Snowbrand (EUW)
: > [{quoted}](name=DuskDaUmbreon,realm=NA,application-id=RaE1aOE7,discussion-id=gExNAotM,comment-id=0000,timestamp=2019-07-20T15:43:46.795+0000) > > Spell damage affects all spells, even non-damaging ones, IIRC. This means his shield is boosted by it. > > I assume he's a sorcerer because...well, he's a sorcerer. There's not really any other way to put it than Kassadin is also a mage, and I guess Riot decided they had enough assassins at the time. It does? Source? So his shield gets stronger with AP? If that's true, then it would make sense, since his role is actually useful.
It does. Same with lulu shield and other spells that aren't damage. Heck it even increases the damage dealt by vaynes silver bolts.
: > [{quoted}](name=prsnbish,realm=NA,application-id=RaE1aOE7,discussion-id=I0p3hLAO,comment-id=00000000000000000000,timestamp=2019-07-20T18:27:11.096+0000) > > No. You're looking at it wrong. > > No one can win this game 100% of the time or even thereabouts. If they do, then they are following an exact and repeatable recipe to do it. This game is more about decision-making, so action components do not apply like they would in SR. > > So how do you keep people from winning 100% of the time? RNG. And how do you deal with RNG from there? Find elements that keep people in constant chaos at the top (items) while keeping open options and fluid movement at lower tiers of winrate (not giving everyone only one meta to follow, aka items). > > So if you're winning 75% of the time and struggling due to items at the top 25%, then you found the control for your winrate. And that's totally fine. It keeps YOU from being top dog always because 100% win or thereabouts is not an option. Anything that gives you more control to win more games at the top margin gives you and other people paying attention fool-proof strategies to win way more often at the bottom margin by playing into it. > > Giving you and everyone items at the start makes item scrambles and strategy the dominant force of winning; not limiting items on players in the early phase and/or throughout the entire match I should be losing because the opponent outplayed me with clever positioning and good usage of units, not sheer amounts of items.
You're thinking of the game as if you're supposed to be able be #1 every game if you're only slightly better than the others in the lobby, but you're not. That's why you get a victory screen for being one of the top and not just the #1 spot, and thats why you gain elo for being in 4th place rather than 5th. The game is about getting the most value out of what you are given compared to other players in both a single game and in the long term, you aren't supposed to be able to be the #1 player and honestly it's almost certainty not efficient to try and climb ranked that way since it requires taking dangerous risks to try for a mega powerful team that can crush every other one that leave you in 8th place as often if not even more often then going 1st.
: Tft is literally unenjoyable.
I'm enjoying it quite a lot and so are many others.
IcyWard (NA)
: Teamfight Tactics needs a new name...
Tactics is not the same as strategy. They are different words.
cars3n (NA)
: If one gold is worth one item...
These types of arguments are missing a lot of nuance and information. For example, Riot has stated on twitter that there is a rubber band effect where your chances of getting items increases later in the game if you got fewer items earlier. This is something easily noticeable since it's the cause of later camps like raptors popping like pinatas with items everywhere if you had few items early game. The gold you get early instead of items is intended to give you more options with champions early instead of options with items. It's just one lever in the design that allows the developers to limit the ability of players being able to walk into the match hearthstone style with a static plan they can execute all the time. ...because building the perfect plan before the game starts is strategy. Using experience, knowledge, awareness, and luck to adapt on the fly to the situation is more in line the the 'Tactics' part of TFT.
: I guess you arn't aware of how Veigar's spell work. It does in fact execute champs who are a rank below him. Notice that it wasn't listed in a tooltip and although i thank you for uncritical bias I think i'll wait for a patch or a red post response as sufficient.
> [{quoted}](name=FerdNutty,realm=NA,application-id=RaE1aOE7,discussion-id=TfsGktyl,comment-id=00010000,timestamp=2019-07-09T14:16:02.748+0000) > > I guess you arn't aware of how Veigar's spell work. It does in fact execute champs who are a rank below him. Notice that it wasn't listed in a tooltip and although i thank you for uncritical bias I think i'll wait for a patch or a red post response as sufficient. When veigars ult oneshots a lower tier it shows something like 15-20 thousand damage. It's very obvious when it happens. I'm also pretty sure it is actually listed in the tooltip.
up gamer (NA)
: TFT: Selling champs during the carousel
You can already do this by going to your board using the minimap and selling with the E button.
: > [{quoted}](name=Busty Demoness,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=Ag9khorT,comment-id=000100000000000000000000,timestamp=2019-06-24T17:42:23.620+0000) > > So I'm really not expecting anything useful out of you when it comes to the discussion of whether or not breaking the summoner's code in such a blatantly dickish manner deserves an escalation. If riot doesn't ban people for saying it, then considering riot knows it happens that means riot doesn't think it is ban-worthy.
> [{quoted}](name=Linna Excel,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=Ag9khorT,comment-id=0001000000000000000000000000,timestamp=2019-06-24T18:17:28.291+0000) > > If riot doesn't ban people for saying it, then considering riot knows it happens that means riot doesn't think it is ban-worthy. They do. It just takes a long time of them saying it.
: A well-constructed post
I'm bored after 3000 hours of league so it must be that the game is bad now. It was funner back when I hadn't already spend 3000 hours playing it. Clearly the game was objectively funner back then rather than it being my own perspective that's been warped by overexposure.
: i really just want the old league back
It's just you. You have always been able to just play what you want to play and do fine up until high elo where everything starts being played at a high enough degree of consistent proficiency that a few percent of effectiveness here and there starts to add up. For example, Kayle is and has always been very strong (sometimes tom the point of ridiculousness). She's strong on every map, is extremely hard to shut down in lane due to her cheap and effective ranged aoe waveclear plus variety of safety options and she scales extremely hard. Even if she falls behind she can press her ult at the right time on a fed ally to almost solo win the fight or the game. Even when she's 'weak' shes at a +50% winrate at all times, and when she's strong she's obscene since there's no escaping her or catching her. She's not meta unless she gets past her normal strength which is 'only' 54% or so in my experience, and this is mostly because people find her boring. She's a go to fallback of mine in all metas when I just feel like playing some relaxing games that I'm likely to win, but even I have a hard time enjoying spamming games with her. Some metas will favor your playstyle and some will not. That's just the way it goes. The actual real impact on your effectiveness is not likely to be large unless you put all your cards in on one tricking some gimicky and unhealthy champion like old eve or sion or poppy which were obviously bound to get a total overhaul. Rose colored glasses, nostalgia, forgetting that back in the day you had so much more to learn and everything felt so much more new and exciting, etc. You're just becoming a more veteran player, the game hasn't become bad. Personally I'm always enjoying the changes League goes through in the middle and long run even if I occasionally feel like I have to roll my eyes and suffer through temporary frustrations until they get inevitably worked out (and they always do). Game is fine, you're fine.
: Epic Games is probably a more valuable subsidiary than Riot Games now
Lol. Fortnite has no market penetration in the east because it's design and marketing are too western influenced and has only been around for a hot minute, unlike League which has been paying the bills for a decade. Even if the theoretical situation you are describing happened, League would still be the more valuable representative to talk to if the amount of money brought in is at all comparable since in addition to money League has far more cultural significance compared to Fortnite and has also been proven to be a stable investment.
Vilacom (NA)
: The League Diet and Workout Program
It's actually pretty healthy to get up and do some exercise in between each game if you're going to be playing many in a row. It can help reset your mentality and take the edge off of your frustrations to avoid tilting too. However, If you have OP's attitude you should probably just take a long break from the game entirely though tbh. Next step I see in his future at this point is just leaving in the middle of a game when he gets a bit of backtalk or advice after a play gone bad, and that's not good for anyone.
Rokkitt (NA)
: > [{quoted}](name=PUBG Sword Saint,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=8FcpY1JK,comment-id=0000,timestamp=2018-11-25T05:13:29.792+0000) > > It's not a rip off, it's just a skin. It's even heavily discounted if you already own the standard version. If you like it then buy it, if you aren't interested then don't. Since they are so similar to the original skins then they are clearly the same value as those originals so if you don't own the originals and choose to buy the pajama version then that's the same cost as buying the original one. I see what you're trying to say but my point is that they hardly put any work into making these skins. All other skins they've made that cost 1350 rp had different sound & particle effects then the skins, no 2 were ever the same. They were lazy & just slapped a skin on another skins sounds & particle effects, & even the skin of the weapons weren't changed. That's like if Rusty Blitzcrank was being sold for 1350 rp!!!
First, I highly doubt thats how that works since they would need to create new models for the clothing and animate them to fit the previous rig even if they reused then old star guardian assets for that. Second it literally doesn't matter if they just recolored it and released it since it's not a chroma, it's it's own skin. That means you don't have to own the original skin to buy this one which makes it cost less than it would cost to buy the original and then buy a chroma for the original. No matter how you look at it this is a good value proposition for players. For fucks sake, even if they reused assets to save time that means they have more time and resources to put towards other skins - including for visual updates of champions since that requires that all old skins for a champion be remade to bring them in line with the new look. It really feels like your argument comes down to 'I don't think it's good that Riot was able to think of a way to get a higher profit margin out of making a skin without charging the players extra'. Because thats what happened. Players aren't being charged extra for anything. If you never bought the originals, these are the same value as those and just offer you a different option of equal value. If you did buy the originals and are interested in these variants, they are discounted by half. What does Riot have to do to please you in this situation? Not making the skins at all seems to be what you're going for despite the fact that other players seem to like them and are happy to have them.
: Change is NOT always good, and as the outcry on the boards can tell you, the game is f*cked
Constant whining that change is bad literally every preseason since at least back as far as season 2 when I started playing. Meaningless metric. By the way there are plenty of players like me who look forward to every new shake up of the game and find it refreshing. Whenever I've put in a long grind on ranked and gotten too much of a firm idea of how the meta is playing out, I get antsy for the next big thing to come and shake things up so that things can be different. Personally I get a lot of my fun out of the laning phase and without new things coming along to shift the meta around things get pretty stale. It's especially bad when the meta is solidifying around things that I personally don't enjoy like tanks being able to afk win lane by existing and then dominate teamfights, or botlane swapping to 2v1 the top lanes constantly. Shaking things up not only tends to knock loose those outlier obnoxious metas that tend to be propped up by one specific mechanic (like crazy first tower gold encouraging lane swaps) but also provides an outlet for expression of mastery and skill since players who are able to anticipate how the changes will impact the game and then apply them better and faster will have a distinct advantage for a short while until everyone else catches up. I like when it becomes suddenly possible for a previously losing lane matchup to get turned on its head because the guy playing the losing champion has a better read on the newly shifted state of the game and uses that knowledge to come out with an unexpected play or build that wins him the lane and potentially the game. I'll take that any day over all laning matchups being set in stone for months and years on end without any new options being added or taken away to keep people on their toes.
: Riot Game Developers are Sexist, Made Hateful Comments, Only Care About Popular Champs, and More
Because most players don't agree with your statements, don't care even if they believe, or don't see the things you are complaining about as a serious problem. Like me.
: You and your chat bans can suck it.
Riot's stance is that if you don't like their rules, then leave.
zoliking (NA)
: > [{quoted}](name=PUBG Sword Saint,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=rGVEZJI9,comment-id=000000000000,timestamp=2018-11-25T05:07:44.272+0000) > > Doesn't mean we can't daydream about 'what if things were used as intended?' though. At the end of the day, the productive thing to do is to say 'this design needs to be adjusted' and try to come up with an implementation that's more intuitive or otherwise incentivizes people to use them as designed. I agree with that fully, it's just very meaningless without the second part. Saying, "it should be like this because that's how it was intended" is kinda pointless. "It should be like this" type ideas are meaningful on their own if the "this" in them is something new, not the original intent as understood by pretty much everybody already. > In these cases, the voting system could do with some design work to better serve its original purpose and the honor voting system could use some design work to take into account that players either want to have some way of pointing out an MVP that they are using the honor system as a stand in for or otherwise maybe they just don't feel like putting in the mental effort to pick someone to correctly honor and fall back on picking a 'carry' as a lazy fill in. Honestly, I can't imagine a practical way of changing how people use up and down votes. Frankly, while I have some problems with how some people use it, this is still better than strictly voing based on effort. Some people put a lot of effort into putting out really stupid ideas, I wouldn't like to see massive upvotage on those threads, for example.
Well it's not a problem unique to these boards. I'm sure someone at some point will make a breakthrough on that front. It could even be you or me. Probably not today though.
TyGuR (NA)
: Question to riot
A lot of people whine about costless, energy, rage, etc. champions because they have the whole resource management design pattern backwards in their heads. The type of resource a champion uses (mana, energy, cooldowns only) is based on how often the champion is supposed to be able to use their spells in a certain time frame. How often a champion is supposed to be able to use their spells is related to how much impact those spells have (short range single target damage spells tend to be cheap and spammable, long range aoe damage spells with cc added tend to be very expensive and on a long cooldown), how much it costs champions in other ways to use them (for example, zed using his shadow to farm from range removes his escape and makes it easier for him to get gasnked or all inned), and how the whole kit overall is supposed to work (squishy melee damage dealer champions like riven and fiora would not be able to function at all if they didn't have cheap and spammable mobility to reposition with). A champion like lux has huge cooldowns and mana costs because without the need to invest in mana and regularly go back to base in the laning phase she would just poke every other champion down safely while waveclearing fast and sitting under her tower. Those restrictions imposed by mana and cooldowns largely go away for her by the mid-late game. Meanwhile even though champions like lux are starting to hit a point at that time where they can spam their full rotation of abilities rapidely and many times in a row without pause, energy champions like kennen, and akali are still operating on the same ability casting budget they were working with early game, so their ability to last in an extended fight is significantly shorter than a mana based champion would be (though they would have a bit of a cheeky poke advantage in a standoff since they could poke a bit for free, but the range is so tiny and the effect so minimal it would only put them in a position to be initiated on). TLDR: there's no real reason not to have another energy champion, but that champion would have to require energy to make the intended ability rotation pattern work in order for energy to be chosen as the resource.
Rokkitt (NA)
: Pajama Party Skins: It's our own fault
It's not a rip off, it's just a skin. It's even heavily discounted if you already own the standard version. If you like it then buy it, if you aren't interested then don't. Since they are so similar to the original skins then they are clearly the same value as those originals so if you don't own the originals and choose to buy the pajama version then that's the same cost as buying the original one.
: Little annoyed about this Low priority queue
It's not about disciplining you to teach you a lesson, it's to keep the queue times low for the playerbase as a whole. The fact that the timer annoys you is the point. The threat of the timer serves a role in making people less likely to dodge a queue or even to queue up if they think they may be interrupted. It's not a big ask given that you're going to have to commit to a half an hour plus of uninterrupted gameplay anyway.
zoliking (NA)
: > [{quoted}](name=PUBG Sword Saint,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=rGVEZJI9,comment-id=0000,timestamp=2018-11-25T04:47:50.238+0000) > > Upvotes are supposed to be for high effort content and thoughtful posts that add something to a discussion. Downvotes are supposed to be for low effort shitposting that annoys everyone, straight up trolling, flaming and flame bait, irrelevant things that derail a topic, etc. > > In a world where people actually had the restraint and respect for each other to consistently use these properly all posts that were contstuctive and respectful would have large number of upvotes and be on the top even if the posted idea is unpopular (such as a 'riven/yasuo/zed/etc. needs buffs' thread) and shitty low effort garbage ('fire all balance team') would be buried. > > Unfortunately instead most people just reflexively upvote posts they agree with and downvote posts they disagree with because want they want isn't for higher quality posts to raise to the top, what they want is for opinions that disagree with to be pushed down and out of their sight. Upvotes and downvotes mean what they mean based on what people use them for, the intent behind their implementation is wholely irrelevant. This is the same reason it's stupid that there is no honor in the game for playing well/carrying. That's what most honors go out for and "being tilt-proof" or "fun to play with" are less important factors for many people. So the lack of a carry honor just corrupts the rest by having people use those for that instead of what they were intended for. You can argue whether this is right or wrong, but it's how things work. If we'd have a massive war today that would destroy everything and one of our caveman descendants found an old, rusted up M-16 rifle, that rifle would become a club at that point. It wouldn't matter that it wasn't built with that idea in mind.
Doesn't mean we can't daydream about 'what if things were used as intended?' though. At the end of the day, the productive thing to do is to say 'this design needs to be adjusted' and try to come up with an implementation that's more intuitive or otherwise incentivizes people to use them as designed. In these cases, the voting system could do with some design work to better serve its original purpose and the honor voting system could use some design work to take into account that players either want to have some way of pointing out an MVP that they are using the honor system as a stand in for or otherwise maybe they just don't feel like putting in the mental effort to pick someone to correctly honor and fall back on picking a 'carry' as a lazy fill in.
: > [{quoted}](name=Shazzbot69,realm=EUNE,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=Hb8pw8kn,comment-id=0000,timestamp=2018-11-24T19:48:43.800+0000) > > It is not always healthy to balance pruely based on the playerbase. The player base sometimes would rather complain than get good. it's less about that and is more about basic psychology. as in, people don't know what they want.
> [{quoted}](name=DM For Rat Facts,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=Hb8pw8kn,comment-id=00000000,timestamp=2018-11-24T20:26:23.094+0000) > > it's less about that and is more about basic psychology. as in, people don't know what they want. Adding to that, even players who know what they want aren't likely able to accurately and clearly communicate what they want and why they want it in a way that someone else can take that information and act on it. They often aren't even really sure about the nature of the thing that bothers them when it comes down to it and may point to something slightly related to their frustration as the problem since that's at least something tangible they can talk about. As an example that I've encountered before in other games: a player may complain that a game has gotten boring and needs new content to freshen it up, but what may actually be the case is that the game doesn't have enough progression systems in place so the player doesn't feel like their time 'invested' is going anywhere. They may actually be very happy to have a rank system added to a game that doesn't have one or some other way to turn their time and effort into something satisfying, but since they don't know what they don't know they will if asked just say 'its boring and we need new content'.
Artican (NA)
: Riot Should Learn From Epic Games
The extremely small number of players who post on the internet all combined don't amount to a fraction of a percent of the playerbase. Even if you and everyone you know agree on something, that doesn't mean the rest of the players do. Riot has to go based off of their instincts, experience, and the data they can pull from analytics when trying to determine what would best serve the playerbase as a whole.
Madjack01 (EUW)
: I played Lol when it just released. I severely dislike that...
Upvotes are supposed to be for high effort content and thoughtful posts that add something to a discussion. Downvotes are supposed to be for low effort shitposting that annoys everyone, straight up trolling, flaming and flame bait, irrelevant things that derail a topic, etc. In a world where people actually had the restraint and respect for each other to consistently use these properly all posts that were constructive and respectful would have large number of upvotes and be on the top even if the posted idea is unpopular (such as a 'riven/yasuo/zed/etc. needs buffs' thread) and shitty low effort garbage ('fire all balance team') would be buried. Unfortunately instead most people just reflexively upvote posts they agree with and downvote posts they disagree with because want they want isn't for higher quality posts to raise to the top, what they want is for opinions that disagree with to be pushed down and out of their sight. Fortunately again, we have the gameplay+ boards where downvotes are disabled and all threads and posts are subject to stricter standards and may undergo review before even being allowed to be posted. On that board you only raise to the top by getting upvotes since you can't downvote dissenting opinions. So thats a nice change of pace.
: > [{quoted}](name=PUBG Sword Saint,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=mJp5RPxq,comment-id=0005,timestamp=2018-11-24T10:40:10.488+0000) > > You don't have to be having fun to be playing a video game. Horror games exist, as do porn games, as do teaching games, etc. > > Additionally, though people like to meme about it and say 'only physical activities are sports' (ignoring things like chess which have been recognized as sports for a long time), league IS a sport - an esport. The high level of competition, emphasis on improving your skills, intense focus on winning and climbing the ranked ladder, pro teams, etc. all point towards this being the case. When you are playing a game not to unwind and destress but rather to improve yourself and to impress your peers, you are leaning heavily into sport territory. > > If you aren't enjoying league anymore thats fine, the door is over there and you're welcome to come back anytime. That's all it means though, your personal lack of engagement at this point doesn't mean there's anything wrong with league or that it isn't a game or whatever. There's no need to try and make this about something bigger than you personally getting bored or burnt out. so basically: you agree with me, Lol isn't fun. so why are you arguing? like I really don't get some of the answers I am getting on this thread. it's like you aren't trying to understand what I am saying but rather look at it through your own perspective. I never said there weren't other games (if you only play league it's your thing, i personally don't). i never denied league as being a sport. but it's not PREDOMINANTLY a sport. it's supposedly a video game first. also sports are fun. at the end of the day, they are fulfilling. LoL isn't. also let's agree on you not trying to guess what i am thinking (no need to try and make this about something bigger than you personally getting bored or burnt out.) and i won't try to guess what you are thinking. Finally I believe that I am entiteled to my opinion on this board. if you don't agree with it that's fine. but don't dismiss it. that's disrespectful dude
You put words in my mouth too friend. I didn't say league wasn't fun. I find it fun, tons of people do. You came in here first trying to say that since you are no longer having fun, that means league isn't a game anymore. Which is wrong for many reasons, and it's why you are getting the responses you are getting. Sure, I'm not you. I can't read your mind and say for sure that your problems are because you are bored. You aren't anyone else. You don't get to speak for the rest of us and say that the game isn't fun. You don't get to do that because you aren't us. The game thing you don't get to decide because its factually incorrect.
: > [{quoted}](name=ÈvilMorty,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=zlobN17b,comment-id=0005,timestamp=2018-11-23T06:01:25.184+0000) > > Sion is not a problem in comparison. He has damage because he is literally the most telegraphed champion in the game. Hell riot even nerffed his e and made his E skill shot skinnier while {{champion:39}} stun seems to hit you when your out of its line. His Q takes 2.25 seconds to charge, with mobility and movement speed buffs everywhere, how can you not dodge this? Or even cc him for that matter while hes LITERALLY (while charging his q) a sitting duck? Yes he gets damage when he cancels his q early but then take away that and he's left with no reliable damage. You cant argue about his ult either, it does a shit ton of damage yes but because its hard to turn and land especially against mobile champs. Kled gets a better sion ult that not only attaches to champions near the target spot but gives movement speed to his team, gives him a big ass shield and goes around walls. Nunu gets a better sion ult as a basic ability because its so god dam easy to turn in comparison. > > If a sion player is able to hit you with his entire telegraphed kit and kill you, the sion player earned that kill fair and square. really ? that's now how I die to Sion usually , He usually misses Ult , hits only a small part of Q , misses E , still kills me with his W passive and some autos while being the tankiest thing in the game lol
> [{quoted}](name=Noor Sakata,realm=EUW,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=zlobN17b,comment-id=00050000,timestamp=2018-11-24T10:18:17.563+0000) > > really ? that's now how I die to Sion usually , He usually misses Ult , hits only a small part of Q , misses E , still kills me with his W passive and some autos while being the tankiest thing in the game lol Problem with sion isn't his laning which is pretty bad against a lot of top champs, it's that no matter what he can just decide to build tanky and int into your towers with his ult and passive + rune to just burst down towers over and over even if you babysit them since he's unstoppable until he hits the tower and it does aoe cc when he hits buying him some more time. Hopefully these new season changes make that strat stop being viable because it was a pain in the ass at the end of last season.
: League of legends is not a video game anymore
You don't have to be having fun to be playing a video game. Horror games exist, as do porn games, as do teaching games, etc. Additionally, though people like to meme about it and say 'only physical activities are sports' (ignoring things like chess which have been recognized as sports for a long time), league IS a sport - an esport. The high level of competition, emphasis on improving your skills, intense focus on winning and climbing the ranked ladder, pro teams, etc. all point towards this being the case. When you are playing a game not to unwind and destress but rather to improve yourself and to impress your peers, you are leaning heavily into sport territory. If you aren't enjoying league anymore thats fine, the door is over there and you're welcome to come back anytime. That's all it means though, your personal lack of engagement at this point doesn't mean there's anything wrong with league or that it isn't a game or whatever. There's no need to try and make this about something bigger than you personally getting bored or burnt out.
: why are skillshots called "skillshots"
It's because unlike point and click abilities where the only thing that determines whether you hit the target is your ability to click on them, with 'skillshots' the other player has the ability to dodge your ability before you fire it or even on reaction. You can of course anticipate that they are going to dodge and where they may dodge to as well as fake them out with your own movements to make them dodge prematurely or otherwise play mindgames. In the end a player who is more skilled at aiming their abilities than their opponent is at dodging them in that moment is able to land their abilities consistently, and a player who is more skilled at dodging their opponent than the opponent is at landing the skillshot on them will be able to avoid those abilities more consistently. You aren't firing skillshots at a target dummy. It's a skill test interaction. That's why they are called skillshots. Unlike targeted abilities which always hit, landing a skillshot is a combination of mouse coordination, mind games, timing, and psychological profiling.
øHaruø (NA)
: Just because some people can't articulate themselves well does not mean they do not have a point. Bottom line they're customers, just because we seem like angry villagers, who spat gibberish, doesn't mean we don't know what we're talking about. And trust me, if 100000 people are angry, despite how well they speak, a company would listen.
If every single league player who ever posted about the game online anywhere, including reddit, boards, etc, were combined they would not be a statistically significant portion of players from which to gather any useful data or information. That's just reality.
Rioter Comments
Audhulma (NA)
: > [{quoted}](name=PUBG Sword Saint,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=g7K8Nmvj,comment-id=0000000000000000,timestamp=2018-11-18T21:38:40.855+0000) > > For sure it should, and most likely is, always be a priority to improve matchmaking. However the phrase 'subpar' is misleading since it seems to imply that theres some industry standard that league isn't failing to live up to, when in reality league is on the cutting edge of the problem space. I used subpar because I'm working on my language a little bit, I have three nieces and two are old enough to parrot whatever I say. Otherwise I'd have straight up called it dogshit. The main reason I don't like the way Riot handles their match maker is that they don't even like to acknowledge that it needs work, and it doesn't seem to have improved much in any noticeable way -if at all- since they changed over to the current rank system all those years ago. Put both of those together and it seems like they aren't even trying, like they're OK with whatever as long as it _sort of_ works.
They have been continuously making changes to the matchmaking system over the years. Under the hood tweaks aside, the recent addition of the new champ select that gives the player more agency to choose which lane they want to play is one example. Granted it's probably not one you approve of since the decision was to take a hit in matchmaking speed and mmr spread in order to fit in the lane selection aspect of it (every additional factor you have to take into account when matchmaking will require you to take a hit in quality amoung other factors such as time to match and mmr spread). Generally speaking I believe more people prefer to have their lanes they want a higher faction of the time and have to deal with less precise mmr spread, but its understandable if that's not the case for you. I believe currently if you choose to fill the system puts those performance gains into matching you faster but maybe it would be nice in the future if you could choose to wait longer instead and go for a more precise mmr spread. In any case for the purpose of the ranked ladder in general, players in games don't really need to be super tightly similar in mmr for the system to work fairly. When you enter a match a calculation is made based on the average mmr of both teams to determine which team is 'expected to win' (ie: which teams average mmr is high and by how much) and that expectation is factored into mmr and lp gains and losses at the end. Beat a 'better' team and you'll gain more than in a perfectly balanced match, lose and you'll less less. Sure it would be ideal if the mmr and rank spreads would always be perfect but it may take 10-30 minutes for matches to be made to get that precise, even at populated elos.
Audhulma (NA)
: > [{quoted}](name=PUBG Sword Saint,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=g7K8Nmvj,comment-id=00000000,timestamp=2018-11-18T20:23:28.367+0000) > > Literally the best matchmaking in the world that most competitive team based games aspire to, but ok. It's a difficult problem to solve but it's not like anyone else is doing it better. Other people not currently doing it better isn't an excuse to sweep the issue under the rug and bury their heads in the sand.
> [{quoted}](name=Audhulma,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=g7K8Nmvj,comment-id=000000000000,timestamp=2018-11-18T21:10:00.885+0000) > > Other people not currently doing it better isn't an excuse to sweep the issue under the rug and bury their heads in the sand. For sure it should, and most likely is, always be a priority to improve matchmaking. However the phrase 'subpar' is misleading since it seems to imply that theres some industry standard that league isn't failing to live up to, when in reality league is on the cutting edge of the problem space. Every time I myself feel frustrated a bit by leagues matchmaking and I play a different game, it astounds me just how bad the matchmaking always is compared to leagues. I get pissy that in my game there are people who are off by a handful of divisions, when in other games I swear it feels like they just match you with anyone who is online no matter what your rank is.
: Is it still worth to play ranked?
You can still practice with the new seasons meta and if you raise your mmr in the preseason it will help you place and climb faster when the actual season begins.
: > [{quoted}](name=PUBG Sword Saint,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=zgj7fsUO,comment-id=00000000000000000000,timestamp=2018-11-18T20:14:25.279+0000) > > It's literally about to be preseason tomorrow, complete with huge meta and mechanics changes to game pacing. They are changing the start to be slower but the end to be faster, i dont think that will fix anything. Ill try out 10 or 20 games see if i like the changes but if i dont then im gonna be done for good i thinkj. If they are trying to fix the stomp then good but if its the same or worse then it just means they dont understand what makes a game fun.
A slower start runs directly against the idea of 'one sided stomps' that you've been complaining about. If it takes longer for a team to build a real advantage that they can start snowballing off of, then by definition the 'stompiness' has been reduced as each team has more of a chance to stay in the game until decisive fights start happening - and then rather than the losing team turtling in the base for 15 more minutes they are more likely to be swifty defeated. These changes exactly address the things you say bothered you. Just because they add a bit here and removed some there doesn't mean the net change is zero.
Audhulma (NA)
: Nope. Then Riot would have to talk about how they have been too stubborn to even accept that their matchmaker has been subpar for years.
> [{quoted}](name=Audhulma,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=g7K8Nmvj,comment-id=0000,timestamp=2018-11-18T18:10:22.432+0000) > > Nope. Then Riot would have to talk about how they have been too stubborn to even accept that their matchmaker has been subpar for years. Literally the best matchmaking in the world that most competitive team based games aspire to, but ok. It's a difficult problem to solve but it's not like anyone else is doing it better.
: If you think an anime about a savant pianist boy and a cancer girl is sad.
: League should offer reformation.
The reformation you talked about doesn't happen if players don't actual face real punishment - the real punishment of losing your account forever. Without that real threat hanging over them, people who break the rules and act like jerks all the time will just say 'worth' and take a temporary vacation from the game whenever their punishments catch up to them because without permanent bans they can always decide to ruin someone elses day on a whim without a worry about true lasting consequences.
: > [{quoted}](name=HeyItzSteve,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=zgj7fsUO,comment-id=000000000000,timestamp=2018-11-17T07:57:24.633+0000) > > There are multiple ways you can interpret the word "deal". You can "deal" with them by ignoring/muting them, or you can "deal" with it by not playing the game. > > League of Legends is a special game where team play really matters and it leads to a very competitive setting. When I speak of "any game", I'm really pointing to the games that are stupid competitive (i.e. Overwatch, DOTA 2, CS:GO, etc.), sorry for not being clear. > When a game has this type of competitive setting, there will always be a group (could be a large or a small group) that will be toxic. Trust me, I constantly experience this and I **hate** it, but it's something that really can't be controlled. I am not asking for a way to ban them. I am saying there is nothing that compensates you for your time. There is nothing that even discourages this. Short of running it down mid you will not get banned. But there are TONS of ways to troll. Also the problem is ignoring them doesn't work they are actively making you have less fun. Riot has gone out of it's way to do NOTHING about it. But when people get mad about it they sure do something about that. They also have not and are still not fixing the fact that the game is a one sided stomp EVERY game.
> [{quoted}](name=CandiceuL,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=zgj7fsUO,comment-id=0000000000000000,timestamp=2018-11-17T16:15:07.048+0000) > > I am not asking for a way to ban them. I am saying there is nothing that compensates you for your time. There is nothing that even discourages this. Short of running it down mid you will not get banned. But there are TONS of ways to troll. > > Also the problem is ignoring them doesn't work they are actively making you have less fun. Riot has gone out of it's way to do NOTHING about it. But when people get mad about it they sure do something about that. > > They also have not and are still not fixing the fact that the game is a one sided stomp EVERY game. It's literally about to be preseason tomorrow, complete with huge meta and mechanics changes to game pacing.
: Can I got banned from people who report for no reason?
Not unless you actually did something that would get you punished that noone else noticed and coincidentally got reported for no reason in the same game.
Pegasuse (NA)
: Future Riot Employee
Wall of text based on personal professional experience incoming. Learn a skill such as programming, art, or business management. Get good grades and go to a decent university to get a degree in that field. While you are in school also be working on side projects in that field in order to increase your skill level and build up a portfolio outside of just classwork. Join your schools game development club if there is one and either way participate in game jams as much as you can. Use game jams to practice, build portfolio, and network. Often at least a couple of local pro game developers will attend any decently sized game jam as participants and/or judges and so every one you participate in is a new chance to try and impress them. Even if there are no local game jams in your area there are a few regularly scheduled worldwide game james such as the Global Game Jam and Ludum Dare, plus a never ending assortment of smaller jams, all of which can be participated in online. Leverage your game industry contacts (that you hopefully made through game jams or elsewhere) into an internship or entry level position in a local game studio. That's one solid way of getting into the games industry. To take it a step further and go for Riot specifically just keep an eye on open positions and apply when you see ones that you are qualified for. It may help to try and make friends with developers who currently or previously worked at Riot so you can become aware of potential openings before they are actually posted. Note that you cannot and should not expect your rioter friends to help you actually get hired, that's unreasonable and unrealistic - just to keep an eye out and update you if they see anything available is a huge favor to be grateful of. Keep applying for positions you are qualified for until you get an interview. That's as far as general advice can go for you. Riot is one of the top gaming studios in the world and their recruitment process is very intense and competitive. Don't be discouraged from working in the industry in general if you get to the interview stage and don't get in on your first try, just ask for feedback on what you could have done better and take it to heart if you believe it makes sense and you still want to work there. Work on your weak points (maybe your portfolio didn't have something they were looking for or was too focused on something they aren't interested in for example) and start applying again after a year or so when you've had time to make a serious attempt to make those requested adjustments. You may find out that you are not a 'culture fit' at Riot or any other company, in which case it's best to just move on. Every workplace has it's own culture and if you don't fit you don't fit. As a litmus test for this, look at the articles describing the recent complaints about riots 'bro culture'. If every other sentence makes your eye roll, then congrats you may be a culture fit for riot (this isn't automatically a bad thing just because it gets flak in the media). You'll be happier at a different studio where you do fit the culture than trying to force yourself into somewhere you don't match and try and change hundreds of people to match your own way of thinking. In any event, Riot's been around for a decade or so now, so it will likely still be around by the time you are ready to start applying. If you work hard you are almost guaranteed to at least get one chance to interview. Good luck!
: Why does "AFK/Leaving game" option exist if there are no bans for this?
It's to cover cases where someone rage quits maliciously so there's an extra negative mark on their account beyond the leaverbuster, plus sometimes people figure out new ways to try and avoid getting caught by the afk system such as the guy that discovered that at the time you were never counted as afk while you are 'in combat' so he set up a heimer turret in the jungle somewhere it would keep aggroing and resetting a monster without killing it so he could afk bot games.
: I wonder how long people will take to understand that int Sion can literally be done by every other champion as well. The only reason it's slightly better on Sion is due to his passive.
> [{quoted}](name=Shuriman God,realm=EUW,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=noMzLm56,comment-id=0003,timestamp=2018-11-16T15:27:37.285+0000) > > I wonder how long people will take to understand that int Sion can literally be done by every other champion as well. The only reason it's slightly better on Sion is due to his passive. Doesn't his ult also damage the turret when it hits? So he charges in from halfway across the map while unstoppable, bursts the turret, smacks it with at least one rune proc to burst it some more, dies, and then wacks it some more with his passive - all while being a full tank so it takes multiple people wailing on him even with no minions to kill him. Granted if you send your adc to babysit sidelanes they can just farm sion for gold, but its not going to be a lot since sion doesn't have a bounty due to just wanting to int for towers and not caring about dying a lot. It's not a strategy that should be supported and it's being nerfed in a few ways for good reason (for example next season you'll get a bounty just from farming, so sion won't be able to do this and get actually tanky enough to deal real damage unless he farms minions and becomes worth gold to kill).
: I just wanna farm
That's normal tbh. A champ like pantheon is very strong in lane but doesn't scale well compared to most champions so his best hope at winning is to keep poking and fighting and hope he can get ahead that way since with equal cs and levels by the middle of the game he's already starting to become useless.
Arrcanos (NA)
: > [{quoted}](name=Oleandervine,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=nmdUPvKw,comment-id=,timestamp=2018-11-14T17:02:36.689+0000) > > I mean, you're giving people who broke the rules and got the lightest possible punishment a second chance to get ranked rewards, despite knowing since the season's start that getting punished forfeited your ranked rewards if you didn't get to Honor 2. So since I ended in Silver, which is just before Gold, and I never violated your rules or got punished, I should be given a second chance to earn ranked rewards. It's only fair - why should rule breakers be given 2 extra months of forgiveness when you're not extending that opportunity to the community as a whole? Considering that you can get chat bans for asking people to ward, stop AFKing, stop feeding, or any other reasonable request, Honor is worthless anyways. Hell, you can get reported and chat banned for encouraging your team.
Don't shit talk your teammates or be pushy to them. There's a big difference between a reasonable request like 'hey guys our top is winning and we want to push that advantage so you might want to player safer down bot for a while since you're behind and probably going to get ganked' and a 'reasonable request' like 'stop feeding noobs'. If you can't communicate with people without needing to sneak in some blame or smack talk in everything you say, don't say anything because noone wants to hear it and you'll end up getting punished eventually.
: > [{quoted}](name=PUBG Sword Saint,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=nmdUPvKw,comment-id=0011,timestamp=2018-11-14T21:51:26.318+0000) > > The basis of your argument is flawed. You don't get 'rank rewards' by hitting gold. You get rank rewards by playing ranked at all. That is the only requirement. The level of rewards you get at the end of the season is based on how high you managed to climb. The fact that the skin reward happens to be awarded at gold does not mean that you don't get rewards for placing bronze or silver. > > There are a variety of things that can in some way or another disqualify you from receiving ranked rewards entirely, but they are binary disqualifications. You don't get knocked down to a lesser tier of rewards for only getting caught boosting a little bit, you get lose them all. > > These are two completely separate things. By your own argument, players who were below honor 2 have an extra chance to avoid the binary check of disqualification.
Yep, didn't say I agreed with the plan to give players this one time only extension. Only said that there's an important distinction between things that disqualify you from rank rewards entirely and the performance level bonus of rank reward tiers.
MCAS MIR (NA)
: And........game is uninstalled hahah i was about to get a $50 card for this game till i logged onto my other account and seen this, bye riot games you would sucker me out of money.
>Get's a forum ban, not an in game ban. >Decides to quit playing the game. Ok.
mack9112 (NA)
: > [{quoted}](name=PUBG Sword Saint,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=atQGGKkT,comment-id=000200000000000000000000000000000000000100000000,timestamp=2018-11-15T00:25:26.640+0000) > > They get their second chance already, they got a slap on the wrist instead of a temp or permanent ban from the game. They also aren't penalized from receiving rank rewards next year, just for this year. > > A judge giving an offender 100 hours of community service rather than jail time is a second chance. A judge letting the offender go without any real consequences whatsoever is not a second chance, it's not punishing them at all. > > In any case this 'grace period' is only for this season because the new honor system came out this season, it won't be here next season or in years after it. But they did receive a consequence being that they are in a honour level that they have to climb out of which is a rather difficult grind I am told. If a person can show they have reformed and are being a positive part of the community again why can't they be rewarded ?? It would be healthy for the game and be a good positive reinforcement for the player.
The reward is that you get to keep playing the game and eventually work your way back to a neutral standing. It would be healthier for the community if people didn't do shit that gets them punished in the first place.
: > [{quoted}](name=Busty Demoness,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=atQGGKkT,comment-id=00020000,timestamp=2018-11-14T20:06:28.292+0000) > > I disagree. > > It basically strips the negative reinforcement coming from punishments. Ignorance of the rules is not an excuse for breaking them. The punishment being alleviated for reasons that amount to "we don't want to hear you whine" is Riot giving you a pass for the behavior you had shown that was clearly unacceptable. > > So that "positive reinforcement" is really just undermining the system they created to prevent toxic behavior in the first place. You're just being narrow-minded and hating on toxicity, everyone has their moments, and some get caught for them. It's also proven since forever that positive reinforcement always works better than negative reinforcement, you don't slap someone thats angry and expect them to actually try to be a positive influence on the community, they just hold themselves back next time and will eventually blow up or quit.
Riot isn't interested in people who can't be civil playing their game. You'll take your punishment and shut your mouth next time and follow the rules from now on or you'll be banned. That's the line they draw. League isn't a small game that needs every player they can get their hands on, and it's not their job to rehabilitate or raise children to not be rude to their other customers. Even so they still make efforts for positive reinforcement with things like the honor system, but don't make the mistake of thinking they actually want players who need their hand held to stay civil to stick around because they don't and it's been stated several times.
mack9112 (NA)
: > [{quoted}](name=Wolfcub2000,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=atQGGKkT,comment-id=0002000000000000000000000000000000000001,timestamp=2018-11-14T20:42:10.680+0000) > > It does take multiple games. It may give only one game as a reason.... but it does take more than just 1 game. > > Also, i was better behaved when i was age between 14 and 18. I understand but like I have reiterated multiple times in this post is it not a good idea to show a possibly toxic individual that if they change there ways and try to reform they can and will be rewarded for it further encouraging the idea. We all live this life with different experiences who knows why that individual is or was toxic but if they can show they are better why can't they be rewarded why do we have to be so cut and dry .
They get their second chance already, they got a slap on the wrist instead of a temp or permanent ban from the game. They also aren't penalized from receiving rank rewards next year, just for this year. A judge giving an offender 100 hours of community service rather than jail time is a second chance. A judge letting the offender go without any real consequences whatsoever is not a second chance, it's not punishing them at all. In any case this 'grace period' is only for this season because the new honor system came out this season, it won't be here next season or in years after it.
: > [{quoted}](name=PUBG Sword Saint,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=pHKt3TnT,comment-id=0003,timestamp=2018-11-14T22:24:23.210+0000) > > If you aren't interested in improving, but rather in reaching the rank that you currently deserve as a fast as possible, then surrendering early when a game seems to be going very poorly is the logical move to make. Then higher elo shouldn't even consider more skillful the those of gold silver or bronze. Those of the lower elo try to improve themself while those of the higher elo are only interested in standings and looking down upon those that arnt their rank but they themself don't have the skills
Not looking to improve doesn't mean you suddenly lose what skill you already have. Once you hit a peak its hard to improve anyway, and just maintaining is a significant effort. A bronze player who is playing to improve will still get destroyed over and over by a diamond player who isn't playing to improve. That's what the difference in ranking means.
Show more

The Sword Saint

Level 68 (NA)
Lifetime Upvotes
Create a Discussion