he is fotm broken op), then that's the problem. If you say you want to give poor people government housing and then proceed to build them out of dirt and so they collapse after 3 days, you don't get to say that it proves government housing for poor people is a bad idea. Because you clearly came from the angle of sabotaging it in the first place. And that's more or less what we're dealing with here. And even then, has Riot ever questioned why there is even such a big gulf between champion popularity in the first place? Has Riot ever stopped and wondered that their favourtism based balancing as well as the insanely uneven skin distribution could be one of the reasons that caused and/or contributed to the said disparity in the first place? And instead of trying to remedy it, you're just making excuses to not fixed the problem and attribute it like some innate unchangeable law that we just have to accept that unpopular champ will continued to be ignored in every facet of their existence? What are you talking about? What's more, sure, unpopular champ may as well only make a fraction of the revenue of the more popular one whenever you release a skin for them (and that's assuming you even tried with their skins, which we all know you often don't and just release skins for them to shut people up), it still doesn't change 2 facts: 1. You don't actually fire your janitor because they technically don't contribute to making profits for the company or at least only very little at best. Clearly, how much money is made is not the only metric in valuing someone or somethings existence in the company or product. 2. PR is also a form of revenue that will grant you both social credits as well as monetary credits, eventually. If you have happy customer for both the popular and unpopular champions, you will make more money off skins than just happy customers for popular champs; it's not rocket science. And by appealing to the minorities of your client base, it also can translate to higher reputation in the industry and thus providing better competitive edge. Just because _right now_ appealing to the client base of unpopular champs is making peanuts and certainly not how much it could be, a situation YOU greatly contributed by not giving a shit about them in the first place, it doesn't mean you can't do something and get more revenue out of them; and you do it by simply stop giving them the cold shoulder that you have been for the last many years. Any business man that would go out of their way to intentionally alienate the minority segment of client base and their potential revenue, justifying with just "they don't make enough immediate cash", is a shortsighted and stupid business person.
All of your assertions and analogies are nonsense or misguided. First off: popular champs aren't kept strong. This is the second time this year Akali's being gutted for the vast majority of players. She still has an above average play rate in any elo. Irelia is utterly rancid in solo queue. Still exceptionally popular. If you look at a bunch of champs with popular pick rates, you'll find quite a few of them with atrocious win rates while there are champs with slightly below average pick rates with vastly higher win rates. Power doesn't dictate popularity. Tell me something, what would you rather play, a pile of turds with a boring kit that has a 52% win rate, or a mechanically interesting and aesthetically pleasing champion with a 47.5% win rate?
: > [{quoted}](name=Spooky Skeleton,realm=EUW,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=PAEEsOvZ,comment-id=000900000000,timestamp=2019-09-15T13:45:57.176+0000) > > Praetorian fiddlesticks is hands down THE best skin in the game. He fucking REE's at enemies when he fears them and throws buzzsaw blades. He also kills a fucking bird in his recall, that shit's metal as fuck. You are dissing the pentakill skins! Clearly you have no taste at all >:(
Ahem: IMMORTAL JOURNEY. Those skins are utterly unmatched in aesthetics. Once you bring in other aspects, DJ Sona reigns supreme.
Jaspers (EUW)
: This is always interesting based on how their business works. They make their money from these skin on champs and obviously some champs are more popular than others, meaning they are going to make skins for those more popular champs. Except, they control who could be potentially popular due to power. Taliyah may have 2% playrate now but at height of her jungle/pro play she had 8%. Alas, Riot nerfed her again and claims she's not popular anymore. This is a bit different to Yorick who is niche in design and play as he's rarely touched, he's 2% most the time. In my company we have clients, they provide us with product which we sell to customers, some clients make us more money than others due to their product, yet I am expected to put in the same work for the one making as more money as the one making us less. In some cases more work for the less client as their demands are higher but building a good relationship would mean we generally get more work from them. Infact due to how it works, usually for bigger clients we have more people working on their stuff, keeping them happy. If clients are skins in Riot's case they are basically saying to the unpopular champs, sorry you can't have the same thing this big client is having because you just won't make us as much money. While at my company all clients get the same service. If a champ just doesn't sell as many 1350 skins as the next champ, don't make 1350 skins for them, make 975, put less effort in if it means you'll make less money. Be honest with customers as well, they won't mind as long as you tell them and maybe those champs will sell those skins because they are cheaper.
Well here's the thing--if you were to just take a gauge of character appreciation, power level aside, Taliyah isn't really up there. Basically, it's that characters aren't functions. They're not just "random blob throwing out moves in their kit". For instance, look at Irelia. She's *horrible* in solo queue. We're talking 46% win rate. Nobody's happy playing her--not Sanchovies, not IreliaCarriesU (who had to stop streaming due to burnout, which Irelia's nerfs heavily contributed to IMO), not TFBlade really either. But she still has obscenely popular play rates considering how godawful she is. At the end of the day, aesthetics sell, well, *more aesthetics*. People like Ahri, Lux, Kai'sa, Irelia? More skins for our gorgeous waifus! Megalomaniac energy being? Nah.
: The reason some champions are unpopular is because of the very very scarce attention they get. Example: remember {{champion:101}} ? Some years ago, he was THE midlane mage, even more popular than some fan-service machines like {{champion:103}} . Was he popular because he was insanely busted? Not really, he was a really enjoyable champion with great skins and fresh gameplay at the time. My point is, with time Xerath got less and less attention from the devs, and he is now quite literally dead in their eyes, even if he is still one of the very very few artillery champions who can be used without leading into a turbo inting session from the login screen. Rioters fuel by their own will the gap between popular and unpopular champions, and the fact that they still argue that they can't do anything about it just shows how clueless they are and how much of an huge gap there is between them and their own goddamn game
Xerath just got some QoL changes in a recent patch, with his going to 5000 range across all levels. However, Xerath is still *Xerath*. His animations clearly convey what he's trying to do, but his model, ultimately, is just a floating energy being, and that won't change without Xerath no longer being Xerath. Essentially, there are champions that people play because of their mechanics (I.E. the champions are just functions), and then there are champions people play because of who the champion *is* outside their gameplay. Kai'sa, Lux, Ahri, Irelia, Yasuo, and other super-popular champs aren't just "oh hey this champ is strong, or has lots of attention paid to them by Riot"--it's just that those champions are aesthetically pleasing, have good voiceovers, and so on. After all, the higher up you go on player rank, the less skin sales matter anyway. Most of the skins aren't being bought by the 1% of the player population in Diamond, but by your bronzes, silvers, and golds, I'd imagine. And for them, I don't think QoL tuneups matter so much as whether or not they simply like the champion's character. For instance, when the KDA video shot up, Akali's playrate *spiked*, even though there was nothing that changed about her kit.
: Targon. I will take some godlike powers anyday
No, you'll just die trying to go up the mountain.
: Splendid Staff Nami splash art edit
: > [{quoted}](name=IlyaK1986,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=Oont2azw,comment-id=00010000,timestamp=2019-09-14T13:03:04.726+0000) > > Someone's salty about getting styled on by Irelia I see -_-... > > That said, if Riot wanted to go with the "power-hungry sorceress" take, well, we *already* have characters in LoL that work perfectly for that--Leblanc, Zyra, or best yet--Syndra. Heck, Syndra is even an Ionian in base canon, so she'd fit this lore's mold like a glove. Instead, we got them character assassinating Morgana and ripping out everything that made her so lovable to begin with. in the old lore she was a fallen angel. she was exiled from the overworld which didn't really have a name at the time and was being hunted by kayle for her transgressions against the overworld. so she was basically a demon. the modern version of kayle was very similar to the old version of morgana. morgana sought after dark magic to make herself stronger in order to take her sister's place. kayle was given precedence over morgana for most of their lives as angels and due to that morgana developed a deep hatred and jealousy towards her sister. her love of magic made her an outcast and eventually a rebellious traitor. So she fell. after falling she ended up shackled to the ground as punishment and barred from ever returning to the overworld. morgana then began to build her powers through even darker magic and kayle was sent to defeat her sister before morgana could become strong enough to break the shackles and invade the overworld. it's basically the story of Lucifer. Kayle and Morgana more or less now resemble the story of the gemini.
Okay, thanks for that. Yeah, I think Morgana's story is *far* more compelling these days than "obviously evil rule 63 Lucifer". Her current bio in immortal journey isn't much better than that, though. Just "oh hey, you thought this was a skin line that's just wholesome and good and pretty and badass? SIKE."
: Which region of Runeterra would you like to live in?
Piltover, if any, for its innovation and technology compared to the rest of the world. Let's go down the rest of the list: Zaun: polluted as hell, you're gonna die of disease. Freljord: absolutely freaking brutal. You're most likely going to live a short, brutal life. Noxus: libertarian utopia. Anyone can do something nasty to you, and nobody will give a damn about it. If you can claw your way to the top without getting picked off, great. If not, you're screwed. Oh, and everyone has to serve 6 years in the military of an invasive, expansionist empire. Basically, take everything awful about the United States, with little of anything redeeming, and turn it up to 11, and you have Noxus. Demacia: there's a murderous revolutionary on the loose, and everyone's on edge. Ionia: the place just got shredded, a huge chunk of the population has PTSD, everyone lives in glorified huts, and there's a new group of extremists that want to murder people who don't share their brand of bloodlust. Would be great to visit some of its regions on occasion, but to live in? Hard pass. Shurima: it's the desert, with all the bads that come with it. Big NOPE. Targon: you want to live at the foot of glorified Mount Everest your whole life? Bilgewater: feeling lucky, punk? Sorry, I don't want to get shot in a pirate crossfire. Shadow Isles: obviously not.
Kenneky (EUW)
: Ionia or Bilgewater, both places fascinate me in their own way. As for Ionia being beautiful and "peaceful" and as for Bilgewater, my home town is a city near the Black sea so I'm used to live near water, the place has it's dangers, but I have something for pirates...
> As for Ionia being beautiful and "peaceful" Brotherhood of Navori says hello.
Falrein (EUW)
: Mmh... While I technically agree, I think it's fine to have a different turn on the character. Sure, she is very different from her prime canon self, but I feel like it's an interesting turn. She cares about gods instead of caring for mortals! She doesn't have to be nice and/or all about mortals in every skinline. I feel like this is what skinlines are for, to give something different to a character. Sure, a lot of skins retain something from the prime canon, but I don't think it's mandatory. I believe a character doesn't have to be nice and just to be likeable! Edit - plus I really like the part where she crushed Irelia in combat lmao
Someone's salty about getting styled on by Irelia I see -_-... That said, if Riot wanted to go with the "power-hungry sorceress" take, well, we *already* have characters in LoL that work perfectly for that--Leblanc, Zyra, or best yet--Syndra. Heck, Syndra is even an Ionian in base canon, so she'd fit this lore's mold like a glove. Instead, we got them character assassinating Morgana and ripping out everything that made her so lovable to begin with.
: > [{quoted}](name=IlyaK1986,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=Oont2azw,comment-id=00000000,timestamp=2019-09-14T06:26:58.910+0000) > > I mean her old version was also pretty flat as far as characterization goes; not sure what there was to be a fan *of*, since her new incarnation still has all the same edginess and trying to knock her sis down a few pegs off her self-righteous perch, but now comes loaded with a bunch more empathy. Morgana basically got a straight upgrade in characterization, though Kayle got a fairly hefty downgrade in the process. the point is that she used to be more sadistic and vengeful. all that empathy made her a completely different character. not to mention the more detailed story and rework of her archetype caused a lot of head canon to become obsolete. i'm sure you've read her older bio right?
I did at some point, but don't remember it too well. As I recall, she thought Kayle was full of crap and had been fighting her for an extremely long time, and was basically defined by that. But that was also during the time that we had the whole goofy institute of war nonsense as well, so a lot of stuff got patched out of canon by then.
: this is a valid argument, but also... her pre-rework version was basically a powertrip tyrannical being bent on making everyone suffer. so maybe this is meant to be a sacrifice for the older fans
I mean her old version was also pretty flat as far as characterization goes; not sure what there was to be a fan *of*, since her new incarnation still has all the same edginess and trying to knock her sis down a few pegs off her self-righteous perch, but now comes loaded with a bunch more empathy. Morgana basically got a straight upgrade in characterization, though Kayle got a fairly hefty downgrade in the process.
Rioter Comments
Meddler (NA)
: Quick Gameplay Thoughts: September 13
Hey Meddler, question... What happens to all the champions that have been utterly destroyed as a result of pro presence once Worlds is over? Irelia, Akali, Sejuani, Yuumi, Aatrox, Azir...the list goes on and on. Are they just going to continue to be "champions you hope never to see on your team"? Or will something be done to get them to 49.5%-50.5% in solo queue play? I'm not just talking about average tier here. I'm talking about the fact that LOLalytics has Irelia at below 47% winrate pretty consistently in **DIAMOND** and higher, worldwide, when it's generally a really, really bad thing when a champion drops below 49% win rate unless they're extremely popular. You can't possibly make the argument of "we're happy where <> is" when they have such awful winrates that nobody trying to climb would ever want to see them on their team. Considering how often Riot says "this is a pro-play nerf", what about the opposite of that, which is a "solo-queue focused buff"? That is, can we please get an acknowledgement that other individuals (in fact, the *vast majority* of individuals) besides the 300 or so pro players globally play this game, and that they should also be able to play champions they want to, as opposed to being essentially forbidden from playing champions so undertuned because a few teams play under exceptionally coordinated circumstances that solo queue players generally can't?
: [Spoilers] Lux: Issue Nr. 5 - Feedback, Discussion and Questions
Really didn't like this comic compared to warmother. Lux was just a really boring protagonist for most of the series, and Sylas being the ginormous ham he was being had to carry the entire comic until the ending. Furthermore, considering just *how many* Demacian/Demacian-related champs there are that went unused (Poppy, Quinn, Fiora, Morgana, Kayle, Lucian, Vayne, Shyvana, Sona), it felt like such a huge letdown of wasted potential. Of all stories that could have been told about Demacia, it felt like we got the blandest one possible, starring the blandest characters that had to be carried by Sylas's sheer force of personality. And I voted squarely for the Zed comic being better, because ninjas could be very badass if done well, especially considering it may take place during the Noxian invasion, so there can be god knows which stories told.
darkdill (NA)
: I like how this ended, with Lux officially ditching Demacia to help out mage refugees. Now we need a comic that shows how she becomes an Elementalist. {{sticker:slayer-jinx-wink}}
Errr, she isn't an elementalist. Her ult skin is non-canon, or alt universe.
Elipo (NA)
: I cannot believe you haven't made a noxus comic still {{sticker:sg-shisa}}
There is one. Darius has that Blood for Noxus short comic.
Adder (OCE)
: Lore progression for Evelynn
Pfft, what about the part when she joins a KPop group and helps a rap ninja blow the hype meter through the roof?
: Glad you enjoyed! This came up as one of the most requested stories ever, weirdly... Well, it's done now! And we hired Ian full time as a Rioter :-D
Going to echo CmeLoL's question. We missed out on more PROJECT lore, and in general, the lore seems to have really slowed to a trickle, even though it feels like there are certainly a bunch of stories to tell in any direction you choose (hilarious? Jinx/Ziggs/Heimer shenanigans in Piltover, more Vi+Cait buddy cop stuff. Right in the feels? Just about anyone in Ionia. Pure, unbridled badass? Ashe vs. Sejuani. Adventure and awesomeness? Can we get immortal journey lore?), but instead, we get so very little. Why is this?
: If the reader seeks thrilling fight-porn, then sure it's the story of the year. But if you want something with a bit more emotional investment and some character nuance, then both Warmother and Lux have been far more engaging. Even "From the Ashes" and "At the Edge of the World" still haunt me. But it's cool that we finally got an official account of Rengar & Kha'zix first conflict. Hopefully though, now that it's been done the writers can do more with either of them than just rinse and repeat fights.
Well, okay, that's not a fair fight. Warmother was absolutely amazing. Lux, though...good lord, I hope we never go back to Demacia again. It feels like that entire region is the most plain-vanilla wannabe-goody-two-shoes place around, except OOPS! Massive prejudice against the magic that...everyone else uses. Edge of the World was...interesting. And the ending was just kind of funny. "This will not be the end of Ysard Tomiri!" Narrator: it was the end of Ysard Tomiri.
patmax17 (EUW)
: I dind't find it particularly good, as Whyte Lyon wrote IMO the lacks character, and not much happens, especially if you already read the two characters' backgrounds. But I did like how Rengar describes Kha as something otherworldy and wrong (especially the part where he says even the air refuses to touch it :D). It's not badly written, it's just that this kind of story isn't the kind of story I appreciate, I'm more for characters and internal struggles :) Do you usually read league's lore or did you just happen to read only this story? If so, if you explain what you liked, we could suggest other stories on universe that you could enjoy :) "Silence for the damned" and "The eye in the abyss" are two of my favourite stories out there :)
Well, yeah, Freljord is generally a region of badass, since that's the necessary prerequisite to survive there. So, consequently, Freljord lore is going to be badass. It's a bunch of super-vikings and all the badassery that entails.
: So, about the new lore update
I want more Ionia (Irelia X Riven--both of them need copious amounts of hugs), Freljord (Ashe X Sejuani--seriously, what would happen if Braum would invite Sejuani for some drinks, and then introduce her to a bunch of poros? Would she mellow out?), and Targon (Diana X Leona), maybe some Sivir/Taliyah schlepping around Shurima, and more Vi shenanigans in Piltover. We got...none of that? This year.
Bultz (NA)
: @RIOTO How come there are no superhero modeled (not personality) type champions?
I mean the idea of a champion that's constantly flying, and has the whole AD Bruiser statball thing going on seems like it'd be OP as hell. I mean heck, *Superman* is OP as hell. I think Vi honestly comes closest to that fantasy, but she's not a Clark Kent lookalike.
Febos (EUW)
: > [{quoted}](name=Bultz,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=AdbbXx01,comment-id=,timestamp=2019-08-27T14:28:28.221+0000) > > I just wonder why there is no flying Ad bruiser type champion? You said "superhero". You didn't say "superman". Zyra is pretty much Poison Ivy. Okay, sure... that one is a villain. What about Neeko? While not modelled after Mystic, she does have her abi-... Dang, another villain. Hmmmm... Vitkor maybe? I mean, Dr Doom doesn't use a staff and has a hoodie, but... Oh, villain again. I know! Brand! The Human Torch is definitely a superhero... but Brand is kinda "evil" though... Let's try again. This time, let's go with Katarina. Albeit Black Widow uses guns instead of daggers, they're both assassins, red-haired and with "assets". Black widow is technically a "superhero" and Katarina isn't inherently "evil". If you're asking for a complete rip-off of some "superhero", then I'm sorry to tell you but it likely won't happen any time soon.
Jayce is sort of modeled on Clark Kent but acts like Batman.
Show more

IlyaK1986

Level 30 (NA)
Lifetime Upvotes
Create a Discussion