Rioter Comments
: Don't Say The Word "Co-on" In League of Legends Either
I just don't understand how I did anything wrong when I clearly meant raccoon. It makes me sick how context doesn't matter. Regarding people saying "They make the line" its like yeah of course, but how am I suppose to know every word that could be bad. Oh you were never around a certain type of racist person to learn a word? Your fault. *btw we know you meant raccoon" its likes... Idk I hate being made look like the bad guy and being punished for nothing.
: You should still appeal that 2 week ban unless they provided proof of other games you should be banned for its kind of ridiculous to be punished for that
> [{quoted}](name=LogicalThinkTank,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=i87BeNyE,comment-id=0000000100000000000000010000000100000000,timestamp=2018-05-26T17:09:53.197+0000) > > You should still appeal that 2 week ban unless they provided proof of other games you should be banned for its kind of ridiculous to be punished for that im afraid to tbh If I seem like I am not thankful for the 2 week ban, I will just get banned permanently. It really sucks. I am just going to have to disable my own chat essentially so that I never say anything offensive.
: Its just fairly important to take it into context regardless, because (in my opinion) take the N-word for example if somebody said "you ni**er bitch stop fucking feeding" versus saying "aww shit my nig*a" both clearly arent allowed because the term is a form of racism, but in the first case a more severe punishment is warranted where as in the second case maybe just a warning/chat restriction. however its at the point where using certian words no matter the context is a blanket ban across the board when it shouldnt be ALSO side note: I was banned not for toxicity, but for baiting people into using racial slurs or homophobic slurs to get them banned (a long time ago I dont anymore) but back then I did it as a point proven to riot and the community that I deserved a punishment sure, because I was baiting people, but riot never did anything for the people I baited who were banned, I even asked riot in a support ticket to unban them and saw a post one of those people made, and riot had stated the same issue here that in essence they shouldve known better, that not knowing, or being baited doesnt matter because they still used the slur. so yes although I wasnt toxic, I still deserved some form of punishment, those players didnt thats why Im so against the system because ive bitten the bullet to prove that its flawed, and gotten people single handely banned for saying "hey XXXX whats the homophobic term for a gay person?" in which theyd reply "do you mean Fa**ot?" and then id report them and theyd be banned. I know what I did was wrong, and accept that, but what they did wasnt wrong anyways thats over 6+ months ago now old news but same issue
> [{quoted}](name=LogicalThinkTank,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=i87BeNyE,comment-id=00000001000000000000000100000001,timestamp=2018-05-26T01:17:35.708+0000) > > Its just fairly important to take it into context regardless, because (in my opinion) take the N-word for example > if somebody said "you ni**er bitch stop fucking feeding" versus saying "aww shit my nig*a" > > both clearly arent allowed because the term is a form of racism, but in the first case a more severe punishment is warranted where as in the second case maybe just a warning/chat restriction. > > however its at the point where using certian words no matter the context is a blanket ban across the board when it shouldnt be > > ALSO side note: I was banned not for toxicity, but for baiting people into using racial slurs or homophobic slurs to get them banned (a long time ago I dont anymore) but back then I did it as a point proven to riot and the community that I deserved a punishment sure, because I was baiting people, but riot never did anything for the people I baited who were banned, I even asked riot in a support ticket to unban them and saw a post one of those people made, and riot had stated the same issue here that in essence they shouldve known better, that not knowing, or being baited doesnt matter because they still used the slur. > > so yes although I wasnt toxic, I still deserved some form of punishment, those players didnt thats why Im so against the system because ive bitten the bullet to prove that its flawed, and gotten people single handely banned for saying "hey XXXX whats the homophobic term for a gay person?" in which theyd reply "do you mean Fa**ot?" and then id report them and theyd be banned. > > I know what I did was wrong, and accept that, but what they did wasnt wrong anyways thats over 6+ months ago now old news but same issue Wow.. this just makes me so sad V_V THEY NEED TO JUST FILTER PEOPLE FROM SAYING THE WORD IN THE FIRST PLACE. I really do not understand why they won't do it. Not everyone knows every single curse word/racial slur that is unacceptable to Riot. They have a game that is played worldwide so of course people are going to say things that might be okay, or out of context to them. For how easy it would be for them to do, it is honestly dumb that they have not done it yet. I mean people can have the word "co_on" in their username still BUT it is a horrific word to them. On a side note, another Riot employee has taken over my ticket and given me a 2 week ban, and put me on the naughty list so if I say anything negative, I will be banned instantly. I am happy but I honestly wish I got no punishment and only a warning. I clearly only meant Raccoon. I feel like a child who is getting spanked, put in time out, and having their toys taken away because they said a naughty word that was never taught to them to be bad. I feel like I am being abused v-v but.. hey at least I can still play teemo in 2 weeks and make people FEEL MY PAIN!!!!!
: It takes time to look at tickets. Sorry I can't be much help at this point. But ya, your account does go back into good standing after playing neutral or positive games.
> [{quoted}](name=Periscope,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=i87BeNyE,comment-id=000000010000000000000001000000000000,timestamp=2018-05-25T22:31:38.544+0000) > > It takes time to look at tickets. Sorry I can't be much help at this point. > > But ya, your account does go back into good standing after playing neutral or positive games. My ticket is on Hold and no one is assigned to it. Should I be concerned or will I get a response after the weekend? Edit: I got a response. 2 week ban and I am on naughty list now. Mixed feelings but happy I still have my account. Rip CLASH for me for the next year though. I don't play enough anymore to gain honor super fast.
: They do manual reviews from time to time, as well as manual reviews via support tickets, and finally where players here look at them. I can agree that some context is important, but I don't think it is important for a majority of logs that I've seen shared here.
> [{quoted}](name=Periscope,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=i87BeNyE,comment-id=0000000100000000000000010000,timestamp=2018-05-25T19:45:59.754+0000) > > They do manual reviews from time to time, as well as manual reviews via support tickets, and finally where players here look at them. I can agree that some context is important, but I don't think it is important for a majority of logs that I've seen shared here. I don't know what to do. My ticket is on hold now *probably because they don't want to answer the questions I asked*. "Is it my fault that I did not know a word had a positive and negative meaning?". It really hurts when the person said that context doesn't matter. My brain/heart are just broken at this point. Do I just make a new account and shrug off losing 800$ of skins, all my champions, icons, victorious skins, and level because I was pretending to be a Racoon Superhero to make my friends/enemies laugh?
: Oh that 6 months thing was in response to ThinkTank's post. ....Happy birthday? That sucks. Hopefully you get your logs looked at and support takes that ban away.
> [{quoted}](name=Periscope,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=i87BeNyE,comment-id=0000000100000000000000000000,timestamp=2018-05-25T16:56:46.991+0000) > > Oh that 6 months thing was in response to ThinkTank's post. > > ....Happy birthday? That sucks. Hopefully you get your logs looked at and support takes that ban away. Oh sorry xD I have been honor level 0 for that long too just because I am not grinding/playing everyday.
: They're vague about most of their punishment system, as they don't want to influence how players report. They do have a hard line about hate speech. As for whether or not coon still belongs there, I think that this would be a pretty rare case, and that the word could still be used in a negative way. But, hopefully they look at other cases where this term was used and adjust their system accordingly. A little off topic, 6 months is a long time to be stuck at honor 0. You may be slightly negative, but below the threshold for being punished. As long as you're playing non-negative games, you'll advance in honor.
> [{quoted}](name=Periscope,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=i87BeNyE,comment-id=00000001000000000000,timestamp=2018-05-25T15:19:06.619+0000) > > They're vague about most of their punishment system, as they don't want to influence how players report. They do have a hard line about hate speech. As for whether or not coon still belongs there, I think that this would be a pretty rare case, and that the word could still be used in a negative way. But, hopefully they look at other cases where this term was used and adjust their system accordingly. > > A little off topic, 6 months is a long time to be stuck at honor 0. You may be slightly negative, but below the threshold for being punished. As long as you're playing non-negative games, you'll advance in hon I took a break from playing League because I was banned on my birthday. I played enough to get to gold and was waiting for summer to play again.
: While I don't think your speech was being rude, racist or offensive... that IS a pretty skeezy word. I mean, it's Cartman dude... he's racist AF. Part of the joke in that episode is that his superhero name is also an ethnic slur, and that knowing Cartman... this was intentional and he only made a racoon themed superhero so he could call himself an offensive term and pretend that he meant it innocently. That shit is TEXTBOOK Cartman. I personally would only toss a warning your way about that term often being offensive, not a ban... but I don't think Riot actually looks over games. I think a bot just saw that you were spamming a racial slur in all-caps for a good portion of the game and slapped you with a ban. Send them a ticket. If you deserve a ban for priors, you'll likely still end up banned, but if this was an isolated incident you should be fine, I'd hope.
> [{quoted}](name=The Whamboozler,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=i87BeNyE,comment-id=0023,timestamp=2018-05-25T07:59:22.477+0000) > > While I don't think your speech was being rude, racist or offensive... that IS a pretty skeezy word. I mean, it's Cartman dude... he's racist AF. Part of the joke in that episode is that his superhero name is also an ethnic slur, and that knowing Cartman... this was intentional and he only made a racoon themed superhero so he could call himself an offensive term and pretend that he meant it innocently. That shit is TEXTBOOK Cartman. > > I personally would only toss a warning your way about that term often being offensive, not a ban... but I don't think Riot actually looks over games. I think a bot just saw that you were spamming a racial slur in all-caps for a good portion of the game and slapped you with a ban. Send them a ticket. If you deserve a ban for priors, you'll likely still end up banned, but if this was an isolated incident you should be fine, I'd hope. I only knew about it from watching a few episodes of the game from a pewdiepie video tbh. I am not a heavy follower of South Park so I had no idea that it was a reference to something bad. *I thought it was just a dumb reference to batman* I do have a ticket open and I am going back and forth with a Rioter and so far this is his response "Context doesn't matter, you said a TERRIBLE word (that you didn't know was terrible) and completely deserve this punishment according to our rules" {{sticker:sg-miss-fortune}} I did not do anything but this and was honor level 0 2/3. It just makes me sick, I have been purposely watching what I say in games to not get in trouble for months, so much so that It made me nervous to say anything at times. I really want a higher up Rioter employee to look at my case, I have never had "warning" on my account, only punishments. I just don't know what to do, I clearly didn't mean anything racist but I am still getting punished v-v I truly feel lost right now. It just feels like my years of loyalty to Riot mean nothing.
: I'm from the south and i'm surprised that this is news to some of yall... That aside, I'd actually forgive you if I was riot.
> [{quoted}](name=Caretaker Exams,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=i87BeNyE,comment-id=0021,timestamp=2018-05-25T03:04:20.376+0000) > > I'm from the south and i'm surprised that this is news to some of yall... That aside, I'd actually forgive you if I was riot. I hope they can forgive me too, I might have to try to talk to a different riot employee because the person I am talking to is going **strictly** by the rules. Regarding not knowing what it could mean, I find it interesting how people are having so many different opinions on this term. It is not a widely used term to be honest or I would have heard it for sure. If I knew it was a naughty word to some people, I would have never said it in game X___________X I just don't understand how it is my fault for not knowing a racial slur, even still now I only think of a CatCoon from Don't Starve when I hear the word "Co_on".
: if this is the only game they are punishing you for (not including the other games that originally landed you on the honor level 0) or this was the "tipping point" game the punishment is absolute bullshit, riots play reform and player behavior team has gotten worse and worse over the years, it all started when they decided "we should let the community decide whats toxic" which leaves ANYTHING open to be banned, without context
> [{quoted}](name=LogicalThinkTank,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=i87BeNyE,comment-id=001b00000000,timestamp=2018-05-25T02:34:23.465+0000) > > if this is the only game they are punishing you for (not including the other games that originally landed you on the honor level 0) or this was the "tipping point" game the punishment is absolute bullshit, riots play reform and player behavior team has gotten worse and worse over the years, it all started when they decided "we should let the community decide whats toxic" which leaves ANYTHING open to be banned, without context I have been permanently banned for this one game. The only time I have EVER said anything "racial" before. (ON ACCIDENT) The reasons I was punished before and was at Honor 0 2/3: 1. Asking my team several times to FF and just being a negative nancy because I lost lane *did not insult anyone, my teammates could have muted me. I asked to ff every like 2 mins. I deserved this one I , but I wish my punishment was a little lighter because I was almost honor 4* (August Last Year) 2. I told a Veigar support who had smite to "kys" "uh seriously kys" at the start of the game because he stole my first buff and was trying to ruin the whole game for me. _Throughout the rest of the game, he stole most of my buffs and I did not say a word._ That was the only thing I said all game and did not say anything else on purpose because I did not want to get in trouble *Like the one above, I probably deserved some punishment but wish it had been lighter. I got banned for 2 weeks on my birthday because of a troll, right after my friend had bought me RP* (November Last Year) 3. Referred to my raccoon twitch skin as "The Coon" from another video game w/o realizing/knowing that some people see it as a racial slur, when I thought it just meant RACCOON LIKE A NICE PERSON ;-;. (This Month) I have spent +3000 hours on this game since season 3. It just makes me so depressed that these 3 issues are enough to get me banned out of ALL of the time I have spent loving this game. I feel like I am being abused honestly. I would like to have a honest discuss with a Riot employee to view this from my perspective, not just by their rules that do not care about the most important thing, **context**.
: Don't Say The Word "Co-on" In League of Legends Either
So far my account is going to be gone forever. I have such a hole in my heart at the moment and do not know what to do. I am going to keep fighting the ticket until I get a good answer. It just really hurts when I know I am a good person and a player that League would only benefit from and I am being treated like a racist who shouldn't be playing League. I was only trying to make my teammates and opponents laugh at my silly phrases. I honestly feel lost. Why can't I just game {{sticker:sg-soraka}}
: > [{quoted}](name=Critmaster Garen,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=i87BeNyE,comment-id=0002,timestamp=2018-05-24T07:35:26.264+0000) > > seriously? coon is a racist term? > > who even uses that? its the first time ive ever heared this in my life. ive only ever seen it used in context of the animal. > > something is seriously wrong, if you can ge punished for using a certain word, because its interpretation is automatically defaulted to an obscure, racist context, even when its clearly not used in that context. > > am i never allowed to use the word "monkey" anymore, just because its sometimes used in a racist context against black people? > > > this is honestly getting ridiculous. if its not an obviously racist word like "%%%%%%", that only has one clear interpretation, slow it down with the censorship. context matters. > > edit.: lol, cant even get my point across because of said censorship. And honestly, it's racist to even assume that when you call someone a monkey, it's somehow racist lol. If you call your friend a monkey, and he takes it racially, he's fucking racist, basically. Context matters though, of course. Sometimes, it's obvious that they meant it to be racist. And I'm very surprised you didn't know coon is used as a racist term for black people. You need to broaden your knowledge lol.
> [{quoted}](name=Telephone Booth,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=i87BeNyE,comment-id=00020004,timestamp=2018-05-24T22:54:25.486+0000) > > And honestly, it's racist to even assume that when you call someone a monkey, it's somehow racist lol. If you call your friend a monkey, and he takes it racially, he's fucking racist, basically. Context matters though, of course. Sometimes, it's obvious that they meant it to be racist. And I'm very surprised you didn't know coon is used as a racist term for black people. You need to broaden your knowledge lol. Most people don't go out of their way to learn terms that are racist though.
: Honestly, it scares me that we live in a society where you get banned from a game for saying certain words. But then again, it's just a game. It's not like you go to jail for it. THAT would be truly dystopian. As far as your question, I think of both. Depends on the context. But usually I think of both either way.
> [{quoted}](name=Telephone Booth,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=i87BeNyE,comment-id=001c,timestamp=2018-05-24T22:52:42.575+0000) > > Honestly, it scares me that we live in a society where you get banned from a game for saying certain words. But then again, it's just a game. It's not like you go to jail for it. THAT would be truly dystopian. > > As far as your question, I think of both. Depends on the context. But usually I think of both either way. It not just a game when you have 3000+ hours over 6 years and have spent over 800 dollars on it. If I don't get my account back RIP a part of my life.
: And this ladies and gentlemen is why riots punishment system is absolute garbage and considered a joke. No wonder league has such a toxic community because why should anyone care when the word "co-on" gets you banned Riot wonders what they are doing wrong, well here it is folks, NEVER have I heard that term used in a racial way or even thought it to be racist yet it is? I bet if I want outside in public and said that nobody would care because its not racist...
> [{quoted}](name=LogicalThinkTank,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=i87BeNyE,comment-id=001b,timestamp=2018-05-24T22:38:23.637+0000) > > And this ladies and gentlemen is why riots punishment system is absolute garbage and considered a joke. No wonder league has such a toxic community because why should anyone care when the word "co-on" gets you banned > > Riot wonders what they are doing wrong, well here it is folks, NEVER have I heard that term used in a racial way or even thought it to be racist yet it is? > > I bet if I want outside in public and said that nobody would care because its not racist... I got my first reply. So far I have been told that I was displaying **extremely negative behavior** and should only use "that kind language" with my friends if they are comfortable with it. MY FRIENDS THAT WERE IN THE GAME DIDN'T KNOW IT HAD ANY OTHER MEANING EITHER. My friend in discord was the only person who knew it could be considered "racist". V_V I am really scared right now. 6 years of my life * and $800* are about to be gone because I didn't know a innocent sounding word could be racist.
: Coons can also be Maine Coon cats. I often hear that "my coon's fur's matted again" and such. I like Maine **Coons.** Oh no, it's a cat **race.** So I am racist² now?
> [{quoted}](name=Teemo Gromp,realm=EUW,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=i87BeNyE,comment-id=0018,timestamp=2018-05-24T20:00:39.283+0000) > > Coons can also be Maine Coon cats. I often hear that "my coon's fur's matted again" and such. > I like Maine **Coons.** Oh no, it's a cat **race.** So I am racist² now? ;-; Tbh the first thing that comes to my mind when I say Coon, is the Don't Starve** CatCoon.**
: I think you need to do a quick etymology search for those two definitions. You're right that coon was used as an insult to the Whig party, but that wasn't the origin of using coon as a racial slur. Coon as a racial slur comes from a shortening of the word barracoon, which was basically a cage for slaves. Taking this into our understanding we see that coon, the shortening of raccoon, and coon, the racial slur, are not the same word but homonyms. As a secondary note, the way dictionaries present word definitions is normally in order of usage. So if you're presentation of definitions there follows a dictionary then coon is used as a shortening of raccoon more than it is used as a racial slur. I'm not sure this makes a difference, but it was something I observed and found interesting. EDIT: as for your question about quoting something that is racist while being ignorant of the racism, I don't think it matters. In the way I would handle things, the benefit of the doubt would be given to ambiguous cases. So even though this person has clearly stated that he was quoting something known for using racism the benefit of the doubt would mean that I would assume he was just making the same joke but without the malicious intent.
> [{quoted}](name=Thegreatxiu,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=i87BeNyE,comment-id=00080001,timestamp=2018-05-24T18:45:35.359+0000) > > I think you need to do a quick etymology search for those two definitions. You're right that coon was used as an insult to the Whig party, but that wasn't the origin of using coon as a racial slur. Coon as a racial slur comes from a shortening of the word barracoon, which was basically a cage for slaves. Taking this into our understanding we see that coon, the shortening of raccoon, and coon, the racial slur, are not the same word but homonyms. > > As a secondary note, the way dictionaries present word definitions is normally in order of usage. So if you're presentation of definitions there follows a dictionary then coon is used as a shortening of raccoon more than it is used as a racial slur. I'm not sure this makes a difference, but it was something I observed and found interesting. > > EDIT: as for your question about quoting something that is racist while being ignorant of the racism, I don't think it matters. In the way I would handle things, the benefit of the doubt would be given to ambiguous cases. So even though this person has clearly stated that he was quoting something known for using racism the benefit of the doubt would mean that I would assume he was just making the same joke but without the malicious intent. oh wow this just keeps going deeper and deeper! I love history but I am not familiar with much slave history. I do hope they can see that I had no intention of being racist at all. I have learned two lessons from all of this at least - *Don't say coon* and *Don't reference random bits of south park*
: If you didn't know this, the south park joke was precisely about that word being a racist word. They try to offend everyone equally. Then again I did shout in all chat last night "Release the gay frogs" not thinking that Tahm Kench was right there. I might've gotten reported for that. I dunno nor care anymore though. If you engage in any all-chat cross talk with the enemy team you are risking a report. It's almost like they don't want us to communicate outside of grunts and pointing.
> [{quoted}](name=Praetor Notorias,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=i87BeNyE,comment-id=0017,timestamp=2018-05-24T18:45:21.259+0000) > > If you didn't know this, the south park joke was precisely about that word being a racist word. They try to offend everyone equally. > > Then again I did shout in all chat last night "Release the gay frogs" not thinking that Tahm Kench was right there. I might've gotten reported for that. I dunno nor care anymore though. If you engage in any all-chat cross talk with the enemy team you are risking a report. It's almost like they don't want us to communicate outside of grunts and pointing. Only BM'ing people with emotes is okay now-a-days. I know South Park is meant to make edgy jokes, but I did not get the reference to "The Coon" being racist because I have never heard it used in a racist way. No one on the enemy team told me they were offended, I would have asked why and said sorry.
: I just have to note some things. You said that the word 'coon' is always has racist connotations even when used as a shortening for racoon. This is false. The word that is a racist word is a shortening of another word that isn't racoon. Realistically the two are homonyms, but to treat them as the same word would be just plain false. Also, I'm positive that the point of cartman, or whoever it was, dressing up as a racoon was in order to shorten it to 'coon. Your final bit about turning offense into the offender's problem is a problem. You're absolutely right in that an offended person can take measures to turn the problem onto the offending person, but the problem comes when the offending person has no ill will. This is not niche cases. For this case specifically, Riot literally made a racoon skin for Twitch. Shortening 'racoon' to 'coon' is in no way racist, has no racist connotations, and realistically is not offensive.
> [{quoted}](name=Thegreatxiu,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=i87BeNyE,comment-id=00030000000100000001,timestamp=2018-05-24T18:33:32.286+0000) > > I just have to note some things. You said that the word 'coon' is always has racist connotations even when used as a shortening for racoon. This is false. The word that is a racist word is a shortening of another word that isn't racoon. Realistically the two are homonyms, but to treat them as the same word would be just plain false. > > Also, I'm positive that the point of cartman, or whoever it was, dressing up as a racoon was in order to shorten it to 'coon. > > Your final bit about turning offense into the offender's problem is a problem. You're absolutely right in that an offended person can take measures to turn the problem onto the offending person, but the problem comes when the offending person has no ill will. This is not niche cases. For this case specifically, Riot literally made a racoon skin for Twitch. Shortening 'racoon' to 'coon' is in no way racist, has no racist connotations, and realistically is not offensive. I agree. I was only referring to myself as "The Coon" and did not target anyone. The only way anyone get offended is if even seeing the word "Coon" offends them which makes me feel bad for that individual. I feel like coon is an outdated racial slur that a good portion of people do not know is a racial slur.
Fegone (NA)
: man, the word 'coon' is a legit abbreviation for raccoon. They really don't have to take every single possible way to insult someone as an actual insult. Come on Rito, you're better than that.
> [{quoted}](name=Fegone,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=i87BeNyE,comment-id=0015,timestamp=2018-05-24T18:02:24.489+0000) > > man, the word 'coon' is a legit abbreviation for raccoon. They really don't have to take every single possible way to insult someone as an actual insult. > Come on Rito, you're better than that. I really wish they would not let us say anything that could get us banned in the first place. It really hurts when I am being punished for not knowing something could be even be considered racist.
archerno1 (EUNE)
: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMchvKOAkDo
> [{quoted}](name=archerno1,realm=EUNE,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=i87BeNyE,comment-id=0011,timestamp=2018-05-24T15:37:51.172+0000) > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMchvKOAkDo I guess I am forest Gump :(
: This is an interesting conversation, and a complex one at that. First, let's look at the offending word in question. "coon". A word with two very different meanings. 1- A shortening of of the word "Raccoon". commonly used in (but not exclusive to) the rural south. 2- A racist slur targeted against black people, attributing the perceived negative traits of the namesake animal to them, thereby devaluing and dehumanizing them. (edit: Origins of the slur. "The colloquial abbreviation coon is used in words like coonskin for fur clothing and in phrases like old coon as a self-designation of trappers. In the 1830s, the United States Whig Party used the raccoon as an emblem, causing them to be pejoratively known as "coons" by their political opponents, who saw them as too sympathetic to African-Americans. Soon after that the term became an ethnic slur,especially in use between 1880 and 1920.") Historically, the first definition is the proper definition. In fact, various dog breeds are referred to as "coon hounds", and raccoon hunting is commonly called "coon hunting" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coon_hunting (I also suggest reading "Where the red fern Grows") I do believe it is possible to be ignorant of the second definition while knowing the other, especially in the current social climate where casual racism is vilified harsher than in the past. Where this gets a bit tricky is that the OP is specifically referencing South Park's Cartman, a character who is a known racist, and whos alter-ego "The Coon" is a clear reference to the racial slur, while maintaining technical innocence by having him dress up as the first definition. Its clever dark humor, if not exactly tasteful. This joke is made (as several are in South Park) in parody of the subject. Cartman is meant to be an unlikeable ass, representing several negative qualities in a single person for us to laugh at. I think in a case like this, intent is the most important aspect of whether someone should be considered guilty of a "crime". Just as in real life, where accidently killing someone carries a far different punishment than intentionally killing them. (manslaughter vs murder). So the real question here is: Was OP intentionally racist, and if so, can we prove it? We don't have chat logs/recordings to go off of. Also: Does quoting something blatantly racist while being entirely ignorant of the context and the meaning of what was said make the mimicry inherently racist? This isn't a simple discussion. Either way, though, I believe it is a mistake to assume every use of word with dual meanings is referring to strictly one of those definitions. Context and intent are important when deciding whether punishment should be handed out or not.
> [{quoted}](name=R35URR3C710N,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=i87BeNyE,comment-id=0008,timestamp=2018-05-24T10:09:26.409+0000) > > This is an interesting conversation, and a complex one at that. > > First, let's look at the offending word in question. "coon". A word with two very different meanings. > 1- A shortening of of the word "Raccoon". commonly used in (but not exclusive to) the rural south. > > 2- A racist slur targeted against black people, attributing the perceived negative traits of the namesake animal to them, thereby devaluing and dehumanizing them. > > (edit: Origins of the slur. "The colloquial abbreviation coon is used in words like coonskin for fur clothing and in phrases like old coon as a self-designation of trappers. In the 1830s, the United States Whig Party used the raccoon as an emblem, causing them to be pejoratively known as "coons" by their political opponents, who saw them as too sympathetic to African-Americans. Soon after that the term became an ethnic slur,especially in use between 1880 and 1920.") > > Historically, the first definition is the proper definition. In fact, various dog breeds are referred to as "coon hounds", and raccoon hunting is commonly called "coon hunting" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coon_hunting (I also suggest reading "Where the red fern Grows") > > I do believe it is possible to be ignorant of the second definition while knowing the other, especially in the current social climate where casual racism is vilified harsher than in the past. > > Where this gets a bit tricky is that the OP is specifically referencing South Park's Cartman, a character who is a known racist, and whos alter-ego "The Coon" is a clear reference to the racial slur, while maintaining technical innocence by having him dress up as the first definition. Its clever dark humor, if not exactly tasteful. This joke is made (as several are in South Park) in parody of the subject. Cartman is meant to be an unlikeable ass, representing several negative qualities in a single person for us to laugh at. > > I think in a case like this, intent is the most important aspect of whether someone should be considered guilty of a "crime". Just as in real life, where accidently killing someone carries a far different punishment than intentionally killing them. (manslaughter vs murder). > > So the real question here is: Was OP intentionally racist, and if so, can we prove it? We don't have chat logs/recordings to go off of. > > Also: Does quoting something blatantly racist while being entirely ignorant of the context and the meaning of what was said make the mimicry inherently racist? > > This isn't a simple discussion. Either way, though, I believe it is a mistake to assume every use of word with dual meanings is referring to strictly one of those definitions. Context and intent are important when deciding whether punishment should be handed out or not. Thank you for the information. It makes sense now why it can been seen as a racial slur. It is just very frustrating when I have never heard it being used as one and I live in Louisiana, a state where I have met racist people in the past. I have only watched a few episodes of south park and did not know that "The Coon" was suppose to be any edgy name for his superhero. I honestly just thought the way he said "The COON" was funny and I tried to mimic being a superhero as Twitch. I would appreciate if you would read my chat logs and let me know if you can understand the context I was using it in. Thank you for your time! * BTW I'm 20 and feel like a child who said a word that they didn't know was bad. My brain kind of hurts tbh x-x*
: Don't Say The Word "Co-on" In League of Legends Either
Game 1 In-Game wizardhunter: IM A COON - *I realize the twitch skin is a Raccoon* wizardhunter: Fear The COON - *I start talking as "The Coon" w/o knowing that it had any other meaning besides raccoon* wizardhunter: FEAR THE COON wizardhunter: THE COON COULD BE ANYWHERE wizardhunter: HOLD UR UTTERS CLOSE COW wizardhunter: THE COON IS GONNA GET A SUCK - *I apologize for verbally assaulting a cow* wizardhunter: THE COON IS COMING wizardhunter: THE COON IS ALWAYS WATCHING wizardhunter: THE COON ALWAYS GETS REVENGE wizardhunter: ARE YOU ASKING THE COON? wizardhunter: THE COON AND BIRD BOY WILL DOMINATE wizardhunter: THE COON AnD FRIENDS WIN AGAIN *Even referring to the show/game* wizardhunter: POPPY HOW ARE THOSE TOOTHPICKS? *Poppy killed Camille* wizardhunter: THE COON IS ALWAYS WATCHING wizardhunter: THE COON WILL RISE AGAIN *I was behind and was referencing the dark knight rises* wizardhunter: The coon.. *cough*.. is too weak *My friend on discord told me someone on twitch got banned for saying coon so I stopped typing it* Post-Game wizardhunter: gg was fun wizardhunter: I hope riot doesn't ban me :( *I say this because I was level honor 0 2/3 and was not trying to be racial or toxic.* Here are ALL of my chat logs. I believe halfway through the game I stopped acting like "The Coon" because my friend in discord was like "You better stop, you could get banned". The Alistar on the enemy team refereed to me as "The Coon" a swell and I hope he did not get punished. No one that was actually in the game on my team told me about "The Coon" being a racial slur. I was just trying to get the people on my team to laugh.
: "Or" questions can't be answered with "yes or no".
> [{quoted}](name=Declovone,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=i87BeNyE,comment-id=0005,timestamp=2018-05-24T08:52:04.384+0000) > > "Or" questions can't be answered with "yes or no". Yea don't think I can edit it now x-x I made it very late last night
: seriously? coon is a racist term? who even uses that? its the first time ive ever heared this in my life. ive only ever seen it used in context of the animal. something is seriously wrong, if you can ge punished for using a certain word, because its interpretation is automatically defaulted to an obscure, racist context, even when its clearly not used in that context. am i never allowed to use the word "monkey" anymore, just because its sometimes used in a racist context against black people? this is honestly getting ridiculous. if its not an obviously racist word like "%%%%%%", that only has one clear interpretation, slow it down with the censorship. context matters. edit.: lol, cant even get my point across because of said censorship.
> [{quoted}](name=Critmaster Garen,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=i87BeNyE,comment-id=0002,timestamp=2018-05-24T07:35:26.264+0000) > > seriously? coon is a racist term? > > who even uses that? its the first time ive ever heared this in my life. ive only ever seen it used in context of the animal. > > something is seriously wrong, if you can ge punished for using a certain word, because its interpretation is automatically defaulted to an obscure, racist context, even when its clearly not used in that context. > > am i never allowed to use the word "monkey" anymore, just because its sometimes used in a racist context against black people? > > > this is honestly getting ridiculous. if its not an obviously racist word like "%%%%%%", that only has one clear interpretation, slow it down with the censorship. context matters. > > edit.: lol, cant even get my point across because of said censorship. It is very strange to be honest. I feel like context should matter most of all but it is hard to say what a word means when everyone has different ideas. I honestly wish Riot would just BAN words that can get you BANNED so people won't say them. I would have never considered "Coon" a racial slur.
Chermorg (NA)
: I'd wait for the support ticket. I'll admit I'm not holding my breath, but a situation like this is definitely more towards the "I think they *might* give a second chance" side of the spectrum as opposed to the "don't even try" side. No guarantees. I'd recommend being very patient and polite in the support tickets with RIot - you'd be surprised how far that can go (not just with Riot but in life in general).
> [{quoted}](name=Chermorg,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=i87BeNyE,comment-id=0001,timestamp=2018-05-24T07:29:59.654+0000) > > I'd wait for the support ticket. I'll admit I'm not holding my breath, but a situation like this is definitely more towards the "I think they *might* give a second chance" side of the spectrum as opposed to the "don't even try" side. > > No guarantees. I'd recommend being very patient and polite in the support tickets with RIot - you'd be surprised how far that can go (not just with Riot but in life in general). Thank you, I hope so. I really hope that I can explain to them my side and how innocent my intention was. I was on honor level 0 but working my way up and was defiantly not trying to provoke anyone.
: >I was honestly having a blast talking like Cartman from South Park to my friends and everyone was laughing. Cartman is only funny given the context: he's a rude jerk and a perfect example of someone you wouldn't want to be friends with. That's more or less Matt Stone and Trey Parker's take on the character. So, saying pretty much anything he says without the context that you were imitating a South Park character would more than likely be interpreted as rude. And not everyone even watches South Park, and fewer have watched episodes involving his alter-ego "The Coon" (as far as the episodes I've seen, is just a Batman parody. And yes, I've grown up in the South and definitely knew that was a slur. Further, if you were playing with others that weren't your friends, you're exposing them to what is otherwise looking like slurs and insults.
> [{quoted}](name=Periscope,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=i87BeNyE,comment-id=0000,timestamp=2018-05-24T07:28:06.255+0000) > > Cartman is only funny given the context: he's a rude jerk and a perfect example of someone you wouldn't want to be friends with. That's more or less Matt Stone and Trey Parker's take on the character. So, saying pretty much anything he says without the context that you were imitating a South Park character would more than likely be interpreted as rude. And not everyone even watches South Park, and fewer have watched episodes involving his alter-ego "The Coon" (as far as the episodes I've seen, is just a Batman parody. And yes, I've grown up in the South and definitely knew that was a slur. > > Further, if you were playing with others that weren't your friends, you're exposing them to what is otherwise looking like slurs and insults. Thanks for the feedback. I have only watched a few episodes of South Park and watched a Youtuber play one of the games where he was "The Coon" so I didn't get the reference to it being a slur. I was only playing with friends on my team, but I was talking in all chat referring to myself. I wish I had heard that this term was as slur before because I feel like a kid who didn't know something was a bad word getting a part of my life ripped from me X_X
Rioter Comments
Terozu (NA)
: Trash talking, actually is fine.
You say that "kys" is not okay but why does riot even let us type it. TBH THIS "?" triggers me way more than kys. Its stupid that Riot lets people even type it if it is a bannable thing. I would honestly be fine with people saying whatever they want, as long as THEY DON'T INT/FEED because there is a thing called Mute for a reason. Riot won't change though so they should at least stop us from getting in trouble.
: I am unbanned!
"KYS" is 0 tolerance but I see it in 75% of my games. Wish riot would fix that.
: To the people who claim "KYS" means something different
the thing that I am upset about is THIS "?" triggers me and most players more than someone saying "kys"
AR URF (NA)
: "KYS"=Ban
I just got 2 week banned for it and its crazy to me. I see people say it all the time in game. A lot of other popular games could care less what their community says as long as it isn't racial. I am just upset because I did not go out of my way to tell my teammate to "kys" and be negative, I was purposefully griefed at the start of the game and let my anger out in 3 letters and continued to play the rest of the game handicapped. I don't play games to be treated like I am an employee at Walgreens tbh and should be able to say "fuck you" to someone who is trying to ruin my next 30 minutes. I never grief/int/rage quit and I feel like my teammates would rather me let my anger out than quit the game. (Of course there is a point of being too annoying xD) I think LOL need to have a 'simplified chat and only only you to type certain things like "gg" "thanks"' it could be a punishment and people could just have an option to filter their own chat so they don't get in trouble. Having to type /mute all every game is annoying.
: Honorable Gaming
I didn't see anything in there about "being honorable" when your team is griefing you. That is when it gets hard for me to be honorable, I could care less what people say, but when people afk/int/grief my game, I have outbursts. I think riot needs to add a "self mute" button because it is very hard for me to not say anything rude to someone when they are trying to ruin my next 30 mins. Ik there is the /all mute button but I am seriously not thinking about that when I get in every game and shouldn't have to.
Xurreal (NA)
: This is how it needs to be...
wish I could click a single button to only allow myself to type simple postive things but NOPE. I don't want to type /mute all every. single. game.
Brotha (NA)
: Self mute = /muteall You're welcome.
> [{quoted}](name=Brotha,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=8ad0wqBp,comment-id=0002,timestamp=2017-11-17T02:21:06.460+0000) > > Self mute = /muteall > > You're welcome. Ya I would love to type that in every. single. game. >_>
: Did you know people come with the ability to self mute and if they really wanted to they could at any time enact that. In addition there are many ways (youtube) to self mute already
> [{quoted}](name=Magical Player,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=8ad0wqBp,comment-id=0000,timestamp=2017-11-16T22:27:24.830+0000) > > Did you know people come with the ability to self mute > and if they really wanted to they could at any time enact that. > In addition there are many ways (youtube) to self mute already Well I am sorry for wanting to be able to check a box to mute myself in client. And some people go from playing games where cursing/taunting is fine so controlling it can be difficult :/
Öakk (NA)
: KYS actually means "Kevin Yawns Silently". I'm confused.
> [{quoted}](name=Öakk,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=8ad0wqBp,comment-id=0001,timestamp=2017-11-16T23:08:35.039+0000) > > KYS actually means "Kevin Yawns Silently". I'm confused. I thought it meant "know your stuff"
Rioter Comments
: >I could understand a chat ban or 24 hour ban to tell me to cool off but 2 weeks? You told your support to commit suicide. There is no justification you can come up with that'll ever make that acceptable. I don't care what they did - it's zero tolerance for a good reason. If you're serious about disabling chat, I wrote a howto a while back: https://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/player-behavior-moderation/ghKQoeu8-how-to-unbind-your-enter-key-to-prevent-inadvertent-toxicity
> [{quoted}](name=Karunamon,realm=NA,application-id=ZGEFLEUQ,discussion-id=Fc0VzAQV,comment-id=00080000,timestamp=2017-11-15T16:12:54.671+0000) > > You told your support to commit suicide. There is no justification you can come up with that'll ever make that acceptable. I don't care what they did - it's zero tolerance for a good reason. > > If you're serious about disabling chat, I wrote a howto a while back: https://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/player-behavior-moderation/ghKQoeu8-how-to-unbind-your-enter-key-to-prevent-inadvertent-toxicity I saw your post and planned to use it when I get my account back :P Many other games could care less what their community says as long as they don't spam, but Riot doesn't approve so that is why I plan to not allow myself to type. That term has become very common and has lost its meaning to many people online and usually just means "your irritating" and people just ignore it, but not to everyone so I understand why Riot is becoming strict on the term. I feel like they should just not allow people to type "k y s" and things like racial slurs at all if they do not want summoners to ever use it. Whenever I accidentally steal my jungler's first buff and they become aggressive with me I still apologize and just take the insults because I know i just slowed their and potentially our teams entire game progression down. When someone intentionally takes your first buff, it hurts even more. I am not saying what i did was right but I am only human and can't help but say rude things when people try to ruin my time. "K y s" honestly means " your irrating" to me and I see it frequently on league & almost every other game so it just popped out of me. I know I am suppose to "shut up and play" but its SO hard to not say anything when you know the next 30 mins are going to be painful. I honestly wish I had just disconnected from the game right there and then w/o typing because I would have only gotten a leave buster. (Rioter told me this, it honestly hurts knowing that) I know its hard to balance that but stillll it sucks. I also know stricter punishments are more effective because most people have alt accounts but I don't use alt accounts and anytime my account gets in trouble I flip out and take it seriously because I care about my account and just want to play the game. Also just a personal note, I could care less what people say in online games, actions are stronger than words to me and I would rather have my yasuo telling me to "k y s" while still trying his best and not griefing my next 30 mins. That is why I can never afk/int/grief purposefully. I also might just be immune to " sh** talking* because I play so much ranked.
: Vent: There need to be stronger punishments for people who ragequit
I just want the punishment system to be more fair for what you do. I never feed/int/afk yet I said kys kys twice at a start of a match in rage because my support had smite and smited my blue buff on purpose. The rest of the game I was insulted, had my buffs stolen purposely by support, and kept being told to go afk yet I did not insult him back. But because I got angry at the start, I got a 2 week ban, just the same as he most likely did even though I was 1/10 as toxic. I could understand a chat ban or 24 hour ban to tell me to cool off but 2 weeks?... I am honestly scared when I play LOL sometimes because I go from playing Rust - extremely toxic game - to league and its hard to not instantly type " s t f u " and " k y s " when I am insulted by my own team. When my ban is done I am just going to find a way to not allow myself to type and I hope I won't have any more issues.
: Please stop paid missions
I like the paid missions *mainly cuz cool gemstones/wards/icons* but it seems strange that you have to grind for something that you pay for. I like this championship one the least so far because you have to play every week and I also feel that the chromo and ward are overpriced.
: Star Guardian stickers land on Boards
Love how they copied Yuno from future diary {{sticker:sg-jinx}}
: This new Janna passive looks incredibly bad on paper
why would riot give janna that passive wtf? Lollll I don't understand
: Frequently Asked Questions About the Upcoming Leveling and Rewards Changes
I don't think I am gonna get that legacy rune ward, that makes me so sad. So basically, at most I am gonna get a few emotes for playing the game a certain amount of time and 15% of my hard earned IP back that I spent on runes. "Heavy sigh". Woah I can prob get like 25 chromas though or one whole gemstone lol.... I am not happy v-v
: LFG for Onslaught
: LF Onslaught Players
Parceval (NA)
: I, for one, like that there are premade quests. Not everything in the game has to be achievable alone. There should be a balance. Thank you for striving to make that happen.
> [{quoted}](name=Parceval,realm=NA,application-id=3ErqAdtq,discussion-id=dYHJ9rgE,comment-id=00200027,timestamp=2017-09-08T17:59:17.894+0000) > > I, for one, like that there are premade quests. > > Not everything in the game has to be achievable alone. There should be a balance. > > Thank you for striving to make that happen. or how about 2 options? what if I don't want to play with a premade team? stupid that if I don't I miss out on rewards
: @Riot : These Star Guardian Quests Ask Way Too Much of the Player(s)
Honestly the game mode itself is extremely hard to beat *plat player here* and then the missions also REQUIRE a premade team? Riot what is this man? Couldn't have made it easy for us/you could you? loll I expected the game mode to be fun but its more annoying than fun to me.
: How to Reward Vets (Without just dumping 30+ boxes on them)
I think something riot could do is make hoodies that show off your account stats (maybe a little customizable) and give % discounts for how old your account is.
: We started here, here we are now!
took me 1 week to get honor 3. Took me 3 weeks to get honor 2
Show more

wizardhunter

Level 95 (NA)
Lifetime Upvotes
Create a Discussion