Hey everyone. We've seen some questions about the speed you earn BE in the new system (compared to the earn rate on IP in the old system). We've always said that most players would earn champions either as quickly or faster than before. To prove it, let's look at the numbers. We want to be as transparent as possible about how everything works.
First, a couple baselines to get us started.
A Leveling Capsule contains champ shards with a BE value of either 720, 900, 960, or 1,240. (The average value is 910 based on drop rates)
A Milestone Capsule (every 10 levels) contains champ shards valued at 1,980, 2,160, or 2,220. (The average value is 2,120 based on drop rates)
* First win of the Day was worth 150 IP, and is now worth 575 XP.
* A 37 Minute Game of PVP SR you WON was worth ~100 IP, and is now worth 251 XP.
* A 37 Minute Game of PVP SR you LOST was worth ~67 IP, and is now worth 205 XP.
So with all this in mind, let’s look at two sample cases:
Carl the Casual plays two games every night. He wins one and gets his First Win of the Day, and then loses the other.
Henrietta the Hardcore plays 12 games every night. Wins six, Loses six, and gets First Win of the Day.
* Carl will Level to 31 after 6 games and 3 Wins of the Day. In the old world, he would have earned ~801 IP. Now, he'll earn either 720 (The worst drop), 900, 960, or 1,240 blue essence. (EDIT: The 6th game, which is a win gives enough XP to level without the Win of the Day, which is why the math seems off. It technically was 6 games and 2 wins of the day of XP to level)
* Henrietta will Level to 31 after 9 games and 1 Win of the Day. In the old world she would have earned ~885 IP. Now she'll earn either 720 (The worst drop), 900, 960, or 1,240 blue essence.
Let's stick with Carl and Henrietta for a little bit longer. What happens when they play over a long period of time?
* When Carl hits level 39, he would have earned a total of ~7,358 IP in the old system. Now he'll have 6,480 blue essence (if every roll was bad which is 0.005%), 8,190 blue essence (the average rolls), or 11,160 blue essence (if every roll was perfect)
* When Henrietta hits level 39, she would have earned a total of ~8,381 IP in the old system. Now she'll have 6,480 blue essence (if every roll was bad which is 0.005%), 8,190 blue essence (the average rolls), or 11,160 blue essence (if every roll was perfect)
But now they are about to hit the milestone. At Level 40, they will get the much larger box. So:
* When Carl hits level 40, he would have earned ~8,309 IP in the old system. Now he will have 8,460 blue essence (if every roll was bad which is 0.002%), 10,310 blue essence (the average rolls), or 13,380 blue essence (if every roll was perfect).
* When Henrietta hits level 40, she would have earned ~9,383 IP. Now she will have 8,460 blue essence (if every roll was bad which is 0.002%), 10,310 blue essence (the average rolls), or 13,380 blue essence (if every roll was perfect).
So based on this, in the very unlikely event that every box you open is the worst case, you can end up a bit shorter in the new world. But **most players** will end up quite a bit better off.
And this is BEFORE one more consideration. Let’s say you drop a Jinx shard which DE’s for 1,240 Blue Essence. If you need to unlock Jinx, you can use the Shard to get her for an extra 20% off. This means instead of paying 6,300 Blue Essence, you actually only pay 3,780 and use the shard. You basically get DOUBLE the BE value if you need that champ. So if you’re a new player who wants to unlock all the champions, each time you drop a champ you still need, we’ve greatly increased your IP/BE gain even more.
Hopefully this shines some light on what you can expect moving forward in the new system. As you can see, we honestly take want to make the best experience possible, and wanted to be sure things were an improvement. If you need champions, you are earning them a ton faster, and that’s not even including the new free runes. That being said, we also take feedback seriously. Reading all the feedback, and even triple checking our work, we see room for improvement.
**The 720 drop from the leveling chest feels low to us, so we’re going to bump that up to 810 (This will change Henrietta’s worst case at level 40 to 9,270 blue essence, and the average to 10,580). This change will go live in the next 24 hours or so. **
So keep giving us feedback. We hope you really do enjoy the new leveling system, but if you don’t, let us know. Thanks, and have an awesome pre-season everyone!