: Glad to see someone else is excited for the new {{champion:78}} ! Gotta admit, even though I have her the reason I didn't play her often was because of her old ultimate after figuring out how strong it was. =/ New ult is still gonna be one hell of a game changer though!
> [{quoted}](name=Bow hunter 16,realm=NA,application-id=3ErqAdtq,discussion-id=kAs7ElEI,comment-id=0000,timestamp=2015-12-09T09:41:40.706+0000) > > Glad to see someone else is excited for the new {{champion:78}} ! Gotta admit, even though I have her the reason I didn't play her often was because of her old ultimate after figuring out how strong it was. =/ > > New ult is still gonna be one hell of a game changer though! I like the idea of her new Ult. It is a situational Ult that can severely change team fights. It isn't a pound your keyboard ult whenever it's ready.
Rioter Comments
Mimy (NA)
: {{champion:78}} {{champion:117}} share a candy theme. {{champion:18}} {{champion:117}} share a dragon and winter theme. Can we get a theme for {{champion:78}} {{champion:18}} ? _________________________________________________ or maybe... {{champion:18}} {{champion:117}} {{champion:78}} ALL OF THEM HAVING A THEME o3o I KNOW!! {{champion:117}} Pink... blossom {{champion:18}} Blue... bubbles {{champion:78}} Green.... buttercup.... Yordle Yuff Tristana/lulu/poppy If you don't get it.. your too young to play...
Oh god... I never considered a powerpuff yordles... O.O I would love to see a pirate poppy or a master of the bellows (blacksmith) Tristana
Rioter Comments
Rioter Comments
luryas123 (EUW)
: There is also some taunts between Vi and Ekko ingame that could mean Vi is or was Ekkos girlfriend? just a idea
I don't know if Ekko is hinting that Vi is his girlfriend, or if it a solidarity thing because she is from Zaun.
Meddler (NA)
: Should be out before Shen or Taric. I don't want to make any promises we can't be certain of beyond that, but she's getting a lot of focused work right now.
so is she going to be out for 2015? or is she getting pushed back to 2016?
: Laughing Fish's 40k lifetime upvote spectacular! (Come and get your free skins!)
well your getting close to those upgrades, Laughing Fish :)
: To whoever composed Kindred's login music
Kindred's Login theme is driving me nuts. I've heard parts of this piece before, but I can't figure out where. It was something Riot related (like the music pieces or the documentary) but for the life of me I don't know where. >.< It is such a solid and unique piece too.
: Its a good concept and art. I really like the tombstone shield. I think you tried to give her fluffy ears like a modern Yordle and thats a great touch. A reaper type skin for her like the Draven one that redoes her VO a little would be pretty cool. The one part of this I'm not especially fond of is replacing her iconic hammer with another non-bludgeoning weapon. Maybe a shovel or a stylized hammer with a blade on the back? Like Ultimate Mjolnir but with the sickle blade instead of an axe: http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/marveldatabase/images/0/08/Mjolnir_%28Earth-1610%29_from_Ultimate_Power_Vol_1_5_0001.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/100?cb=20111105233522 I always bugs me that decent skin ideas like this never get much upvotes though.
Shovel could be interesting. The problem is that there are very few spectral hammers. If the scythe was an actor it would be type cast. On an unrelated note my next door neighbor uses a giant 8 ft scythe to cut the grass in his field. It is a spooky thing to see in action.
: don't expect a skin before the massive VU she is getting soon.
I'm not, the fun thing about this board is the fact that these are pie in the sky ideas. It's doubtful that you will see anything, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't post them anyway.
Alaylia (NA)
: I wish they would also do some updates with a few of her splash arts. Like for her basic and lolipoppy... seriously lolipoppy looks creepy http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac188/photoates/League%20of%20Legends/Poppy_Splash_2.jpg
> [{quoted}](name=Saeyu,realm=NA,application-id=A8FQeEA8,discussion-id=lEqEtmze,comment-id=0000,timestamp=2015-09-23T07:11:37.549+0000) > > I wish they would also do some updates with a few of her splash arts. Like for her basic and lolipoppy... seriously lolipoppy looks creepy > > http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac188/photoates/League%20of%20Legends/Poppy_Splash_2.jpg They didn't do that with Scion or any of the other VU champions. That would be asking a bit much. Teh Lolipoppy is love, Teh Lolipoppy is life, behold as she stares deeply into your soul!
Rioter Comments
WolfBV (NA)
: > [{quoted}](name=Bear Hat Alice,realm=NA,application-id=cIfEodbz,discussion-id=F777ycva,comment-id=0008,timestamp=2015-05-15T01:13:56.911+0000) > > Hey guys, this was us accidentally pointing the notifications service at a test environment. We rolled that change back, so it should be back to normal (if you had notifications, they should be there again). This was not a hack.
> [{quoted}](name=WolfBV,realm=NA,application-id=bzRrPGQO,discussion-id=zLx8tGaU,comment-id=0005,timestamp=2015-05-29T07:46:11.941+0000) > > thanks... I saw this 15 days ago.... LOL
Cabigon (NA)
: It is totally, 100% A-OK for LeBlanc to have such high burst
I think le Blanc is going to have a bit of trouble with ekko. He seems very jumpy as a way to engage, something le Blanc doesn't like. It would be interesting to see a match of Ekko V Le Blanc.
: Thank You For The Ekko Comic
Question: If Ekko's time spinner got damaged during the fight with the whistling dude, is that why the spinner works how it works in the game?
: Hilarious but immature
{{champion:78}} Penis will know harmony {{champion:113}} I will not hide behind another penis oh god... whats wrong with me?!
: Okay, I'm not HUGE into the lore, but even I think Ekko's lore is disappointing.
I understand that the lore is suppose to be a brief summary. However the video gave more questions about Ekko that the summary should have touched on. Questions like "who the F was the kid with the goggles? why was there a shrine to him? why was Ekko protecting the shrine? It seemed like the kid had extreme importance to Ekko, but then we have nothing to know who the F that kid was. By his looks I thought He developed the Zero-Drive and was killed because of it. Ekko picked up to use the Zero-drive as a zow to stop people like the ones who killed his friend.
: Are we getting closer to "C"?
In Ekko's sound files he flat out says he's waiting for Vi to come back to Zaun.
Rioter Comments
: Fix the patch. The store won't open.
I'm having the same problem. No store.
Rioter Comments
Sharjo (EUW)
: Ekko: The Boy who Shattered Time
Did you guys notice that Ekko's sword looks a lot like the blasters Lucian uses? Ekko's sword isn't sharp. It's seems like it's using energy to cut through things.
: From what I've seen, that's {{champion:6}}.
> [{quoted}](name=PumpEquinox,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=VELolYKj,comment-id=000e0000,timestamp=2015-05-11T02:52:05.961+0000) > > From what I've seen, that's {{champion:6}}. the rioter working on Urgot's rework said that it's not him.
: The Trinity of Botlane and What it Means for Supports
We do need to change the framework of your argument a little. Change sustain to utility. This subtle change changes the champs you talk about and the nature of the rock paper scissors your going for. (edit: Oh dear I'm having to rebuild your argument to fit a better trinity) So the support trinity is Utility, Siege, Line breakers. The last type of "Support" is kill lane, which isn't a normal support. As you pointed out Utility Beats Siege, Siege is suppose to beat Line breakers, Line breakers beats Utility. Oddly I don't see tank supports very often anymore, so we will split them between Seige/Line breaker/utility) Utility: Lulu, Sona, Nami, Soraka (though really she's the only remaining sustain healer), Janna, Bard, Taric. Generally these heroes have less damage spells, but have more spells that aide the Marksmen. All of them can heal, to varying degrees. They have tools the marksmen can use to get kills, they are the buffers/debuffers. I don't think that Riot hates healers, but I do think Riot wants healers to come at some cost. Let's Look at the last three Healers. Soraka had a recent change to her kit so I am saying she is one of the three 'new' healers to come out. Each of the new healers have a cost associated to their healing. Soraka's healing comes directly from her life. Bard's healing is an element of time. Nami's healing comes at a risk. Going further Lulu and Janna's heals are their ults, but both of these ults do something else in addition to healing. Siege: Champs of this category would be Lux, Morgana, Braum, Ziliean, Orianna, Zyra. Generally they force the enemy marksmen back from the minions and are setup in front of or in line with the Ally marksmen. They don't really have a lot of ways of saving the marksmen if things go tits ups, but they force the enemy into a situation of being starved or setup for death from the ally marksmen. I would say for the most part the tank supports fall in this section. Line breakers: Thresh, Leona, Blitz, Alistar, (Arguably Braum, but he doesn't really force out of position plays like the other champs). These champs FORCE out of position plays. All of them have some sort of grab or jump. All of them can get to the squishy support or marksmen very easily. Thresh is like the love child of Blitz and Leona, he can grab and jump to. Which leads to interesting plays. Alistar is an oddity on this list, His line breaker involves firing a champ backwards leaving the other champ sitting wondering where the other person went. Most people top lane Alistar, which is a shame cause he can be an excellent line breaker.
: How do you feel about some of the more recent champions on this front? There are a few that hit the simple-but-effective mechanics for me, but curious how you see it. For the record, the last 10 champions were: {{champion:432}} {{champion:421}} {{champion:429}} {{champion:268}} {{champion:150}} {{champion:201}} {{champion:161}} {{champion:157}} {{champion:222}} {{champion:236}} (Could also include the {{champion:14}} rework, since he's essentially a new champ at this point) How do these champions stack up for you in terms of mechanical complexity?
> [{quoted}](name=Riot ShadowStorm,realm=NA,application-id=A8FQeEA8,discussion-id=b4Jf0Rq9,comment-id=000f,timestamp=2015-05-07T20:29:57.865+0000) > > How do you feel about some of the more recent champions on this front? There are a few that hit the simple-but-effective mechanics for me, but curious how you see it. For the record, the last 10 champions were: > > {{champion:432}} {{champion:421}} {{champion:429}} {{champion:268}} {{champion:150}} {{champion:201}} {{champion:161}} {{champion:157}} {{champion:222}} {{champion:236}} > > (Could also include the {{champion:14}} rework, since he's essentially a new champ at this point) > > How do these champions stack up for you in terms of mechanical complexity? I wouldn't call any of those champions really simple like the champs OP mentioned. All of the last ten champs are mostly skill shot champs. Braum is arguably the easiest mechanically of the last 10 champs. Sion isn't that easy to use his skill shots take some getting used to. Bard's difficulty lies in his chimes. It requires the support to leave the ADC alone while he runs off, leaving both him and his ADC vulnerable to ganks.
: {{item:1028}} +{{item:1027}} = garnet sightstone {{item:1028}} +{{item:1036}} = pearl sightstone {{item:1028}} +{{item:2054}} {{item:2054}} {{item:2054}} {{item:2054}} {{item:2054}} = amethyst sightstone that is simply how it must be done
> [{quoted}](name=Ravoria,realm=NA,application-id=3ErqAdtq,discussion-id=0jtsiE88,comment-id=000f,timestamp=2015-05-03T15:54:29.163+0000) > {{item:1028}} +{{item:2054}} {{item:2054}} {{item:2054}} {{item:2054}} {{item:2054}} = amethyst sightstone That would be the Poro sightstone and you know it! ;) All joking aside, having an ability power sightstone, an Armor/MR sightstone, maybe a couple others would be helpful. Make a few different flavors so that would entice other lanes to pick up a sightstone. That way everyone can ward and not complain about the support not warding enough when they are at 3/3 in wards! >:\
Rioter Comments
: Lux players,your wishes have been heard.New GIRLY Lux skin on PBE.
That is a super cute Lux skin! @.@ Man I can't wait to see the rest of the magic girl series. A 5 woman team of the star guardian scouts! :D
Kagemyth (NA)
: Riot Pls (share your stories about games with rioters)
I've been playing since season 2, I only just recently got the privileged to play with two rioters. I got the random luck to play with them during URF! It was totally awesome and completely not expected! :D Our team won, With one Rioter playing {{champion:62}} and the other playing {{champion:30}}. :D
nark (NA)
: Actually Sona is a great champion to have this discussion around, albeit one that causes me to question some of my original argument. Hmm..... Sona might be _too_ easy to play at an acceptable level. One of my design friends likes to say, "play 100 games with Lee Sin and you'd be lucky to have a 50% win rate, play 100 games as Sona and you'd be hard pressed to NOT have a 50% winrate... " What are your thoughts on her? Too easy? Hard to make yourself shine as a great Sona player? Another thing that we like to talk about at Riot is differentiating the good [Insert champion here] and the great [insert champion here]. Besides hitting her ultimate (and even then, the range/width is fucking massive so you shouldn't miss it too often, especially with flash), does Sona hurt or help that design goal?
> [{quoted}](name=Narcmage,realm=NA,application-id=3ErqAdtq,discussion-id=4KiI4FsE,comment-id=001a000000020000,timestamp=2015-04-25T21:40:56.341+0000) > > Actually Sona is a great champion to have this discussion around, albeit one that causes me to question some of my original argument. > > Hmm..... Sona might be _too_ easy to play at an acceptable level. One of my design friends likes to say, "play 100 games with Lee Sin and you'd be lucky to have a 50% win rate, play 100 games as Sona and you'd be hard pressed to NOT have a 50% winrate... " > > What are your thoughts on her? Too easy? Hard to make yourself shine as a great Sona player? > > Another thing that we like to talk about at Riot is differentiating the good [Insert champion here] and the great [insert champion here]. Besides hitting her ultimate (and even then, the range/width is fucking massive so you shouldn't miss it too often, especially with flash), does Sona hurt or help that design goal? Actually she's too hands off and it makes her frustrating to play! You have no control over where her heals or damage is going (and it's hard to judge an invisible range). I don't mind her "press a button and it happens" play style, but if I'm targeting an ADC, and two tanks are closer, She's hitting the tanks! You kinda play "PRESS ALL THE BUTTONS!" and hope to ping something important, while healing something important. *edit* She needs to have some level of control, if she is autoattacking a champ one of her cords should prioritize what she is attacking. That being said, She is a champion that is really easy to learn the role of support with. Which is good, she should be the entrance level support character. If I were to use a call of duty term, she is the noob tube of league. She does not take a lot of skill for a lot of power. However League already has a champ that fills that role in {{champion:12}}. Sona needs to be about control, rather than desperately mashing buttons. Honestly she should be a champion that teaches about timing sorta like DDR. Now with that timing mechanic you could do something like back in the day when each cord would linger into the next chord, which was a fun mechanic. Pushing that mechanic idea further you should be able to create new meaning in her chords. Q + W = stronger heal; E + Q = Enemy slow when hit by Q; W + E = faster speed. E + R Longer Stun duration, but Q + R = higher R damage, while W + R = shield on all allies hit. Create game context with her music.
nark (NA)
: I mean, there's a huge difference between > This champion requires you to press buttons in the right order at the right time, and their "OP SICK COMBOS NERF CHAMP IMMEDIATELY" are very difficult to pull off (think {{champion:238}}, {{champion:7}}, {{champion:64}}) and > This champion requires a lot of decision making but is mechanically very easy to play at an acceptable level (think {{champion:13}}, {{champion:8}}, {{champion:21}}) I think it's important to clarify that difference. I mean, this game is massive and how you play a champion varies greatly depending upon your lane or jungle matchup and your/your enemy's team composition. I think the a very easy to understand example of this is {{champion:61}}. Think of her kit: Q. Move ball do damage W. Press button do damage do cc LOL XD E. Press button shield ally R. Press button instant engage, nuke, disengage These abilities are pretty easy to understand and sound simple compared to some kits. And even though it's a simple kit in concept, it's very easy to fuck up and look like a total scrub (how many times has that try hard Ori on your team missed her ulti? Yeah... Horror stories) However, we see this champion consistently represented in the highest level of play for her versatility. I believe she has 2 major areas of versatility which top Orianna players take advantage of. 1. You can choose a starting item build/starting spell (usually between Q and E) to adjust to any bad matchup or botched level ones. We've seen extremely diverse starting spell choices from Ori's depending on her matchup. 2. She can fulfill several roles. One second she's a nuker, the next she's a utility carry, the next she's your teams initiator. All this from fairly simple abilities! I can do the same thing with {{champion:13}}: Q. OMG do massive damage every second W. Hmmm.... can't decide if I want to imprison someone or just do damage.... Why not both? E. LOL nice MR, I'll take it. (let's be honest, this also helps my Q go on cooldown earlier). R. Move fast, aoe damage on all your abilities, spell vamp? I mean, this spell alone has so many uses. All of Ryze's abilities are point and click, no skill shots required. However a good Ryze, knows which combo to use in which situation, plus his decievingly short range on Q, W cause you to stutter step and fuck up your range often. I can't count the amount of times I've missed hitting a crucial Q or W because I stutter-stepped while attempting to cast the spell. Ryze also has some REALLY crappy matchups who can straight up abuse you due to the limitations on your early game. I think there are two huge discriminators in determining a good Ryze from a "I just played the tutorial and this champion has all easy abilities" (Ryze was the first champion I ever played, and led me into his trap because he _seems_ so simple, WARNING: DO NOT RECOMMEND AS A STARTER CHAMP). Anyway: 1. Determining which order to cast your spells in is _extremely _ important. For instance, it's very tempting to open with W -> Q. A quick look at Ryze's passive says, "don't open with anything besides Q, always cast Q first". However, sometimes you're not going to be in range for a Q -> W -> Q combo, so you have to start W -> Q. What about the classic noob spotting combo. Q -> W -> E -> R -> Q. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people cast this combo. Yeah, I hit all my spells without aiming, YAY! But I completely underutilized one of Ryze's core mechanics, weaving Q between spells. Proper utilization of Ryze's passive leads to FAR more effective damage and utility output than spamming your crap the second the fight begins. 2. Ryze has too many build paths to list them out. Chances are, if an item has mana or ability power it might be useful to you. There are so many ways to build Ryze and understanding them is crucial to playing him well. Anyway, end rant. TL;DR: There are champs in this game that are easier to execute a combo with than some other champions. This does not make them any easier to play.
> [{quoted}](name=Narcmage,realm=NA,application-id=3ErqAdtq,discussion-id=4KiI4FsE,comment-id=001a0000,timestamp=2015-04-25T20:28:14.323+0000) > > TL;DR: There are champs in this game that are easier to execute a combo with than some other champions. This does not make them any easier to play. Sona is a champ that is Deceptive. She's very easy to play Q: Do damage to two champions or minions, but you can't choose the target. Give increased damage to ally in her bubble. W: Heal yourself and one other champion, but you can't choose the target. Shield anyone inside her bubble. E: Speed yourself up, speed up any ally inside her bubble. R: fat Line Nuke stun. Her R can engage, but it's too short to do it safely. Generally you have to either ambush with her R or wait till someone else engages and hit them with the R as soon as they go to run. Then to play to her passive it feels like you need to be Bach on speed, especially in teams fights. In team fights, after you blow her R, your spamming Q and W till your Keyboard puts up the white flag. Occasionally throwing out E when you need that burst of damage (which is all the time).
: Yo Diana players! We aren't done making Blood Moon skins! The reason that the above list of champions got Blood Moons skins is pretty simple: they were all up for new skins and in each individual champions skin ideation session the Blood Moon theme came up. :D Diana's last skin was in early 2014 so the time for her to get a new skin will be coming up again soonish (tm). I will say it again, Blood Moon is not off the table for her since her base skin is moon themed. Actually the Blood Moon theme leans more toward Kabuki in reference than to the Blood Moon itself. Additionally, if we were to ideate on skins for Diana what other {{champion:131}} skins would you guys like to see?
> [{quoted}](name=Riot Galetta,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=E8yrQbwh,comment-id=0012,timestamp=2015-04-24T21:19:30.966+0000) > > Yo Diana players! > > We aren't done making Blood Moon skins! The reason that the above list of champions got Blood Moons skins is pretty simple: they were all up for new skins and in each individual champions skin ideation session the Blood Moon theme came up. :D > > Diana's last skin was in early 2014 so the time for her to get a new skin will be coming up again soonish (tm). I will say it again, Blood Moon is not off the table for her since her base skin is moon themed. Actually the Blood Moon theme leans more toward Kabuki in reference than to the Blood Moon itself. > > Additionally, if we were to ideate on skins for Diana what other {{champion:131}} skins would you guys like to see? I'd like to see a Dragon hunter Diana or a Noxus Diana
: SRU Squirrel-thingies
do I need to click the link button?
UberAffe (NA)
: Apparently this is a little known fact about league
What is the hot keys for quick leveling a skill?
UberAffe (NA)
: Apparently this is a little known fact about league
you can also click your own portrait down in the bottom left corner to cast on yourself.
: SRU Squirrel-thingies
Those look like the fox-squirrels from Naussica http://cdn.myanimelist.net/images/characters/4/15071.jpg I really need to figure out how to add an image to a post without uploading an image.
: When 3 of your teammates start arguing a few seconds before a ranked game starts.
had that happen the other night. We hadn't even gotten into the game and I was already wanting to report the both of them for their language. I dodged so I didn't have to tolerate 30-45 mins of their filth.
: Poppy needs to keep either her passive or her ult, otherwise, she's not Poppy.
I love Poppy, but here is an assessment: Honestly there are better ways of handling every aspect of her kit. Poppy's passive could easily be turned into an active ability in her kit with a real indication that she is taking less damage. Because she's played so infrequently No one knows how to handle her ult. You ult one member of the enemy team and suddenly you are taking 4 ineffectual ults and one ult that means something. That doesn't make for good healthy game play. Her W and Q (which are also core to her identity) are boring! Her W gives glow effects and stacks for her passive, and a small speed burst. Her Q is a burst shot for her next basic attack. At the time they were really new and hard to deal with, but they are showing their age. Honestly it's okay to let the past go! Right now Poppy has a bit of an identity crisis. She wants to be a tank, but doesn't have a kit that can make her a great tank. She wants to be a fighter, but everything hinges on her autoattacks. She wants to a melee mage (thing), but doesn't have the mana to support that. She is meant to lane, but can't clear minions worth a damn. Honestly she is currently nerfed to being practically unplayable early game, to being nigh unkillable late game depending on how your early game went. She is absolutely dependent on building the most expensive item in the game, just to catch up with everyone else. Please please, can we let go of the past, let Poppy be reborn so I can play my favorite champ again?
Rioter Comments
: NA Server Roadmap: South Bridge update
whats the ETA on finishing phase 2?
: There are a number of interactions that Critical strike is creating that need their value explored first. **Personally**, I dislike Critical chance in league. At its worst, _which is randomly realized_, a single critical strike can define a game - especially on feast or famine characters - in either direction. Individual attacks have high meaning in League and having that action not be controlled when most of the rest of the game is feels a bit wrong. And to be further clear it's not the RNG element that's wrong here; it's the RNG element compounded by the reaction window afterwards. RNG that guides strategy and decision making but doesn't define individual events are amazing (Bard meeps <3). Short response window RNG is the icky one. ... However... Critical strike also does a lot of good things. To highlight these, I would like to call out and contrast some of the effects of Critical Strike to the most common suggestion in changing it: Flattening the output. (Flattening the output is where Critical Chance becomes a basic attack damage multiplier. 1% Crit -> 1% Basic attack damage amp). In the broadest of theory, assuming all actions are the same, just changing one for the other would (given that there's lots of games being played) would statistically be the same. However, that wouldn't actually be true. Not all actions would be the same. Here are some of the key differences (in no particular order): 1. Critical chance proposes a degree of possible threat that people **do** respond to. An ahead Marksman will be more reluctant to engage on a Marksman that's behind and has a bit of crit because of the chance of a crit still sits in the realms of possibility. This allows a behind Marksman to still project some control whereas if all damage was flattened this would be less true. 2. There is an interaction with critical strike that I will call "crit fishing". Crit fishing is where someone will poke the enemy and then hard engage if they see a critical strike. If they don't, they back off (with the enemy sustaining back up a bit). Even though what's being tried is luck (ish, thanks to pseudo-rng it will actually be guaranteed eventually), there's a skill and a mini-game wrapped around it on capitalizing on the event. This entire mini game doesn't occur with a flattened damage situation. 3. Thanks to pseudo-RNG, when there is a decent amount of crit (but not max) on a character in a full team fight where Marksman get to hang around for awhile then the fight will have a mix of crits and noncrits. In mid to late game, given the high damage outputs that Marksman have, this can be pretty defining. The marksman **will** crit someone into being into burst range, the question is "who and can it be acted on?" This is an element of unpredictability and interaction with other classes of characters (burst mages) that is very similar to point #1, but stretched even further and with a proper response window for teams to react and decide if and how they hold their engagement or disengage. This flowing and shifting long fight dynamic would be lost with the flattened version. 4. One of the hardest ones to capture: the _feeling_ of crit. When a crit occurs, for a lot of people it's fun. The number is larger, there's an awesome fiery icon next to the damage, the damage number moves differently, your champion does different things (animation and sometimes sound), and the enemy health bar takes a heavier chunk. Each of these aspects feed off of each other. There are an ensemble of elements executing this feeling and the shift itself between adagio to allegro is what matters. Having just one or the other can be quite boring for many. I'm sure there are more things crit is doing as well. These are just some major ones that have been partially understood. Now, what the value of each of these aspects are is much more difficult to define and emulating them all becomes rather complicated. Unlike, say, the dodge mechanism or the phage random slow mechanism of many days past, critical is also much more ubiquitous which makes trying to understand these values much more important. All of that said, it might turn out that the right answer is just flattening it - or any number of other ideas. The bad of Crit might just be straight up worse than all of these elements combined. However, I can't say with confidence that that's true. Tricky area. Would love to read more thoughts here on this.
> [{quoted}](name=Riot Reinboom,realm=NA,application-id=3ErqAdtq,discussion-id=qgP5fbUQ,comment-id=0051,timestamp=2015-04-16T11:42:30.383+0000) > > There are a number of interactions that Critical strike is creating that need their value explored first. > > **Personally**, I dislike Critical chance in league. At its worst, _which is randomly realized_, a single critical strike can define a game - especially on feast or famine characters - in either direction. Individual attacks have high meaning in League and having that action not be controlled when most of the rest of the game is feels a bit wrong. > And to be further clear it's not the RNG element that's wrong here; it's the RNG element compounded by the reaction window afterwards. RNG that guides strategy and decision making but doesn't define individual events are amazing (Bard meeps <3). Short response window RNG is the icky one. > > ... However... > Critical strike also does a lot of good things. > To highlight these, I would like to call out and contrast some of the effects of Critical Strike to the most common suggestion in changing it: Flattening the output. (Flattening the output is where Critical Chance becomes a basic attack damage multiplier. 1% Crit -> 1% Basic attack damage amp). > > In the broadest of theory, assuming all actions are the same, just changing one for the other would (given that there's lots of games being played) would statistically be the same. > However, that wouldn't actually be true. Not all actions would be the same. Here are some of the key differences (in no particular order): > > 1. Critical chance proposes a degree of possible threat that people **do** respond to. An ahead Marksman will be more reluctant to engage on a Marksman that's behind and has a bit of crit because of the chance of a crit still sits in the realms of possibility. This allows a behind Marksman to still project some control whereas if all damage was flattened this would be less true. > > 2. There is an interaction with critical strike that I will call "crit fishing". Crit fishing is where someone will poke the enemy and then hard engage if they see a critical strike. If they don't, they back off (with the enemy sustaining back up a bit). Even though what's being tried is luck (ish, thanks to pseudo-rng it will actually be guaranteed eventually), there's a skill and a mini-game wrapped around it on capitalizing on the event. This entire mini game doesn't occur with a flattened damage situation. > > 3. Thanks to pseudo-RNG, when there is a decent amount of crit (but not max) on a character in a full team fight where Marksman get to hang around for awhile then the fight will have a mix of crits and noncrits. In mid to late game, given the high damage outputs that Marksman have, this can be pretty defining. The marksman **will** crit someone into being into burst range, the question is "who and can it be acted on?" This is an element of unpredictability and interaction with other classes of characters (burst mages) that is very similar to point #1, but stretched even further and with a proper response window for teams to react and decide if and how they hold their engagement or disengage. This flowing and shifting long fight dynamic would be lost with the flattened version. > > 4. One of the hardest ones to capture: the _feeling_ of crit. When a crit occurs, for a lot of people it's fun. The number is larger, there's an awesome fiery icon next to the damage, the damage number moves differently, your champion does different things (animation and sometimes sound), and the enemy health bar takes a heavier chunk. Each of these aspects feed off of each other. There are an ensemble of elements executing this feeling and the shift itself between adagio to allegro is what matters. Having just one or the other can be quite boring for many. > > I'm sure there are more things crit is doing as well. These are just some major ones that have been partially understood. > > Now, what the value of each of these aspects are is much more difficult to define and emulating them all becomes rather complicated. > Unlike, say, the dodge mechanism or the phage random slow mechanism of many days past, critical is also much more ubiquitous which makes trying to understand these values much more important. > All of that said, it might turn out that the right answer is just flattening it - or any number of other ideas. The bad of Crit might just be straight up worse than all of these elements combined. However, I can't say with confidence that that's true. > Tricky area. Would love to read more thoughts here on this. Maybe instead of thinking of critical hits as damage, think of critical hits as extra effects? Sure damage can be an extra effect, or have a champion who creates aoe damage on critical. Perhaps Critical hits themselves can be spiced up and allow for different things.
: is orianna any good?
Orianna is a lot of fun to play. She's a bit mana hungry, but her Q/W play is pretty strong. Her ult really sets up team lockdowns.
Lost R (NA)
: Defeatism in the League
Just finished a game where a kalista was handing us our butts on a silver platter. We had a beautiful distraction. While our team held the attention of the enemy team, the ADC and I pushed down another lane. We died after taking 1 base turret, 1 inhib, 2 nexus turrets (actually between the two of us we had to tank the last nexus turret). I had just finished writing the sentence to inform the team about the exposed nexus when suddenly a surrender vote showed up. In game remember this handy phrase: Don't Panic.
Snoneper (NA)
: League of Legends
I choose to be nice every game. I don't mute, even the most toxic of players. I still need to see communications from the team, there might be a pivotal play that happens because of something they say (I've had a few games where a player got muted by several people, but I had to relay important information they were noticing). All games have bad or toxic players, that doesn't mean you have to be. Even when people have their chins dragging, I choose to keep a positive happy thought. I can't change the world or the way people play, but I can control how I play.
: @Riot, next champ when?
I know there was a tweet recently that one of the devs is working on a new champ. No idea what stage that champ is in.
Rioter Comments
: $50 Says Aatrox and Zyra will be both ends of the League alphabet until the end of time.
: Looks like she's being attacked my a jellyfish lol. Still not bad, a ton better than I could do.
> [{quoted}](name=Digivolve,realm=NA,application-id=2XjzURgc,discussion-id=EtF5yEiH,comment-id=0000,timestamp=2015-04-13T02:41:02.333+0000) > > Looks like she's being attacked by a jellyfish lol. I think it's cause of the splash on the electrical beam XD
Zmuecat (NA)
: There's something wrong with your picture... Horribly wrong. Poppy would never block Vel'Koz because she made herself invulnerable and is now wailing on him. Seriously, get better at understanding how this game works. ... On a serious note, for a doodle 9/10, better than anything I could do.
> [{quoted}](name=Zmuecat,realm=NA,application-id=2XjzURgc,discussion-id=EtF5yEiH,comment-id=0001,timestamp=2015-04-13T02:47:05.504+0000) > > There's something wrong with your picture... Horribly wrong. > > Poppy would never block Vel'Koz because she made herself invulnerable and is now wailing on him. Seriously, get better at understanding how this game works. > > ... > > On a serious note, for a doodle 9/10, better than anything I could do. I had the cage drawn, but it didn't look good, so I left it out.
Show more

Soleka

Level 31 (NA)
Lifetime Upvotes
Create a Discussion