word dog (NA)
: 3 Reasons I think League of Legends sucks.
> [{quoted}](name=word dog,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=y5AwNszU,comment-id=,timestamp=2019-09-06T22:24:25.040+0000) > > If you enjoy playing league of legends that's fine, I do too, but there are lots of bad things in the world we love. Shitty sitcoms, fast food, abusive relationships, etc... but I want to list the reasons I think League of Legends should be apart of that list. > > 1. The client is terrible. It's as if it was programmed by one guy in highschool who really wanted to create a storefront but got really into video games, so he just turned it into that. It's slow to open, you can't logout without closing the entire client and restarting it, and it's plagued with bugs that can make it hard or downright impossible to use the client. > > 2. Leaverbuster. This is something no other player will agree with me on, but I believe Leaverbuster (specifically for Ranked) is bad. If you leave a game all you should lose is LP and MMR. If you leave and your team wins you should still lose LP and MMR. While you might think "but if people can just leave games then that will lower the integrity of matchmaking!" sorry but you're wrong. Having a player who does not want to be there, is already lowering the integrity of games, and actually by a lot more. Do you think people would run down mid if they could just leave the game? Do you think people would troll and leash the enemy team dragon or baron if they could just leave? Sure maybe some, but a lot less. Most of the toxicity in this game is due to the fact players are held hostage in games they no longer want to play. Not only does leaverbuster promote toxicity, but it makes it harder for people to win games, because a tilted player dying over and over is much worse than him leaving the game to go cool off. And if you think you can just ban all of them you're wrong again. Well sure you can ban them, but that won't stop them from playing. Even a perma ban won't stop them for making or buying another account. Even an IP ban won't stop them. Heck, Tyler1 got ID banned and he kept playing. So no, you can't stop players from being toxic by punishing them, you can only let them leave the non-toxic people alone. > > 3. Your diamond balance team doesn't listen to the players that know the game better than them. When I look up a guide for a champion, guess what? I'm not going to leagueoflegends.com and I'm not using your recommended builds. I'm going to a pro player or a statistics website that shows win rates. My gripe isn't that the game isn't balanced, it's that you have an incompetent team on payroll for your game. > > As a closer I do want to point out some positives of league. I believe you have an extraordinary team working on VFX, Writing, Animations, Marketing, Voice Acting, and your entire Art Department in general is just amazing. If this was an RPG it would probably be fantastic. Also some of your programmers are incredibly talented, but because I don't know how programming works I'm not sure which ones or how many are actually good seeing as you have an amazingly optimized game and a severely broken client. > > k imma head out now peace {{summoner:6}} Just wanted to give my feedback on your last point, as an Engineer. While I don't work in the game industry I do work for a Fortune 100 company that deals with financial information and transactions. I work on core systems which facilitate the movement of transactions and like League champion interactions involve thousands of rules and scenarios that are extremely important to the integrity of the core system. I've also worked with some client development & UI work and I can tell you that in general the UI gets much less attention than the core functionality in both development & investment unless that client is tied to the actual core functionality. So in the case of League we really have two clients at play. We have the shitty client that you deal with before a match and the actual client which runs the match, the second of which clearly is required for the core game and as such I imagine gets a lot of attention. In my own line of work I've dealt with a very similar situation to the League client. We have a system which processes payments and involved thousands of complex rules & code. This was given huge amounts of manpower, money & resources. Constant development & testing are done to ensure that nothing breaks and ideas for how to improve or enhance the core system are always heard with open ears. Then we have the internal client which is not REALLY essential for the "core" functionality. In our case, all the functions the client offers can be preformed straight from a Database client like Oracle. So this is for convenience that we have the client and UI but the same general concept still applies. The manpower given to building this UI was far less. Interns helped build it & frankly it was not done in an efficient way. The UI to be honest is utter shit. The design is not user friendly and clearly no REAL testing was done. Performance & load testing are important for example putting 100,000 transactions into the UI and seeing how it preforms. For the same League should have tested their client on budget computers for stability instead of their top-end PC's. The result is that the UI can not handle the sheer amount of transactions and lags TERRIBLY. Lags to the point that you have to kill the client, restart your computer and try again. On top of that are numerous other mistakes. For example if you want to change a setting you are supposed to be able to do so in the client. The problem is that after spending 30 minutes writing the business rules in the client, you make one mistake and hit submit and the client tells you that you made a mistake and auto-closes the window. Then you have to start over. Anyone with common sense would recognize this is insanity and would simply highlight your mistake and let you fix. My point is that we have a wonderfully efficient system but a total garbage client. Fixing it wouldn't be that difficult but the problem is $$$ and resources. Those who make the decisions for our technology department don't feel that spending money or time on a client is worth it when the same could be spend developing a new product or enhancing the speed of core systems. I'm not saying that excuses Riot or the company I work for, I'm just explaining based on my perspective why the Riot UI has not been fixed. To add to that I'm sure Riot has at least at some point brought up player complaints about the client much how our employees regularly bring up issues with our own client. I'll tell you what happens. Riot goes to it's Engineers who designed the client or who are responsible for it and either raise a defect or suggest an enhancement. A defect means something is broken and would be a priority. This could be something like you can't click a button or something isn't visible at all. In our case and Riot's these issues would be fixed and given high priority by Engineers. But then you have those grey area defect/enhancements. Riot says "People complain the client is unstable" so the Engineers test it on their PC's and report back that the client is fine, or they test on a cheaper PC and report that the client is slow but usable and to make it faster would require a significant infrastructure re-work. I've been there. When we complained about the speeds & wanted to look into fixing it we discovered that the entire architecture of our client was garbage. Built on Java that dynamically loaded each time the client starts that means any REAL fix would require basically starting from scratch. Let's be honest, Riot isn't going to do that anytime soon. They wouldn't even release player achievements for free.
Tsuko (NA)
: Fuck people who abuse the chat system.
Me and my wife play duo in ranked and it's been a real struggle to get out elo-hell. I can certainly sympathize with the frustrations many people have. As player who plays maybe 4-5 supports depending on my match-up and my wife who plays about 3 mid-lane champions, it's annoying to see a player take a champ they have never played into ranked and then to further see they play a different champion every single game with a terrible win-rate. But then, I also understand. This is the nature of the game. Draft = frequent FF's. For those players who want to be in a game for the long-haul, win or lose, I think that ranked is a much better choice. I really believe that many players don't much care about ranking up in low elo but just don't feel like always having the enemy team FF at 15 when they have a good game. So where does that leave those of us who play a set number of champions and actually want to rank up? Again as someone who never feeds anymore early game (I never am a player to go 1-5 at 10 mins and neither is my wife, we know how to play safe even if that means losing farm) - we have what I see as four options to deal with a hard-feeding player. 1. Become toxic. This is the worst of the four choices. In 99% of cases the player won't respond well to a toxic team and will instead either get angry or stressed out and play even worse. Some players may even try to die more often just to spite their toxic team. I personally don't respond well to toxic teammates and I know for sure I do much worse. Let's be clear - Calling out a player for obvious carelessness or feeding is NOT toxic. If you see a top lane champ for example going 1-10 with a vision score of 0 I don't feel there is anything wrong with pointing out in a playful manner something like "You allergic to wards top? :P" Now if you want to be toxic you can always go with "/all report fking feeding top lane useless af this is useless team" although you won't get far. 2. Do nothing. This is second worst choice. Doing nothing won't change their behavior you will just have to hope the game goes better in team fights. Still better than being toxic in most cases. 3. Roam. Often times this may not be possible but in some cases you can get away with it. For example in a recent game me and my wife were both playing bot, I was Zyra and she was Ashe. Darius was feeding hard against Teemo on top lane and was like 1-8 at 15 mins. We were able to win our lane thankfully and get first turret so we went top and were able to get Darius a kill on Teemo. From then on I camped top in the bush or river and got Darius 3 more kills and he made a comeback and finished positive. 4. Advice. Sometimes a player my be unfamiliar with a champion or some aspect of the game and you can politely give them advice. The other day my jg and top lane were feeding Swain hard. I politely asked if they had ever played as Swain and know how his ultimate works? They said they don't know about him so I explained when he ults to stay away because he will steal their health and then do more damage the more he steals, so they followed my advice and *mostly* stopped feeding him That's my advice.
Rioter Comments
: All of these comments can say "RITO STAHP" and yet they'll still make bank off of this. They listen to the dollars, not the words, and despite many (such as myself) boycotting these scams there's still more than enough whales buying everything thrown at them.
I think you would be surprised how even the most loyal players are avoiding these now. I have spent over $3,000 on this game in one year (all on skins) and I will not buy little legends. I have no problem spending money on this game because I have a good job & a lot of income I can play with but a bad deal is a bad deal. Hard pass on little legends until the price is reasonable or I can just pay $10 and buy the one I want fully "evolved". I bet you that other whales feel the same way.
: > [{quoted}](name=GROMMI,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=jz00EFib,comment-id=0002,timestamp=2019-08-23T19:36:37.657+0000) > > I'm okay with this. Part of the reason I desire Eternals is, strangely, because they have a price attached to them. It's more unique that way, and I enjoy being more unique. As special cookie as it is, I will take the time to learn off meta picks for the sake of exclusivity. It's very valuable to me, and I prefer if not everyone has Eternals because that makes me enjoy mine more. > > Strange, but marketing IG So the more overpriced something is the more you want it? Since that generally makes less people want to buy it... making you more.... unique
> [{quoted}](name=Champion Skin,realm=EUW,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=jz00EFib,comment-id=00020001,timestamp=2019-08-23T19:41:18.626+0000) > > So the more overpriced something is the more you want it? Since that generally makes less people want to buy it... making you more.... unique That's about as sad as rich people buying gold plated staples or $20 colored toilet paper to wipe their ass with - simply because they have the means and others dont, it makes them "unique". I'm a whale and all but personally I don't enjoy buying things that are only unique for the sake of buying them. Getting Mastery 7 on a difficult champ that no one really plays is more my idea of the kind of unique I strive for. To each his own I guess.
Rioter Comments
Zed Boss (NA)
: "Why did you ban my champion?" Answer: "Oh cry me a river"
> [{quoted}](name=Zed Boss,realm=NA,application-id=3ErqAdtq,discussion-id=BF5djtHf,comment-id=,timestamp=2019-08-21T20:55:31.210+0000) > > Yeah.. then you bitch about why that person kept feeding. > I can play more than 1 champ, but why the hell ban someone that you're clearly hovering over? There's no common sense in that. > They should seriously make it so no one can ban what you're hovering over. There are only a few reasons I'd ban a teams pick. One is if a teammate who is picking last declares Pyke but isn't even playing support. I'll offer to trade so they get Pyke but if they don't respond I will ban him. I do not play against Pyke on bot lane since the update, period.
: > [{quoted}](name=aTinyKittenYAY,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=vegwF0Et,comment-id=,timestamp=2019-08-17T06:08:16.494+0000) > > TLDR; We have spent $2,000 in one year on this game but won't spend another dime if Eternals releases in it's current form. > > I know that there are a lot of these threads going around but I wanted to share mine, from the prospective of a "whale". > > We have both been playing this game for about one year. I am 29 and my wife is 24 and I guess you would call us die-hard players (although we aren't the best). I am already almost level 275. We don't go out to bars or do anything expensive for "date night" since we are both gamers. Honestly I don't know HOW we managed to spend so much - a few skins each week or buying big packs during events, I guess it adds up. > > Anyway I have never had any problems justifying this expense for two reasons. First of all, we can afford it since I have a good job as an Engineer & we have no kids. As I stated before we don't really do date nights because we just prefer to stay home, game & watch adult swim, south park, etc. while we do it. The money we save from not going out drinking and out to eat I'm sure is more than we spend on League. Again, $2,000 is a rough estimate - it could be much more. I was only able to calculate that much from my checking account but that doesn't account for the numerous gift cards I've been awarded at my job for various achievements (also the $250 we got as a wedding gift from coworkers that mostly went into League). > > The second reason is that we feel that skins are a fair and long term benefit. We enjoy using skins & since I'm an ARAM player it's nice to have skins for all possible champs I might play. For the most part skins I buy I do feel that work was spent creating them that can justify the cost. I also understand that anyone **CAN** unlock skins through normal play so I don't feel like a greedy bastard that has some paid advantage over my opponents. > > **Even the event passes I've been fine with -_ I've gladly turned over 2% of my yearly income_ for you creating content that me and my wife enjoy, as much of our time spent together bonding is through League of Legends. ** > > > > And then came the Urf pass. > > > This really was the first time that I raised an eyebrow to Riot's money practices. Of course I bought the pass because I quite loved Urf but all the while I felt that it was a very greasy way to make money and essentially gave paying players like myself an advantage against those f2p players, which really breaks the spirit of a game like League - with that said it was a limited time event and quickly dropped from my mind. > > Then came the prestige points. I felt like this system was far too expensive & that Riot intentionally separated "event prestige skins" from "prestige point skins" as a greedy means to make even more money. I had one piss poor experience lately during the Battle Academia event. Basically I thought that I could use Prestige Points to get the Lux skin when it released. I already had 65 prestige points so I went ahead and bought a $100 event pack to get the rest of the points I needed for the skin. Since I had my 100 prestige points I went ahead and used 1k of my event tokens on other things. Once the Lux skin released I discovered I couldn't use my prestige points to obtain the skin EVEN THOUGH it's called a prestige skin. I contacted Riot support and begged them to trade my 100 prestige points *AND* the rest of my tokens (I still had over 1,000 left) for the skin. They refused. Support flat out told me that they understood and agreed the system is confusing but couldn't help me. To this day that still makes me mad. I did manage to grind enough tokens to still get the skin (and still have the 100 prestige points) so they sort of did me a favor by not making the trade but the lack of service to a customer who spends so much is unreal. > > Continue on to the biggest ripoff yet, Little Legends. When released me & my wife fell in love with them. She wanted that cute pink furyhorn so bad. So I said okay, let's buy $50 worth and I'm sure we will get some good stuff. Nope! She got ONE max level legend and it wasn't even the one that she wanted. Right at that moment I realized how fking insane of a ripoff Little Legends are and you know I haven't spent a DIME on those legends and I will not do so again, Riot should really be ashamed they are ripping people off so badly. I thought Call of Duty's loot boxes were bad but man looks like Riot wants to give them a run for their money. > > > Then with a bad taste in my mouth from ripping me off with the Little Legends you announce this trash Eternals. What in the hell am I supposed to even do with Eternals? > > I spend my money so I can show off an achievement that is really only showing that Riot achieved scamming me out of $5 or $10. I won't feel proud to show this off I'll just look like a giant douche who is either super loose with their money or has their parents credit card. I'd rather go give a homeless person $10 next time they ask me outside Walgreens then pay $10 to show off how much money I have.. Christ this is just another thing to flash in front of all the players who are less fortunate, those players who live in countries where they have to go to a cyber cafe just to play the game. What a slap in the face, you can't even unlock it in regular crates!!! > > Total elitist bullshit. > > > Bottom line is that this Eternal nonsense is, in the words of Bubbles from one of my favorite TV shows, FKING GREASY. G-R-E-A-S-Y. > > You outta be ashamed of yourselves and let this be a testament that you WILL LOSE some of your most loyal whales. $2,000 in my first year playing. 307 skins owned and that's not even including my wife's account. Feel free to look me up @Riot and if you do please respond to confirm that I have in fact spent this much (as I suspect it's actually closer to $3,000). > > I PROMISE you that I won't spend a dime on this game if you release Eternals in their current form. At LEAST give a base version of each champion to everyone for free. > > > > Also one last thing. STOP USING PR LIKE YOUR PLAYERS ARE STUPID. > > The ridiculous reasons for hiding Little Legends behind Loot Boxes and monetizing Little Legends is just so ridiculously dumb I can't believe you don't know we see right past it. **Greed will always lead to evil and failure.** At one point World of Warcraft seemed untouchable until the company changed things for money. The reason any company will keep doing evil things is because people out in the world will spend there money on things the company pushes. As long as there are people out there willing to give others money for the wrong reasons then the companies will keep putting out stuff many don't like. Unlike most people. I would never flash my money like it means nothing. I have more respect for my self as well as other people. You may not think 2000 is much, but to many that is a lot.
> [{quoted}](name=Ash Lockheart,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=vegwF0Et,comment-id=0028,timestamp=2019-08-18T08:23:04.142+0000) > > **Greed will always lead to evil and failure.** > > At one point World of Warcraft seemed untouchable until the company changed things for money. The reason any company will keep doing evil things is because people out in the world will spend there money on things the company pushes. As long as there are people out there willing to give others money for the wrong reasons then the companies will keep putting out stuff many don't like. Unlike most people. I would never flash my money like it means nothing. I have more respect for my self as well as other people. You may not think 2000 is much, but to many that is a lot. So are you actually suggesting that I don't respect myself because I spent 2k on skins that me and my wife like? Who the hell are you to suggest that? I pay taxes and bills. I do what I can to help family and friends. Rather than going out on the weekends like most people my age we prefer to buy skins - how does that translate to a lack of self respect? Spending a small portion of my disposable income is a lack of self respect? Also while I generally agree with the rest of your post it seems misguided here. The entire point of this post was to tell Riot that I WON'T buy the rip-off things that they push, and do show F2P players that I support them - nothing should ever be locked behind a paywall. Either you didn't read my whole post or you have a total lack of understanding the contents.
: It's depressing seeing how many people come into this thread to bash whales for spending money on content they enjoy, when those same whales are the only reason this "free to play" game exists at all. Reality check, guys: Whaling in and of itself isn't a bad thing. It's when whales spend money blindly without considering what they're getting for that money that it becomes a problem. This guy clearly is putting thought into what he's buying, otherwise this thread wouldn't exist.
> [{quoted}](name=Leaf of the lake,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=vegwF0Et,comment-id=0025,timestamp=2019-08-18T01:32:37.954+0000) > > It's depressing seeing how many people come into this thread to bash whales for spending money on content they enjoy, when those same whales are the only reason this "free to play" game exists at all. > > Reality check, guys: Whaling in and of itself isn't a bad thing. It's when whales spend money blindly without considering what they're getting for that money that it becomes a problem. This guy clearly is putting thought into what he's buying, otherwise this thread wouldn't exist. Thanks for saying that. I'm just trying to help the future of this game by ensuring that those things Riot sells us are in the best interest of everyone.
: Not to be rough on you, but you wrote a post about how you and your wife spent 2000-3000 dollars on a game and then told Riot to "stop treating their players like they are stupid." Why would they? Clearly, people are spending money. You are a perfect example of that
> [{quoted}](name=mikemcparty,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=vegwF0Et,comment-id=0024,timestamp=2019-08-17T23:18:20.056+0000) > > Not to be rough on you, but you wrote a post about how you and your wife spent 2000-3000 dollars on a game and then told Riot to "stop treating their players like they are stupid." Why would they? Clearly, people are spending money. You are a perfect example of that Right, I'm sure if no one spent any money then Riot would keep League of Legends going for the charity of it. You attack me because of how much money I spent but by your rationale your might as well say that anyone who spends any amount of money is stupid. 2k to me might be the same as $100 to another person. Also, I don't regret my purchases at all. I love the skins that I have and I got value for all that money I spent with the exception of the Little Legends pack which was $50 out of the total - so don't try to act as though I just kept getting ripped off over and over. I made a business purchase for skins. I knew what I was getting and I was happy with what I got - You can't say that I'm stupid for buying skins because you don't know my feelings - you don't know how much joy the skins brought me or what I would have used the money for otherwise. You also took the end of my post out of context. When I told Riot to stop treating players like they are stupid I was speaking about their trying to lie about their decisions. Hiding Little Legends behind a paywall and trying to call it "fun" or suggesting that they can't justify adding achievements without charging - those statements treat us all like we are stupid.
: > [{quoted}](name=aTinyKittenYAY,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=vegwF0Et,comment-id=001b0001,timestamp=2019-08-17T19:03:30.849+0000) > > Wow. This is probably one of the most ignorant posts I've read in this entire thread. > > First of all, spending money on games be it free to play or not is not foolish. I worked my ASS OFF for 6 long years so I could get a degree and get a job. My mommy and daddy didn't pay for school, I didn't get a fancy scholarship, I did it. I worked full time the entire time at various shit hole jobs for example the worst of all on a assembly line screwing in the same 8 bolts over and over for 10 hours. > > Then when I finally managed to get a job with an Indian contractor making 65k I worked even harder so I could get hired by American Express. > > I EARNED the right to spend what I damn well please on a game. That doesn't make me foolish, it just shows me that your letting your own opinions dictate what other people should spend their money on. Maybe I think it's foolish that people spend $150+ going out to a bar for one night and all they have to show for it the next day is a hangover. > > > > Second - your entire logic is ridiculous. Your suggesting that by me spending money on a game I love that I am somehow the cause of Riot ripping people off in the future? You make it sound like they are a child or animal that has only basic cause/effect instincts. That is like saying that if I go to the same bar every week and spend a lot of money, and that bar suddenly starts charging money for the 3 best seats at the bar, it's my fault for spending so much money. > > No sir, that's not a fair argument at all. The entity responsible for Little Legends & Eternals is RIOT, pure and simple. > > Now if I continued to buy Little Legend packs knowing that it's a bad deal, or if I started buying Eternals knowing it's a pathetic cash grab, THEN you could say that I'm contributing to the problem just like in my other example if I started paying for those exclusive seats are the bar every week & they suddenly decided to make 3 more seats rental based I could then be blamed for the additional policy. > > > But to suggest because I spend a larger amount of money than average players when me and my wife make over 100k, it's my fault Riot starts ripping people off?? > > Bullshit. > > > > Lastly, if it wasn't for Whales like myself I'd be surprised if there WOULD be a League of Legends. While I don't know exactly how much the average player spends I would not be shocked to see Riot non-existent today if every single whale was removed from the equation. > > Whales aren't responsible for Riots actions, RIOT is responsible for RIOTS actions and we must hold THEM accountable. That is why I created this post to show Riot that even those who have financially supported them the most will turn on them in a heart beat over this. Most of what you say here is irrelevant. How you make your money and how you got to your current position in life has nothing to do with this conversation. I could explain my own personal struggles, and I make more than you and your wife combined. That wouldn't make wasting my money any less pointless. I never said you couldn't spend your money however you wanted. But many things we all, myself included, spend money on are foolish. We are spoiled since we live in a rich part of the world where money means less because we have so much of it. Most people in the world would be thrilled at having a job screwing in 8 bolts over and over for 10 hours. Do you not understand how Supply and Demand works? Who creates the demand? We do. How do we show what we demand? By spending money. How do companies like Riot know how much they can get for something? By trying to charge more for less and seeing how far consumers will let them go. It's not rocket science. Every spending choice you make becomes part of the equation. Are you willing to pay 1k for a cell phone? Then companies will see if they can charge 1.1k. Are you willing to pay $50 to watch a baseball game? The team owners will see if they can charge $75. The only way to make it stop is to open your eyes and close your wallet. Or don't. It's your choice. But choices come with consequences. Pointing your finger at the companies who are exploiting you blinds you to the fact that you have been letting them all along. We all created this problem every time we spent the night in line waiting for a new game console or spent hundreds of dollars on sneakers because some celebrity made them seem cool. Your comment about instincts is actually more on point than you seem to understand. It is what drives almost all of this from both sides. You spend money on luxuries because they give you pleasure (think dopamine brain rush). Company executives want more money no matter how much they already have because it gives them pleasure. And guess what usually gives the biggest rush of all? Yep, that's why it sells and why you will always see scantily clad women in every medium and why companies will always use it to suck every penny out of you that they can. Acting all indignant about it won't change a thing. Make smart choices. Be cognizant of the fact that even the little expenditures you make influence our commercial system. Enjoy your money, but set your own limits. Understand that companies watch every purchase you make and use that data to figure out how to make you spend more. And with that, I am going to go get some expensive greasy carryout even though there is plenty of good, healthy food in my kitchen. I am going to watch some TV on my luxury home theater system while sitting on my comfortable leather couch. My dopamine levels are low, and I need fix.
> [{quoted}](name=SammyDayspring,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=vegwF0Et,comment-id=001b00010000,timestamp=2019-08-17T22:56:21.658+0000) > > Most of what you say here is irrelevant. How you make your money and how you got to your current position in life has nothing to do with this conversation. I could explain my own personal struggles, and I make more than you and your wife combined. That wouldn't make wasting my money any less pointless. > > I never said you couldn't spend your money however you wanted. But many things we all, myself included, spend money on are foolish. We are spoiled since we live in a rich part of the world where money means less because we have so much of it. Most people in the world would be thrilled at having a job screwing in 8 bolts over and over for 10 hours. > > Do you not understand how Supply and Demand works? Who creates the demand? We do. How do we show what we demand? By spending money. How do companies like Riot know how much they can get for something? By trying to charge more for less and seeing how far consumers will let them go. It's not rocket science. Every spending choice you make becomes part of the equation. Are you willing to pay 1k for a cell phone? Then companies will see if they can charge 1.1k. Are you willing to pay $50 to watch a baseball game? The team owners will see if they can charge $75. The only way to make it stop is to open your eyes and close your wallet. Or don't. It's your choice. But choices come with consequences. Pointing your finger at the companies who are exploiting you blinds you to the fact that you have been letting them all along. We all created this problem every time we spent the night in line waiting for a new game console or spent hundreds of dollars on sneakers because some celebrity made them seem cool. > > Your comment about instincts is actually more on point than you seem to understand. It is what drives almost all of this from both sides. You spend money on luxuries because they give you pleasure (think dopamine brain rush). Company executives want more money no matter how much they already have because it gives them pleasure. And guess what usually gives the biggest rush of all? Yep, that's why it sells and why you will always see scantily clad women in every medium and why companies will always use it to suck every penny out of you that they can. Acting all indignant about it won't change a thing. Make smart choices. Be cognizant of the fact that even the little expenditures you make influence our commercial system. Enjoy your money, but set your own limits. Understand that companies watch every purchase you make and use that data to figure out how to make you spend more. > > And with that, I am going to go get some expensive greasy carryout even though there is plenty of good, healthy food in my kitchen. I am going to watch some TV on my luxury home theater system while sitting on my comfortable leather couch. My dopamine levels are low, and I need fix. I don't think we are going to see eye-to-eye on this. Your view is that all companies are evil and we must do everything in our power to avoid "feeding" and my argument is that it's fine to continue to support a company no matter how much as long as you are paying and getting a fair deal. We simply have a different philosophy on economics & capitalism in general. 1. You don't get to decide what is "foolish" for anyone to spend their money on. That is totally your opinion. I do know we live in a rich area of the world. I sponsor a family in the Dominican Republic for that very reason and send them $250 every few months. What do you do for the world that makes you so high and mighty that you get to dictate what people should spend their money on? 2. Your comment on supply and demand doesn't make sense because Eternals hasn't been released yet. There is no demand for Eternals. Riot is trying to shove them down our throat. Now, yes, I am creating a demand for new skins. I want Riot to create new skins and I will gladly pay for them. I have created a demand for more skins, I do not dispute that. But me buying skins doesn't translate to some other product. That's like suggesting that if I go to McDonald's every day for lunch & they suddenly decide to start selling finger paints out of the back that I am responsible because I personally created the "demand". The real "demand" for Eternals is all the players asking for achievements. Riot has never actually charged for any product similar in the past so this is certainly a test for them. THE ENTIRE FUCKING POINT OF THIS POST is to ensure that their first test does not succeed.
: but riot is free to play. they need to make money.. riot: WE ARE MAKING MORE MONEY THAN MOST TRIPLE A titles at full sale price OMEGALUL
> [{quoted}](name=1 Inch and Proud,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=vegwF0Et,comment-id=0023,timestamp=2019-08-17T21:21:54.229+0000) > > but riot is free to play. they need to make money.. > > riot: WE ARE MAKING MORE MONEY THAN MOST TRIPLE A titles at full sale price OMEGALUL Exactly. Don't get me wrong. I love League of Legends and I WANT to give Riot my money in exchange for good quality skins. But I won't allow them to take advantage of me either.
: > [{quoted}](name=C9 Scott,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=vegwF0Et,comment-id=00020001,timestamp=2019-08-17T20:10:43.183+0000) > > Congratulations, you took what is possibly the least important part of the post and ignored everything else. not really though nobody thinks eternals are a good feature they're poorly designed and made people have been getting upset over riot's progressively less transparent money-grabbing schemes for a while now don't see how saying what everyone thinks is any important
> [{quoted}](name=BlueVestGuy,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=vegwF0Et,comment-id=000200010000,timestamp=2019-08-17T21:06:16.269+0000) > > not really though > nobody thinks eternals are a good feature > they're poorly designed and made > people have been getting upset over riot's progressively less transparent money-grabbing schemes for a while now > don't see how saying what everyone thinks is any important I felt like there is value in someone who has spent a large amount of money posting this. It's one thing for F2P players to complain about it, Riot can shrug that off. If their most loyal paying players though raise a stink about it, maybe they will be more likely to listen.
: My wife's boyfriend and my wife are happy and I spend 2000 bucks on this game* fixed
> [{quoted}](name=BrieLarsonFan,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=vegwF0Et,comment-id=0022,timestamp=2019-08-17T20:36:08.671+0000) > > My wife's boyfriend and my wife are happy and I spend 2000 bucks on this game* > > fixed Sorry is that supposed to be some kind of joke?
enshine (NA)
: imagine spending thousands of fucking dollars on a free game lmaooo
> [{quoted}](name=enshine,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=vegwF0Et,comment-id=0021,timestamp=2019-08-17T19:52:15.509+0000) > > imagine spending thousands of fucking dollars on a free game lmaooo Imagine having a job that allows you to spend thousands on a free game. Feels pretty good from where I am sitting.
Glory97 (EUW)
: As a veteran player, I feel treated like garbage by riot games.
Having just started this game a year ago I can confirm that the UI is extremely complicated and difficult to learn. I remember the first time there were so many buttons & menus I didn't know what the hell I was doing - and I am an Engineer! I managed to stick around and figure it out but I imagine that players with a shorter attention span or low tolerance for cluttered UI's would be quick to uninstall.
: The fact that you would spend $2000 on a "free to play" game is exactly what motivates companies like Riot to produce pay content like Eternals. They count on foolish players like you to increase their profits. Any opinion you have will be overshadowed by your lack of good judgement in your choices. The "whales" are the main problem that ruin games like this for the rest of us. I have spent more on this game than I have on any other, but I consider it in lieu of a subscription. I am will to pay some to keep their servers and maintenance going. Anything beyond that is excessive and only contribute to the greed. I feel like I have gotten my money's worth in return.
> [{quoted}](name=SammyDayspring,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=vegwF0Et,comment-id=001b,timestamp=2019-08-17T17:42:09.776+0000) > > The fact that you would spend $2000 on a "free to play" game is exactly what motivates companies like Riot to produce pay content like Eternals. They count on foolish players like you to increase their profits. Any opinion you have will be overshadowed by your lack of good judgement in your choices. The "whales" are the main problem that ruin games like this for the rest of us. > > I have spent more on this game than I have on any other, but I consider it in lieu of a subscription. I am will to pay some to keep their servers and maintenance going. Anything beyond that is excessive and only contribute to the greed. I feel like I have gotten my money's worth in return. Wow. This is probably one of the most ignorant posts I've read in this entire thread. First of all, spending money on games be it free to play or not is not foolish. I worked my ASS OFF for 6 long years so I could get a degree and get a job. My mommy and daddy didn't pay for school, I didn't get a fancy scholarship, I did it. I worked full time the entire time at various shit hole jobs for example the worst of all on a assembly line screwing in the same 8 bolts over and over for 10 hours. Then when I finally managed to get a job with an Indian contractor making 65k I worked even harder so I could get hired by American Express. I EARNED the right to spend what I damn well please on a game. That doesn't make me foolish, it just shows me that your letting your own opinions dictate what other people should spend their money on. Maybe I think it's foolish that people spend $150+ going out to a bar for one night and all they have to show for it the next day is a hangover. Second - your entire logic is ridiculous. Your suggesting that by me spending money on a game I love that I am somehow the cause of Riot ripping people off in the future? You make it sound like they are a child or animal that has only basic cause/effect instincts. That is like saying that if I go to the same bar every week and spend a lot of money, and that bar suddenly starts charging money for the 3 best seats at the bar, it's my fault for spending so much money. No sir, that's not a fair argument at all. The entity responsible for Little Legends & Eternals is RIOT, pure and simple. Now if I continued to buy Little Legend packs knowing that it's a bad deal, or if I started buying Eternals knowing it's a pathetic cash grab, THEN you could say that I'm contributing to the problem just like in my other example if I started paying for those exclusive seats are the bar every week & they suddenly decided to make 3 more seats rental based I could then be blamed for the additional policy. But to suggest because I spend a larger amount of money than average players when me and my wife make over 100k, it's my fault Riot starts ripping people off?? Bullshit. Lastly, if it wasn't for Whales like myself I'd be surprised if there WOULD be a League of Legends. While I don't know exactly how much the average player spends I would not be shocked to see Riot non-existent today if every single whale was removed from the equation. Whales aren't responsible for Riots actions, RIOT is responsible for RIOTS actions and we must hold THEM accountable. That is why I created this post to show Riot that even those who have financially supported them the most will turn on them in a heart beat over this.
Bonten (NA)
: Lol ive spent around 1.2k in my 6 years of playing how the fuck do u spend 2k lol i have every champion and almost a skin for everyone
> [{quoted}](name=Bonten,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=vegwF0Et,comment-id=001a,timestamp=2019-08-17T17:13:26.603+0000) > > Lol ive spent around 1.2k in my 6 years of playing how the fuck do u spend 2k lol i have every champion and almost a skin for everyone https://imgur.com/a/sIpLJ4s Also remember this is me AND my wife. I don't have access to her account so I don't know how many skins she has but it's a substantial amount as well.
: You can actually check this. I just did. If you go here: https://support.riotgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/360026080634-How-Much-Money-Have-I-Spent-in-League-of-Legends- all you have to do is login and and click show me the money. Don't worry, it was created by Riot Games. I have spent $455.
> [{quoted}](name=The Dreamwalker,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=vegwF0Et,comment-id=0017,timestamp=2019-08-17T15:26:04.808+0000) > > You can actually check this. I just did. If you go here: https://support.riotgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/360026080634-How-Much-Money-Have-I-Spent-in-League-of-Legends- all you have to do is login and and click show me the money. Don't worry, it was created by Riot Games. > > I have spent $455. Oh god it's actually worse than I thought and this is only MY account I don't even know how much would be on my wife's account, probably 2/3 as much as me because she didn't get quite as many of the event packages. https://imgur.com/8lcQWqo
Phridolin (EUW)
: First of: I agree with you even I am no “whale”. But Riot did cashgraps already plenty of times before that’s just too obvious and unfair. Thx for letting me feel healthy cause I “only” spend 200? Around the past 6 years. But now things which make me curious: - how do you both met each other since you both just live for work and games? - how did you both overcome the situation and moved together? - I am 28 myself and don’t go out too nearly never just sometimes. And I am mostly single cause of that and even I met a girl who would fit I don’t find her attractive cause the attractive ones for me always are busy and go out much. And cause of that I come to my last point: - I am really curious how you both look like
> [{quoted}](name=Phridolin,realm=EUW,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=vegwF0Et,comment-id=0013,timestamp=2019-08-17T12:56:23.680+0000) > > First of: I agree with you even I am no “whale”. But Riot did cashgraps already plenty of times before that’s just too obvious and unfair. > > Thx for letting me feel healthy cause I “only” spend 200? Around the past 6 years. > > But now things which make me curious: > - how do you both met each other since you both just live for work and games? > - how did you both overcome the situation and moved together? > - I am 28 myself and don’t go out too nearly never just sometimes. And I am mostly single cause of that and even I met a girl who would fit I don’t find her attractive cause the attractive ones for me always are busy and go out much. > And cause of that I come to my last point: > - I am really curious how you both look like We met back in 2015 on a website called OkCupid. I was working at Lowe's and a full time college student and she was working at Taco-Bell. We had an extremely high match % and I read in her profile that she loved Zelda. We talked through text messages for a couple months and met. I introduced her to Skyrim early in dating which she loved and we would play together every time she came over. I graduated college a year later and was offered a position with a contractor in Florida as a Programmer and asked her to come with me. She found a job in a call center and moved into a lead position this last year. I was hired by the client (American Express) in 2016 as an Engineer. https://imgur.com/tLFFIKz https://imgur.com/sxAGRZt
: So you spend 2-3k though you saw how greasy the microtransactions are then complain about them getting more greasy? Wonder why it got worse...
> [{quoted}](name=demoted to iron,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=vegwF0Et,comment-id=0019,timestamp=2019-08-17T16:26:23.305+0000) > > So you spend 2-3k though you saw how greasy the microtransactions are then complain about them getting more greasy? Wonder why it got worse... Not really a fair statement. The micro transactions only reached a really greasy level to me once they hid little legends & (soon) eternals behind a paywall. I've always been very critical of games what hide anything behind a paywall, essentially making it a form of gambling. I never had a problem with prestige points in itself, I felt it was simply a way to reward the most loyal spenders. I did have a problem with the fact there were limits to how you could spend your points. I actually used to play CoD full time & straight up quit that game because of hiding strong weapons behind loot boxes. I don't want to see League go that route where one day we see new champions or mechanics hiding behind a paywall.. hence this post.
: hate to break it to you, but you are the reason that the event passes and prestige skins remain a thing and will remain a thing for the foreseeable future. what was the urf pass? a skins boost? no advantage given, cosmetics are not an advantage so OP has jumped the shark already. likewise with eternals, you guys can forward money for prestige skins but somehow eternals is taking it too far? that's a bit of a muchness for me. base version for eternals is "mastery" it's right there. i mean look i don't want to be defending riot anymore than the next man but none of your complaints are valid according to your own presented philosophy.
> [{quoted}](name=preternatural,realm=EUW,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=vegwF0Et,comment-id=0010,timestamp=2019-08-17T12:27:19.419+0000) > > hate to break it to you, but you are the reason that the event passes and prestige skins remain a thing and will remain a thing for the foreseeable future. > what was the urf pass? a skins boost? no advantage given, cosmetics are not an advantage so OP has jumped the shark already. > likewise with eternals, you guys can forward money for prestige skins but somehow eternals is taking it too far? > that's a bit of a muchness for me. > base version for eternals is "mastery" it's right there. > > i mean look i don't want to be defending riot anymore than the next man but none of your complaints are valid according to your own presented philosophy. Actually the urf pass allowed you 1 extra re-roll every single game. This might not seem like much but as someone who played urf exclusively while it was around I can tell you it was huge. Getting that extra reroll that can give your team one more OP champ in the linup is a really huge advantage even beyond an advantage that gave a small amount of bonus stats to a champ.
Rifter34 (NA)
: ***
> [{quoted}](name=Rifter34,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=vegwF0Et,comment-id=00030001,timestamp=2019-08-17T14:50:38.114+0000) > > It's a troll post. This degenerate fuck is just grabbing peoples attention off the boards. It's the reason why this community is so shit. Why would anyone believe he spent $2,000 on this game? It's free to play. His wife is a vaginal slut. https://imgur.com/M7hpNvj
: Idk peeps flaming you for spending 2k dollars but tbh if I had a high paying job I would do so as well if its something you enjoy it shouldnt rly matter (also your wife and you are goals tbh xD )
> [{quoted}](name=AlterMordred,realm=EUNE,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=vegwF0Et,comment-id=000e,timestamp=2019-08-17T11:51:02.740+0000) > > Idk peeps flaming you for spending 2k dollars but tbh if I had a high paying job I would do so as well if its something you enjoy it shouldnt rly matter > > (also your wife and you are goals tbh xD ) That's the thing, it's all about perspective. I make 91k and my wife makes close to 30k. So for perspective 2k a year is less than 2% of our combined yearly income. If I made 20k per year as a high school student and spent $300 a year on the game that would actually be a larger slice of my income. Some people decide to have kids and spend all their money on them, or go out to bars every weekend and drop $300 (which yeah that's how much it is when we go out for the whole night for dinner and club and all that). We just spend it on something we both enjoy I don't see what people don't get about that.
PzyXo (EUW)
: If you gave me that 2000$ so I can travel away from Algeria It would be better
> [{quoted}](name=PzyXo,realm=EUW,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=vegwF0Et,comment-id=000c,timestamp=2019-08-17T11:16:46.222+0000) > > If you gave me that 2000$ so I can travel away from Algeria It would be better We didn't plan to spend 2k in the beginning. To be honest I didn't even realized I had spent near that much till I went over my bank account for the last year searching for "Riot".
Lan Fan (EUW)
: You are part of the problem if u have supported Riot in the last season.
> [{quoted}](name=Lan Fan,realm=EUW,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=vegwF0Et,comment-id=0005,timestamp=2019-08-17T08:10:30.085+0000) > > You are part of the problem if u have supported Riot in the last season. Fair enough assessment. Consider this post my attempts to change that.
: why would you spend 2k on this
> [{quoted}](name=BlueVestGuy,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=vegwF0Et,comment-id=0002,timestamp=2019-08-17T06:52:21.505+0000) > > why would you spend 2k on this I already explained this in the OP - if you don't want to read it that's your problem.
: same here. i won't spend a dime on eternals either.(yes im also a whale)
> [{quoted}](name=On My Kill List,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=vegwF0Et,comment-id=0000,timestamp=2019-08-17T06:32:13.536+0000) > > same here. > i won't spend a dime on eternals either.(yes im also a whale) I also mean beyond eternals. I feel that I don't want to contribute AT ALL to Riot's bottom line. If suddenly they lose money after releasing eternalsoverall maybe they will rethink their decision.
Proxy345 (NA)
: Yall voluntarily got ripped off lmfao. Edit: Its funny reading my own comment with a southern accent everytime lol
> [{quoted}](name=Proxy345,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=vegwF0Et,comment-id=0001,timestamp=2019-08-17T06:39:25.317+0000) > > Yall voluntarily got ripped off lmfao. More or less.
Rioter Comments
Rioter Comments
Cräfty (EUW)
: Ruining in-game progression: Hextech origin, as if Cursed Blade wasn't enough!
Guess we can all look forwards to having our champions set back a star AND their items removed now... Sounds like a lot of fun..
: 10 Yuumi tips
Great tips. To add to that, teleport is worth taking for an ADC becuase she can teleport with you if attached!
: Yea to be honest, objectives don't win you games anymore unless you were already at least even or had some lead over the other team to begin with. Unless it's an Infernal Dragon nothing does anything that provides meaningful stats.. You can't push with Baron when losing every fight, the speed from cloud is worthless when your whole team dies in 2 seconds every fight, objective and tower damage useless when you can't push without dying, and the out of combat health regen doesn't matter when you die before you know what hit you. Being able to fight back is the only viable stat (AKA MORE DAMAGE!), and only Infernal Dragon gives anything to help with that. So yea, if you're going for Infernal Dragon then it's smart (assuming you and the rest of your team aren't dying in the process). Outside of that, it's just not worth it. Preventing enemies from getting fed or getting your teammates fed is always a better option right now than taking any objective.
> [{quoted}](name=Rainbow Slayer,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=m8WuXMBI,comment-id=0005,timestamp=2019-05-08T08:22:18.640+0000) > > Yea to be honest, objectives don't win you games anymore unless you were already at least even or had some lead over the other team to begin with. Unless it's an Infernal Dragon nothing does anything that provides meaningful stats.. You can't push with Baron when losing every fight, the speed from cloud is worthless when your whole team dies in 2 seconds every fight, objective and tower damage useless when you can't push without dying, and the out of combat health regen doesn't matter when you die before you know what hit you. > > Being able to fight back is the only viable stat (AKA MORE DAMAGE!), and only Infernal Dragon gives anything to help with that. So yea, if you're going for Infernal Dragon then it's smart (assuming you and the rest of your team aren't dying in the process). Outside of that, it's just not worth it. Preventing enemies from getting fed or getting your teammates fed is always a better option right now than taking any objective. I disagree. Baron can easily change the momentum of a game if the team uses the buff right. For example yesterday as Lux my team was behind 20+ kills. I was doing pretty terrible at 0-7-9 I managed to ult steal baron not once but twice. The first time we all went mid and got inhib. The second time we won game. No way we would have won without baron.
: Prestige points? Whats the best way to get to 100
Typically the events they have with unique capsules give a lot more. I still have 47 left over from the blood moon event. My advice is don't try to get it now and just be patient.
Saelon (NA)
: > [{quoted}](name=aTinyKittenYAY,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=zyWnpFMM,comment-id=0002,timestamp=2019-03-07T15:18:59.659+0000) > they are a free skin you get if you spend around $100-125. This gotta be the dumbest thing I've ever read
> [{quoted}](name=Saelon,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=zyWnpFMM,comment-id=00020000,timestamp=2019-03-07T18:49:11.413+0000) > > This gotta be the dumbest thing I've ever read How so? You spend $100 on skins and you get the points for the skin. Saying the skin is $100 is dumb because it makes it sound like the skin is all you get for your money.
Fìzž (NA)
: Riot's amazing new line of $200 skins!
I really don't understand how people say these are "$200 skins". Saying that is like suggesting that you get nothing else except that one skin for $200. In reality you probably get close to 40 skins plus the prestige. Really it's like a bonus "Spend this much money and get a free skin".
: My issue with Riot making "Prestige" skins in response to massive loss of money they've been making
I gotta disagree with you OP. First off it's totally normal for a company to have good years and bad years, even great years and terrible years. The point is that Riot's revenue is still very good & while I'm not certain of the numbers they are turning a profit. Of course they are spending too much on e-Sports. This is seen as one of those "investment" expenses where you spend money for publicity in the hopes it will net more players and make up for the original costs. This is the part that isn't happening right now which means that they have to make up the expenses somewhere. Prestige skins aren't _REALLY_ $200 skins but rather they are a free skin you get if you spend around $100-125. Me & my girlfriend normally buy a skin each week. When a Prestige skin comes that we really want we will spend an extra $50 and that will be enough for that skin plus all the others we get from the $50 which is quite a lot. For me that's fine. I have an income that allows me and I'm happy to support an otherwise free game that me and my girlfriend spend 2-4 hours a day bonding together over. I'm sure there are a lot of players out there who are inclined to spend money when this prestige skin is offered. Third, I don't know what the player count is but I'm pretty sure that it's growing rather than shrinking. I'd also estimate that F2P players are much more likely to stop playing than those that spend a lot of their hard earned money. For example I have 177 skins. Riot would have to really upset me for me to want to quit - not to mention I have fun playing. My point is that the players I feel are most likely to quit are those who aren't spending much or any money anyway which don't affect the bottom line.
: "So won't making Kayle be this powerful late game be kind of hard to balance?"
I was given a great gift yesterday that I am low-elo and went against an inexperienced Singed on top-lane so I was able to get a few kills early and totally dominate late game. I think I went something like 19-2 and she was a total dream to play - loved the Pentakill skin. I can tell in a real match-up though she would be difficult to play like early-Nasus to the extreme. I guess you would have to tower camp till 11 unless you have a good gank from your jg or a favorable matchup like mine. Although at least 3 of my last ranked games have involved the rest of the team doing very well but top lane feeing 10+ kills before 30 minutes so even if she camps tower and is 3 levels behind she would be doing more of a service to her team than most the top laners I play with.
: Story behind your league names?
Me and my girlfriend wanted matching names since we planned to duo bot. She went with aChubbyKittenYAY. We don't have kids but two cats we love so the name was an obvious choice.
Fìzž (NA)
: Riot's amazing new line of $200 skins!
Sad that Lunar Warwick with the gold chroma legit looks like prestiege skin.
Rioter Comments

aTinyKittenYAY

Level 269 (NA)
Lifetime Upvotes
Create a Discussion