Rioter Comments
Febos (EUW)
: I don't know the fine details of the system, but from what Riot has said here's how it (probably) works, in a nutshell: - The match maker (MM) is always active looking for players to create parties. - MM scans the pool of players and tries to pair up people based on their Match Making Rating (MMR). - When someone joins a queue, they're thrown into that pool (ence the name "queue"). - The process is asynchronous, meaning it isn't stuck in a loop looking for people. Players join and leave queue and the MM is notified when that happens (the pool is updated and it can re-scan). This doesn't necessarily mean every notification (every player joining the queue) will make it scan again. In the meantime, the MM may do other things instead of just waiting, for example shuffling and merging (eg exchanging/merging players to better match their MMR). - The MM makes multiple teams (ie games) at the same time. - Imagine a pool of players (1000+) ever joining and leaving the queue. Imagine there are 10 games with only 1 spot left, out of 100 games. The MM will always try to find the best game for your MMR, even if that means not sloting you into a game that is only missing one player. Also, bare in mind that while you're joining the queue, the same is true for everyone else. If, say, 20 players join the queue at the same time, only 10 of those would be slotted into one of those 10 "missing one player" games. Now translate this small scale to big scale. The point is, the system being asynchronous means it won't process events **when you want it**; it will process events **when it can**. The MM process in itself is far from trivial, so 0-second queues are virtually impossible (very rare), by design. ######That said, I've had queues where I press the "Play" button and 2 seconds after a game was found. Likewise, I've had queues where I've waited for 5 minutes. It really is an interesting system.
> [{quoted}](name=Febos,realm=EUW,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=fUN4leIp,comment-id=000000010000,timestamp=2019-03-23T13:00:00.559+0000) > > I don't know the fine details of the system, but from what Riot has said here's how it (probably) works, in a nutshell: > > - The match maker (MM) is always active looking for players to create parties. > > - MM scans the pool of players and tries to pair up people based on their Match Making Rating (MMR). > > - When someone joins a queue, they're thrown into that pool (ence the name "queue"). > > - The process is asynchronous, meaning it isn't stuck in a loop looking for people. Players join and leave queue and the MM is notified when that happens (the pool is updated and it can re-scan). This doesn't necessarily mean every notification (every player joining the queue) will make it scan again. > In the meantime, the MM may do other things instead of just waiting, for example shuffling and merging (eg exchanging/merging players to better match their MMR). > > - The MM makes multiple teams (ie games) at the same time. > > - Imagine a pool of players (1000+) ever joining and leaving the queue. Imagine there are 10 games with only 1 spot left, out of 100 games. The MM will always try to find the best game for your MMR, even if that means not sloting you into a game that is only missing one player. Also, bare in mind that while you're joining the queue, the same is true for everyone else. If, say, 20 players join the queue at the same time, only 10 of those would be slotted into one of those 10 "missing one player" games. > Now translate this small scale to big scale. > > The point is, the system being asynchronous means it won't process events **when you want it**; it will process events **when it can**. The MM process in itself is far from trivial, so 0-second queues are virtually impossible (very rare), by design. > ######That said, I've had queues where I press the "Play" button and 2 seconds after a game was found. Likewise, I've had queues where I've waited for 5 minutes. It really is an interesting system. Thanks!
Zac x Me (NA)
: You are constantly in queue when you log into the game. You can even see it as sometimes the play button is greyed out and then suddenly pops into colour again. When you "queue in" manually all it does is allow you to get queue popups.
> [{quoted}](name=Zac x Me,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=fUN4leIp,comment-id=0002,timestamp=2019-03-22T15:05:49.404+0000) > > You are constantly in queue when you log into the game. > > You can even see it as sometimes the play button is greyed out and then suddenly pops into colour again. > > When you "queue in" manually all it does is allow you to get queue popups. Whoah, i never knew that
Febos (EUW)
: The beauty of asynchronous and matchmaking systems. ######If you want, I can elaborate.
> [{quoted}](name=Febos,realm=EUW,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=fUN4leIp,comment-id=0000,timestamp=2019-03-22T11:35:22.550+0000) > > The beauty of asynchronous and matchmaking systems. > ######If you want, I can elaborate. I would love if you could elaborate!
Rioter Comments
0Cyrixx (NA)
: Veigar in the new AR URF
I had a veigar in my urf game, was more than usless... [https://drive.google.com/file/d/11oF_T3zl4bu9hSiFdYbp0b0YyiOqPcvD/view?usp=sharing](https://drive.google.com/file/d/11oF_T3zl4bu9hSiFdYbp0b0YyiOqPcvD/view?usp=sharing)
: What if static emotes were IP/BE and there was animated emotes (Like the ones on Facebook) that were RP? I think that's a good idea. {{sticker:poppy-wink}}
Such a good idea, works for us and riot!

TheBoss0000

Level 117 (NA)
Lifetime Upvotes
Create a Discussion