Cronovey (NA)
: > [{quoted}](name=ploki122,realm=NA,application-id=A7LBtoKc,discussion-id=aIUyiwdc,comment-id=002c00000000,timestamp=2018-09-28T21:16:37.183+0000) > > While we're at it, I was curious if you have any insight on why Riot seems to put so much focus on CS over actual wealth. Over the years, there have been countless changes that give more or fewer CS when they die, and hiding the actual wealth behind CS only really hinders lower elos, since the wealth can usually be very easy to extrapolate in lane since you have a point of comparison (your 5 players), and late game there are so many variations of build paths and whatnot that hiding it all behind CS doesn't really change anything. > > Even now, with every changes that have made it to live, casters keep having to discard or emphasize certain numbers because of how weird CS is (GP getting extra gold, partial camps being counted weirdly, melee vs caster vs cannon, plants and other minions, coin/spellthief, targon counting double CS, etc.) The partial camp counting is actually helping with that clarity because certain monsters per camp are worth more money so it helps give you a better idea of their *actual* gold count. Same thing with Targon's counting twice, both players get that gold value so it makes sense that they both get the CS counter to help you figure out just how much gold they really have. There are a few things that don't help much like you said, but some of those things actually *help* with the clarity instead of detracting from it like you think.
> but some of those things actually help with the clarity instead of detracting from it like you think. Everything I mentioned helps, outside of the ones I mentioned aren't accounted for yet. What I'm saying is that every other patch, they make some minute changes to make CS reflect actual gold more effectively, instead of just giving up and finding a better "simili-gold" system, or simply using raw gold value.
: It's off gold gain from minions exactly for the reason you called out
While we're at it, I was curious if you have any insight on why Riot seems to put so much focus on CS over actual wealth. Over the years, there have been countless changes that give more or fewer CS when they die, and hiding the actual wealth behind CS only really hinders lower elos, since the wealth can usually be very easy to extrapolate in lane since you have a point of comparison (your 5 players), and late game there are so many variations of build paths and whatnot that hiding it all behind CS doesn't really change anything. Even now, with every changes that have made it to live, casters keep having to discard or emphasize certain numbers because of how weird CS is (GP getting extra gold, partial camps being counted weirdly, melee vs caster vs cannon, plants and other minions, coin/spellthief, targon counting double CS, etc.)
: Is Dynamic Queue causing this shit?
Considering that dynamic queue is for ranked and you're in a normal game, that's one more thing that's being blamed on DynQ without being any relevant to it...
Sevenix (NA)
: As someone that mained Vel'Koz as support since season 4 I sorta agree with this. Velkoz support Always ends up in top of the damage, even when my actual build hardly includes Any AP dues to the poor scaling. The thing that makes him very fun and viable as support are * Q is a really long range, low cooldown and easy to hit Highly Potent slow. * Knockback on E. As someone who plays velkoz as support I ask you to try to keep this in his remake. What makes Vel'Koz really good as support is that his AP scaling sucks, but he got his passive that doesnt need scaling. As such you can play Vel'koz support and really build zero AP items. Just build Liandrys Torment and you will end up in the top of damage dealt with quite a large margin. * If the purpose of this remake is to reduce Vel'koz front-loaded damage I would be quite happy with that. But hopefully he is also provided with some sort of utility in order to compensate. Perhaps the remake should base around making Vel'Koz into a better support, at which point you could also increase his scaling in order to make him viable mid. If I had to pick one thing that could be improved with Vel'Koz it would be his W ability, its very generic and you really dont have to put any thought into when and how to fire it. * Looking forward to the remake, but in general I think Vel'Koz is already in a quite sweet spot. _ Im on PBE under the same account name if anyone wants to discuss this further._
As another avid Vel'Koz player... I don't actually think that E fits him. Like... it fits his kit insanely well (self peel and WE combo on top of setting up R), but it doesn't really fit his character. If anything, I feel a snare or a suspend (a la Nami) would fit it much more.
: While I certainly can't deny that it is damage what makes Vel'koz a threat, I don't see why this is a problem. Thats the case for well.. EVERY mage in the game. There's a reason most mages aren't played as supports, it's simply because they lack the basedamage.
A lot of utility mages are brought for what they offer outside of damage, like Lulu, Lux, Morgana, Karma, Zyra. Otherwise, there are also mages that specializes in certain fashions, like Ziggs' and Heimer's sieging, Malzahar's wave push, Ryze's and Swain's tankiness, Leblanc's and Ahri's mobility, Annie's CC. In Vel'Koz' case you have a bit of sieging but nothing comparable to siege mages, and a lot of damage.
: It is viable on every single champ because it's a compact armor + MR item like Guardian Angel. You can say GA is much better for 'reasons', but there you go
You definitely don't want it on the likes of Ezreal, Vel'Koz, Ziggs, etc. Some champions simply do not buy defense because when people are next to them they're basically dead anyway. They are designed around being at range, and a bunch of Armor+MR definitely won't help that. Similarly, Leblanc won't take a bunch of MR+Armor, since her goal is to go in, kill someone and go out. If she gets caught, she will die whether she has Zz'Roth or not. Heck, even GA wouldn't save her. In those situations, you need "active defenses", like Banshee's Veil and QSS. They don't make you sturdier, they simply reduce the chance of them being in position to kill you. Malzahar is a bit like that right now where you don't really need defense since your goal is to simply dish out everything and kill someone, then deal DPS to everyone by spamming your shit. You do often take Rylai and/or RoA because of your short range which handicaps you in lane, but they seldom save your life in the late game where either you win or you lose (I do think he's extremely binary by nature, mostly because of his Silence and "all-in" nature).
: > [{quoted}](name=Specificity,realm=NA,application-id=A7LBtoKc,discussion-id=6c2r0VAc,comment-id=000a,timestamp=2016-02-13T23:27:11.246+0000) > > Doesn't this describe every assassin in the game? Yes. Assassins do not have 3 second AOE silences and 2 second suppression effects. Malzahar is not an assassin, therefore he must have counterplay.
In a simpler fashion, I'd say that both champions are active during assassins' burst, whereas both champions are inactive during Malz' making it insanely dumb. It's a bit as if Fiddle's drain stunned you.
: > Though AP itemization right now doesn't work as well as AD for a Malz-voidling based style. Perhaps, though Rylai's could give them some nice sticking power for the Voidlings given how well it is applied by Malefic Visions. We could also explore things like the Voidlings getting some of the Health and/or Resists that Malzahar builds, and there are certainly some good AP/Defense item options out there.
Plz make Zz'Roth viable on Malzahar so we can have the One True Void King build!
: Mechanics like Rek'sai tunnel or Skarner spires put a lot of burden on the other players in the game because they are constantly having to destroy or capture them. We think this was adding more frustration than fun and it's not a scalable design method.
Would you also add spells like Bard's tunnel and Thresh's Lantern to the list, where a lot of the power is gated behind your ally's decision?
ZaNJeTsU (EUW)
: okay, a little percent of players, but I want to ask why u wouldnt made bard a jungle champion, instead of supp, I saw a lot of youtubers playing him in jung, it fits him more, especially that he can collect his chems better if he's a jungler, as I think :)
They pretty much had to choose between making him viable in lanes or in the jungle. Basically, there is no real downside to gathering chimes when you're in the jungle, which means there cannot be an extreme benefit for doing so either. In the current form, Bard gets experience, which is massive, and MS which is very useful. If you make him good in the jungle, the XP and roaming factors will push him over the top, but if you remove the XP and MS, he cannot support anymore. So at the end of the day, it was one fantasy (roaming mystery) or the other (chiming support), and they went for support. If I had to guess why, it's probably because it allows him more flexibility (at least 3 potential positions) as well as not having released many supports in the recent past.
cvrt (NA)
: My sincere hope is that it leads to the elimination of four-man premades. I'm aware the plural of "anecdote" is not "data". But the worst experiences I've, personally, had in League have involved four-man premades; they've been really bad. I'm sure I've played with some which have been fine, unawares, but I thought ranked queues would be safe from that experience. Now they're not, and solo queue isn't launching at the start of season 6, and it's going to be a backwater. I'm pretty disappointed. Feels like my experience is being sacrificed to further someone else's goals, and that's not a great feeling to have, honestly.
To be fair, it is true that 4-stacks are insanely rare to stumble upon... But the fact taht everyone remembers that 1 4-stack they had proves how insanely terrible that experience **can** be. As always, it's not about the average, but the extremum.
Ludovico (EUW)
: So there is still the option of being in a team, that consist of players from different ELO´s, but the only queue that´s gonna be available for them is the ranked TT? But again: The concept of ranked teams remain? Like, you go to your profile and there´s still the option of creating/managing teams (now solely for the TT ranked)?
Well, the only **competitive** queue for disparate players is TT, but they can still enjoy SR just the same by queueing up for a normal.
LoaDerSpt (EUW)
: Just a question. Won't you have an issue when someone goes to dynQ as a group of 4? Won't It be hard to get that one guy that's missing? Why would a solo go to DynQ if they have the SoloQ to go instead?
I, for one, will keep playing Dyanmic queue as a solo player. The increased reward is obviously a pros, but I also like the chaotic form of teams.
: You know how you can use your scroll wheel to zoom in? Why not let the player zoom out more? In general, I mean (everyone, not just Xerath). That way, those who want to do so can do that, those who thinks it's not beneficial to zoom out during Xerath's ult don't want to.
Devs already commented on it multiple time, but the idea is that as you get higher resolutions, you're able to zoom out more. By zooming out more, you have access to more information and thus you inherently get an advantage by buying a better monitor (and/or more of them), and this isn't something they wanted. As such, the decision was to impose a reasonable cap. From my point of view, it's a very reasonable argument. Of course not everyone will agree with that hard cap, but I'd be surprised if someone disagreed with the reasoning.
: Are you with the times boy?
Sorry to break it to you, but 1337 is actually *kinda* old.
UrPalAl (NA)
: Right, but AD champions had the base AD on their items nerfed, so it wouldn't make sense for the mages to keep their auto attack damage.
It's more of a mid/late-game CSing tool, really. 5% of your APs early on is insanely negligible.
aítch (NA)
: ARE YOU READY LETS GO!!!!!
But lay off my blue suede shoes!
aítch (NA)
: Well it is one for the money..... ... ... ... ... {{champion:119}}
Two for the show..... ... ... ... ... {{champion:119}}
: > [{quoted}](name=Malix Farwin,realm=NA,application-id=3ErqAdtq,discussion-id=eds9As2x,comment-id=00000000,timestamp=2015-12-24T01:36:20.405+0000) > > Also doesn't mean they can complain either. Either except it, wait for a support you want, or play support. I play support and I'm not too much into non-meta supports aside from the occasional Lux (who's been fairly well accepted so far, and I mean if you're going to accept Brand, Annie and Kennen I don't see why Lux would make you flip your shit) so I wouldn't know how often it actually happens. I do face a lot of weird-ass supports and I can't recall the last time the enemy blamed their pick for the loss. Seems like OP is taking things out of proportions.
Playing Lux support really isn't that weird though. It's a bit comparable to say Nidalee (and I was only asked drink bleach and slit my throat once on Nid). Personally, I'm talking about actual left field picks.. Things like Blitz jungle, Braum top, Kha'Zix/Tryndamere support, Janna mid, ADC Zilean, things like that. From my point of view, Teambuilder is the only game mode where you don't force your pick onto your team, meaning that it's by far the best mode to try shit out. Having people complain about picks in Teambuilder is seriously annoying.
Rioter Comments
: > [{quoted}](name=ploki122,realm=NA,application-id=3ErqAdtq,discussion-id=eHa6mnEE,comment-id=00010002,timestamp=2015-12-22T18:51:50.445+0000) > > They made it proc through AAs so that people without 4+ damaging abilities are still able to use it. Proccing Thunderlord's Decree on Bard would be *really* rough if you removed AAs. In fact, you couldn't proc it at all until you have 2 Meeps stacked up (which still requires you to land your slow). Addinf reliability to the ability allows them to nerf its damage. If it was 3-ability procs, then it would need more damage, which would make it comletely ridiculous on the likes of Rengar who would still reliably land it even with 4-hits. it still creates a problem where it benefits carries more than a lot of casters and support champions like bard. poking with 3 ranged auto attacks to get the proc off is easier than hitting a bard q and auto attacks. especially due to the fact that adc are stacking attack speed. maybe the solution here is to still make the change and make more keystones, so champions like bard also have something in that tree. otherwise bard can go for bond of stone easily. he doesnt have to go ito cunning.
Late-game proc are fairly irrelevant tbh... an ADC won't simply kill you because of that one proc. If anything, I strongly believe that non-Deathfire Ferocity masteries would be vastly better than TLD in term of damage. The reason why everyone's riding TLD's dick is because it, paired with the flat pen, has completely redonkulous lane damage. If you can get 2 TLD procs in a trade around level 1-4 while the opponent is running something else (well, apart from like Soraka/Nami/etc. running Blessing), they have absolutely no way of getting back at you unless you're wildly out of position. In the early game, I don't think that ADCs are really favored at all... Well, outside of Vayne since Vayne loves 3-hit trades and people would tend to make 1-hit trades (or like 6+ hits trades) against her prior to TLD (and outside of MF who's in the same basket as Cass/Brand/Morg and many others who simply proc it way too easily).
Poske (EUNE)
: You do realise Thunderlord has 20 sec cd Never use it over Deathfire on brand morgana and other dot champs
It's actually fairly arguable for both of them. In a harder matchup like a Nautilus or a Leona, you can choose to take Thudnerlord to poke the ADC harder, or Deathfire to harass both slightly harder. For Morgana it's even more iffy since Deathfire only scales with your damage and you might want to build tankier and les damage, which makes Thunderlord much more useful come late game.
: also, why does it trigger off auto attacks, when caries already have a whole tree dedicate to them? seems like there is a lot of power budget wasted for burst casters and assassins because they made the thing go off on auto attacks.
They made it proc through AAs so that people without 4+ damaging abilities are still able to use it. Proccing Thunderlord's Decree on Bard would be *really* rough if you removed AAs. In fact, you couldn't proc it at all until you have 2 Meeps stacked up (which still requires you to land your slow). Addinf reliability to the ability allows them to nerf its damage. If it was 3-ability procs, then it would need more damage, which would make it comletely ridiculous on the likes of Rengar who would still reliably land it even with 4-hits.
Bârd (NA)
: Nope. Applied DOT spells (Swain E, Brand Passive, Cass Q) stacks it only when it is first applied. Persistant AOE spells (Morg W, Vel ult, MF E) apply it every time it occurs.
> Applied DOT spells (Swain E, Brand Passive, Cass Q) stacks it only when it is first applied. Unless you're brand, because fuck you that's why.
: > [{quoted}](name=ploki122,realm=NA,application-id=A7LBtoKc,discussion-id=GhWdm3R6,comment-id=0013000200000000,timestamp=2015-12-19T18:00:21.193+0000) > > That really sums up my issue with it... I just dislike the idea of the marksman being fucked because the opponent picked an assassin. And I really dislike the idea of marksmen getting to tons of sustained damage without having some major risk involved for going glass cannon.
Well, up until the very late-game point, most mages are able to deal with ADCs without too many issues... There's a massive difference between a class/champion offering burst, and a class/champion only offering burst. From my point of view, Leblanc is actually a well designed Assassin since she doesn't need to kill her target to be succesful. Meanwhile, Rengar really struggles at creating entertaining matches for the other 9 players.
AD Yuumi (NA)
: - Jinx promo - I was astounded by the amazing music video put together by Christian Linke, Passion Paris, and the music team. I definitely think it is one of the primary reasons she's successful to this day. One of my favorite things about that video is I feel it transcends LoL and our IP. On it's own, it's straight up a great video, you don't have to play League or know who Jinx is to like it. Another thing to note about it is it helped form the ultimate version of Jinx that ended up going in the game. A few months before release Jinx's VO was a lot more "cotton candy." She was a lot more ditzy and "wooo explosions" and didn't have much threat or intent to the way she talked. Jinx is manic, Jinx is light hearted, but she's not an airhead. The video team delivered a lot of good feedback on her character as the video came together and it resulted in some changes that pushed Jinx in a better direction. Also, in the video, the flame chompers explode into cool fire. They didn't used to do that in game. I saw the video and changed them, cause fire explosions are crazy cool. -I came in inexperienced but I actually think that's can be great for champion design. One of the strengths of our champion roster is that it's eclectic, there are many champions for many different tastes and playstyles. Having a new designer who doesn't know "the rulez" can sometimes result in really fresh new stuff. - I love my champions because I love their characters. I WANT MORE JINX AND VI STORIES. I WANT TO HEAR ABOUT EKKO VS. CAITLYN. I WANT TO KNOW IF GNAR PLAYS GAMES WITH LULU. - My TF2 experience has benefited me in two ways. First it taught me about counter systems, TF2's class balance (at least when I played years ago) is superb and it teaches you a lot about what types of counters are good and healthy and what types destroy gameplay. I also benefit because I played competitive. You learn real fast that "fun" and "power" are not the same thing and really good players strongly gravitate towards the latter. - PBE pros - great place to get testing and player feedback on skins/champs/whatever. Also lovely for finding bugs. PBE Con - player perception of it is entirely off and we need to do something to fix that. PBE IS NOT FOR DISCERNING CHAMPION BALANCE. NOT EVERYTHING THAT GOES TO PBE HAS TO SHIP. -I wish there was some way we could implement turn time from DotA without it making all champs feel like you're driving a model-T. It does a ton for the ranged vs. melee mismatch, it just comes at a massive feel cost that I'd want to avoid.
> player perception of it is entirely off and we need to do something to fix that. PBE IS NOT FOR DISCERNING CHAMPION BALANCE. NOT EVERYTHING THAT GOES TO PBE HAS TO SHIP Just my 2 cents, but having more experimental stuff on the PBE would likely help to discern that not everythign has to ship. Right now, all champion releases and major reworks went out the exact cycle they came in afaik. The only things that seems to stay for a longer time are the minor tweaks (so it looks like you're simply indecisive with how to proceed with a buff/nerf or something like that, or you don't feel like the skin is in the right spot). As for the discerning balance point... expressing that thought would already be a good start. I've seen threads on the PBE boards at least monthly asking about "WTF is the PBE about", especially when controversial stuff are being released. Graves and arguably Kog'Maw requiring an hotfix is one of them, the Poppy rework where everyone seemed to think that there were big issues with it and it barely got touched, and only minor numbers tweaks or bugfixes. And you know what happens ot those threads? They become an echo chamber, with absolutely no answer ever.
: > [{quoted}](name=ploki122,realm=NA,application-id=A7LBtoKc,discussion-id=GhWdm3R6,comment-id=00130002,timestamp=2015-12-19T00:31:42.886+0000) > > Actually, this is fairly meaningless against tanks since : > > 1. They likely have a CC to prevent you from continuously damaging them (which will make the nightfall proc and put it on CD). > > 2. The "25% of target's missing health" is roughly the same as saying "deal 25% more damage", which hits carries much harder than tanks (even if it doesn't osund that way) > > 3. Tanks still have the resistances to deal with that physical damage. > > Personally, I don't dislike the idea of giving assassins tools to deal more efficiently with tanks (but not when they're easily able to 100-0 carries). Which is actually my gripe with this item : It helps assassins 100-0 people even more, and reduces the amount of counterplay possible. IF an assassin is fed or the carry is way out of place and the carry is not super fed the assassin should almost always win unless the carry is able to way out maneuver the assassin. If the assassin is not able to usually win when on even ground with the carry in a 1v1 then the carry is too strong. In a way it is a rock paper scissors of league in what is generally good against what since I know Ghostcrawler still loves rock paper scissors from his age of Empires days.
That really sums up my issue with it... I just dislike the idea of the marksman being fucked because the opponent picked an assassin.
: Not to berate a point, but this is the case in many match ups with similar-archetype champions. If two mages that both rush Luden's Echo as their first item are mid and one of them beats the other to finishing the item, they have a massive lead in terms of trading. That's just how the system works. Now, you could argue that since (by your assumption) Zed would use the item better than Talon, in that given matchup it gives an even larger powerspike for Zed than it would Talon. In that scenario, it's less an issue with the item itself and more with how those two champions reach powerspikes. Sort of like the difference between a Luden's Echo on two poke mages. Truth be told, this is an easy fix, and champions can be nerfed/buffed depending upon what is necessary. I'm very interested in this item, if only because it will give some longevity to AD assassins... now we just need more AD assassins for it to be usable on.
Well, in Luden's Echo's case, it's not quite the same (imo) because the item has depth. It helps you poke, it procs on minions, it gives you a bit of burst, it's predictable. It has ups and downs. The Assassin Dagger does 1 thing : kill the enemy. A better analogy wouldbe Vlad+SV or Shiv+Yasuo, or Marksman+IE last season. Those simply synergizes so well with the champion that they are balanced around that item and the item becomes required. Ahri, who I consider a Luden mage, could opt into buying Abyssal Scepter or Athene's or FQC for instance, to deal with losing her lane, since Luden is simply "generally the best". I doubt that any AD assassin wouldn't pick that item as first buy even when 0/5. But yeah, it does already exist everywhere on a lesser extent.
Meddler (NA)
: If you believe assassins are broken that's all the more reason to give them items that fit their needs well and then balance around them having appropriate itemization. At present assassins rely heavily on items that are more targeted to other classes. That means bigger changes meant to affect other parts of the game will sometimes significantly affect assassin power levels, up or down. Creating items that support their patterns, while limiting strengths they shouldn't have (e.g. the ability to kill tanks) gives a lever to better balance assassins as a result.
> If you believe assassins are broken that's all the more reason to give them items that fit their needs well and then balance around them having appropriate itemization. If you balance a certain class around using a certain item, don't you end up with 2 main issues : 1. Some champions will use that item better than others (for instance, Zed might use it better than Talon which will use it better than Kha'Zix), and from there you directly create a hierarchy within that small class. 2. You artificially inflate the powerspike they get in the case of a mirror-y matchup. So if you have Zed vs Talon, the first of the 2 that gets the new item will have a massive lead (since the item is built around optimizing AD assassins). Basically, AD Assassins become reliant on the item and get in a simili-feast or famine case which is exacerbated by the mirror match. It's a bit like Vladimir vs Vladimir, whoever gets Spirit Visage first wins the lane.
: [ ! ] New AD Assassin Item in internal testing
I personally really dislike the idea of giving assassins more tools to kill you within 2 seconds. I feel like whenever an assassin i ssuccesful at doing so, the game is boring for at least 1 of the 2 sides.
: > [{quoted}](name=How Do You Meta,realm=NA,application-id=A7LBtoKc,discussion-id=GhWdm3R6,comment-id=0016,timestamp=2015-12-19T00:23:50.868+0000) > > Ok so the solution to nerfing every mage and their ap items is to give their counter assassins more strengths. > > I am just going to have to start learning non AP using champions at this rate because you guys clearly want to keep kicking them in the balls until they won't get up again. but assassins as a class are in a much worse spot right now than any mage in the game.
It's mostly because they're currently tuned around getting away after 100-0'ing an enemy, which cannot create healthy play patterns when succesful.
Retillin (NA)
: What....? No, oh god no! First off, this hits tanks REALLY hard. And they souldn't be hurt the most by assassin right? Second, why give bonus damage on an assassin weapon. Wouldn't resistance pen just be better on them. I can not believe this was even remotely okayed....
Actually, this is fairly meaningless against tanks since : 1. They likely have a CC to prevent you from continuously damaging them (which will make the nightfall proc and put it on CD). 2. The "25% of target's missing health" is roughly the same as saying "deal 25% more damage", which hits carries much harder than tanks (even if it doesn't osund that way) 3. Tanks still have the resistances to deal with that physical damage. Personally, I don't dislike the idea of giving assassins tools to deal more efficiently with tanks (but not when they're easily able to 100-0 carries). Which is actually my gripe with this item : It helps assassins 100-0 people even more, and reduces the amount of counterplay possible.
Nefas (NA)
: Reliable farm = reliable gold = reliable kill potential no matter what. Not healthy. Better to accept a wider variance of success and failure with assassins than make them more reliable.
> Reliable farm = reliable gold = reliable kill Hmmm... no? Alistar with slightly more gold doesn't really have reliable kill pressure. Neither does someone like Nasus or Sion. In the current iterations of Assassins, they do have reliable ways to get a kill, so giving them easy farm obviously turns into easy kills. But they've said time and again that all assassins burrently have balance issues because of it, because having reliable kill pressure is fundamentally flawed.
Nefas (NA)
: That sounds more like reasons to nerf Zed since assassins shouldn't have easy landing phases since they scale off of kills.
The issue with balancing Assassins around kill is that you have to make sure they get kills. They seem to want assassins to be better tha naverage at killing people, but without reliably killing them. So that means they require reliable-ish farm.
AD Yuumi (NA)
: 1) Different designers work differently. For me, I highly prefer to start with a piece of concept art and ask myself, "What should this character **feel like**?" For Jinx it was "manic crazy girl with an arsenal of weapons that all feel different," Vi was "In your face aggro punk girl, offense is the best defense, also falcon punch," Gnar was, "Obnoxious Teemo that surprises you when it turns into a pissed off Alistar," and for Ekko it was "Genius who outsmarts his opponents by predicting their actions as though he could see into the future." So yeah, for me personally, art has a HUGE impact on my designs. I really try to make my kits deliver on visual/mental fantasy the artists and writers come up with. I remember I used to have this great ult for Gnar where he'd devour a guy when he turned big. I iterated on it for a while and thought I was getting it to a good place but then went into a meeting where we determined that Mega Gnar WAS NOT BLOODTHIRSTY. Even though I liked the spell, i cut it immediately because it was no longer thematically aligned with the character. 2) Champion designers are tasked with releasing "balancable" champions and as such we're heavily involved with the idea of balance up to and after release. Before release (and a couple weeks after) the champ designer is responsible for their champ's numbers and feel tuning. After this, responsibility for the champion transitions to the live team and its up to the individual designer as to how much they remain involved in balancing their champ. I personally tend to stay very involved, and have implemented or advised live designers on numerous balance changes to Gnar, Jinx, Vi and Ekko, at the end of the day though I leave the final calls on balance decision up to live, as my opinions, while informed, are also somewhat biased. Best not to stay too attached.
> Even though I liked the spell, i cut it immediately because it was no longer thematically aligned with the character. You may not want to answer since that would mean you're basically calling out on one of your coworker's work, but how do you feel about Poppy's theme being represented in her kit?
AD Yuumi (NA)
: 1) (original question was what I studied in college) I majored in economics and studied film, theater, chem, and japanese on the side. 2) My favorite to play is Vi, my favorite to want merchandise of is Gnar, my favorite in terms of what I personally believe to be a "great design" is also Vi (with Jinx a close second). Objectively speaking, Jinx is likely my best design based on the insane number of players all over the world that seems to love playing her or feel she's fair to play against. 3) -Get up at 10:20, -Roll out of bed and book it to the office for standup (a meeting where we talk about what we're working on for the day) at 10:30 -Morning playtest to get designer feedback on the champion I'm working on -Lunch -Iterate on current champ/ideate on new champs and design space/fix bugs if I'm about to release -Talk to other designers about design/champs/games/projects we're working on -Get stuff in for evening playtests -Evening playtest to get feedback from other designers on the changes I made throughout the day -Dinner at 6:30 -Implement more changes based on the evening's feedback for the next morning's playtests -Finish up with work around 8-12 based on current projects and deadlines -Play video games until 2 am -Force myself to sleep
Just saying, but you may have fucked up on that #1... Either the other dude edited his answer, or you have a massive brainfart. It's still interesting to know though.
AD Yuumi (NA)
: [INTRO] August "gypsylord" Browning, Champion Designer
Hey gypsy! You know you're my favorite Rioter huh? I mean... especially when you give me poppy leaks (which you sadly never did). For real though, thanks for coping up with my nagging during that stressful ranked climb a few months back. Sometimes, I just really had to vent and you were the only one online (well... "online" aka connected). > Jinx How did it feel to have arguably the flashier release to date on one of your first champions (Jinx)? Luckily, you didn't *get Jinxed* by it. > About being the youngest You came in at like 24, and were surrounded by people who were probably around 30 on average. Did you feel pressured at any point of releasing an 'immature'/inexperienced piece? > Being the greatest fan of your designs Most devs seemed to say that they get burnt out on the champions they worked on, what do you think makes you different? Do you think it's simply because your champions are younger and you haven't playtested them enough to get tired yet? > Team Fortress 2 What part of your TF2 experience do you feel helps you in LoL and/or your design job? --- Otherwise, I gotta complete the loop, I already asked the 8 other guys, and most answered. - Who are your favorite current rioters and ex-rioters? - What would you say is the biggest pros and cons of the current way PBE functions? - What design from another game would you like to see in LoL (even if unrealistic) and why? This can be either a complete concept (like a DotA heroes or something), or a systemic one (like Aghs or maybe an ammo system on buildings or pickups, or first-person something... anything really). - If everything was to be turned into ice cream, what flavor would be your next champion?
: Riot's stated pretty clearly that Ao Shin is iceboxed until more underlying issues are resolved, and that it was a mistake to reveal him back when they did. I think you can find the information in Meddler's intro, but it could be somewhere else.
Personally, I really disagree that it was a mistake...their goal was to show how design happens and that's what they did. Sometimes a good design gets iced.
: E is Expunge, and R is Spray and Pray. ADCs are not Marksmen, they're ADCs.
I didn't even know that E changed name '-'. E is Expunge, R is spray and Pray, Final Flash/Finales Funkeln is "Lux' ult"
Kürama (NA)
: Tencent can publish LoL because Riot gave them a license to do so. So it does go a bit deeper than that, but still more or less monetary. Keeping in mind that Tencent has to pay Riot for the license lol.
From what I understand, publishing in China is hella weird, and Chinese comapnies are heavily favored. So basically it's not "Tencent is publishing LoL, so Riot pays them", but rather "Riot pays Tencent for them to publish LoL". So basically, Riot pays Tencent for the license (that's the *very* TL;DR version since China entrepeneurship is a clusterfuck).
Nefas (NA)
: My bad - I realized I phrased somethings poorly that were grammatically directed at you but were meant towards Riot. That's what I get for typing on a phone.
I was simply adding onto my/your answers. Basically, while I agree with your general feeling, I think Lee Sin was a bad example since his changes really didn't amount to much in term of "being happy". Lee Sin really needs either "unhappy" changes, or a mini-rework.
Nefas (NA)
: I agree. I don't think Riot takes reworks seriously enough. When a rework fails, the champ is moved to the bottom of the list and won't see anything for years. Cass' "rework" was at the end of 2014. She will be lucky to see anything by 2017. It seems like Riot is saying, ah well, it's just one playerbase. We did something so it looks like we are going through the list of bad champs and fixing them and overall people like it is incredibly rude if Riot is claiming that the size of a playerbase doesn't matter. It most obviously does. There is a reason that Lee Sin mains can get nerfs reverted by complaining loudly enough that Riot posts about it but Cass players can have 6 months of silence where they think she is still being reworked (because they were told she was) when nothing is actually happening. It's all in the size of the playerbase. "When you burn a Cass main, you may cause a huge drop in trust for Cass mains but it's not going to affect that many players overall" EDIT: Clarity
Well, I don't necessarily disagree with their prioritization, simply with the way they handled specific reworks/parts of reworks. If you look at Lee Sin, slight nerfs and tweaks to the way he works will lead to quite a few people having conerns and very few people being happy. I simply feel like sloppy reworks leave quit ea few people unhappy and everyone else ambivalent.
: If you are on L4T3NCY's team, do him a huge favour and pick Bard, he will thank you for it I promise.
What the hell, you still exist? Since you're titled "Featured Game Mode Designer", I'm guessing you dropped the whole AI thingie and someone's taken the torch (since I strongly believe that small changes are happening somewhat frequently)? Oh well, glad to see you nonetheless.
Nefas (NA)
: Ghostcrawler recent posted in his ask.fm that he had talked with the "design leads" about what they thought of what happens when an update goes 'halfway', in his words, gets a Champ from being a C to a B when the goal is an A. There apparently was consensus that it is better to then move on to other champs. What are your thoughts on this and why? I found his trust argument lacking. I have a lot more trust towards following through on work and finishing a job instead of leaving it half done, for (let's be honest) years at a time. Cass, in the opinion of the design team from what I understand, moved from a C to a B. For me she moved from a C+/B- to whatever grade champs I don't want to play are (F?). She isn't going to get any more work probably until 2017 with the focus on Yorick, Taric (both justified) and Shen (not so much). You can find the post in here a few questions down: https://m.ask.fm/RiotGhostcrawler
For me, I feel like the attitude they have really resembles contempt. GC talked about the fact that very few people complain about the rework, since ambivalent don't speak up. But I don't think it's actually logical to consider ambivalent people as positive. If you gave a shiny new toy to someone and he's ambivalent, you clearly did something wrong. He also brings Poppy, where he says that leaving Poppy in the dust for years doesn't hurt many people so its not that bad, but that's a skewed way of looking at it. The question should rather be how many people are fine with Poppy as-is, vs how many people want her to change. Once again, undecided people can't be used as a positive or a negative, they're ambivalent. In this case, I see a lot of people finding the rework "look nice", "feel nice", etc. but I haven't seen many people suddenly decide to main Poppy. Sure, she may have 8-10x more games played... but 80% of those are played by people having at most 15 games played on Poppy. To me, it feels like Poppy was simply deserted by the Poppy lovers which really shouldn't happen.
: Do you feel like Mordekaiser's rework was a success and that you're able to balance him accordingly for the longer term? How about his thematics, does he really fit the vision of an undead General bent on eternal Conquest? I personally think he doesn't really live up to his expectations and that he's got a LOT of potential that's simply left untapped due to him having received a pretty low scale rework instead of a full blown one that would have explored his themes and really made him a character befitting the title of Iron Revenant. What's your personal opinion on the matter and would it be too crazy to assume he'd be on that fabled rework list once more?
I'd suggest [this thread](http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/developer-corner/3YnLEYkK-followup-mordekaiser-update) about Mordekaiser, and [its followup](http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/developer-corner/lkYA6sYZ-followup-solo-lane-mordekaiser-update).
Statikk (NA)
: [INTRO] James "Statikk" Bach - Champion Update Design Lead
> Don't just simply change a champion, but rather enhance who they are. How do you feel about the Poppy rework who not only lost her initial identity of being a fighter/diver in favor of being a tank (with the single biggest weapon afaik), but also had massively negative feedback on the PBE, and now an excruciatingly low win rate? As a quick comment on that topic, please learn to delay champion releases, or never put them on the PBE during a holiday again... I think Solcrushed pushed like 3 or 4 sets of changes at most for a complete rework. > and the ones we plan to release in the coming year. We know that there are a few batch rework like assassins and immobile mages coming, as well as champions like Taric and Shen, but do you have plans for standalone mini-reworks, like changing Singed's passive for instance, or other small mechanical updates? --- I've also had a lot of fun asking (roughly) the same generic questions to all the devs, so you're the next one on the list : - What is in your opinion the best/worst niche in LoL right now in term of design (split push, mobile mages, tank supports, poke supports, all in mid laners, AP junglers, etc.)? - Who are your favorite current rioters and ex-rioters? - What would you say is the biggest pros and cons of the current way PBE functions? - Favorite party game? - What design from another game would you like to see in LoL (even if unrealistic) and why? This can be either a complete concept (like a DotA heroes or something), or a systemic one (like Aghs or maybe an ammo system on buildings or pickups, or first-person something... anything really). - If everything was to be turned into ice cream, what flavor would be your favorite LoL champion?
: That sadly holds a lot truth in it. The Question of where to draw the line between supporting a companie/prduct one likes and avoiding to idirectly support a bigger corporation that one dislikes is a very difficult one indeed.
Personally, I find it insanely easy : Is the company you're paying getting money from it? Then, you're doing it right. If Riot gets money from you buying skins, and you want to buy skins because riot is a nice guy, then buy skins. You shouldn't give a shit about who owns Humpty Dumpty if you think their chips taste nice, and boycotting a new indie game because it's produced has done shady deal before will only kill the good dev behind the game. Instead, buy the game, and file a support ticket/send a email to the company about your concerns regarding their producer. If you're wrong in hating them, they will tell you, and if they didn't know about it, they now do. Heck, you can even do the same at elections. If there's a really great politician in your county but he's republican and you hate republicans. Just vote for him, and complain to him about the republican values. TL;DR : Judge an entity/person by its values, not whoever controls them.
: the problem is, even if it's only monetary, supporting riot with money means indirectly supporting tencent with money as their dividends will go up. So while it does not mean that riot themselfs are bad, they have a deal with the devil, and supporting them with money will leave a bitter taste seeing as it also supports tencent.
Sure... but that's one hell of a slippery slope when ou realize that a lot of big corporations have at least soem level of shady business and all control a major part of the world. If you start boycotting Nexon, PWE and Tencent, for instance, you're probably boycotting over 50-75% of the multiplayer games published in Asia. If you decide to boycott GreeManGaming who occasionally deals with grey market keys, that means you also have to boycott the many publishers who sell them keys, like Square Enix, Bethesda, and many others. At the end of the day, you should contribute to companies you like, and not contribute to those you don't like. Don't try to find where the revenue propagates or you'll be disappointed.
: from what i can tell...you are garen, youre whole team is present in the lobby. karthus and caitlyn have left the lobby and the the other three are present. I am pretty sure when there is an official afk there is like an x or something on them.
1. You can honor everyone, so no AFK (except maybe yourself, but it's hard to be both AFK and reach that screen) 2. Garen is Orange, you are Garen. 3. Karthus and Caitlyn are grey and should've left the lobby. Now, the issue is that the grey color is messed up and doesn't actually reflect who left the lobby.
Kürama (NA)
: Riot isn't concerned with Tencent or China to that extent. They're concerned about developing high-quality game(s) which players would love. Their affiliation with Tencent is pretty much monetary, in that, They sell their shares in order to fund projects and investments in LoL and their future titles. That's it, nothing more. While Tencent may own Riot now, they don't control Riot. All Tencent cares about is dividends from their investments in Riot. As long as Riot is making money doing whatever they do, Tencent doesn't give two shits. Wanting Riot to cut their ties with Tencent (which they can, they can simply buy the shares back) is stupid. Like I said earlier, Riot cares about funding projects and investments which will benefit **US, the players** and to do that they may require more funding to carry it out efficiently. Yes, with the profits they make they more than likely have enough funds, but rather not dip into the profits too much, to be safe. Boycotting buying RP or Riot isn't going to get them to cut their ties, in fact it'll be enforcing the decision of them selling their shares in the first place as if the money isn't coming from the customers, it'll need to come from elsewhere. Either way, even if some players do decide to do this, it'll be the minority which wouldn't have a significant enough impact for them to change their minds anyway.
> Their affiliation with Tencent is pretty much monetary, in that, They sell their shares in order to fund projects and investments in LoL and their future titles. That's it, nothing more. It goes a bit deeper than that with being able to publish "as a chinese" and stuff like that, but it indeed is only monetary.
Show more

ploki122

Level 82 (NA)
Lifetime Upvotes
Create a Discussion