rujitra (NA)
: That word is literally never okay in League. There is literally no reason someone would ever think that word is okay in a game with strangers. Yet you chose to use it anyway. You knowingly and willfully did something that you should've known would never be okay. As such, a warning is not appropriate. You were escalated due to the fact you used extremely toxic language while you should've known it's not okay.
What you said is fair, and for the most part, I agree with you. However, I disagree that a chat restriction is a "warning." That's a semantics issue, though, so c'est la vie. Thanks for the response.
: Hate speech earns a 14-day ban on the first offense to firmly drive home the point that this behavior will not be tolerated.
While I don't agree that escalating the punishment to that level is necessary, I agree with you that it drives home the point. Thanks for the succinct response.
: I'm not sure what the goal is here. You pretty much answered the question in the title in almost the same turn as you asked it; > **2 week suspension for first ever infraction; why not a chat restriction?** > > First, here is the entirety of my behavior report card: > > Game 1 > In-Game > grandma1936: quit pinging, you f****t > grandma1936: that's fine You know the word that resulted in the escalation, and you know full well that it's offensive - otherwise, you wouldn't have gone out of your way to personally censor it. If it's _that_ bad, that you intrinsically know that it's so bad that you feel compelled to personally censor it - then the question of "why not a chat restriction" becomes a no-brainer. ~~Besides, the boards auto-censors most Zero-Tolerance words already, so the act of doing so is kinda redundant.~~ > I feel like my case is a good example of what should qualify for a chat restriction. No previous issues of toxicity and a first time screw up after several years of playing. Yet, the punishment immediately escalated past any chat restriction or lesser suspension. Why did my punishment escalate immediately to a 2 week suspension? Why was a chat restriction not the more appropriate punishment for a first time offense? Harsh infractions get harsh punishments. And, let's look over this again, shall we? The word you used was a homophobic slur, meant specifically to attack someone on the basis of their sexuality, and is widely regarded as offensive. And rather than pingmuting a player who was annoying you, you chose to attack them with that word. You _know_ the word is offensive, which is pretty clear by your self-censoring. You know full well that it's not a word you should be using, period. And Riot _expects_ that you know it's not a word you should be using. Hence, why they deliver a 14-day ban for the first offense instead of a chat restriction. _You should know better_, and a chat restriction is not harsh enough for such an egregious offense. Of all the words in the English language you could've used as an insult (not to condone you insulting them, by the way, still a bad move on your part), you chose _hate speech_. That is, for lack of better words, awful, and a chat restriction would be far too light. Now, you should probably learn from this and _definitely do not flame or spread negativity, **period**_ - no calling early "GG"s, no complaining, no whining, no harassment, no report-calling, no _nothin'_, because your next offense for chat misbehavior _period_ will result in a permanent ban.
> [{quoted}](name=Umbral Regent,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=YisAB448,comment-id=0002,timestamp=2018-12-21T06:11:24.412+0000) > > I'm not sure what the goal is here. You pretty much answered the question in the title in almost the same turn as you asked it; > > You know the word that resulted in the escalation, and you know full well that it's offensive - otherwise, you wouldn't have gone out of your way to personally censor it. If it's _that_ bad, that you intrinsically know that it's so bad that you feel compelled to personally censor it - then the question of "why not a chat restriction" becomes a no-brainer. > > ~~Besides, the boards auto-censors most Zero-Tolerance words already, so the act of doing so is kinda redundant.~~ > > Harsh infractions get harsh punishments. And, let's look over this again, shall we? > > The word you used was a homophobic slur, meant specifically to attack someone on the basis of their sexuality, and is widely regarded as offensive. And rather than pingmuting a player who was annoying you, you chose to attack them with that word. > > You _know_ the word is offensive, which is pretty clear by your self-censoring. You know full well that it's not a word you should be using, period. > > And Riot _expects_ that you know it's not a word you should be using. Hence, why they deliver a 14-day ban for the first offense instead of a chat restriction. _You should know better_, and a chat restriction is not harsh enough for such an egregious offense. > > Of all the words in the English language you could've used as an insult (not to condone you insulting them, by the way, still a bad move on your part), you chose _hate speech_. That is, for lack of better words, awful, and a chat restriction would be far too light. > > Now, you should probably learn from this and _definitely do not flame or spread negativity, **period**_ - no calling early "GG"s, no complaining, no whining, no harassment, no report-calling, no _nothin'_, because your next offense for chat misbehavior _period_ will result in a permanent ban. Good grief. I never implied that I didn't know what caused me to be punished. I never implied that I didn't deserve to be punished. I never implied that I didn't understand why I was punished. I never implied that I was anything but wrong and contrite. Maybe you would have understood what my goal here was if you actually hard read the post, rather than climbing on your pulpit to preach. I censored the word for two reasons. Firstly, I'm not going to test how the forum's profanity filter works, and therefore risk getting permanently banned. I now understand how seriously Riot takes this. Secondly, I censored it for clarity, because that's not the only F word I could have used. It was for full disclosure. I disagree that the question of "Why not a chat restriction?" being a "no-brainer." A two week suspension is an arbitrary punishment. Why not one week? Why not three weeks? Why not an immediate ban? Those are fair questions to ask. Your opinion is that a chat restriction would be far too light; that is certainly not a universal opinion, and it is not beyond reproach. We should be able to ask about and discuss the topic. Is this punishment appropriate? What punishment would best correct the behavior? It's like pretending that chopping off a hand is the only way to punish shoplifting, and ignoring the many other options such as a fine, a ban from the premises, community service, a jail sentence, etc. I'm glad that you got to type up your little speech, but it was neither helpful nor insightful.
Rioter Comments

grandma1936

Level 184 (NA)
Lifetime Upvotes
Create a Discussion