y0r1ck (NA)
: > [{quoted}](name=theTyger,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=uBm72eF3,comment-id=001b0000,timestamp=2019-04-13T17:58:23.559+0000) > > Some people can't. Suicide is a very real problem that people really do go through. Do you really want to be the last straw for someone? Do you want to be that last thing someone just can't handle? If someone is standing on a bridge ready to jump, are you going to be the one that pushes them off? > > Regardless, Riot Games clearly doesn't want their game to have any part of that and I applaud them for it. If I have to choose between forcing a little civility on people and people occasionally committing suicide because people in my game were assholes to them, I'm going with the civility. I appreciate the thought, but the reality is not everyone knows what that's like. And for someone who hasn't experienced it first hand, it's difficult to grasp the distress some words can cause. That's why I don't think people are wrong for feeling offended, just that it's their choice and they shouldn't force the consequences on other people. But I also see the argument that says we should be civil to each other at all times. I think we need both, but of course the people at extremes of either thought school will be the loudest. I really appreciate you trying to explain instead of just insulting the guy.
Well said. I always appreciate civil discourse. :)
: ***
I'm confused. First you complain that some people, "can't take it." (And by "it" one assumes you mean you being an asshole). But then you say no one cares about what anyone is saying in game? You can't have it both ways. If people are reporting other players for toxic behavior, then yes they absolutely do care what is said to them in game.
: > [{quoted}](name=theTyger,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=uBm72eF3,comment-id=001b0000,timestamp=2019-04-13T17:58:23.559+0000) > > Some people can't. Suicide is a very real problem that people really do go through. Do you really want to be the last straw for someone? Do you want to be that last thing someone just can't handle? If someone is standing on a bridge ready to jump, are you going to be the one that pushes them off? > > Regardless, Riot Games clearly doesn't want their game to have any part of that and I applaud them for it. If I have to choose between forcing a little civility on people and people occasionally committing suicide because people in my game were assholes to them, I'm going with the civility. Yes. It's not my fault that person killed themselves because of something I said. Period. And I feel the same when someone says something to me. Get over it. Its words. They carry no weight and do no damage.
Words do matter. For example, science has recently discovered rejection impacts people more heavily and for longer than physical injury does. And you may not think it's your fault but, fortunately, your opinion in this doesn't matter. Riot wants to foster a gaming environment that is inclusive to everyone. If you don't like it, tough. You can take your tougher than thou attitude elsewhere. :)
y0r1ck (NA)
: > [{quoted}](name=Royoten,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=uBm72eF3,comment-id=0019,timestamp=2019-04-13T15:10:59.162+0000) > > Honestly, with how easy it is to block other players' chat, pings, and emojis, toxicity is so easy to block. I don't see why any bans should occur out of toxic behaviour. I guess I'd understand chat restriction, but banning is harsh for something you can block so easily. Furthermore, "keep yourself safe" may abbreviate to "kys," but an automated system cannot understand intention, and someone using it to mean the words getting banned is ridiculous. So if Riot decides not to censor the phrase, what does that mean for future cases where people substitute harmless words for harmful words? What if they do censor it? Pros and cons on both sides, I was like you at first but now I'm not sure if I know enough to decide what's the right decision.
: Waaaaaaaa! Waaaaaaa! I cant handle being insulted! Mommyriot! Fucking soft ass people, there should be no banned words or phrases. Its words and phrases. Get over it.
> [{quoted}](name=TheGlowingMan,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=uBm72eF3,comment-id=001b,timestamp=2019-04-13T17:26:27.772+0000) > > Waaaaaaaa! Waaaaaaa! I cant handle being insulted! Mommyriot! Fucking soft ass people, there should be no banned words or phrases. Its words and phrases. Get over it. Some people can't. Suicide is a very real problem that people really do go through. Do you really want to be the last straw for someone? Do you want to be that last thing someone just can't handle? If someone is standing on a bridge ready to jump, are you going to be the one that pushes them off? Regardless, Riot Games clearly doesn't want their game to have any part of that and I applaud them for it. If I have to choose between forcing a little civility on people and people occasionally committing suicide because people in my game were assholes to them, I'm going with the civility.
Mortdog (NA)
: Summoner's Rift balance changes coming Patch 9.8
Rioter Comments
: Well, that's what happens when your definition of "Hispanic" is based on prejudice. Fun Fact: Mexico isn't the only "Hispanic" nation with the only "Hispanic" dialect.
Fun Fact: My daughter is 1/4 Mexican (her mother is 1/2).
: Well, that's what happens when your definition of "Hispanic" is based on prejudice. Fun Fact: Mexico isn't the only "Hispanic" nation with the only "Hispanic" dialect.
I use Hispanic specifically because it is more generic. To me, it feels racist to assume someone is from Mexico simply because they look like they're from South America.
: > [{quoted}](name=theTyger,realm=NA,application-id=6kFXY1kR,discussion-id=F4icoO6M,comment-id=0000000000000000,timestamp=2019-03-22T01:49:42.614+0000) > > I'd wondered about that. Do you have any evidence to back that up, or is it more of a hunch? Hunch. My comment was a while ago and I later found out that it's supposed to be a warped version of a Brazilian Portuguese accent instead. *That's* evidenced by her voice actress being Brazilian and also doing her BR Portuguese VO. There are features coming from a Spanish accent as well, which is I think what threw the wrench in.
Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to reply. :) I could buy Brazilian Portuguese (mostly because I've never heard it). XD The accent sounds far too melodic and almost sing-songy to be Hispanic or Mexican.
: Atrocious to listen to is what it is.
Upvoted for sheer humor factor.
: It's a made-up accent anyway, meant to sound tribal.
I'd wondered about that. Do you have any evidence to back that up, or is it more of a hunch?
: Neeko's dialect
I have no idea how people keep saying Hispanic. I grew up in area where there were more Hispanic people than white people and to me she sounds nothing like anything I encountered. She sounds more like someone from Wisconsin than she does like someone from south of the border. To me, anyway.
Yoojin (NA)
: > [{quoted}](name=theTyger,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=A7w5EzI3,comment-id=00010000000000000001,timestamp=2019-02-26T19:43:36.155+0000) > Just because your browser's default search engine is Google doesn't mean it uses Google's search engine to resolve URL's. That'd be like you hopping in a jet airplane and flying to Mt. Fiji & using the plane's jet exhaust to melt snow into water every time you got thirsty rather than just getting a glass of water from your kitchen. I think a more apt/simpler explanation is this: Google is like a phone book DNS is like a phone service Using Google every time you want to go to league of legends is like looking up a number in a phone book every single time you want to dial a number rather than just dialing it from memory.
> [{quoted}](name=Yoojin,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=A7w5EzI3,comment-id=000100000000000000010000,timestamp=2019-02-26T19:59:13.219+0000) > > I think a more apt/simpler explanation is this: > > Google is like a phone book > DNS is like a phone service > > Using Google every time you want to go to league of legends is like looking up a number in a phone book every single time you want to dial a number rather than just dialing it from memory. Well said. I'd like to amend it a bit though. DNS would better like your phone book & service. As often as not, your computer already knows the ip address and can just directly reach out. Other times it needs to go to a DNS server & do a key value search similar to a phone book. Google search, on the other hand, uses EXTREMELY complicated math & computer science algorithms to find results. You need math beyond calculus to even understand the concepts. In my head, it'd be like using a nuclear powered submarine to power a pneumatic hammer to hang paintings on your wall. Could you do it that way? Probably. Would it make any sense? No.
Copic (NA)
: > [{quoted}](name=NepgearDesu,realm=EUW,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=A7w5EzI3,comment-id=000100000001,timestamp=2019-02-26T17:57:58.105+0000) > > "leagueoflegends.com", as the previous user stated, doesn't go through any search engine since it's part of a URL, aka a direct gateway to a website. So it isn't part of your statistics. > > Riot Games' revenue increased steadily until 2017 (up to USD 2.1 billion, it would seem), then dropped some in 2018 (I found both "21% decrease" and "USD 700 million less", but it's still a minus nonetheless). Your data and this fact don't correlate, so either Riot Games' reports are flawed and the tax adjustment will hurt, or your method isn't accurate. I find the latter a lot more reasonable. https://i.imgur.com/xWw7hlb.png
> [{quoted}](name=Copic,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=A7w5EzI3,comment-id=0001000000010000,timestamp=2019-02-26T17:59:43.793+0000) > > https://i.imgur.com/xWw7hlb.png Willful ignorance OP. :(
Copic (NA)
: > No.. if you type in a URL your browser goes instantly there. No Google, no Bing, no search engine involvement period. ?????? Check this out buddy. https://i.imgur.com/xWw7hlb.png Depending on what your search engine is, no matter how you look something up, it gets sent through that search engine. Please educate yourself.
> [{quoted}](name=Copic,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=A7w5EzI3,comment-id=0001000000000000,timestamp=2019-02-26T17:52:07.006+0000) > > ?????? > > Check this out buddy. > > https://i.imgur.com/xWw7hlb.png > > Depending on what your search engine is, no matter how you look something up, it gets sent through that search engine. Please educate yourself. Lol. What!?!?!? Are you trying to be Donald Trump's protege? Look, I've got nothing against someone being clueless as to how the internet works. Most people are. But this is ridiculous. Please see my previous post. Or, better yet, educate yourself. Just because your browser's default search engine is Google doesn't mean it uses Google's search engine to resolve URL's. That'd be like you hopping in a jet airplane and flying to Mt. Fiji & using the plane's jet exhaust to melt snow into water every time you got thirsty rather than just getting a glass of water from your kitchen.
Copic (NA)
: > [{quoted}](name=DrCyanide,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=A7w5EzI3,comment-id=0001,timestamp=2019-02-26T17:31:34.014+0000) > > The problem with using Google Trends - it requires people to *search* for the information. > > You don't need to *search* for League of Legends. Remembering "leagueoflegends.com" is as easy as remembering the name of the game. Go to Twitch and you know it'll always be in the top 5 most viewed games. You don't need to look up "League of Legends stats website" after you remember "na.op.gg" or "league of graphs". > > You see a similar trend line with Facebook, Microsoft, Blizzard Entertainment, etc, etc. You typing "League of legends.com" is still being searched under Google's search engine.
> [{quoted}](name=Copic,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=A7w5EzI3,comment-id=00010000,timestamp=2019-02-26T17:42:00.391+0000) > > You typing "League of legends.com" is still being searched under Google's search engine. No, it's not. Your computer looks at an internal table to see if it can resolve the URL into an ip address. If you've visited the site, the ip address is already there & the browser then knows where to send the http request. If the ip address isn't there, the computer looks up the ip address on a DNS server. It doesn't do a Google search. That's a completely separate technology.
: nevermind just re-editing this comment cause I found out you buy the first skin that the second skin goes down to 1001 rp to purchase as a bundle.
> [{quoted}](name=WarHero54,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=yGi9B3Yn,comment-id=0000,timestamp=2018-11-28T06:55:02.414+0000) > > nevermind just re-editing this comment cause I found out you buy the first skin that the second skin goes down to 1001 rp to purchase as a bundle. Thanks! That worked! Wish they would have made that more obvious. :-/
Rioter Comments
: So with all the outrage going on Boards with Riot's latest changes...
As a casual player, I find that your arguments would hold a lot more weight if they weren't drowned in so much salt... My two cents.
: Fuck this game, I'm actually just done with the fact that you people at Riot are beyond incompetent
Based on the title of your post, I'm not sure Rito will miss you...
Eunson (NA)
: There are spoilers every where. I had to get my girlfriend to open the games for me and scroll down because the score is at the top of the video... Even while doing this I still spoiled one series by leaving my computer for a bit and my screen saver minimized the game to display the series final score (displayed above the video. Just make a intro page where you can select spoilers or no spoilers so you can view the games without accidentally seeing the giant size of who wins... not hard.
This please :) {{sticker:slayer-pantheon-thumbs}}
: I am terribly pissed off. For all world cup I have been doing crazy workarounds to avoid getting spoiled, including hiding parts of my screen with my hand or looking away while clicking on links through peripheral vision. Everything here wants to spoil you, including : youtube banner on LoL vod when you pause a game, video length, announcing the total number of games when there are potential tie-breakers (talking about "internal" Riot Games spoilers here) I figured that the best way of watching the finals would be through the rebroadcast so I avoid all those kinds of problems NO, THE RESULT IS ON FRONT PAGE, NEXT TO THE "WATCH LIVE" LINK THANKS I mean, seriously. Riot games is doing great around e-sport, but you have to acknowledge the fact that for global events, at least half of the viewers are not going to watch it live. And that most games lose their taste when you know the result.
Agreed. Well said. :( Particularly on THEIR OWN WEBSITE. Going to lolesports.com shouldn't instantly ruin games I haven't seen. Particularly for World's!!!
ValDrax (NA)
: That really pissed me off too. I set my alarm at 1:30 am so I could wake up and watch live, but I didn't wake. First chance I had I went to the website to watch vods and try to not look at anything anywhere online, just going straight to that vods page, but that big white picture was really fu- hard to miss. I wantedI to believe the picture was of both teams taken right before the games, but I knew... And despite this being my first season with LOL, I cried at that end result.
I think the thing that is the most frustrating is that they hide match results in other places on the website. I don't get it. Why would you hide results on the vod's page, but not the main landing page where everyone goes first?
: Guys the world's was based in China, we did the same exact thing to them during world's when it was hosted here. It's the nature of having an international tournament across the globe in a central location. I agree it sucks to see spoilers, but I'm still going to watch the games because I may know the result, but I wanna see the in game decisions that led to that result. Also, are you really surprised by World's results? If you stayed up til 430 and watched Fnatic shit the bed in Game 1 you would know the result. Just saying.
My apologies, but I fail to see your point. How hard would it be for Riot to add some kind of cover up that you have to click through to see spoilers on the main esports landing page. Particularly given that they already do it on the vods page. Personally, I think it's a little silly that they have spoiler protector's on the vod page and not the landing page since I'm almost certain most people access the vod page THROUGH the landing page. That's like giving someone bug repellant after they get back from camping. I was surprised, Fnatic was the first seed coming out of the same group IG did. Also, I'm a parent. I can't just stay up until 4:30 in the morning anymore. Personally, I won't be watching this World's finals. Rito has lost these eyeballs for those matches.
: Yup, riots decision to make avoiding spoilers as hard as humanly possible is absolutely infuriating. I did my best but also slipped up and saw them a couple of times too. Super frustrating. Games don't start till 3am in NA, at least wait for the rebroadcast to finish before plastering spoilers everywhere in the NA site and client.
ikr. It was seriously 9:30 in the morning when I visited the site. I mean, wtf. Who has had a chance to even watch any of the matches at that point?
Rioter Comments
Awf Meta (NA)
: > MMR system seems to recognize you're in the wrong elo and start rewarding you with a ton of LP per win and/or letting you skip divisions entirely. As far as I know, it is time based. You have a certain amount of games with a volatile rating. The problem is, this is a team game. Winning heavily relies on your team. So if you happen to get bad teams during your volatile period, it becomes essentially a wasted opportunity. Maybe, win streaks can trigger this volatile period. I'm not sure. The point I'm trying to make is that the MMR system does not account for your individual performance in a game. A "challenger" player that loses a 1 v 5 will lose MMR. A "bronze" player that loses a 1 v 5 will lose MMR. Both will lose the same amount of MMR.
To that last point, I'm not so sure. For example, in another post someone talked about going on an 18 winning streak without triggering any of the LP gains or division skipping mechanics I mentioned earlier. Even with that aside, I've gone on a 9 game winning streak at one point without even hitting promos. I think context might have something to do with it. My 9 game winning streak, for example, followed a huge portion of losses where I'd been at Silver 5. So, what was probably happening what that my MMR had dropped to mid or even low bronze and that was wreaking havoc on my LP gains/losses. I do tend to wonder if Riot has some other systems in place that watch actions per minute, mouse accuracy, or something(s) along those lines. It makes a lot of sense that they would since, if MMR strives to keep games at roughly a 50% win rate for players of similar rating, it's entirely possible to win 18 games in a row just on random chance.
Awf Meta (NA)
: Riot would have to come up with an individual rating system that didn't rely on our team mates. Or Limit accounts to 1 per person.
That's what the MMR system is already there for. And, if what I've gotten from high elo players is correct, it actually does a pretty good job when people aren't actively trying to cheat it. Even when a high elo player buys a very low elo account, it doesn't take very long before the MMR system seems to recognize you're in the wrong elo and start rewarding you with a ton of LP per win and/or letting you skip divisions entirely.
Caekie (NA)
: You have trampled over the old design philosophies of league, and the imbalance they prevented
What's the point in balancing items in the game when it's ok for people from high elo to randomly come play in low elo. Please see threads [here](https://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/esports/0HxH7lOd-newsflash-riot-doesnt-care-about-its-low-elo-players) and [here](https://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/player-behavior-moderation/PUKt4zsd-why-smurfing-is-more-toxic-than-flaming-inting-or-trolling). ie The game can't be balanced if match making isn't balanced.
: ooor they just want to play on another account?
I've no problem with having multiple accounts. I have three. I have a problem with people who specifically find ways to play in elo's far below where they belong.
Rioter Comments
: > [{quoted}](name=theTyger,realm=NA,application-id=9hBQwnEU,discussion-id=Aw2tsRMm,comment-id=0003000000000000,timestamp=2018-03-15T22:52:41.569+0000) > > I think that is an excellent question! For me, when I go to file a ticket, I go and look at op.gg. If they're crap on one set of champs for several seasons in a row and then out of nowhere switch to a completely new champ they've never played before and are spontaneiously gods on them, to me that's a pretty good indication something funny is going on there. Okay so correct me if I'm wrong, but this could be summarized as, "looking for sudden changes in play patterns to determine if the account could have switched owners?" > That being said, in this instance we have someone admitting to smurfing (and a very public facing Riot employee no less) and keeping an account in a far, far lower elo than he should be playing in for a month at a time (which, from what I know of the MMR system shouldn't be possible without some TOS violating shenanigans). > > Best case scenario, you've got a Riot employee who is playing in an elo he knows he doesn't belong in and is doing it with the stated purpose of, "crushing kids." Yes, public admission of a wrongdoing should certainly warrant at least an investigation by Riot's Player Behavior team. > The thing that surprises me the most is the lack of outrage in the community. I don't understand how people aren't pissed off. I'm with you, but I think I also know why. Lots of people in the community have smurf accounts, some have many smurf accounts. It's a lot harder to motivate people to push for a loophole to be fixed if they themselves are taking advantage of the loophole too. Also there are some vaguely legitimate reasons to smurf, for example an unnamed user that I know of has smurfed and played non-carrying roles in order to help newer players learn the game, and to counterbalance for all of the mean smurfs that exist in the early levels. This user does not do anything to directly make the team win the game, but will support newer players in making plays and will coach them on strategies to get better.
I like a lot of what you say. First and foremost, yes. Looking for drastic changes in play patterns. With the recent surge in AI, this should be more doable than ever. Maybe don't leave the final say to AI, but at least let it point the Behavior Team in the right direction. There are smurf accounts and there are smurf accounts. I have three different accounts myself, but each one was originally set up to let me try a new role in ranked without hurting my main account. All three accounts are roughly the same elo and all of them were started by me at level 1. None are purchased and if I'm playing in ranked, I'm doing my best to climb regardless of what role I'm playing. I also tend to wonder if the people most affected by people high elo players invading lower elo's might be less represented in the forums. ie Casual silver and bronze players may not be as likely to participate in the forums.
: {{sticker:slayer-pantheon-thumbs}} How would you go about attempting to detect smurfs? Just out of curiosity, because wanting it solved is all well and good, but being able to accurately identify and punish accounts belonging to the same person is significantly harder. I have my own ideas which I'll share later, but I'd like to get your thoughts first before I corrupt your thinking with my own ideas.
I think that is an excellent question! For me, when I go to file a ticket, I go and look at op.gg. If they're crap on one set of champs for several seasons in a row and then out of nowhere switch to a completely new champ they've never played before and are spontaneiously gods on them, to me that's a pretty good indication something funny is going on there. That being said, in this instance we have someone admitting to smurfing (and a very public facing Riot employee no less) and keeping an account in a far, far lower elo than he should be playing in for a month at a time (which, from what I know of the MMR system shouldn't be possible without some TOS violating shenanigans). Best case scenario, you've got a Riot employee who is playing in an elo he knows he doesn't belong in and is doing it with the stated purpose of, "crushing kids." The thing that surprises me the most is the lack of outrage in the community. I don't understand how people aren't pissed off.
Mig89 (NA)
: I dont agree but we dont have to. I see nothing wrong with staying in a rank if you dodge your promos. Liek Halcyon dweller said youll be playing higher ranks anyways. He could just play a couple games a month and never really raise the rank of the account. who knows. I only commented because it seemed like youre trying to make a mountain out of a molehill in this situation. If he wants to play silvers nothing is going to stop him and its not against the rules unless he bought the account or is throwing games on purpose.
> [{quoted}](name=Mig89,realm=NA,application-id=9hBQwnEU,discussion-id=Aw2tsRMm,comment-id=0001000000000000000000010000,timestamp=2018-03-15T19:49:01.169+0000) > I see nothing wrong with staying in a rank if you dodge your promos. Certain behaviors are toxic and ruin the game for other players. Trolling is toxic behavior. It's not fun to play a game when there's a player on your team purposely trying to screw people over. Flaming people in chat is toxic behavior. It's not fun to play when someone decides to curse repeatedly at you in chat. Smurfing is toxic behavior (yes, I said it). It's not fun to play against someone who is worlds better than you and is only there to enjoy "crushing kids" he knows don't have the skill to match him. In a lot of ways it's worse than the other two behaviors. People troll and flame a lot of the time in reaction to things that happen in games. Smurfing is by its nature always premeditated. You have to plan ahead to be an asshat and, often times, it involves other behaviors that are in direct violation of the TOS. ie purchasing an account, purposely throwing matches, even dodging is technically a violation of the rules and you can get a penalty for doing it (ie being put in a lower priority queue). Personally, I think there needs to be much harsher and much more visible penalties for working the system to stay in an elo you don't belong in. > If he wants to play silvers nothing is going to stop him and its not against the rules unless he bought the account or is throwing games on purpose. A good ban would stop him. So would other punishments that more directly affect his career. And all the behaviors described in this post that would keep him in low elo are all punishable offenses in this game. I think he should suffer a suspension from employment and be forced to issue a public apology. Besides, isn't that argument a bit like saying, "welp, people gonna commit murder no matter what we do, so what's the point of laws?"
: > [{quoted}](name=theTyger,realm=NA,application-id=9hBQwnEU,discussion-id=Aw2tsRMm,comment-id=,timestamp=2018-03-15T04:13:32.774+0000) > > There is nothing as frustrating, aggravating, and humiliating as having some random smurf on the enemy team run around and ROFL stomp everyone on my team, myself included, as if we were little better than bots. With you 100% on this. It ruins the game for everyone who plays with/against the smurf, and it ruins the competitive integrity of the game.
Thank you! I greatly appreciate your taking the time to comment. <3 {{sticker:galio-happy}}
MrHaZeYo (NA)
: Maybe he's not purposely losing? Maybe he just isn't hard carrying? I think you're looking way to much into it.
Except that doesn't fit with what he's saying. He's saying he's purposely going into a league three full tiers below his own to "crush kids." This clearly doesn't promote a fun, fair, or even competitive gaming environment. It's just one guy going into games where people are trying to climb the ladder and stomping all over them because he can. Seriously. WTF. It'd be like Clayton Kershaw finding some loophole that let him go back and play Division 3 college baseball just so he could stroke his own ego by destroying everyone.
Mig89 (NA)
: OR.... He dodges promos. Thats all it would take to not actually climb. Put the tin foil hat away bro.
Well said. But that's still exactly what I'm talking about. Riot's TOS and MMR system are supposed to keep the game fair and fun for everyone. ie You're not supposed to be facing Diamond players in Silver. And dodging games can still definitely earn you a penalty. People who purposely subvert or otherwise circumvent the system for their own personal gain at the expense of others should be banned.
: Matter of fact my father and mother were in the military so I always get told and still do today the skinny on what to do and what not to do etc. I appreciate you for being generous and informational with your response to me possibly joining in the near future. Yeah, I've been told to never take the words from the recruiters' words as gospel and always come to the meeting with tons of questions before joining such as GI bill, benefits, etc. My point in which when I reread my own response kinda came off as rude per se which wasn't my intention! "Here's the thing, Diamond players who start new accounts don't typically end up in Silver during placements. And even if they do, they don't spend a month there. The MMR system figures out they don't belong there pretty quick and they end up skipping divisions. That is, unless, they purposely lose matches, go afk, etc." - Great point, as far as "The MMR system figures out they don't belong there pretty quick and they end up skipping divisions" - Now, IDK if the players that I encountered did, in fact, stay in Silver or moved up but I personally got frustrated starting a new season with my placements or just random games in ranked facing against players that were Diamond a year ago or decayed or lost or got boosted who knows!? However, the ranked system is flawed in which I think 70% of players will agree that it pretty much sucks; facing Gold players if you're in Bronze or Silver makes 0 sense( Can't get to Gold but I can face them?). I won about 18 games in a row 2 years ago and never got the option to "skip a division" when I was in Silver 3/4, now imagine not going on an 18 game winning streak but instead, you lose a game here and there. The MMR system is not a very good standard because (Not 100% sure) but it's been quoted by numerous players and maybe Riot themselves the MMR system doesn't matter in the slightest. My point being is if it's not Zireane it's someone else whos losing games on purpose because if you're Plat-Gold-Diamond and you know for a fact you're not going pro you might as well decay on purpose to say Silver if your Diamond and "destroy kids" because why not, it's funnier and you win more games. It's very similar to say Halo back in the day where you lose 20 games on purpose only to say "boost" from the depth and win 40 games within a short span of time. IDK what to tell you, sir.
Well said. I remember one season where due to some weird MMR issues, going on a 9 game winning streak didn't even get me to promos. I think I was in Silver 5 at the time. I think context is important. At that time it was preseason, I'd been playing a lot of new stuff, I was still relatively new to the game, and I think I'd accidently dropped my MMR by a huge margin. But, because I was in Silver, it wasn't enough to drop me back down to Bronze. I also tend to wonder if Riot's MMR system secretly also watches for things like actions per minute or percentage of hit skill shots or something. ie Going on an amazing win rate doesn't start auto-jumping you through divisions, but if you have a high win rate and a certain number of APM or something, then you get auto-jumped. The issue I have with Zirene is that he is a Riot employee, and a very public facing one. Riot's TOS are supposed to help keep the game fair and fun for everyone. Facing off against an opponent way better than you isn't fair or fun. But, with the TOS you have some agency when this happens. If someone seems like they're smurfing, like I said, I take screenshots of the game and their op.gg and I submit a ticket. And I have seen results from doing this. But I still run into people doing this. And when an on air broadcaster openly admits to doing something that would almost certainly require him to break the TOS, to me it just tells everyone that it's totally ok to do. And that's not ok.
: What's stopping let's say Challenger, Diamond, plat etc type of players from creating a new account and having to play from the bottom up? Long story short, we all will get those "smurfs" in our games from time to time. With your and I quote - "I am not a good player. I have never, even briefly, been higher than Silver 2 and I've never finished a season higher than Silver 3. I'll never be a pro player and I'll be lucky to ever hit something as lowly as Gold." Means that even with or without these setbacks your limits have been reached and you will most likely stay in Silver for the rest of our gaming career. Counter-argument would be "I want to have fun" really has 1 simple answer - normals. " I was serving in the military before, during, and after 9/11. I was overseas protecting American interests abroad literally before you hit middle school" First I want to say Thank you, good sir, for serving the military(I'm possibly joining myself here soon) but that really has no weight in the world of video games. Simpler terms, no one really cares. Hell, look at the economy and what we do and for our own veterans of this world/country.......nothing.
PS Whether or not I ever make it out of Silver is irrelevant. The match making system is in place to make sure that matches are more or less even. There's even a version of it in normals, though it's not as strict. It sucks to go into a game and not be able to do anything because there's a player whose just vastly better than anyone else on either team. Hence why Riot's TOS aim to prevent account sharing in the first place. Also, on my mentioning my vet status. My point is you never know who you're playing with/against. Personally, I don't like being referred to as "kid." Particularly not by someone more than 10 years my junior and especially when I was in harms way protecting his freedoms before he was old enough to shave. I'd find it just as insulting if I were Phd recipient, famous celebrity, or Congressmen. And there are examples of all three who play LoL and who are, in all likelihood, below Gold elo.
: What's stopping let's say Challenger, Diamond, plat etc type of players from creating a new account and having to play from the bottom up? Long story short, we all will get those "smurfs" in our games from time to time. With your and I quote - "I am not a good player. I have never, even briefly, been higher than Silver 2 and I've never finished a season higher than Silver 3. I'll never be a pro player and I'll be lucky to ever hit something as lowly as Gold." Means that even with or without these setbacks your limits have been reached and you will most likely stay in Silver for the rest of our gaming career. Counter-argument would be "I want to have fun" really has 1 simple answer - normals. " I was serving in the military before, during, and after 9/11. I was overseas protecting American interests abroad literally before you hit middle school" First I want to say Thank you, good sir, for serving the military(I'm possibly joining myself here soon) but that really has no weight in the world of video games. Simpler terms, no one really cares. Hell, look at the economy and what we do and for our own veterans of this world/country.......nothing.
You make a good point and I greatly appreciate your well thought out response. However, here's what Zirene seems to indicate. His statements suggest he has repeatedly played in Silver for as long as a month at a time with the stated purpose of, "crushing kids." Here's the thing, Diamond players who start new accounts don't typically end up in Silver during placements. And even if they do, they don't spend a month there. The MMR system figures out they don't belong there pretty quick and they end up skipping divisions. That is, unless, they purposely lose matches, go afk, etc. The point is, there should be no legitimate way for a Diamond player to repeatedly end up in Silver, to say nothing of them being there for a solid month. As far as joining the military goes, really do your homework before signing any paperwork. Doing recruiting duty can very literally make or BREAK your career, so a lot of recruiters can get a bit unscrupulous. At least that's the way it was when I was in. So be very careful. Also, I don't know if it's still possible, but you used to be able to visit bases with your delayed entry card. If you can, try to visit a base and talk to people who are doing the job you want to do. They can provide a lot of insight to what's it's really like. The good, bad, and the ugly. Best of luck to you. :)
MrHaZeYo (NA)
: The point was they don't care if you have multiple accounts, as long as you're not boosting.
They do care if you account share (or purchase an account). They also care if you purposely throw matches. Both violate Riot's TOS. And those are the only two ways a Diamond player repeatedly ends up in Silver (again, with the stated purpose of "crushing kids").
Mig89 (NA)
: Where did he mention buying an account. I saw the interview and dont remember him saying so.
Let's start with what he did say. He seemed to indicate that he has played in Silver for a month at a time several times over the course of his LoL career and that he does it to "crush kids." So how does a Diamond player end up in Silver on purpose? He either buys an account, or levels up a new one and purposely sandbags, ie Trolls, to end up in an elo significantly lower than where he belongs. Both violate Riot's TOS.
Slythion (NA)
: Is smurfing really *technically* against the TOS or is it just boosting?
I think it depends. If you mean by smurfing that you simply have multiple accounts some of which are lower elo than your main accounts simply because you don't play them as much, then no. However, if you buy an account and/or purposely lose games/work the system to keep yourself in low elo so you can "crush kids," then yes, you're violating Riot's TOS.
MrHaZeYo (NA)
: Except Riot doesn't care if you smurf. They care if you boost. Pro players and major streamers all have multipal accounts, and to get them all to D+ they would of needed to start from the ground up at some point.
I have multiple accounts. But I've worked with semi-pro players in the past. You may not start in Diamond when you play a brand new account, but you don't start in Silver typically either. And even if you did, you sure as hell wouldn't be there for a full month. Particularly while you were "crushing kids."
Rioter Comments
: Dark Harvest wording
Waaaayyyy too much ambiguity in the game right now. That's more than a bit of fail on your part, Rito... :(
: Electrocute OR Dark Harvest? That is the Question.... #Shakespeare
It seemed a little unclear if video was taking into account DH does nothing under 150 stacks unless you've picked up an orb in the last 20 seconds...
Engelin (NA)
: I was sooooo confused about how it worked before I tried it. At first I thought the stacks were consumed on each proc lmao.. they really need to work on the wording for the new masteries.
> [{quoted}](name=Engelin,realm=NA,application-id=yrc23zHg,discussion-id=klQtgeeT,comment-id=0001,timestamp=2017-12-06T20:20:19.714+0000) > > I was sooooo confused about how it worked before I tried it. At first I thought the stacks were consumed on each proc lmao.. they really need to work on the wording for the new masteries. Honestly, it feels like there's a lot of in game ambiguity right now that needs to be cleaned up.
Coopa123 (EUW)
: You actually decide BEFORE the match begins. Your own team composition and more importanly the enemy team composition will dictate what you should play. You even have to adjust your runes BEFORE the game begins
> [{quoted}](name=Coopa123,realm=EUW,application-id=3ErqAdtq,discussion-id=vulQqoVO,comment-id=00010000000000000000,timestamp=2017-12-15T09:47:18.285+0000) > > You actually decide BEFORE the match begins. Your own team composition and more importanly the enemy team composition will dictate what you should play. You even have to adjust your runes BEFORE the game begins [here](https://youtu.be/pPaauwI6G5s?t=4m32s). Rito says it right there in black and white. And I quote, "As Kayn you're the only champ that can fully change roles in the middle of the game." And if you go back just 30 seconds prior, they're giving you a bunch of tips on which role to **choose** based on what's going on around you.
Show more

theTyger

Level 146 (NA)
Lifetime Upvotes
Create a Discussion