: I pray for thee Riot SapMagic. Positional Ranked is Superior.
I too really liked the Ranked Lanes. The problem was spoiled brat player behavior trolling when they didn't get what they wanted. Deal with the problem behavior, don't axe a great new way of doing ranked just because toxic players were trolling. There is a simple solution. Give players the option of NOT being autofilled. Even let them pick just one lane if they want. They could be Platinum Mids and Iron everything else if they want. Then when they complain about their long queue times because they refuse to play any other role seriously the rest of us that are happy to play many or any roles can point out that the well balanced player who selects 2 or 3, or even fill roles gets into games in 30 seconds.
: This is always the difficult choice in game design: there are always going to be people who love and hate every change or new feature, and figuring out when to make the call to disappoint some to please others isn't always easy. In this case there definitely *are* people who like it, but the downsides (in this case the large amount of dislike that the community *as a whole* appears to have for the system, and the fact that that dislike has *grown dramatically* instead of remaining level or shrinking) mean that it's probably best to disappoint those who like the system rather than maintain it in the face of a rather large amount of player frustration.
> [{quoted}](name=The Djinn,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=PqqtjwJU,comment-id=0000,timestamp=2019-03-09T17:58:49.789+0000) > > This is always the difficult choice in game design: there are always going to be people who love and hate every change or new feature, and figuring out when to make the call to disappoint some to please others isn't always easy. > > In this case there definitely *are* people who like it, but the downsides (in this case the large amount of dislike that the community *as a whole* appears to have for the system, and the fact that that dislike has *grown dramatically* instead of remaining level or shrinking) mean that it's probably best to disappoint those who like the system rather than maintain it in the face of a rather large amount of player frustration. You are likely right in the end, but the dislike for the system seemed mostly based on player behaviour as a result of it rather than any real dislike for the system! What Riot has done (again unfortunately) is respond to a small pool of toxic players by removing a system that had the potential to fix many problems in the ranked game that exist for everything other than the elite players. Many of the elites were the ones hating on this system because off lane assignments were being trolled. That is a player behavior problem, not a system problem. The solution to me seems pretty simple. Have a lane base rank system, but give players the choice of being auto-filled or not. In fact let them chose a SINGLE lane if they want. That guarantees that they get exactly what they want and no cry-baby responses to secondary lanes or even fills. Make it a check box where the player acknowledges that by demanding only one role or only specific roles that they will be in a queue for JUST that role which means that they may be waiting a long time for a spot to open up. But that way the player makes the choice and when they complain about their queue times then a Fill player like myself could come back with my average 30 to 45 second queue time and say it isn't a game problem, it is a player problem.
: > [{quoted}](name=oOBestEveNAOo,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=PcpsHygn,comment-id=0002,timestamp=2019-03-08T17:56:37.891+0000) > > No. Most sensible and logical thinking folks actually liked it and only wanted it tweaked for better performance. LOL. Not like it maked it grindier, not like it destroyed laneswapping, not like majority of players have their roles they care about and they don't give a shit about others, so being autofilled is complete waste of time. On the other hand, autofill sucked before, but I still hope they will get rid of this system completly! Sry I'm not logical aand sensible.
> [{quoted}](name=CrazyMonkeyCZ,realm=EUW,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=PcpsHygn,comment-id=00020000,timestamp=2019-03-08T18:02:38.782+0000) > > LOL. Not like it maked it grindier, not like it destroyed laneswapping, not like majority of players have their roles they care about and they don't give a shit about others, so being autofilled is complete waste of time. On the other hand, autofill sucked before, but I still hope they will get rid of this system completly! Sry I'm not logical aand sensible. CrazyMonkey, maybe the best way to deal with this is to bring back lane ranking but eliminate auto fill. If you want to play one lane and one lane only I have no problem with you going in a queue that would fill just that lane. Then no lane swapping would be necessary and if your lane is popular right now you can wait 10 minutes for a game. The fill players can get in fast. It would work for everyone. Except that you probably would complain about wait times for your games then too.
Prophed (NA)
: Until you are in promos and then you get the autofilled top or mid laner that doesn't care because of the -3 lp
> [{quoted}](name=Prophed,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=PcpsHygn,comment-id=0001,timestamp=2019-03-08T17:42:02.115+0000) > > Until you are in promos and then you get the autofilled top or mid laner that doesn't care because of the -3 lp So punish the troll that fails to play his role instead of deleting an entirely good new way of doing ranked.
: Can we please for the love of God remove Positional Ranking.
I feel entirely differently. I stopped playing ranked in previous seasons because of all the toxic trolls and the inability to deal with people who got auto-filled or their champ was banned etc ... automatically trolling the games if they even stuck around. With positional rankings if they just tweaked the system a player could be high tier in their main role and if they get auto'd into another role they don't lose rank in their main so they can just do their best to build up in a secondary role. Unfortunately the trolls and toxics won again. Riot chose to axe a potentially great change to the game instead of just dealing with 15 - 20% of players that insist on being babies when they don't get exactly what they want.
: they made it clear why they are removing it. Since the position rank doesn't effect your overall rank (if it's not your highest), it makes people play "troll"-ish games if they don't get the role they wanted and are in a ranked game that isn't really ranked to them.
> [{quoted}](name=Synthetic Toast,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=EJT8Ev6G,comment-id=0000,timestamp=2019-03-13T13:31:27.891+0000) > > they made it clear why they are removing it. Since the position rank doesn't effect your overall rank (if it's not your highest), it makes people play "troll"-ish games if they don't get the role they wanted and are in a ranked game that isn't really ranked to them. The solution to that problem isn't to remove positional rank but rather to deal with the troll players that make the entire game less enjoyable for the rest of us. There are a lot of toxic players in a lot of online games but Riot could fix almost all of that in this game by creating a pool of trusted reviewers (community status as a reward maybe?) who could REALLY review player reporting and could issue punishments to BOTH toxic and trolling players AND to false reporting players. Instead Riot gave in to the base problem once again and abandoned a positive project because the haters in the game went on a childish tantrum and ruined games for everyone. So rather than punish the problems they abandoned what was a very promising change to the ranked system.
: IMPORTANT! Ranked Changes and Positional Rankings Grief Thread!
I, for one, am sad to see positional ranks removed. I liked the new system and it brought me back to ranked. I liked ranked a few years ago but left it largely because I like to play all roles and too man toxic players inhabit ranked. I enjoyed the more competitive play, and generally better players and plays, but disliked the ignorant griefers. This new system seemed to be a lot better than the ranked system I left 2 years ago. Only time will tell if going backwards also reverts to a more toxic community that punishes players who play a little of everything rather than being a "mid main" on only one champ so they dodge when that champ gets banned.
: Got nothing for climbing in my off roles after revert.
I don't know that I feel robbed, but I too was a fan of the role base rankings. In fact last season I abandoned ranked play all together because of the toxic atmosphere and the fact that it punished a player for liking to play all roles in the game. Players that play only one role with only one or two champs advanced in ranked and players that like to play everywhere with lots of champs were essentially penalized. The role based rankings entirely fixed this. I could feel good about switching things up and working on each lane individually. I am sad to see it go.
: Hey riot fix your game :^)
I don't disagree that the visual is misleading, but the childish tantrum that Notsoimportant throws over it is on one level sad and on another even more sad that he posted the video without editing out the sound. The tilted perspective and oddities of various screen resolutions create all sorts of these types of quirks. Have you never noticed for example that if you play in standard 1080p resolution circles aren't round? Certain abilities "appear" to have longer range in one direction than another even though in reality they reach exactly the same distance in all directions from the center of the calculation of your aiming point. The only really viable solution to this would be to move into a fully 3D environment and change aim points to weapon tips and hit boxes to 3D frames so that you might for example catch Kalye's wing tips with a shot but if you aimed lower would miss her body, or even shoot the ground underneath her and miss her all together. That would add a lot of realism but would require a change to first person perspective to make the aiming possible and then it would no longer be even remotely the same game. I do think that Riot has a lot of buggy code in this game, but LONG before they need to worry about how angled cameras affect hit box ranges they need to fix stability and crashing issues and problems in the patching system that lead to unstable installations over time. In fact Notsoimportant's tantrum in his video is more a sample of a tilted player with a bad attitude than an example of a problem with the game. As far as gameplay goes as long as it is equal for all then we all can adapt to these visual quirks. For example if Kayle didn't suffer from the same range issues she would have killed him when she retaliated in that clip but Jax got to skirt the hit boxes on his exit too.
: Kai sa was afk then DC at 2:30 yet we couldn't remake. -15 LP. I want it back
Agreed. Problem with the remake option is that they only let you remake if a player failed to load ... not if they get in and then DC a few seconds or minutes into the game.
: Why are there so many afk’s in ranked?
I want to encourage others to report this too. I have lost 4 ranked games in the last two days with DC's on my team. One game we were winning 4v5 and then a SECOND player got DC'd. It seems to be a pretty common problem. To make it even worse there are a lot of games where players are just DCing briefly and then reconnecting so it is tough to know how many games it is affecting. But it has gotten bad recently.
Gryszly (NA)
: Erm, Thanks but, this is the sort of thing I was asking people not to post... You see, you have to remember that of the millions of people who play this game, only a few thousand may have this kind of issue. So yeah I can understand tech support thinking its not a problem with the game but its external issues. If you sold a product that you refill with new cool features every couple of months and you have hundreds buying those products and a few say its defective or broken or whatever, with hundreds more people not experiencing defectiveness, who is it easier to listen to? I don't want to play the blame game, and I don't believe its Riot's issue. From whats been happening I can see it may be a weird disconnect between Windows and AMD, or maybe my poor Inspiron gal is too old for league ;-;. But I'm no tech/game dev/graphics card expert, so I can't (and won't) pinpoint the problem on any company, its not like they meant for this to happen to some people. Also Im sure tech support is just cranky because they have to deal with blame blame blame all day xd. And another thing, I've seen these boards that describe the same problem from years ago as well, and everytime someone posts that "Its Riot's fault and they won't fix it because 'bla blah blah'" The thread seems to die. Which makes sense, no worker wants to provide help on a thread when they're already being attacked,and no one wants to provide assistance to someone whose now dead-set on the idea that Riot is the issue and won't look at everything else first. Like my grandmother told me, there's multiple ways to peel a tomato....yea, a tomato. Sorry for typos an all that, and hopefully that didnt come as rude, Im on my phone.
> [{quoted}](name=Gryszly,realm=NA,application-id=LqLKtMpN,discussion-id=qrBUzKwF,comment-id=00010000,timestamp=2019-02-16T02:52:50.321+0000) > > Erm, Thanks but, this is the sort of thing I was asking people not to post... > You see, you have to remember that of the millions of people who play this game, only a few thousand may have this kind of issue. So yeah I can understand tech support thinking its not a problem with the game but its external issues. If you sold a product that you refill with new cool features every couple of months and you have hundreds buying those products and a few say its defective or broken or whatever, with hundreds more people not experiencing defectiveness, who is it easier to listen to? I don't want to play the blame game, and I don't believe its Riot's issue. From whats been happening I can see it may be a weird disconnect between Windows and AMD, or maybe my poor Inspiron gal is too old for league ;-;. But I'm no tech/game dev/graphics card expert, so I can't (and won't) pinpoint the problem on any company, its not like they meant for this to happen to some people. Also Im sure tech support is just cranky because they have to deal with blame blame blame all day xd. > > And another thing, I've seen these boards that describe the same problem from years ago as well, and everytime someone posts that "Its Riot's fault and they won't fix it because 'bla blah blah'" The thread seems to die. Which makes sense, no worker wants to provide help on a thread when they're already being attacked,and no one wants to provide assistance to someone whose now dead-set on the idea that Riot is the issue and won't look at everything else first. Like my grandmother told me, there's multiple ways to peel a tomato....yea, a tomato. > Sorry for typos an all that, and hopefully that didnt come as rude, Im on my phone. Lol Grizzly, For the record .. I am not running AMD like you, I am running NVidia. I am also on an Intel Chip, in a standard Off-the-shelf name brand gaming laptop, so I am mainstream as it gets. This isn't about playing the blame game so much as telling you that your problem is one that many people experience with a variety of hardware configurations and explaining what you can do about it. Because you are looking for solutions, and I am telling you that RIOT doesn't have any because it is core to their product and at some point in the future they could fix it by giving their software a thorough bug fix, but for now that clearly is not their plan. The bugs and problems seem mostly to by in RIOT's patching and upgrading system because if you un--install and then re-install you will discover that the problem goes away for a few weeks to a few months. Then it will slowly get worse and worse until it starts collapsing your system again. Even one of the Tech Support guys I was dealing with said that he re-installs every couple of months just to clean it all up and avoid problems! So, the insanity here is that RIOT knows full well that this is a problem in their game. Look how many threads for the last 5 years talk about the same problem. For really casual players it likely isn't a big deal because they don't notice the performance drops and periodic upgrades or following online advice will keep the game working "well enough". For example I was playing a lot less for a couple of years and during that time just slowly turning down the graphics settings, shutting down background applications, putting LOL in Low Specs mode, and running the Hex-tech tool from time-to-time seemed to minimize the problems. It wasn't until I started playing more frequently again and patching every cycle that things got disastrous. But to simply tell you to un-install and re-install doesn't help the underlying problem. It will fix your problems, but not get RIOT to be more honest with its user base. In fact RIOT could solve a LOT of these problems by just telling people to START by un-installing and re-installing. But they don't do that because if they did, it would be an admission on their part that their patching system is the cause of the problem! So they drag people through the "Tech Support" process instead and at the very end of it, if they can't get things working "well enough" to satisfy you THEN you will be advised to un-install and re-install and miraculously this will work. The proof is in trying it. There is no risk in un-installing and re-installing, it is just as if you are setting up a new computer and logging back into your account. If there was really any problem on your end then re-installing the game would fix NOTHING! On the other hand if re-installing improves anything or completely fixes it then you have the proof that the problem was in RIOT's game code. Again why this is the last piece of advice they ever seem to give. For me the dead give-away as to the source of the problem is the fact that nothing else I play has similar issues. This is literally a problem I experience ONLY on LOL.
: League freezing randomly while in-game
Everyone please make a support ticket with RIOT. They need to know about this problem because when I did they seem to think I am the only one. In short I had very similar problems even after upgrading to a brand new gaming laptop and running nothing but LOL on it for a while. Make the support ticket, do the trouble shooting if you want, but in the end nothing they say will actually really fix the problem. There is a solution that I have found that works. When you start getting the crashes and freezes just UNINSTALL and REINSTALL the game fresh. The fresh install seems to do more to fix problems than anything else. I am finding that I have to reinstall about every 2 months to keep it working.
: Freezing IN GAME
Same problem started for me months ago. I went through the whole trouble shooting process with Tech support (gotta give them credit for trying). But nothing was fixed. They seem to be insistent that is has to be a problem on my end. Yet I played other online games on the same computer and none of them had any crashes. Tech was thinking maybe it was a conflict with my anti-virus Avast. I even tried turning it off to no avail. I ended up upgrading my computer anyway a couple of months into the process. Shock!!! Brand new Asus Scar II gaming laptop ... much better, crashes less, but still crashes and today I had it completely freeze up again just like the old one. In fact LOL would still crash from time-to-time on a brand new, fresh computer with nothing else installed! Solution in short (I published a longer version on other threads) is to just UNINSTALL and REINSTALL. But make sure that you put in a formal support ticket to RIOT requesting support so that they know you are having the problem. If you put in a ticket I guarantee someone will get back to you because they always do. Their techs will give you really good information on trouble shooting and depending on how dedicated you are to following it all up it can help you optimize your system for LOL. But in the end nothing they say will really fix it, it is an underlying problem in the LOL system. The only real solution is a regular fresh install.
Gryszly (NA)
: Screen Perma-Freezing
Same problem started for me months ago. I went through the whole trouble shooting process with Tech support (gotta give them credit for trying). But nothing was fixed. They seem to be insistent that is has to be a problem on my end. Yet I played other online games (and used other applications) on the same computer and none of them had any crashes. Tech was thinking maybe it was a conflict with my anti-virus Avast. I even tried turning it off to no avail. I ended up upgrading my computer anyway a couple of months into the process. Shock!!! Brand new Asus Scar II gaming laptop ... much better, crashes less, but still crashes and today I had it completely freeze up again just like the old one. Basically on the old computer I would get frame drops down to single digits even though when it was running smoothly that system could render about 80 FPS. On my new computer it can easily render well over 200 FPS so frame drops (which still happen) don't affect me much because it still stays fast. In fact LOL would still crash from time-to-time on a brand new, fresh computer with nothing else installed! And just in case RIOT reads this ... yes that includes NO AVAST so it was not an anti-virus conflict. So here is my advice: 1) Open a support ticket with RIOT. They will make you feel like you are the only person on earth that this is happening to, but they will try to help. 2) After you open the ticket (mostly as a means of telling RIOT that their engine coding is crap), ignore about 90% of anything they say because a TON of it is just you doing all of the leg work for them to trouble shoot their code. HOWEVER. If you are having any problems with any other programs on the computer in ADDITION to League, go step-by-step through RIOT's trouble shooting because it is actually pretty thorough and their tech guys seem to know their stuff so if you have ANY problems with your system that will pretty much help you find them. 3) After that just completely UNINSTALL and REINSTALL League fresh. (In the future make this your first step.) The fresh install seems to help a lot. My game still crashes to desk top at times, and today I had another complete lock up freeze like you described, so it is time for me to uninstall and reinstall again myself. Basically something RIOT does in its updates or some other failure on their part to update and overwrite key files properly during some of the patches (despite the massive size of some of the downloads) seems to let crappy bloat happen and creates ghosts in the machine that crash the game. It is probably some form of file corruption but RIOT loves to make you jump through hoops and check every other problem and blame your end for a problem that according to them doesn't exist. If you search the boards there are threads like this going back years so clearly the problem DOES exist. On my old computer I had installs of numerous BLIZZARD titles that I have patched and run for YEARS without needing to reinstall them. With League I am finding that it needs to be done about every 2 months. On my new computer which now had my game library fully install League remains the only title that I have to be this hand-on to keep running properly. Everything else I play is "install once and it looks after itself". If I didn't love the gameplay so much I would quit for the poor quality of the "reliability" of the product. But this game is a bit like a drug ... no matter how bad it is we keep coming back to it.
Swifteyy (EUW)
: Laptop freezing during game
Same problem started for me months ago. I went through the whole trouble shooting process with Tech support (gotta give them credit for trying). But nothing was fixed. They seem to be insistent that is has to be a problem on my end. Yet I played other online games on the same computer and none of them had any crashes. Tech was thinking maybe it was a conflict with my anti-virus Avast. I even tried turning it off to no avail. I ended up upgrading my computer anyway a couple of months into the process. Shock!!! Brand new Asus Scar II gaming laptop ... much better, crashes less, but still crashes and today I had it completely freeze up again just like the old one. In fact LOL would still crash from time-to-time on a brand new, fresh computer with nothing else installed! About the only advice I can give is to uninstall and reinstall League. By doing that I reduce my number of crashes and freezes to a minimum. I still had another one today, but they are rare enough that I have stopped getting the delayed queue timer. Also make sure to put in a support ticket to Riot. Even though I have found multiple threads on this very same issue on the boards you would think when I was talking with tech support that I was the only one in the world that this was happening to,
: Freezing Constantly
Same problem started for me months ago. I went through the whole trouble shooting process with Tech support (gotta give them credit for trying). But nothing was fixed. They seem to be insistent that is has to be a problem on my end. Yet I played other online games on the same computer and none of them had any crashes. Tech was thinking maybe it was a conflict with my anti-virus Avast. I even tried turning it off to no avail. I ended up upgrading my computer anyway a couple of months into the process. Shock!!! Brand new Asus Scar II gaming laptop ... much better, crashes less, but still crashes and today I had it completely freeze up again just like the old one. In fact LOL would still crash from time-to-time on a brand new, fresh computer with nothing else installed!
Rioter Comments
: Chicago Connection Clinic Megathread [Closed]
I am playing on Shaw from Alberta Canada. Pings appear to have gone up from bout 43 on the old servers to about 70 on the new and really it should be about the same for us from the old location to the new one but 70 would still be ok. My problem is that the ping is outrageously erratic. Some games seem pretty stable and others I am getting ping spikes over 1200 when I engage into team fights. I have run the network logs and win monitor to check the pings and they look stable so it must be something in the servers or the game itself. There definitely appear to be some packets being lost at times in play. My network will have small spike at times but it is one random packet at a time and then the next will drop back to 1 ms again but I can get strings of slow packets from the game servers even though the route looks pretty good and my experience with the win monitor tool is that even it gives more consistent pings than the game client seems to. The problem with the monitor though is I don't leave it running for 40 minutes like I would for a game so I guess that would be the next thing to try and see if there are spiky periods over time.
: > [{quoted}](name=ElJanitorFrank,realm=NA,application-id=LqLKtMpN,discussion-id=jwYEn9Pu,comment-id=0000,timestamp=2015-06-01T23:40:41.919+0000) > > They're working on it, posting more stuff that floods the boards isn't helping anybody. I don't understand why people down vote you, I've seen rioters comment several times about trying to fix it ASAP, and I see about 10 threads of this same topic everytime i refress the forums.
> [{quoted}](name=ToxicPrint,realm=NA,application-id=LqLKtMpN,discussion-id=jwYEn9Pu,comment-id=00000000,timestamp=2015-06-02T00:10:45.040+0000) > > I don't understand why people down vote you, I've seen rioters comment several times about trying to fix it ASAP, and I see about 10 threads of this same topic everytime i refress the forums. Not only do my log in attempts fail most often on first attempt but the Chat Client never connects and takes two or three attempts to get into as well. Once in a while or even ongoing for a day or two would be acceptable for bugs like this but this is at least a week or more now. Add in bad lag on NA servers lately and it makes you wonder why any of us are actually paying for this service.
: I'd just like to say that I received a reward for good behavior, but I haven't been good really. I assume it was an oversight. I was gifted Defender Leona for good behavior and I'd really rather it was taken back as I did not earn it.
Big Kudos for honesty there. This is my problem with Riot's system. If they are saying that 95% of players earned the reward then their definition of good behavior is FAR too generous.
: Please take a look Riot because you could be doing it so much better! Positive reinforcement, and rewards in general have their best effects when the reinforcer or reward are clearly made contingent on desired behavior. You do X then you get Y. Without a clear connection then you are actually using non-contingent reinforcement which in business, instruction, and anywhere you're trying to get a specific behavior to occur will more than likely not get you the results you want. The "schedule" doesn't have to be very dense to get desired behavior but if we have learned anything in over 80+ years of research and application, the reinforcer must be contingent on desired behavior. I'm a 4th year doctoral student in Behavior Analysis with a concentration in Organizational Behavior Management, I can provide you with countless research articles to validate this point. Please find someone with a degree in behavior analysis to help you guys out.
Thank you! Random reward is an important part but knowing what is good and bad is also important. That is why I think that the honor system should be clarified and promoted along with the reporting system to create a "positive vs negative" rank for a player and then likelihood of reward should be linked to overall positivity which would be easy for a player to tell by how often they were receiving honors or reports.
lnfiniti (NA)
: Very interesting article but here let me explain something. Lets say that you were in promotion from silver to gold and you won your first two games then lost the next two because of trolls. So now you feel a little frustrated; you are first pick and you chose vi jungle it goes down the line and everyone chooses their roles and then all of a sudden the last person locks ammumu jungle and says jungle or feed. You think omg another troll but in chat you say fine i'll support. During that game the ammumu who got jungle feeds the other team bad and then loses your promotion series so you curse him out because you are pissed. You get reported by your team and get chat banned. Explain to me how I am supposed to respond the the scum of the community for example that ammumu? Chat muting doesn't really stop feeding.
PureX I agree with your sentiment but Trost has it right. If you manage that situation with grace and then politely ask your team to report the Ammumu for unsportsmanlike behavior you will get likely no negative reporting against you and Ammumu will get more against him. Now if we could convince Riot to actually DO more with the reporting system that would be a miracle.
: And BAM! A couple trolls give you false reports - bye bye reward. You can be the nicest player in the game and get reported continuously.
That too is an issue. I suggested in my main post on this thread that no one negative report should stand alone, but I think that expanding on that idea there should be an administrative punishment from RIOT for false reporting. Although I very rarely see false reporting, it is something that is so important that the game Admins should be actively monitoring and punishing for it. The best punishment would be to remove the reporting and honor options entirely from the offending player and for everyone else to see that his options are grayed out after game so that they know that his toxic spew cannot be passed on.
: I don't feel like this is effective at all to be honest. I'm a player that's out to win (in ranked) normal's (i could careless about) but ranked i'm a player that is not afraid to hold people accountable for. which is something that has gotten me suspended for ( not because i'm a rage/ flamer) but people don't understand that ranked shouldn't be for dicking around or trolling. the incentive of a mystery skin isn't something that's going to make me in league terms a less of a "toxic" player because i feel like the people that troll ranked need to be removed from the game.... and the players in games that arnt pulling their weight should be told so.... i'm sorry those people cant handle the truth. I feel like if i'm playing like garbage people should be able to say that to me and i wont cry about/ report them for being toxic if we can do it in a respectful way. the fact of the matter is the game is so broken right now in the sense of trolling in all levels of the ranked system that people like myself that are sick and tired of being jerked around by there match making system that we are being suspended for voicing our opinions / holding people accountable....for example suspended because i said fuck twice in a game because i said i was sick of being matched up with a troll after i was matched with 7 afk players in a row yes I dropped the f bomb twice in that game but i was accused of calling someone a F@ggot.... which after review chat logs was not the case and after i brought that to their attention the reasoning was because i said the F word to many times ( for those that don't believe me i will post my entire ticket if needed)...so at the end of the day a mystery skin will only be incentive if riot can figure out how to better hold players accountable for their garbage play and not ban people for saying the Fbomb twice
Thameos this is the second one in this topic area that I have to agree totally with you on. Half of the problem is that people like Trooerdeth here believe that there is only ONE WAY to play this game and it is THEIR WAY! The reality is that Trooperdeth and people that think like him are wrong entirely and while there are tried and true strategies that pay off more often than others there is no one winning system. I get frustrated when my team doesn't play the way I like to play but I try to adapt to my team mates and their play style even if it is a little less likely to be successful because we have a better chance of winning if we play as a team even using unconventional tactics than we have playing against each other.
Drogeist (NA)
: This is pretty cool, and I'm grateful to Riot for attempting to reward its positive (and even neutral) players. So thanks! However, while I agree with the psychology behind it (ie, random rewards are better at promoting the desired behavior or non-behavior), I would also propose that there are additional things that could be implemented that would allow players who are *exceptionally* positive to distinguish themselves, and yet still retain the element of an ongoing and/or random reward that is so important for sustained behavior change. For example, perhaps players can have a limited amount of honor to distribute that should be given to only the most positive players in their games. Of course there needs to be limits on this like only random players in queue, not pre-made, friends-list, etc. As people accumulate more and more honor their chances of winning *something* gradually increase. This means players can earn their reward sooner with exceptionally positive behavior, but maybe not earn more rewards than other people. The random element here is time (ie, when you get something), but it could also still be the reward itself. In this case you wouldn't know what you'll get, but you have better odds of getting it sooner if you are super positive and helpful to other players. This example still contains the problem of ceasing the positive behavior after earning the reward, but there are workarounds like maybe an unknown but tiered reward system for accumulating honor, or being eligible for multiple rewards even after you earn one. As another example maybe very positive players can earn chances to play a mini-game of some kind that has a small chance of rewarding the player with something neat. Everyone can play the game, but exceptionally positive players can play *more*, or have better odds of winning when they play, or have larger prizes (e.g., longer ip boost, etc). Here again, the reward has a random element because you might not win anything, and/or you have no control over what you might win. However, the goal of being very positive and friendly to players is promoted through the *opportunity* to maybe win something, or to have more *frequent* opportunities to win. In this example there is no incentive to stop being a positive community member after earning a reward (like there is in the "10 games to be a positive player" example above. Jeez, the reward for being super positive could even be random a little popup message that occasionally congratulates you for being such a positive teammate or opponent. To promote ongoing sportsmanlike behavior, maybe the reward can be temporary access to a neat profile border or icon, and unless you sustain your behavior, you'll lose it next week/month/etc. I've always thought the ribbon system we have now has so much unrealized potential. Why can't you have multiple ribbons simultaneously? Why can't you or others view ribbon(s) earned in your in-game profile? Why don't ribbon(s) appear on the boards, or in chat? Long post, I know. But there are some ideas for expanding this really cool program and potentially dramatically improving player interactions and behaviors.
I strongly agree with this type of approach. I suggested something similar in my post a little more recently and then found this reading further along. RIOT!!! Please give this idea some SERIOUS consideration.
: Player Behavior Design Values: Reward
I think that this whole idea is a step in the right direction, but does not go nearly far enough. I would love to see the reporting and Honor system mean a whole lot more as well. A truly positive player is the one that I will honor as an honorable opponent, win or lose that opponent earned respect. The next up in my positive player list is the one that gets an honor from me as a team mate and is someone that I do not know in this game and finally good to have but not generally overly valuable to the system is the honor that I give to a friend that I already know in the game. If Riot truly wants to encourage positive play there should be a small percentage chance of a mystery reward after every positive game (say 3% per honorable opponent that stacks and then resets upon reward, 1% per team mate honor from an unaffiliated player, and 0.1% from an affiliated player). So if you are a star of positivity and everyone in game honored you, which would likely never happen, and if you were not affiliated with any of them you could theoretically get a 19% increase in your "Reward Meter" from one spectacular game. A normal positive game might get you 2% to 6% positive. Then any negative score and being reported by more than 2 players on your team or by all opponents and any 1 player on your team should result in a your "Reward Meter" being reduced by 10% and that meter should be able to go into the negative to some degree. That way no one person or even duo in duo queue could just troll you with negative reporting because a single report from anyone wouldn't hurt your reputation. But some consensus from the entire other team or from more than 2 of your own players that you were a jerk would offset a lot of positives. With this model anyone who plays positive enough to stay above zero COULD get a random reward after any positive game, so that would encourage even some of the trolls to be good and it would strongly encourage the neutral players to up the courtesy level of their play because even a little bit of good might pay off once in a while. This would also be a great model to really reward the MOST POSITIVE players in the game because their "Reward Meter" would steadily increase making it more and more likely with each positive game that they would get a reward. Then once a reward is given the Meter resets and begins to build again. And the beauty of this system would be that a player that is generally very positive but has a bad day and perhaps behaves out of character might lose a little bit of the positive side of his "Reward Meter" and would not be eligible for a reward right after that particular negative game but as soon as he is back to being good, his Meter would still be positive overall so the very next positive game MIGHT still generate a reward. The truly toxic players would always be in the negative scores on their "Reward Meter" and would never receive a reward and then Riot could truly look at the players that have the consistently negative "Reward Meter" scores in the game and flag them for formal punishment as well.
Rueian (NA)
: With the tension that this game brings, it is difficult to stay positive and outside the light of even being considered for a reward. Far to many players dont care about winning, and the ones that do care about winning get punished.
I agree with Thameos here. You don't get punished for caring about winning ... you get punished for being a sore or poor loser. For every player that gets to win a game another player has to lose. I hate losing, but that doesn't mean that I have the right to crap on my team mates or even my opponents for my loss. Having said that I don't think that this approach that Riot is taking is nearly strong enough. If 95% of players received the positive surprise for 2014 then it is FAR TOO EASY to achieve because in my experience at least 20% of players on this game are consistently both poor winners AND poor losers. Then another 20% seem to know how to win with some grace but are still poor losers blaming everyone but themselves.
Lyte (NA)
: Rewards for positive play
I have no problem having my logs reviewed. I must admit though that while I try to always be positive, there are the odd times that someone gets the best of me and drives me crazy enough to be rude back. I hope this fixes it all.
Rioter Comments
Rioter Comments

ScarletFever105

Level 122 (NA)
Lifetime Upvotes
Create a Discussion